XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Missile Defense Array

Guest Azrael Strife

BTW: is it "Defenses" or "Defences"? I looked in TFTD USOpedia and I got confused

defence is british english, defense is american english. Since we agreed to use amerikan english it should be defense...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- sorry.

Well, you're sorry, but I still need your comment about the "Missile Defense Array" text.

So, what do you say? :unsure:

i was pointing out a spelling mistake (this being used more then that), but i saw that it wasn't really a spelling mistake, and i just oversaw it.

@Kikanaide: How would you know from the begining the fact that the Aliens use their strogest ship to assault? Since I shot all their scouts, in my first game I didn't even know what the defences are good for.

About all rockets at once, I don't know, they can be fired fast, but it doesn't seem very safe to launch all of them at the same time. And why the second turet would not fire at all in the meantime?

I'm not sure about the strongest ships part, can you direct me to where I implied that? I hope I didn't, since I earlier argued against adding penetrating power since we didn't know what would come...bad kikanaide...

The rockets all-at-once thing...well, it's really just a lame excuse to try to fit that "defenses firing...miss" feel that just doesn't make sense in a multiple-rocket scenario... Feel free to ignore it. In fact, please do.

Alternate;

Instead, the missile silos use 1 large missile, hence why if it misses, there are no more shots. Like an IRBM. (ICBM, but, like, way smaller)

In the original, there was only one firing per array, but I feel that this is a totally unrealistic view on things - I mean, if there is a huge UFO about to land on your base, are you really going to say - oh only fire the one missile guys!

The only way this would be plausible is if there was only ONE firing silo per array - like ICBMs, but SAMs usually use multiple barrages - so it would be logical to assume that there are mulitple missiles per array now.

Therefore I would recommend that in gameplay there should be very little damage caused by individual missiles, but, as so many are fired, the sheer number of missiles fired would compensate.

Of course, for v1+ you would have to manufacture those missiles.... :uhoh: :naughty: :wink1:

And in v1+, you should have the option to equip them with Xenium Warheads too. :D

4 Alien Composites + 1 Xenium-122 + 1 Defense Missile = 1 XEDM - Xenium-Enhanced Defense Missile

If you wanted, you could explain the all-or-nothing part with something like "because of the projected speed of assault, one rotary turret will fire all eight missiles simultaneously.  If the target survives and is still far enough away, the second turret will fire..."

No, sorry, you didn't imply that large UFOs are used for assault. I have no idea why I said that. Sorry again. :spank:

I was trying to point out it's not really advisable to write in a text that will be available since the very begining stuff like "projected speed of assault". I mean, the whole project can just waste the governments money, without finding even a lousy UFO. All previous knowledge is anecdotical, thus not trusted in letter.

What do you think?

In short, yes, that makes sense. It could just be a semantic difference, something like saying "operating on the assumption that UFO's are more maneuverable and faster than conventional Earth aircraft," or we could just kick it. You are exactly right, we can't really say much about the Aliens' capabilities, especially in an initial tech.

The other option (which I think you've taken) is to state that it is designed to bring down currently-existing earth technology, with maybe a bit of overkill as a safety factor. That explains why it doesn't do anything for you when the Aliens' come knocking and isn't worth the money it takes to build/maintain.

BTW - please put on a "nice filter" over this...it's currently very late where I'm at and I can't really see the screen...

• 1 month later...

Another moth-balled text comes to life. Just one minor addition, the tracking lasers.

MISSILE DEFENSE ARRAY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base Facilities/MissileDefenseArray

X-Corps bases are constructed deep underground and designed to withstand an extended bombardment, but despite this fact, their vulnerability to an Alien assault has always been a major concern. Should our presence be active enough to be discovered by any scouting UFO, it would be likely that our bases would become prime targets for Alien retaliatory strikes.

X-Corps engineers have improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced Missile Defense Array based on the veteran ‘Rapier’ SAM system, currently used by major world military organizations. While Missile Defense Array is the first facility to be employed in our active defense strategy, unfortunately, our initial knowledge of Alien UFO speed and armor capabilities do not allow us to effectively estimate the possibility of an succesful Alien attack on our bases. Thus, increasing the number of defensive weapons through construction of multiple defense facilites can improve our ability to repel such assaults.

The Missile Defense Array is relatively fast to construct, cheap to install and maintain and provides some security against an alien invasion. The facility is build on a square area with the length of 15 meters and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, two rotatory missile racks, each containing 8 ready-to-launch 'Rapier' missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles delivered through an automatic loading system.

In case of an impending assault, the roof quickly slides back to allow lifting of the rotatory racks, which start to lock on the incoming targets with the help of an array of continuous low power lasers. Inside the control room, protected by steel blast doors, our defensive operators can remotely assist by adjusting the missile trajectories when the tracking devices alone are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

While Missile Defense Array design may be improved later with more complex technology, this facility is a good start toward an active defense against any assaulting enemy and provides increased morale by instilling a relative sense of security among the people inhabiting the base.

"...Flight 372 was shot down by unknown terrorist groups today. So far there has been no reports of any survivors. Missile fragments were found at the crash site, but so far we have been unable to contact any witnesses for clarification and confirmation..."

- Excerpt from news report

"Section Chiefs are to ensure that all defensive systems are set to standby before initiating any base invasion drills."

- Excerpt from memo regarding Incident 372

I really like the additions! It sounds great. :)

A couple things...

"photomolecular supercomputers"- This seems waaayyyy advanced for the start of the game. The facility is supposed to be state-of-the-art, but photonics might be a bit too much. Maybe "molecular supercomputers" would be fancy enough? I know photonics and molecular computers are in currently development, but at least in the former case, there has been little progress in the last couple decades- not nearly enough for it to be imagined as feasible within the next 10-15 years. Then again, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The last paragraph felt a little rough; in my usual Astyanax™ fashion, I've made some suggestions.

While Missile Defense Array design may be improved later with more complex technology, this facility is a good start toward an active defense against any assaulting enemy and provides increased morale by instilling a relative sense of security among the people inhabiting the base.
While Missile Defense Array design may later be improved upon with newer technologies, this facility is our first active defense against enemy assaults. Additionally, it instills a relative sense of security among base inhabitants.

Base facilities don't actually boost morale (which is a soldier stat), so I've changed that part.

Edited by Astyanax

Thanks to Astyanax, a few more additions/changes :)

I know photomolecular seems a bit too advanced, but actually it should be a next generation of computers coming right after semiconductor based computers. They process light instead of electrons, which makes them faster. And it will probably based on nanotubes (hence molecular) for the wiring/semiconducting parts.

The next revolution will be probably based on quantum dots/quantum states processing, but that will take a while. I still trust those guys in the research departments to come up with a photonic computer right in time for the war.

About the morale boosting part, it wasn't about the soldiers, but the engineers, scientists, and so on, I wasn't talking about soldiers in mission. Should I make it more clear or leave it the way it is?

MISSILE DEFENSE ARRAY

X-Corps bases are constructed deep underground and designed to withstand an extended bombardment, but despite this fact, their vulnerability to an Alien assault has always been a major concern. Should our presence be active enough to be discovered by any scouting UFO, it would be likely that our bases would become prime targets for Alien retaliatory strikes.

X-Corps engineers have improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced Missile Defense Array based on the veteran ‘Rapier’ SAM system, currently used by major world military organizations. While Missile Defense Array is the first facility to be employed in our active defense strategy, unfortunately, our initial knowledge of Alien UFO speed and armor capabilities do not allow us to effectively estimate the possibility of an succesful Alien attack on our bases. Thus, increasing the number of defensive weapons through construction of multiple defense facilites can improve our ability to repel such assaults.

The Missile Defense Array is relatively fast to construct, cheap to install and maintain and provides some security against an alien invasion. The facility is build on a square area with the length of 15 meters and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, two rotatory missile racks, each containing 8 ready-to-launch 'Rapier' missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles delivered through an automatic loading system.

In case of an impending assault, the roof quickly slides back to allow lifting of the rotatory racks, which start to lock on the incoming targets with the help of an array of continuous low power lasers. Inside the control room, protected by steel blast doors, our defensive operators can remotely assist by adjusting the missile trajectories when the tracking devices alone are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

While Missile Defense Array design may later be improved upon with newer technologies, this facility is our first active defense against enemy assaults. Additionally, it instills a relative sense of security among base inhabitants.

"...Flight 372 was shot down by unknown terrorist groups today. So far there has been no reports of any survivors. Missile fragments were found at the crash site, but so far we have been unable to contact any witnesses for clarification and confirmation..."

"Section Chiefs are to ensure that all defensive systems are set to standby before initiating any base invasion drills."

De nada, dan2.

About "photomolecular supercomputers", I thought you were talking about biomolecular computers (that recently have made news) combined with photonics. Sorry. :P

About the morale boosting part, it wasn't about the soldiers, but the engineers, scientists, and so on, I wasn't talking about soldiers in mission. Should I make it more clear or leave it the way it is?

Personally, I think it should stay as it is; trying to distinguish between soldiers, engineers, and scientists would make the sentence a bit unwieldy, and imho, it's too fine a point to be worth the effort of putting it in.

About "photomolecular supercomputers", I thought you were talking about biomolecular computers (that recently have made news) combined with photonics.  Sorry. :P

Personally, I think it should stay as it is; trying to distinguish between soldiers, engineers, and scientists would make the sentence a bit unwieldy, and imho, it's too fine a point to be worth the effort of putting it in.

Biomolecular? Hmm, those will be always too slow. Physics is waaaay better for computers, in my minor view.

So you like my text? Strange, I'll let you a few days and when you'll have the time I'm sure you'll find more problems with it :)

Thanks for your good suggestions, they're awesome

MISSILE DEFENSE ARRAY

The vulnerability of X-Corps bases to an assault has always been a major concern and the Missile Defense Array was conceived as an initial protection measure. If our activity is discovered to be sufficiently succesful in fulfilling our goals, it is likely that our bases would become prime targets for retaliatory strikes.

X-Corps engineers have improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced Missile Defense Array based on the veteran 'Rapier' SAM system, currently used by major world military organizations. While Missile Defense Array is the first facility to be employed in our active defense strategy, unfortunately, our initial knowledge do not allow us to effectively estimate the possibility of an succesful attack on our bases. Thus, increasing the number of defensive weapons through construction of multiple defense facilites can improve our ability to repel such assaults.

The Missile Defense Array is relatively fast to construct, cheap to install and maintain and provides some security against an invasion. The facility is build on a square area with the length of 15 meters and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, two rotatory missile racks, each containing 8 ready-to-launch 'Rapier' missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles delivered through an automatic loading system.

In case of an impending assault, the roof quickly slides back to allow lifting of the rotatory racks, which start locking on the incoming targets with the help of an array of continuous low power lasers. Inside the control room, protected by steel blast doors, our defensive operators can remotely assist by adjusting the missile trajectories when the tracking devices alone are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

Edited by dan2

• 4 months later...

Completed :)

MISSILE DEFENSE ARRAY

The vulnerability of X-Corps bases to an assault has always been a major concern and the Missile Defense Array was conceived as an initial protection measure. If our activity is discovered to be sufficiently succesful in fulfilling our goals, it is likely that our bases would become prime targets for retaliatory strikes.

X-Corps engineers have improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced Missile Defense Array based on the veteran 'Rapier' SAM system, currently used by major world military organizations. While Missile Defense Array is the first facility to be employed in our active defense strategy, unfortunately, our initial knowledge do not allow us to effectively estimate the possibility of an succesful attack on our bases. Thus, increasing the number of defensive weapons through construction of multiple defense facilites can improve our ability to repel such assaults.

The Missile Defense Array is relatively fast to construct, cheap to install and maintain and provides some security against an invasion. The facility is build on a square area with the length of 15 meters and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, two rotatory missile racks, each containing 8 ready-to-launch 'Rapier' missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles delivered through an automatic loading system.

In case of an impending assault, the roof quickly slides back to allow lifting of the rotatory racks, which start locking on the incoming targets with the help of an array of continuous low power lasers. Inside the control room, protected by steel blast doors, our defensive operators can remotely assist by adjusting the missile trajectories when the tracking devices alone are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.