XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Alien Breeding

kafros

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D@mn, that was tough... :Brickwall: ( BREAK!!!)

:order:

:crying1:

----

xnet://pegasus.net/Alien/Debriefings/Alien Reproduction.txt

In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (i.e. laying eggs in the ground or burying them).

The results collected from X-Corps research conducted on alien reproduction were more than a surprise though. Most of the aliens captured by X-Corps field operatives are unable to reproduce for multiple reasons (were born without reproductive organs, had their reproductive organs removed etc). The only species that actually reproduce are Vipers, which lay eggs. Spawns, which have been reported in battle operations, were reported to produce new creatures of their species via genetic transformation of hosts. Of course, robotic alien machines such as Terror disks and Artopods, can’t reproduce, they can only be manufactured.

Our troops have recently managed to capture an Alien Reproduction Chamber during a ground assault operation, consisting of various devices that our operatives in the field could only describe as 'incubators'. A very fitting description it seems, as the devices consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which foetuses in various states of development were suspended. The liquid seems to ensure a rapid growth of the embryo's inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without setting is offline, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy. The design of these cells strongly suggests that the aliens which use this process depend completely on laboratory reproduction. This factory-line system could generate thousands of alien clones in a short period of time.

When the full potential of this reproduction method was understood, many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. By setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly not cost-efficient.

The supply of Xenium required for the machine to stay online during the growth of the embryo is surprisingly high. That fact suggests that aliens rely on cloning by using Verticulant tissue, which also explains many of the attacks planned by the alien invaders. [Note: For more information of Verticulants and their use in reproduction of organisms, go on to the Verticulant entry of the Xnet UFOpedia]

In the past many thousands of people have claimed to have been abducted by aliens, sometimes frequently. The truth is far more horrific. Humans are abducted, examined and observed, and the specimens which are genetically better have their genetic material extracted. Women have human-alien hybrid foetuses implanted, and then obtained several months later. We are yet unable to understand the true motives the aliens may have.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device which plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly-cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

----

Sergeant Spoons: Johnson, Granger, take position left of the door. Olli, Carter, right. Jackson, Meeko, you go in when I give the mark"

Granger: Command Acknowledged, Squad Leader, we're moving in...

Johnson: All set, Sir. Ready to proceed.

Sergeant Spoons: Green to go, move in

Carter: Damn, what the heck is this room?

Olli: Big tanks with floating alien bodies… and embryos! Ugh!

Meeko: Oh Gosh… it’s that rookie who went missing last week!

Ground Assault Team Alpha - Mission Log, April 29 2013. AKA "Dark Thursday"

---

Shoot! :crying1: (Only if you want of course! ;) ^_^ )

In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (i.e. laying eggs in the ground or burying them).

Interesting.....very interesting......

LOL LOL LOL LOL

How do you get "alien reproduction"? I assume that you can research it only after getting live versions of ALL species, and assaulting a base. Right?

@Hailfire:

Maybe I should have put her, right? But, as the father is NOT ALWAYS FEMALE, then I should put his. Female-S + Male -> Male, that's what I know from English grammar. And, the word γονέας in greek is a male word. It can either describe father, or the "state of being a parent", either male or female.

And, you could also add some more creative/major comments :P :wink1:

Edited by kafros

Maybe I should have put her, right? But, as the father is NOT ALWAYS FEMALE, then I should put his. Female-S + Male -> Male, that's what I know from English grammar. And, the word γονέας in greek is a male word. It can either describe father, or the "state of being a parent", either male or female.

And, you could also add some more creative/major comments :P  :wink1:

I think I understand. But then any native/speaker of english is going to go: WHAT?!?!?! When talking about parenthood in english there is a defined mother (the female) and father (the male). Crap, I have no idea what I just said. You've now completely thrown me off balance kafros :wacko:

Edited by Hailfire22

When talking about parenthood in english there is a defined mother (the female) and father (the male). Crap, I have no idea what I just said. You've now completely thrown me off balance kafros  :wacko:

Of course the mother is the female.... and the father the male...

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Of course... Maybe I should just put mother... But, that way you are not as EXACT as you should be! That's why I love the hellenic language! Hellins have a great variety of words which they can use, and there is always a word with which you can express EXACTLY (I said E-XA-CTLY) what you want, with no more explanations and notes!!! ^_^^_^^_^

But, unfortunately, I write in English, thus my inspiration and vocal/writing abilities are a bit limited.... :P :P :P :P

:whip:

Edited by kafros

When talking about parenthood in english there is a defined mother (the female) and father (the male). Crap, I have no idea what I just said. You've now completely thrown me off balance kafros  :wacko:

Of course the mother is the female.... and the father the male...

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Of course... Maybe I should just put mother... But, that way you are not as EXACT as you should be! That's why I love the hellenic language! Hellins have a great variety of words which they can use, and there is always a word with which you can express EXACTLY (I said E-XA-CTLY) what you want, with no more explanations and notes!!! ^_^^_^^_^

But, unfortunately, I write in English, thus my inspiration and vocal/writing abilities are a bit limited.... :P :P :P :P

:whip:

Hey, don't downplay english! Every language has it's +'s and -'s. English my be more "in-flexible" to you but then how many people in the world speak Hellenic compared to english? :wink1:

My entire point is that we aren't going to have 6-year-olds playing this game though. Anyone else *should* have an idea on how reproduction is done. But i do see it as a sort of "leader" sentence so i'll let it stay

No comments? Then I guess it is ready :)

Proofread it whenever you want :)

P.S Should we change the title to:

Alien Multiplication Device ???  :WTF:

Should I bring up the patience speech once again? :) , I'll review your text as soon as it is possible to me and see how it is coming along.

Kafros, please post in english so we can all understand you.

I've reviewed your work, your last post, since blehm's suggestions where not implemented in a rewrite (sorry blehm, only the author has the authority to make changes as the text is active and so is the author).

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Reproduction

fixed the heading

The part about other organisms, you should say something else, not just have it be a different sentence which says not much, there must be a purpose of why you focus on mammals and primates when talking about Earth, you could say cause they are the creatures on this planet which have developed a significant intelligence, what you like, but there must be a purpose to the paragraph.

The results collected from X-Corps research conducted on alien reproduction were more than a surprise though. Most of the aliens captured by X-Corps field operatives are unable to reproduce for multiple reasons (were born without reproductive organs, had their reproductive organs removed etc). The only species that actually reproduce are Vipers, which lay eggs. Spawns, which have been reported in battle operations, were reported to produce new creatures of their species via genetic transformation of hosts. Of course, robotic alien machines such as Terror disks and Artopods, can’t reproduce, they can only be manufactured.

“…have been reported… were reported”, repetitive. I suggest you get a little deeper into the various reasons of why the Aliens can’t reproduce, like a summary of some sorts.

Our troops have recently managed to capture an Alien Reproduction Chamber during a ground assault operation, consisting of various devices that our operatives in the field could only describe as 'incubators'. A very fitting description it seems, as the devices consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which foetuses in various states of development were suspended. The liquid seems to ensure a rapid growth of the embryo's inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without setting is offline, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy. The design of these cells strongly suggests that the aliens which use this process depend completely on laboratory reproduction. This factory-line system could generate thousands of alien clones in a short period of time.

I’m not sure if the chambers are found on alien bases or supply ships or wherever, but if the player finds one in a supply ship, it’s going to be incoherent. You don’t specify how the thing works, I assume that ventriculants are used in the machine from the next paragraph, so explain specifically how are they used, when, where, why, also how is the machine powered, I imagine by Xenium. You have to give more information about how it works.

When the full potential of this reproduction method was understood, many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. By setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly not cost-efficient.

I see three main problems with cloning Humans: One is that the machine uses Xenium (if you choose to make it so), Xenium is precious and we cannot produce it, and it consumes too much to be viable. Two, is that the Ventriculants are used for cloning, therefore X-Corps would have to obtain large quantities of live Ventriculants, which they cannot, there is no substitute for Ventriculant tissue. Three, the X-Corps lack the means to feed the Ventriculants with sole DNA strings (check Ventriculant), as I think there is no technology to do that, but it’s 2012 and you may say that there is, but I find it difficult still.

The supply of Xenium required for the machine to stay online during the growth of the embryo is surprisingly high. That fact suggests that aliens rely on cloning by using Verticulant tissue, which also explains many of the attacks planned by the alien invaders. [Note: For more information of Verticulants and their use in reproduction of organisms, go on to the Verticulant entry of the Xnet UFOpedia]

After researching all aliens, there is no doubt that the purpose of Ventriculants is to reproduce the Aliens, researching the Alien chamber would clear all doubts, I suggest you cut this paragraph.

In the past many thousands of people have claimed to have been abducted by aliens, sometimes frequently. The truth is far more horrific. Humans are abducted, examined and observed, and the specimens which are genetically better have their genetic material extracted. Women have human-alien hybrid foetuses implanted, and then obtained several months later. We are yet unable to understand the true motives the aliens may have.

I feel like this belongs to the Alien Abductions

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device which plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly-cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

No problems here, I like this :)

----

Sergeant Spoons: Johnson, Granger, take position left of the door. Olli, Carter, right. Jackson, Meeko, you go in when I give the mark"

This is not proper, if the rookie was cloned, then you’d expect to have Aliens using human clones against us. The fluff text doesn’t have to be completely realistic, but this is somewhat in contradiction with the game. Also, no specific dates :NoNo:

Edited by Azrael

D@mn, that was tough...  :Brickwall: (<-- these walls never break?!?!  I command thee! :cussing: BREAK!!!)

:order:

:crying1:

----

xnet://pegasus.net/Alien/Debriefings/Alien Reproduction.txt

----

---

Shoot! :crying1: (Only if you want of course! ;) ^_^ )

It happened right here, this is the last version posted by Kafros, I don't understand your question.

I've reviewed your work, your last post, since blehm's suggestions where not implemented in a rewrite (sorry blehm, only the author has the authority to make changes as the text is active and so is the author).

Hmmm, didn't know that. But, in another post, I said that I liked the changes made by blehm :(

Alien Multiplication Device

:sly: When I see this suggested I title, I start thinking about an Alien Calculator with more functions than a Texas Instrument Calculator

Also,

Meeko: Oh Gosh… it’s that rookie who went missing last week

Oh Gosh just lacks...Impact...

How about Oh my God! instead?

Edited by tzuchan

Hmmm, didn't know that. But, in another post, I said that I liked the changes made by blehm :(

Sorry, usually it is the writer the one doing the rewrites, if someone suggests changes, the writer usually takes some, scraps others, and modifies others. But if you like blehm's then take it, but my comments stand there as well as not much was modified, in fact, if you take blehm's, then I have some more to comment about.

:sly: When I see this suggested I title, I start thinking about an Alien Calculator with more functions than a Texas Instrument Calculator

Also,

Meeko: Oh Gosh… it’s that rookie who went missing last week

Oh Gosh just lacks...Impact...

How about Oh my God! instead?

Alien Multiplication Device?, yes that sounds like a calculator, you'll have to wait till the provisory leader starts the polls for names for Alien Reproduction.

I say we go with "oh my god" :)

I saw that in the suggested alien names thread. I don't like it either... Maybe I misunderstood :S

P.S. Az, have you deleted my last post which had a latin proverb?

Vade retro! Audaces fortuna juvat!

Ύπαγε πίσω! Η τύχη ευνοεί τους τολμηρούς!

Step back! Luck is for the bold!

I saw that in the suggested alien names thread. I don't like it either... Maybe I misunderstood :S

P.S. Az, have you deleted my last post which had a latin proverb?

Vade retro! Audaces fortuna juvat!

Ύπαγε πίσω! Η τύχη ευνοεί τους τολμηρούς!

Step back! Luck is for the bold!

In the future, post in english, or if you choose to keep posting in any other lenguages, post a translation please.

In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc). Most of the species the alien army consists of are advanced primates. This suggests that they should reproduce in a way similar to ours.

Results collected from our recent studies of alien reproduction had a hidden surprise in store. Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way, in a way we are used to. In fact, only two of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”: the spawn and the viper. The latter lays eggs, while the former infects other species with a toxin which transforms the infected individuals into Spawns. All the other alien species seem to be 99.997% similar, both genetically and physically. This hints that the alien reproduction is far more sinister. We believe that the aliens actually do not reproduce in a way we are used to here on Earth. Instead, they must be cloned in order to serve as “war slaves” under the rule of a more advanced species or an ultimate alien master.

Mission log: “We have discovered a strange chamber hidden in an alien supply craft, filled with embryos. We do not know the purpose of these chambers, but think we have found something new. The Techies back at the lab might want to see one of these things” – Exert from Captain John “Twitch” Avery, after discovery of these new alien “reproduction chambers.”

This chamber, which was recently captured during a ground assault operation, mostly consists of various devices that would be probably described as incubators. The whole system is indeed complex but efficient.

“Incubators” seems to be a very fitting description, as the devices consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which fetuses in various states of development were suspended. The design of these cells strongly suggests that the aliens who use this process depend completely on laboratory reproduction. .The liquid seems to ensure a rapid growth of the embryos inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided by a direct power connection to xenium reactors. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant tissue in the fluid, but no verticulant tissue was found on the fetuses. This is another proof that Verticulant tissue is used in cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Verticulant tissues with different DNA strings (in vitro at their bases). That way, the cells transform into organs, skin and various body parts. The fetuses are then placed in Incubators in a reproduction chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the Incubators. The fact that that alien reproduction chamber was found in a supply ships suggests that fetuses are also transported between bases. With this factory-line system, the alien invaders could generate many alien clones (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a fairly short period of time, if needed, although the power consumption would also be fairly big. This indicates that they pose a far greater threat than we imagined.

When the full potential of this reproduction method was understood, many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly not cost-efficient. Last but not least, we can’t acquire the great quantities of Verticulant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the big quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

Sergeant Spoons: Johnson, Granger, take position left of the door. Olli, Carter, right. Jackson, Meeko, you go in when I give the mark.

Granger: Command Acknowledged, Squad Leader, we're moving in.

Olli: Ready, sir!

Carter: I’m set, sir!

Sergeant Spoons: Green to go, move in girls!

Jackson: I’m in s… Damn, what the heck is this room?

Meeko: Big tanks with floating alien bodies… and embryos! Ugh!

Jackson: gee wiz Christ! That thing is greener and uglier than my snot!

Meeko: I guess it also smells worse than your fart Jackson!

Sergeant Spoons: Dammit, stay alert girls!

Ground Assault Team Alpha - Mission Log

I've done many changes (and took Blehm's into account), so I haven't color coded it, as it is VERY different. Enjoy ^_^

Hey, I've been promoted to a full CTD member??? O_o OMFG o_O???

First off, having finally gotten around to reading blehm's version(Dangit, couldn't it have been in rtf?), I have to say I prefer blehm's as it has a smoother flow to it...

In any case, :chainsaw:

In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc). Most of the species the alien army consists of are advanced primates. This suggests that they should reproduce in a way similar to ours.

This whole paragraph seems too unwieldy, and unnecessarily indepth... perhaps:

Most Terran lifeforms, including humans, reproduce by first exchanging genetic material, which then combines to form the DNA of the new offspring, which then undergoes a gestation period. Of the particular mammilian branch of terran lifeforms, of which humans are a part of, the gestation period occurs inside the reproductive organs of the female. This method of reproduction, while providing less numerous offspring, increases the surviability of the infant offspring as they are born more fully developed. Given that most of the species in the alien army shares traits consistant with the primate family, of which we humans are part of, it seemed reasonable to expect that they reproduce using similar methods.

I would also cut out any references to the ventriculant, as it's entirely too probable that the player may not have even come across a ventriculant yet, much less researched it. I would reccomend replacing it with "masses of undifferentiated tissue" as that's what the vents were descirbed as, and let the player draw his own conclusions. No need to start holding the player's hands if they feel inclined to learn more about how the aliens reproduce after all... Makes it more fun thataway.

I'd comment more, but everytime I try to provide C&C, I seem to provide less suggestions, and do more rewriting than I should... So I'm just providing you with food for thought until the regular commentors come back...

The embryo is located somewhere in the "reproductive system", not the female reproductive organs :P. Reproductive organs are "further down" ;)

Anyway, in order to make research on Alien Reproduction, you MUST have researched most (or all) alien species, both live speciments and autopsies. We will organise a tech tree...

Edit: The first paragraph alternation you provide is definitely much better. I will implement it in the main CTD when I get more suggestions

temp edit: Hey mikker, like my new sig and avatar? :D

Edited by kafros

hmmm, took me 45 minutes to finally break this thing down, check bottom, this thing really needs some work:

Yeah, I don’t really like this paragraph, but it gives some background info and leads into the next paragraph. Let’s just leave it there, and if anything happens, we could just strip it away with our proofreading saws :chainsaw:

Results collected from our recent studies of alien reproduction had a hidden surprise in store. Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way, in a way we are used to. In fact, only two of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”: the spawn and the viper. The latter lays eggs, while the former infects other species with a toxin which transforms the infected individuals into Spawns. All the other alien species seem to be 99.997% similar, both genetically and physically. This hints that the alien reproduction is far more sinister. We believe that the aliens actually do not reproduce in a way we are used to here on Earth. Instead, they must be cloned in order to serve as “war slaves” under the rule of a more advanced species or an ultimate alien master.

Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way, in a way we are used to.

the quoted line seems to repeat for me. Some minor changes with a CTD scalpel should help you with that line.

All the other alien species seem to be 99.997% similar, both genetically and physically.

hmmm, why use the big numbers when you can say “almost 100% genetically and physically similar

My diagnosis is: I think that the above paragraph should be rewritten. I don’t think it looks good and it needs some adjustments such as what I pointed out above. Keep the paragraph, but change it

Mission log: “We have discovered a strange chamber hidden in an alien supply craft, filled with embryos. We do not know the purpose of these chambers, but think we have found something new. The Techies back at the lab might want to see one of these things” – Exert from Captain John “Twitch” Avery, after discovery of these new alien “reproduction chambers.”

This chamber, which was recently captured during a ground assault operation, mostly consists of various devices that would be probably described as incubators. The whole system is indeed complex but efficient.

I don’t like the above line either, it is too short to be a stand alone paragraph, maybe extrude(right word?) it a little bit so it is longer. If you want, I can rewrite it for you

“Incubators” seems to be a very fitting description, as the devices consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which fetuses in various states of development were suspended. The design of these cells strongly suggests that the aliens who use this process depend completely on laboratory reproduction. .The liquid seems to ensure a rapid growth of the embryos inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided by a direct power connection to xenium reactors. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant tissue in the fluid, but no verticulant tissue was found on the fetuses. This is another proof that Verticulant tissue is used in cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Verticulant tissues with different DNA strings (in vitro at their bases). That way, the cells transform into organs, skin and various body parts. The fetuses are then placed in Incubators in a reproduction chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the Incubators. The fact that that alien reproduction chamber was found in a supply ships suggests that fetuses are also transported between bases. With this factory-line system, the alien invaders could generate many alien clones (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a fairly short period of time, if needed, although the power consumption would also be fairly big. This indicates that they pose a far greater threat than we imagined.

What the heck happened to the beginning of the paragraph. You begin that paragraph almost as if you simply deleted what was before it, but easily fixed. I can add a beginning if you want.

I do not like a lot of that paragraph. It was a very good idea, but badly written. It had so many things I didn’t like, I didn’t bother to post them all. Not being rude, just extremely critical

When the full potential of this reproduction method was understood, many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly not cost-efficient. Last but not least, we can’t acquire the great quantities of Verticulant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the big quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

overall, a pretty good paragraph, but two minor grammatical mistakes : first of all, not cost-efficient should be replaced with highly innefficient cost-wise. Second, you say “and practically impossible to collect the big quantities needed for…” Big is a big nono :NoNo: when you are writing CTD’s. Try large instead.

Further research has also shown that these incubators also have a device that plants cybernetic implants in the brain of the freshly cloned aliens. With a specific procedure, these components upload racial memories and all scientific, technical or combat information into the blank mind of the reproduced creatures.

nothing to say here

Sergeant Spoons: Johnson, Granger, take position left of the door. Olli, Carter, right. Jackson, Meeko, you go in when I give the mark.

Jackson: I’m ins… Damn, what the heck is this room?

Jackson: gee wiz Christ! That thing is greener and uglier than my snot!

Sergeant Spoons: Dammit, stay alert girls!

-Ground Assault Team Alpha - Mission Log

Okay, two problems with that. First of all, you don’t need to go so far. Censors cover up you little “swear words” but the situation isn’t extreme enough. I also have a problem with swearing, as to why I bolded up you other misspelling instead of just correcting it.

Try Eeugh! That thing is greener and uglier than my snot!

FINAL WRAP-UP

This CTD is good, but it is in dire need of some plastic surgery and a couple of rewrites. If you want, I can do the rewrites for you, but it isn’t exactly my responsibility

Edited by blehm

This CTD is good, but it is in dire need of some plastic surgery and a couple of rewrites.

If it is in DIRE need of PLASTIC surgery, then it is not good at all. It could be "promising"...

If you want, I can do the rewrites for you, but it isn’t exactly my responsibility

That's a "gentle" way of saying: "I could do it for you, but don't even try asking it!" ?

Don't worry, I wouldn't ask it anyway. It is indeed very helpful when you provide help/suggestions, as I am not a native English speaker, but that's enough. Only help as much as you want, no more ^_^.

I'm not sure I'll have an prepared version this evening... School starts tomorrow, and I have to prepare a C program by 8 Jan... :Brickwall:

Edited by kafros

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, considering this is my first post as a recruit and only second in general, but I have a very rough draft which condenses much of kafros' report into a more easily digested piece of material for the player. It is my personal opinion that a number of the Creative Writing drafts need to be condensed, so feel free to tell me I'm a twit and need to write longer reports. What I have in mind for this report is a short, three screen bit of information with three different pictures to go with it. On the first page, have a picture of a "Grey" (full frontal nudity is required...mmm...alien full frontal nudity) and a supply UFO.

Second we go with the canned reproduction picture. The vats and whatnot. Anyone remember the old screen shot from Enemy Unknown? Kinda like that one. And third we go through the eleven day cycle. Have maybe four stages of the development with the final stage an armed "Grey" soldier.

Remember, I punched this out in about fifteen minutes. There's bound to be a number of grammatical mistakes, so go easy on me there. Feel free to bomb the content all you want.

Here we go:

One of the fundamental differences between our species and the alien invaders is their apparent lack of sexual organs. This has led to a number of theories debating both the cause of their invasion, and the reasons behind their overwhelming numbers. Artifacts captured from downed alien supply ships as well as newly discovered facts dealing with xenobiology have finally shed some light on the mystery.

It is now obvious that most alien sub-species are genetic duplicates with a .007 percent margin of error. The machinery recently captured are vats used for the care and protection of pre-natal fetuses. [This has led to a number of startling revelations, not the least being that there are obviously alien bases on Earth which are most likely to be used as a sort of “growing center” to bolster their undercover ranks amongst the civilian population. These bases are possibly the result of a secret pact between our own governments and the alien menace and should be destroyed as quickly as possible.] *should this be researched before alien bases can be uncovered?*

The workings of the cloning facility are quite simple. A fetus is inserted into a protective cylinder filled with a protein “soup” and fed intravenously. The injection is a heavily concentrated mix of enzymes high in mineral content obviously used to stimulate the growth process in order for an “assembly line” to fill the ranks on Earth. Under nominal operating conditions, it takes approximately eleven days for a new “Grey” to be a fully functional foot-soldier. These facilities must be uncovered and destroyed before we are simply overrun. The startling realization is that no method of creating fetuses has been uncovered. Various surgical instruments have been found that could be used for insemenation and fetal extraction. This may be the reason more females are reporting being abducted than males.

“There has been a steady rise in a type of post-partum depression amongst local women. This is unusual because they are mostly single women with no children.”

Dr. Matthew Roberts, Administrator, Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit, Houston Hospital

----

I haven't taken into account the Viper or the Spawn because I'm lazy. Plus, since it is a sort asexual reproduction the genetic makeup should be similar. Vipers fertilize themselves like earthworms can when there are no mates and Spawns inject their pre-programmed stem cells into a host organism which then feed off the host to recreate more cells which then forms another Spawn. I don't think DNA is being changed there. I don't see how Spawn and Human DNA would merge. But I'm probably wrong. Both bits of infortmation can be easily incorporated into their autopsy reports. I also used "cloning" and "insemenation", which is a logic breakdown. I didn't include the hybrid theory with the base part(aliens amongst us, the bases are the main source of undercover aliens) because I'm lazy. There is a lot of room for improvement in my bit, but it's only a suggestion to help condense the whole thing.

Edited by FinnMacCool

woa, allot ot text.

well, dont wory, you havent done anything wrong. Still... we prefere that insted of making new versions of entrys being done, you should help and comment on the entry, if its currentrly being worked on. and if yuo want to write a entry yourself, you should find on thats not being worked on.

Edited by Qonfused

Well, it was meant to help him condense the whole thing. I looked on the active CTD list and Alien Reproduction was in the red, and I thought that meant it was unassigned. I only spent 15 minutes on a harsh outline and when I saw it was being worked on and after I read it, I thought I'd post it to help him get it shorter and easier for the player to digest. I've got the feeling that these reports are written by the think-tanks for the fellas with the guns and, because of that, jargon should be kept to a minimum. But that's just my opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes the best way to write a research paper is to read other people's research papers :beer:

Don't worry pal, for a "2-post-er", you are doing great! The CTD asset list is a BIT old, it will be updated very shortly by Dipstick or Azrael.

Any suggestions are more than welcome! I take them into serious consideration, usually alter them a bit, and then I update my post ("I" can also be replaced by "we" if you want, we are a team FFS! :P :D).

Anyway, I'm in great stress at the moment. I will try to update this entry as soon as possible, otherwise I will leave it to another volunteer (shame on me :OhBrother:). Anyway, that's life, Xenocide is top priority :)

yes, you cant always trust the asset list, its best to confirm things on you own by reading posts.

there are eks. many abandoned entrys that show up blue on the asset list. if you wish to do one of these abandoned entrys, post in the topic, and you will prob. get a green to try and fix, rewrite it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, let's try again :D. I'll set a leek guard in this post! :Leek:

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Breeding

In order to completely understand the severity and the very kind of the alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavour.

“In Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other earth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc).”

Extract of article taken from “Wukuspedia, The online knowledge vault”

Most of the species the alien army consists of are advanced primates. This suggests that they should reproduce in a way similar to ours. In the contrary, X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce (codenamed for sort “Alien Breeding”). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only two of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”: the spawn and the viper. The latter lays eggs, while the former infects other species with a toxin which transforms the infected individuals into Spawns. In addition, all the other alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

“We have discovered a strange room in an alien supply craft. It was full of strange cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. We are unsure about the purpose of these chambers, but we’ve surely found something new and interesting. The Techies back at the lab will actually love to conduct research on these things, although they are quite exasperating in my opinion …”

- Extract of mission log written by Captain John “Twitch” Avery, after a salvage mission

This chamber, recently captured during a ground assault operation, mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices which we call “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. The whole system is indeed complex, but nevertheless efficient. Incubators consist of a nutrition-rich liquid in which foetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided by a direct power connection to xenium reactors. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant tissue in the fluid, but no verticulant tissue was found on the foetus. This is another proof that Verticulant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed Verticulant tissues with different DNA strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The foetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It isn’t safe to grow the foetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able top solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment.

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium period of time. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost-wise. Last but not least, we can’t acquire the great quantities of Verticulant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

Jackson: Try Eeugh! That thing is greener and uglier than my snot!

Sergeant Spoons: Hey girls, just stay alert!

Eeek, a leek! :P

Wow kafros, I can tell you've spent a lot of time on this. I have some comments (please don't be put off by the formal tone I adopt when editing), but by and large, it looks good so far.

Red text indicates additions, and orange text indicates deletions.

ALIEN BREEDING

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Breeding

In order to completely understand the severity and the very kind of the alien invasion, we must first comprehend the alien species themselves. The full understanding of the alien physiology, the alien anatomy, and the way these aliens reproduce, will aid us in this endeavour.

In the first sentence, "the very kind of the alien invasion" doesn't seem to be the right phrase. Would "the nature of the Alien invasion" be better? Also, I've heard that American spellings are going to be used, hence the change from "endeavour." Out of curiosity, is the convention to capitalize "Aliens"?

In On Earth, mammals and primates (including humans) reproduce via mating. The gametes are combined (and so are their chromosomes, which are actually the genetic information needed in order to produce a new organism), and produce the zygote. Then, one of the parents (usually the female) keeps the zygote inside his its body. The zygote multiplies itself, becomes a fetus, and eventually grows-up into an offspring. This method of reproduction is the most efficient one in predator species, as the fertilized egg is fostered and protected until fully developed into an offspring. Other eEarth organisms reproduce with different methods (laying eggs in the ground, burying them etc).”

Extract of article taken from “Wukuspedia, The online knowledge vault”

The explanation about mammalian reproduction strikes me as odd. On the one hand, I can see you're really trying to introduce a lot of pertinent material to the reader. On the other hand, there is no mention of gamete haploidy, which is an important part of sexual reproduction. To circumvent the issue, I would suggest simplifying: "...reproduce via sexual reproduction: the biological process by which offspring inherit chromosomes from each of its parents." It's inelegant, but it prevents the text from getting muddled with too many details. Additional details can be brought up while comparing and contrasting (i.e. Instead of doing ... like in mammalian reproduction, the Aliens do ...).

Also, the assertion that sexual reproduction is the "most efficient one in predator species"... I don't know. Seems like a controversial statement.

Lastly, is it really necessary to parody "Wikipedia"? It doesn't really add anything to the entry. For instance, "Info.net" would serve the same purpose without drawing the player out of the Xenocide world, imho.

Most of the species the alien army consists of are advanced primates. This suggests that they should reproduce in a way similar to ours. In On the contrary, X-Corps scientists were surprised by the results derived from the from recent studies on the way the aliens reproduce Alien breeding methods (codenamed for sort “Alien Breeding”). Most of the alien species do not actually reproduce in any natural way. That is, in a way we are used to. In fact, only two of the alien species can reproduce “naturally”: the sSpawn and the vViper. The latter lays eggs, while the former infects other species with a toxin which transforms the infected individuals into Spawns. In addition, all the other alien species seem to be almost 100% genetically and physically similar. These facts leaded us to the assumption that aliens actually clone themselves.

"Should" is implied with "suggests" in the second sentence, hence the deletion. Deleted some words in third sentence to simplify.

The next few sentences are a bit disorganized. The fourth and fifth sentences talk about "most Alien species," then the next two sentences talk about the "Spawn and Viper", then the two sentences after that go back and talk about "all other Alien species" again.

The fourth, fifth, eighth and ninth sentences can probably be combined so the text flows better, and the resulting sentences can be moved after the sixth and seventh sentences: "Two of the Alien species can reproduce "naturally": the Viper and the Spawn. The former lays eggs (is oviparous?), while the latter infects other species and transforms them into new Spawns. However, the remaining Alien species do not (cannot?) reproduce without foreign intervention. In addition, these Alien species are nearly identical genetically and physically, suggesting that these Aliens actually clone themselves."

“We have discovered a strange room in an alien supply craft Alien Freighter. It was full of strange cylindrical devices, in which some kind of alien embryos were located. We are unsure about the purpose of these chambers, but we’ve surely found something new and interesting. The Techies back at the lab will actually love to conduct research on these things, although they are quite exasperating in my opinion …”

- Extract of mission log written by Captain John “Twitch” Avery, after a salvage mission

Nice quote! It adds flavor to the text. I would recommend combining the first two sentences, though: "We have discovered a strange room in an Alien Freighter full of strange cyclindrical devices containing some kind of half-formed Alien embryos."

Hm, this might be a consistency problem, though. In the following paragraph, you mention that "it isn't safe to grow fetuses in ships," but Capt. Avery found embryos inside the Alien Freighter.

This chamber, recently captured during a ground assault operation, mostly consists of cybernetic control consoles and devices which we call have termed “incubators”, as it is a very fitting description. The whole system is indeed complex, but nevertheless efficient (very refined?). Incubators consist of a nutrition nutrient-rich liquid in which foetuses in various stages of development were suspended. The liquid ensures a rapid growth of the embryo inside. We have so far been unsuccessful in removing the liquid from the containers without disrupting power flow and damaging the device, as both the incubator and the liquid require a constant addition of energy, which is provided by a direct power connection to xXenium reactors. While conducting research on an incubator, X-Corps scientists found some verticulant Ventriculant tissue in the fluid, but no verticulant Ventriculant tissue was found on the foetus. This is another proof that verticulant tissue is the main factor in alien cloning. In order to produce a whole organism with different cell types, the aliens must feed verticulant Ventriculant tissues with different DNA strands strings (probably “in vitro” at their bases), which make causing the cells transform into various body parts, as i.e. vital organs and skin. The foetuses are then placed in incubators in a breeding chamber, in order to have the energy, nutrients and growth-safe environment (indispensable premises for their complete and successful transformation) provided by the incubators. It isn’t safe to grow the foetuses in ships, as they need a safe environment like an alien base, so that the aliens will be able top solve any malfunctions of this hi-tech equipment.

I like your explanation on how the Aliens reproduce. I deleted lots of words to help the text flow better, but your descriptions remain the same. The "This is another proof..." phrase was deleted because the first proof was never mentioned. Also, I would suggest "specialize" or "diversify" instead of "transform," though. Also, there's the consistency issue I mentioned previously.

Great potential was found in this method of reproduction, because with this factory-line system, the alien invaders generate the various alien clones they need (soldiers, scientists, pilots, engineers etc) in a medium period of time. Many scientific and military agents suggested using these chambers in order to easily and efficiently clone troops. The possibility of using these devices in order to provide rapid production of X-Corps soldiers has been rejected due to a variety of problems. Setting ethical issues aside, we are left with overwhelming technical issues. The incubators need a great quantity of common earth power in order to start their operation and maintain an optimal growth state for the embryo. If we intend to use Xenium, the operation and maintenance of the incubators is also highly inefficient cost-wise. Last but not least, we can’t acquire the great quantities of verticulant Ventriculant tissue needed for this kind of reproduction, as it is dangerous to capture/grown live verticulant Ventriculants, difficult and costly to sustain them and practically impossible to collect the large quantities needed for cloning many soldiers. Nonetheless, feeding DNA strings to all these verticulant Ventriculant tissues is a time-consuming and expensive procedure.

I can't say I like the reasons why the X-Corps can't make clones. X-Corps has money, Xenium, and Ventriculant tissue, and the player can use them as efficiently or inefficiently as they like. The problem with the Ventriculant tissue explanation is this: the Aliens use Ventriculant tissue as a foundation for creating other Alien breeds, right? So the tissue must be easy to propagate; the X-Corps, if determined, could likely find a way to maintain a stable culture. After all, they already did it with the "organic component" of Alien Composites.

Instead, I would recommend: "Human tissue has been found to be incompatible with the cloning process. The Ventriculant tissue's immunological factors immediately reject human DNA, effectively aborting the process before it can even start. Attempts to create Ventriculants have only resulted in inanimate specimens devoid of any brain activity."

This is a nice touch, kafros, however, I think you should specify why uploading memories is an advantage: "...blank mind of the reproduced creatures, thereby generating a newly-cloned individual that can be productive immediately."

Jackson: Try Eeugh! That thing is greener and uglier than my snot!

Sergeant Spoons: Hey girls, just stay alert!

Personally, I'm not too fond of the quote, but it's all right. Some people might take exception to the word "damn," though.

Whew, that's a long piece of text you've written, kafros! There's lots of good ideas, making it a good read. It still needs a bit of polish, but hey, that's what we're all here for, right? ;)

-Asty

Edited by Astyanax

Thank you very much for your help Asty!!! You were most helpful indeed, and I like your explanations and way of thinking.

My writing of English is very bad compared to my Greek writing, but I'll get used to it :P. I'm not bad, but I can do better :D

At least, we at CTD have a friend:

www.dictionary.com

www.thesaurus.com

:D :D :D

You are right, sometimes I enter too much detail, and it doesn't help the "flow"...

Hm, this might be a consistency problem, though.  In the following paragraph, you mention that "it isn't safe to grow fetuses in ships," but Capt. Avery found embryos inside the Alien Freighter.

They don't grow there, they are transported between bases, and this is where they grow. Remember, most Freighter ships are seen on the globe for some hours, and if you are VERY LUCKY, for 1 day... then, they enter a base :S

"Human tissue has been found to be incompatible with the cloning process.

=b =b =b =b =b

"Jackson: I’m ins"

"… "

"Damn, what the heck is this room?"

And hey! We are in the battlefield! These people could die at any moment DAMMIT! They shouldn't be thinking about f**king stuff ffs!

Let's see what people think about it... Probably, I'll delete it...

Personally, I'm not too fond of the quote, but it's all right.

Ideas! New ideas! MORE IDEAS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by kafros

I'm happy to be of help, kafros. Frankly, I'm just glad that I've found a forum-compatible proofreading method that isn't too blunt or overly critical. :)

To be honest, you're English is very good considering it's not your native language. For me, I don't have an excuse: I have to be good at English because it's my only language.

Another couple of things came to mind (when I write, I am constantly re-revising, same goes for proofreading) when looking over your X-Net entry.

Are the Aliens lacking reproductive organs? If so, you could add that in to clarify that they definitely don't reproduce "naturally."

About embryo transport, you had stated that the incubator requires a constant power source. Since it's always on, that implies that it is always incubating, right? Since incubators provide "energy, nutrients, and a growth-safe environment," that would mean aliens are growing on ships. Unless, of course, the incubators have a stasis mode... which you would need to specify. :)

"Jackson: I’m ins"

"… "

"Damn, what the heck is this room?"

Ah, thanks for explaining that.

More ideas, eh? Hm, how about:

Sergeant Spoons: All right ladies, on my mark, move in... MARK!

PFC Jackson: I'm ins...

PFC Jackson: ...

PFC Jackson: ...Damn, what the heck is this?!

PFC Carter: Christ!  It's your momma!

-excerpt from mission log, Ground Assault Team Alpha, "Alien Breeding Facility"

Er... maybe it's a bit contrived. Oh well, I'll let it sit for awhile.

-Asty

EDIT- Interesting, I can't take the Lord's name in vain. :unsure:

Edited by Astyanax

Are the Aliens lacking reproductive organs?  If so, you could add that in to clarify that they definitely don't reproduce "naturally."

Damn, I was sure I had put it....... :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall:

About embryo transport, you had stated that the incubator requires a constant power source.  Since it's always on, that implies that it is always incubating, right?  Since incubators provide "energy, nutrients, and a growth-safe environment," that would mean aliens are growing on ships.  Unless, of course, the incubators have a stasis mode... which you would need to specify.  :)

Nice one :)

Sergeant Spoons: All right ladies, on my mark, move in... MARK!

PFC Jackson: I'm ins...

PFC Jackson: ...

PFC Jackson: ...Damn, what the heck is this?!

PFC Carter: Christ!  It's your momma!

-excerpt from mission log, Ground Assault Team Alpha, "Alien Breeding Facility"

Er... maybe it's a bit contrived.  Oh well, I'll let it sit for awhile.

Let's get more ideas. If we don't, we will "experiment" more on yours :)

Edit:

Wow kafros, I can tell you've spent a lot of time on this.

That's irony, or is it my mind that works in a :cussing: -way? :blink2:

Either case, no offense!!! :D

Edited by kafros

It's quite strange... Azrael and Blehm haven't posted their comments yet...

There are 3 possibilities:

1) They don't want to comment my CTD :crying1:

2) They are afraid of the leek guard :Leek:

3) Their proofreading saws are outta fuel :chainsaw: LOL LOL

Anyway, I'm waiting for them :)

It's quite strange... Azrael and Blehm haven't posted their comments yet...

There are 3 possibilities:

1) They don't want to comment my CTD  :crying1:

2) They are afraid of the leek guard  :Leek:

3) Their proofreading saws are outta fuel  :chainsaw:  LOL  LOL

Anyway, I'm waiting for them :)

Forgot number 4) RL :)

Don't worry, I'll post my comments in good time :naughty: