XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sdl?

cyberdrift

Hi all,

I can't find it now, but I thought there was a thread somewhere where someone was talking about doing some SDL work. Just another moment "when the band I'm in starts playing different tunes", or is that work going on?

I suggested to use SDL only for low level mouse interaction on linux, thats all... Nothing is decided yet on the issue, have to research (or someone research) if it is posible to use only mouse and keyboard features...

Greetings

Red Knight

I've suggested in the past that we replace the directx specific code with SDL since SDL is multiplatform (Windows, Macs, Linux, BSD, etc.) and basically does the same thing as directx. RK :) doesn't like this and I really can't say anything more about the issue since I haven't seen the code base to the engine.

I am reluctant cause i dont know if you will get enough flexibility doing so, and the code is already working, if it turns out that it works i have no objections... just to prove the flexibity of the code yesterday i had implemented over that same driver a parkinson disease helper (for mouse) with almost no code (was a GUI Course homework)...

Greetings

Red Knight

well the purpose of SDL :) is cross platform game development. Almost all games ported from windows to linux use SDL like Neverwinter nights. So if it is good enough for commercial game developers to use I don't see any problems. SDL does basically everything Direct-X does now and supports more platforms already than this project is even planning to. It sounds a bit like we're are recreating something that does the exact same thing SDL does within the engine. Not a bad idea to maybe just wrapper SDL instead to have a xenofriendly API but it be better that we let the SDL developers worry about things like mouse and joystick code support since they do so on fulltime

well the purpose of SDL :) is cross platform game development.  Almost all games ported from windows to linux use SDL like Neverwinter nights.  So if it is good enough for commercial game developers to use I don't see any problems.  SDL does basically everything Direct-X does now and supports more platforms already than this project is even planning to.  It sounds a bit like we're are recreating something that does the exact same thing SDL does within the engine.  Not a bad idea to maybe just wrapper SDL instead to have a xenofriendly API but it be better that we let the SDL developers worry about things like mouse and joystick code support since they do so on fulltime

As i said, i dont have anything with SDL, if it turns out that in both linux and Mac build works ok, we can just remove the directX code without problems... But i am reluctant to broke anything that is working without problems now...

Greetings

Red Knight