XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Question

Zippicus

I used X-COM: UFO Editor v1.52 X-COM: Terror from the Deep Editor v1.52 by Clark Wehyr to buff up the stats of my starting aquanauts. After doing so, I had the problem of not being able to throw grenades anymore. Every time I tried to toss a grenade, regardless of distance, I got a message saying "out of range" or somesuch. I was still able to prime grenades and drop them, just not toss them, even one tile away.

My guess is that it has something to do with the aquanauts having stats higher than normal. When you select "max" from the editor it boosts the improved stat to 160. I don't recall ever having normal troops ever achieving stats quite that high.

It's not a big deal either way, I'm just curious as to what the problem is.

I did some fairly extensive tests on throwing distance with regards to soldier strength and item weight this summer at the StrategyCore forums. This post may be of some interest.

Basically, when you illegally modify soldier strength above the normal cap of 71, your soldier sometimes becomes a cripple. The strength limit I recommend is 150 (firm) as that allows your soldier to throw everything in the game without a penalty. To be on the safe-side though, I'd keep soldier strength somewhere around 100 as that level is well within the normal operating conditions. (At least, this applies to a 50x50x4 map size with a standing soldier. If you kneel him down, this increases the range somewhat and you may be able to squeak a throw in). :D

- Zombie

Thinking about this, I think you may as well just leave it within the acceptable range. That is, up to 71. Apart from throwing distance, the only other advantage a high strength value has for a player controlled unit is the carrying capacity. It's very difficult to carry more than the max strength cap.

There are also a considerably higher number of lower ceilings in TFTD than its predecessor, so a really high strength value can hurt your use of grenades (or throwing in general) while indoors a lot. If it's too high, you will not be able to throw at all.

- NKF

Edited by NKF