XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Technology, Including ships and guns

dipstick

Here we go, with an installment of CTD for most UFOs. This is just to kick everything off. Nothing has been arranged or anything.

Oh and if you were wondering why I put it here, it is because most stuff SHOULD be here, and I am lazy.... and some of it may be moved eventually.

Edit: To be a helpful pest, I converted your text file to rtf format, so you get the wonders of word wrap. Enjoy! -Breunor Edited by Breunor

Hmm, pretty good.
In your ship types, where is the supply ship?
In the mission types, to the end of alien interception, just say that the aliens will also try to take out xcom skyranger transports on their way to and fro the crash site.

You may want to make the end of the battleship part flow better, as it doesn't quite sound right.

The ship shouldn't try and repair it, it should be a rescue and salvage mission, getting the commander or important crew and salvaging materials, as smaller ships don't wield enough special materials to be worth the risk.

To repair a ship with a missile hole in it would be much too difficult. I would have it rescue the survivors and grab the power source (seeing as the ufo components are all about the size of a microwave oven (at least in UFO)), etc, and then burn the ship to the ground so that the natives don't get their hands on it.

I would describe the ships more objectively. What you want here is to inform the player, immerse him in his own little intelligence network, and let him form his own opinions on the spacecraft. Manufacturing opinions for the user is anti-immersive because you're telling him what to do, rather than letting him do it on his own.

That has to be the best phrase on this entire site (no offense to anyone else) also, I have not done ALL the ships, just the ones I thought of at the time, and many I have seen on the game....

Also, another thought, when someone dies, you lose their armour, weapons, ammo and equipment??? Hang on, WTF?

Another thought: when you use a stimulant to revive unconscious soldiers, it seems pretty useless. I have gone through an ENTIRE medikit worth of it for them to STILL be asleep! Surely one use should revive 5hp not only 2hp!

(I edited this, maybe instead of multiple post could you do the same please-Deimos :)) Edited by Deimos

Well, that was probably a number error on the designer's part. Or you could say that the alien stun bombs are so powerful that you need a ful kit's worth of stime to revive them.

On a related note, I would like to be able to use the medkit on aliens. I mean, there are plenty of times when that stupid assed sectoid commander critically wounded himself with that blaster launcher, and he usually dies before I can find that straggling b^stard.

You know, I've always wondered about stimulant and pain killers. It's like math... what's the point? Somebody shed light on this ignorant rodent.

While you're on it, explain to me the usefulness of the mind probe too. So i know his stats, his status, and the beetch he took to the prom. So what?

Lets see, to answer your question:
Stims revived stunned soldiers and boosted energy. (orange bar)
Pain killers increased the morale of any soldier who had been wounded.

Mind probes let you see wether this sectoid in your small launcher's sights is a worthless soldier, or a priceless commander.

hmmm... well I guess that's how the planners planned them to be. but pain killers aren't half as effective as icing an alien. And you can finish a whole medkit's worth of stim, and the daern thing still wouldn't get up. As for mind probe, I'm usually on stun first ask questions later. So really, while they're supposed to hae their uses, I haven't found any of these things of any worth.

I am now heavily involved in crash site recoveries - if I know it is a muton site I usually ditch the mind probes and stun launchers and equip heavy plasmas to everyone. The stunners are almost useless sometimes. Saying that, I sent a rookie through the door of a muton supply ship. I was right next to a muton. I thought that he would reaction fire even if I moved, so I shoot him with HP. He just looks at me and fires a stun bomb. HE IS ONE SQUARE AWAY! He is knocked unconscious, and yet my man is unaffected?! Ummm, something wrong there!

Anyway, going back to medikits, shouldn't there also be another function to heal people without critical wounds? That would be good. Then you could eventually heal your captain/commander etc and e could return with minimal injuries.

Another thought - I have avengers now. But they spend most of their time in a hangar. why?? Because they have been scratched by a battleship or something! They have say 10% damage, and I may not see them for over a month!!! That cannot be right!

Sometimes your guys may get lucky.

Your idea has been discussed, but everyone seems to think it will need playtesting.

Your avengers are primarily alien tech, do you know how much time it takes to paint them? In all seriousness, the avengers are time consuming to repair because, they have a large amount of armor that is burned off by plasma weapons.

and why not?
I was engaging 2 supply ships, and a scout as well at the same time you know! I sent my interceptor to deal with the rest, and my avenger to the battleship. Strange though - it took less shots to destroy the Bship than either of the supply ships :huh?:

Well, it did keep saying UFO hit. Maybe just one hit, or maybe that was from the previous one?

That brings up a point. There should be some sort of system to make sure you know how many hits you have scored.

About ships.txt:

Erm... Terror ship has 20-40 alien aboard? What is that? Toughest invasion force? Your skyranger can take 14 most and avenger 26... I guess that's heck too much. I think that count of crew aboard was quite good, in original X-Com, and missions would become terribly long. Edited by Extralucas

[quote name='dipstick' date='Sep 20 2003, 02:24 PM']Well, it did keep saying UFO hit.  Maybe just one hit, or maybe that was from the previous one?

That brings up a point.  There should be some sort of system to make sure you know how many hits you have scored.[/quote]
I suggest a ticker bar like is going to be used in Aftermath. We will all know how it works in a couple of weeks so it may be a good place to start.

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Sep 20 2003, 03:48 PM']Well, dipstick is a masochist, he wants over 500 aliens per medium scout right dippy? :)[/quote]
well actually I want less.

I am looking at XCOM 1 and thinking: how many ***** sectoids ARE there in this stupidly small ship! There are more than in XCOM 2.

That said, I have never taken out a terror ship or the like in either game. The most I have done is a supply ship.

Also, opn a terror ship, think about it. You have your terrorists - around 12, maybe more on higher levels. Then you have the 12 or so crew needed to fly the damn thing as well! That is 24 in my book.....

In you book isn't aproximate 20 but 20-40. There's quite difference. BTW, where's said there must be same count of terrorists and main race? Only few of 'em are navigators and engineers. One or two leaders. Rest are soldiers. And... 12 chryssalids is really much. Crew should depend on difficulty level, I think.

[quote]That said, I have never taken out a terror ship or the like in either game. The most I have done is a supply ship.[/quote]

You mean, you never won terror mission in X-Com1? If yes - then why do you want making it even harder? :wacko: ;)

Edit: And about crew in X-Com 2. I really hated that. Big map, USO sticked somewhere, and 2 or 3 aliens roaming around. Missions were long and annoying that way. <_< Edited by Extralucas

Nothing wrong with cyberdisks! They couldn't hit anything!

Oh and the matter of them self-destructing - well I make sure they blow up next to a sectoid :D

Sectopods??? Aren't they those things that float around attracting plasma cannon shots like confetti? :devillaugh: Edited by dipstick

Sectopods are like the mechs of the xcom universe. They look rather like something out of battletech. Also, sectopods are damn near immune to most weapons, especially plasma (usually 8 shots from a hp for me!) Sectopods carry a plasma gun that seems to deal a huge amount of damage (killed 2 guys in flying suits in one hit, while they survived 3 heavy plasma shots in a previous mission) Sectopods also have a fair amount of tus and Tons of armor and health. Lastly, their super plasma gun is auto. Like a beefed up heavy plasma really.

Well, they are vlunerable to lasers, and I just love the smell of scorched sectopod in the morning. :) And with my uber psi squad, you eths won't stand a chance! Of course, you are safe El, because I never seem to find etherial bases. :)

I'm on mars! :P

And I always equip my troops with lasers. (Used to equip with heavy ones, and even beat game with 'em but then realized that I don't really need 'em ^_^ )

I believe I did see a few sectopods on an etheral terror mission - I didn't stay long. I verified that it was etheral, and that it was incredibly tricky to move three squares without getting shot at by loads of etherals and sectopods EVEN THOUGH I DROPPED THE LEADERS! I probed two etherals that were standing about 10 squares away, and I either stunned them or killed them, but morale appeared to be unaffected. After that I abandoned the terror site, and dropped a few fusion bombs on my way out.

Same thing I'm doing with lobstermen in TFTD... And this time I was lucky during my experienced game - I caught Sectoid Leader and developed PSI tech before Eths popped up.

@ Cpl. Facehugger:
We're stealing it from you bases. :devillaugh:

• 1 month later...
Here is the long-awaited next installment of my proposals.

I suggest you don't take the ion tech too seriously with the scienctific backround I have given it :D And yes, I do know exactly what electrolysis is.

Edit: And another rtf conversion for you. -Breunor Edited by Breunor