XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Invincible Soldiers?

Before I start, I know I know :P. "INVINCIBLE WHERE IS THE FUN!"

Well I just enjoy going postal in a city and leveling the place (I've played this game serious for years, now I'm working on adding twists).

So how would I make someone more or less invincible? Like an armor rating that only like a blaster launcher could pwn?

- tue -

Well, nothing wrong with having a bit of fun from time to time, even if it involves cheating or changing the game in various ways.

Let's see. Armour levels can go from 0 to 255 (that is to say, each section of armour).

You can also set weapon averages up to 255 - but the actual damage will go up to 510 possible damage (i.e. any damage you set for your weapons will be doubled in actual use), and then there's the damage multipliers each and every unit in the game get, which either reduces of increases the overall max damage.

Right, so we know a heavy plasma, the most common alien weapon, deals 0 to 110 damage. This means it can do between 0 - 220 possible damage, and then multiply it by the damage multiplier. Unfortunately I don't have the damage multiplier for X-Com soldiers in power suits - but those with the Official Strategy Guide will have this info. But let's assume it's always double for X-Com soldiers (it feels that way from observation), I guess it would be safe to set armour to 200. That way you'll still get up to 0 - 20 points of possible damage from heavy plasmas.

The blaster bomb deals 200 HE. I don't know if HE is doubled, but you'll certainly die from it while using 200 armour.

Alternately, if you can't change the armour levels, you can get a weapon editor and do a complete alien weapon overhaul and reduce the damage done by all alien weapons in the game (except the blaster bomb). This works quite well - though you can no longer use heavy plasmas to cut through walls and dealing with sectopods will be a nightmare - as terror unit turrets will not be modified, and the high armour on the sectopod literally nullifies low weapon damage. Also, you'll still die when you're shot at early on without armour. But when you get some power suits, you'll not feel much at all.

- NKF

Pfft: This discussion has knocked a few odd ideas into my head - which aren't entirely related, but involve modifying the game somewhat. The oddest one is the "Nuclear lantern" - it's a flare. It does flare-like stuff. But it blows up as well.

Edited by NKF

Right, so we know a heavy plasma, the most common alien weapon, deals 0 to 110 damage. This means it can do between 0 - 220 possible damage, and then multiply it by the damage multiplier. Unfortunately I don't have the damage multiplier for X-Com soldiers in power suits - but those with the Official Strategy Guide will have this info. But let's assume it's always double for X-Com soldiers (it feels that way from observation), I guess it would be safe to set armour to 200. That way you'll still get up to 0 - 20 points of possible damage from heavy plasmas.

Actually, the Heavy Plasma can deal anywhere from 0 to 115 points of damage. With a soldier 100% susceptible to plasma ammo, the range is 0 to 230. :blush1:

As for the damage multipliers/modifiers, I have the OSG right here. Power/Flying Suited soldiers should take a maximum of double damage (200%) against all forms of attack except for stun (160%) and Incendiary (0%).

Personal Armor is partially resistant to stun (180%) and incendiary (160%), but susceptible to the Celatids acid spit (220%).

A soldier with no armor should also take normal damage from everything except for close combat attacks (240%) and the Celatids acid spit (320%). That's a possible triple damage! Ouch! :)

That "Nuclear Lantern" idea of yours seems interesting. Funny if it would have the outward appearance of an Electroflare, but the explosive strength of a Blaster Bomb.

Sectoid 1: "What is that"?

Sectoid 2: "Why, thats a flare. Nothing to worry about".

Sectoid 1: "But what's with this priming mechanism...."

*BOOM!*

- Zombie

Well, nothing wrong with having a bit of fun from time to time, even if it involves cheating or changing the game in various ways.

Let's see. Armour levels can go from 0 to 255 (that is to say, each section of armour).

You can also set weapon averages up to 255 - but the actual damage will go up to 510 possible damage (i.e. any damage you set for your weapons will be doubled in actual use), and then there's the damage multipliers each and every unit in the game get, which either reduces of increases the overall max damage.

The blaster bomb deals 200 HE. I don't know if HE is doubled, but you'll certainly die from it while using 200 armour.

Alternately, if you can't change the armour levels, you can get a weapon editor and do a complete alien weapon overhaul and reduce the damage done by all alien weapons in the game (except the blaster bomb). This works quite well - though you can no longer use heavy plasmas to cut through walls and dealing with sectopods will be a nightmare - as terror unit turrets will not be modified, and the high armour on the sectopod literally nullifies low weapon damage. Also, you'll still die when you're shot at early on without armour. But when you get some power suits, you'll not feel much at all.

- NKF

Pfft: This discussion has knocked a few odd ideas into my head - which aren't entirely related, but involve modifying the game somewhat. The oddest one is the "Nuclear lantern" - it's a flare. It does flare-like stuff. But it blows up as well.

How would I manage the 200 armour thing?

- Tue -