XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Unit Concepts

Jamaru

Behold , a big@ss android :ar15:

Imagin kickin some alien ahss with a team of these

2 - limited edition 'Biggie' robot. Comes complete with big bore exhaust and 19 inch sub woofer Edited by Sporb

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoa, Sporb, you gotta have a lot of free time! ;)

That simian Alien looks grreat! Feeearsome! *g*

The sectoid armors keep getting better, but somehow sectoids with helmets don't look right... just like that "evil" sectoid - maybe because they are supposed to be feautreless wimps.
The Velvet suit looks cool but not like it would protect him much. Maybe if you cover his belly, that could be used as light armour (15 or so).

The bald guy is neat and the android rocks! Imagine them as walking HWPs - they'd have a lot of armour and strength, but cost a lot.

[quote name='Hobbes' date='Aug 2 2005, 11:58 PM']to Oswald:

Can you make your red muton as separate images for the head, right and left arms, torso and legs? The game makes the battle units combining those separate units and if you make them like that they can be added to the betas. To see what it is need get [url="http://www.daishiva.com/phpbb/index.php?page=2&incpage=http://www.daishiva.com/progLinks.shtml"]PCKView[/url] and look at the .pck files inside the /newunits folder of UFO2000.

Then it would be possible to have 3 types of mutons:  grunt (the basic green one), soldier (your red one) and commander (your red with the shoulder pads and the helmet). They would also have different armor so they would allow for more option while using aliens.
[right][post="127264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks for the link... i will take a look if i can spend some time to it. Maybe at weekend... ^_^

My favourite is the second one without shoulder pads. I think there is no need for three different types of mutons. A bunch of grunts - still green - and one red cmmander would be nice.

[quote name='Sporb']PS oswald , if you can remaster the muton inventory sprite so it looks more muton , thatd be cool (it doesnt look like the mutons in the intro)[/quote]

yeah, just in progress but no time to finish it now... I had problems with his feet, if I remember correctly

edit: your sectoid superhero needs a cape :wink1:

edit: ...and a cannon to jump out for kamikaze :) Edited by Oswald Cobblepot

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Kratos' date='Jul 27 2005, 12:26 PM']To Azrael: Don't start this discussion of xcom story lines here. This topic says "new" aliens, not already made ones. Make a new topic for this.

[right][post="126386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
LOL, forgot about this topic. Kratos, I didn't start any discussion, I merely saw that and it called my attention and I asked, and no, I won't make *any* topic about that :P

edit: Sporb and Oswald, those look awesome, great job :) Edited by Azrael

Bah , stuffit , im gonna make some cooler looking human armour to rival the power suit (which IMHO looks far to bizzare , i want fashion ppl) gonna refit the android's breast plate into some chunky Personal armour

Not intended to replace powerarmour

[quote name='Hobbes' date='Aug 2 2005, 06:58 PM']Can you make your red muton as separate images for the head, right and left arms, torso and legs? The game makes the battle units combining those separate units and if you make them like that they can be added to the betas. To see what it is need get [url="http://www.daishiva.com/phpbb/index.php?page=2&incpage=http://www.daishiva.com/progLinks.shtml"]PCKView[/url] and look at the .pck files inside the /newunits folder of UFO2000.[/quote]

So does this mean that all of this wonderful artwork can now be included in new versions of ufo2000? Or is this only possible with red mutons, which are simply a pallette change of an already implemented alien? I was under the impression that more work was needed to support new alien types. Can anyone comment or clarify this?

[quote name='Tursiops' date='Aug 8 2005, 11:59 AM'][quote name='Hobbes' date='Aug 2 2005, 06:58 PM']
Can you make your red muton as separate images for the head, right and left arms, torso and legs? The game makes the battle units combining those separate units and if you make them like that they can be added to the betas. To see what it is need get [url="http://www.daishiva.com/phpbb/index.php?page=2&incpage=http://www.daishiva.com/progLinks.shtml"]PCKView[/url] and look at the .pck files inside the /newunits folder of UFO2000.[/quote]

So does this mean that all of this wonderful artwork can now be included in new versions of ufo2000? Or is this only possible with red mutons, which are simply a pallette change of an already implemented alien? I was under the impression that more work was needed to support new alien types. Can anyone comment or clarify this?
[right][post="127943"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
making new sprites is not the problem Tursiops, the problem is implementing the other xcom 1 (original) aliens/sprites because they have either under the 255 pck limit or over. Head, torso, etc. are the sprites that make up the whole sprite. Not all original xcom aliens are made this way, but ufo2000 doesn't know how to use their sprites because they are different. Edited by Kratos

Nah , im not replacing it N-Man , simply making an alternative - which reminds me , im gonna mock up some personal armour colors, like Oz has with his muton. Its a pretty sweet idea that leads to more personalisable squads - a new option could even be added to units setup called color - click a color and the unit will turn , say , flourescant green (Or not <_<). Like in other team based games , you can select a color to set your mean apart from your enemy if you want. What you think? simple as h3ll and twice as fun

See look - took me 30 seconds in fotoshop.

pallette would be limited like Kratos said but a limited range of colors would work (Blue green purble , black white etc)

PS - a mockup of the super personal armour (This time its personal) Edited by Sporb

Looky , an assortment of armour colors

1 Rusty Red
2 Bloo
3 White
4 Coal
5 Really Really blue
6 Snot green
7 Goldy Yella
8 Radioactive Acid green
9 Sunburst orange
10 Original purple

-The pallete will surely not support all these colors , but elementary ones at least are possible

BTW , i know some of them look tacky , they are just examples of colors , and do not represent the finished product , nor should one expect that said finished product will resemble in any way , the image shown above. This disclaimer hereby voiding the artists reponsibility for posted images , will prevent agro people who dont like said posted images from stating as such. :hmmm: Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Oswald Cobblepot' date='Aug 3 2005, 11:39 AM']Thanks for the link... i will take a look if i can spend some time to it. Maybe at weekend... ^_^

My favourite is the second one without shoulder pads. I think there is no need for three different types of mutons. A bunch of grunts - still green - and one red cmmander would be nice.[/quote]

I thought of 3 types of mutons because it wouldn't be difficult to make the graphics for the 3rd type (if there's already a red muton then the different head/torso sections can simply be added to it), and also because it would introduce more variety (read: different armor) for the muton race. The green mutons armor could be downgraded to the stable version (instead of the values of the latest beta), making them weak, expendable units, the red could have medium armor and the commander (with pads and helmet) heavy armor. I think the 3 types would complement one another very well.

[quote name='Sporb' date='Aug 11 2005, 11:30 AM']The final armour , and the beginning of the zombie in game sprites
[right][post="128310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I prefer the left version. Just for the faceless value.

i think the T-shape shape should be taken off, and the vertical part be made armor, but it has a Visor instead

BTW, i like that Rookies and zombies picture, makes me feel happy, i can tell you right now, i could get out of that easily, just give me a rocket pack and a few holy hand grenades

i will invariably make varients of the armour for appearance purposes only , like a full visor and some different plate setups. i aim for about 5-6 different varients (like human appearances etc)

@ blehm: LOL , i think i might make a holy hand grenade , similar to the one off monty python :)

Preview of the inventory pic for the units I'm making.
Nevermind the shading and colors, this pic is not done yet but deserves to be a teaser.
Gnehehehe...

Still working on it... It's around 160 different sprites for a unit, Rock on! :rock:

-edited, I put the unzoomed pic, sorry. Changed it for a 200% zoomed pic. Edited by nachtwolf

that wolf looks very familiar ... *snap* ive seen the sprites posted somwhere else in the forum. Looks very very cool. Zombie vs Wolfie , Aliens and Xcom can take some time out as the stars of many classic horror movies smite each other with malice

I'm not sure whether it's already possible to have damage types affect creatures differently, and to edit health or stun regeneration, but when it is we could do this:

Zombies have a lot of health and will only be stunned for 1 round when "killed". The only way to kill them is to destroy their body with a hit far exceeding their health (same criteria as for the splatter animation discussed elsewhere).

Werewolves die normally, but also have a lot of health and quick health regeneration, e.g. 30% per turn. They can turn other people into werewolves, like cryssalids.
One thing that hurts them a lot, though, are blessed silver bullets in conventional weapons.

Maybe even a Vampire that turns people into ghouls and can be killed ONLY with Silver (I know that's not quite right, but another ammo type would be too complicated).

Or -speaking about classic horror characters- a mummy that will only die when incinerated.

So it will be a bit of a gamble whether to bring conventional weapons along (doing normal damage ortherwise), or risk bringing wolves in case the other team has some.

Just ideas, tho. I understand there are more important things to do first. :) Edited by Violazr

[quote name='Abyssion' date='Aug 20 2005, 05:53 PM']Keep it up Nachtwolf.  =b

I love wolf aliens. :D
[right][post="129389"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Aliens?? It's some military experiments. :P

Aliens would probably cross-breed krysalids and grizzlis anyway. (Scary thought)

Plus, neither side wants to get dirty mixing their superior beings with some filthy outsider genes.

Human side needs more variety (and more brawn) anyway.

[quote name='Kratos' date='Aug 21 2005, 12:54 PM'][quote name='Abyssion' date='Aug 20 2005, 05:14 PM']Well I classify them as aliens. They are otherworldly aren't they? :P
[right][post="129393"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Take me to your alien. :blink:
[quote]Silver bullets...its not the xcom...its too differnet. I dont like this idea aliens are good but vampires, mumies and warewolfs its very crazy idea[/quote]
I concur
[right][post="129471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Thanks for the input on this and being honest.

Let me explain my point of view :

I want to carry my fights with these half wolf half human units, I don't really care if people want to use them or not and I know they are not that "x-comish". I just felt they will look good and will be an interesting unit, plus I think they could "occur" with the technology present in x-com and without the all curse-like side-effects.

Fact is, I still want to use them.

I don't plan getting this concept up to "mythology wars tactical game".
Let's not push it too far please, vampires and mummies were completely out of my mind when I started making this (and still are).

I knew controversy could arise from this unit and I'm making it anyway.

If you have unconventionnal ideas, don't limit yourself to what is already made and find new ways to implement them and make them work. If I came up with something similar to a battle mech it would have been the same issue, but I would need to wait for 2x2 units. Actually I plan on making one, and it doesn't really belong to the world of x-com more than the werewolf unit, but again, it will look good and be interesting so it deserves a try.

The frame is not restricted to what the original game included and I think this is what makes the beauty of this project. After all, a game is about having fun.

So have fun everyone :D Edited by nachtwolf

Anybody can make any units they want...but if it doesn't fit well with ufo2000 theme, its not likely to be implemented in-game though. Making mods for new units is always welcome, but the fact that they will be used by other people is another story and totally up to the unit mods. :wink1:

[quote name='Sporb' date='Aug 22 2005, 03:29 AM']Ditto for my Zombies. Evil monsters get such a bad rap
[right][post="129520"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

And rep.

Racial equality for teh winz!

IMO, the Wolf things look either military experiments (gone wrong maybe) or perhaps another species of alien. What's to say, in a different world/dimension, the dominant species were wolves. Eventually they became upright, retaining many of their original features/traits to help them survive.

Take in mind when we're talking about X-COM, it's "naturally" otherworldly. We have aliens, mind control, powered armour and all that stuff. Aliens that infest humans and turn them into more aliens! Giant green aliens that are practically invincible! Orange-robed aliens with incredible powers and so atrophied and under-formed that they should be practically unable to live!

It doesn't get more otherworldly than this... except in TFTD, which has Cthulhu.

[quote name='nachtwolf' date='Aug 22 2005, 01:19 AM']If I came up with something similar to a battle mech it would have been the same issue, but I would need to wait for 2x2 units. Actually I plan on making one, and it doesn't really belong to the world of x-com[/quote]

Why not? Ever met a Sectopod?
The humans surely could have a "manned" version of that.

[quote name='Kratos' date='Aug 23 2005, 02:37 AM']Nachtwolf is just saying... <repeating what he just said>[/quote]

He certainly is, but I wasn't referring to that.

Anyway, the question this brings up is, after all the talk about HWPs and stuff:
Are 2x2 units planned to be implemented in a not-so-distant future?