XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Athlon Xp 2800 = Impossible To Play

Guest Drewus

Well i managed to get my hands on the Windows version of X com. It loads up fine (using the video fix) and it doesn't crash at all. However, it runs WAY too fast. 5 seconds goes like 5 hours, it's impossible to play.

So i tried using Turbo to slow it down but with no luck. I put the slowdown setting all the way up to 80% and although it slowed it down a fraction, it is still way too fast to be playable. And when i set it to 90 or 100% the computer slows do so much that i have to restart it.

So then i tried DosBox, and because it's the windows version, it refuses to run. I also tried the DOS version of Xcom in it, but it crashes to desktop when i click on the Geoscape.

So then i tried Abandonloader, and it's built in slowdown utility works exactly like Turbo, doesnt' do much, but once set to 100% i have to reset.

So that is all i have tried, am i doomed and have no possible way to play the game?

I reaaaallly want to play it again :(

Try putting it on 20%. The figure corresponds to the amount of original processor power you want, and you just told it you want to use 80% of it :P

(at least, I think that's what you're saying here ^_^ )

Strange it makes that much of a difference, I have the exact configuration like you except a xp2000, and can run it without slowdown :D

Oops, sorry J'ordos, that is what i meant i was doing with Turbo, once i got it down past around 20% my computer would just freeze. And anything above it would only show slight slowdown.

But yes i find it incredibly strange that it runs so fast on my machine, because i have seen other people on here (such as yourselves) with similar systems who seem to be running it fine.

I actually went into a tactical mission and turned all speed settings to the lowest, which improved a great deal, however, the screen scrolling speed is still way too fast to be playable (as is the geoscape screen). Like i will move the mouse to the edge of the screen and the camera will shoot off at a million miles an hour.

I wait for the day when someone manages to create an executable that runs the game at the correct speed regardless of system speed.

someone made that actually, but it decreased the amount of detected UFO's (the thread is somewhere in this forum :) ). You could try other slowdown programs, or wait for the newest version of dosbox which will probably support xcom...

• 3 weeks later...
This is just a guess but it might also have to do with your GPU. Your geforce might've come with an overclocking program, many geforcers do, try if you can underclock the GPU, this might help with the fast scroll rate. Also, your system shouldn't freeze under pressure like that, you might be running a system hogging program like a big realtime virus scanner or a P2P program. Try killing all other programs, then using Turbo.

The CE version I use on XP Pro with an Athlon XP 2400 works fine.

The version I have is prepatched, meaning I didn't have to patch it myself.

I can't seems to find it anymore.

check if it is the same version you have otherwise pm i will send it to you (8mo)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Volume in drive D:\ is Jeux

Directory of D:\UFO Enemy Unknown\

. <DIR>

.. <DIR>

GAME_1 <DIR>

GAME_10 <DIR>

GAME_2 <DIR>

GAME_3 <DIR>

GAME_4 <DIR>

GAME_5 <DIR>

GAME_6 <DIR>

GAME_7 <DIR>

GAME_8 <DIR>

GAME_9 <DIR>

GEODATA <DIR>

GEOGRAPH <DIR>

MANUAL <DIR>

MAPS <DIR>

MISSDAT <DIR>

ROUTES <DIR>

SOUND <DIR>

TERRAIN <DIR>

UFOGRAPH <DIR>

UFOINTRO <DIR>

UNITS <DIR>

ldr_XCOM1.exe

musfix.dll

ufo.bmp

UFO.EXE

ufo_faq.txt

Uninst.exe

-----------------------------------------------------------

and the launch shortcut "Ufo (Patch)" look like this:

"D:\UFO Enemy Unknown\ldr_XCOM1.exe" d:\UFO Enemy Unknown\ufo.exe

I used moslo to slow things down, without it the game does run much faster than it should, the code is tied to cpu cycles. Putting the cpu level to 25% of normal worked, but there was some issues with the sound, when it would load the sound bite there was a slight pause in the video when it happened.

I used moslo to slow things down, without it the game does run much faster than it should, the code is tied to cpu cycles. Putting the cpu level to 25% of normal worked, but there was some issues with the sound, when it would load the sound bite there was a slight pause in the video when it happened.

At last someone who has had the same problem! I mean the music thingy. It sucks! You have some other loading problems too? Like when you intercept ufo and the interception window should appear, the game pauses for 2-3 seconds just like what happens with the music on battlescape.

Have you found any fix for this?

Kind of funny that TFTD CE works fine with my 2400+, winXP without any turbo programs or voice problems. Why have they re-done tftd with care but made Ufo defense like sh1t?

At last someone who has had the same problem! I mean the music thingy. It sucks! You have some other loading problems too? Like when you intercept ufo and the interception window should appear, the game pauses for 2-3 seconds just like what happens with the music on battlescape.

Have you found any fix for this?

Kind of funny that TFTD CE works fine with my 2400+, winXP without any turbo programs or voice problems. Why have they re-done tftd with care but made Ufo defense like sh1t?

well why don't u use UFO for dos then? in my own experience all u lose when playing on win xp is the music. speed is kinda fast but not too fast (set scroll speed to minimium) and u get the original alien screams :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous Coward

Have you tried out dosbox? It's a 386 emulator in development that is perfect for running old classics like X-COM. You can find it over at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

when you start it up, you have to 'mount' the the directory that X-COM is in. Then type in the name and start the program.

Example:

Z:\> mount c c:\xcom

Z:\> c:

C:\> xcom

Here are some basic commands to help you tweak your DosBox window.

F7 - Lower Frameskip (smoother animation)

F8 - Raise Frameskip (can get higher speeds, jerky animation)

F9 - Close Dosbox

F11 - Slow Dosbox down (If your computer can't take it ;)

F12 - Speed Dosbox up (Don't go faster than your CPU can handle!!)

My P4 1.5Ghz can get a speed of 4500, just enough to run the game. An AMD 2.8Ghz can easily get a speed of 11000, more than enough to run X-COM and TFTD.

Once you find the settings that you like, you can edit the configuration file to keep the settings when you start up DosBox. The file is called " dosbox.conf " and you'll have to open it with wordpad.

The important things you'll want to change are:

fullscreen=true (play with X-COM taking the full screen. It explains itself)

cycles=4500 (change this number to what works best for you)

frameskip=3 (if you needed to skip frames to get a faster speed, set this also)

To have Dosbox start up playing X-COM, put this at the end of "dosbox.conf". Change "C:\ufo" if your game is in a different directory!"

[autoexec] (<-- look for this)

mount c c:\ufo

c:

ufo