XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How To Make Lcd Display Work With Ufo?

Guest ltn BerryMoore

Guest ltn BerryMoore

Can you give me any tips how to make UfO graphics show through LCD display?

I got the tip to use TV-out and TV-set from this forum and it works ok. It just that, now I am (again) seriously addicted to this game and my girlfriend is freaking out, because she cannot watch TV at all when I'm gaming...

I'm playing UFO 1 from the CE pack and I use the fix-patch to make graphics work with my operating system (WinXP)

I already tried the hints from the FAQ page and adjusted the refrsh rate though it was 60Hz by the default. Anyway the display stayed just blank...

Any hints to make LCD screen operate with ufo? Is it possible to run the game in a window or something.. ?

thanx in advance

I have heard that people can make the game work on LCD screen but it shrinks to 1/4 of the screen in upper left corner. If that doesn't bother you, wait until micah answers you. I believe he has gotten it to work with that small screen.

This is all I have concerning the matter, emailed to me by somone who got the LCD to work thi way:

"On the question about having an LCD monitor and the picture running off the screen: I have a fix! While on your Windows desktop, set the monitor's VERTICAL POSITION to "100%". Then the game will run ina sort of "widescreen" way and you will be able to see everything. This worked perfectly on my ProView LCD."

Guest ltn BerryMoore

That doesn't help since I don't have a picture at all on my LCD, but thanks anyway.

I still have to try that dosbox and old version thing, I think it might be a solution.

Great game!

I have an LCD screen and am running the CE version on a windows XP machine. I have an Nvidia GeForce graphics card.

When I ran the game using the video loader it cut a bit of the screen off of the top. However, after I installed the Nvidia driver update (windows auto update) it now appears in sort of a widescreen format that shows all of the action. There is a small empty space on the top and bottom, but all of the information is displayed. I no longer have to guess where the buttons are at the top of the screen where the mouse pointer used to disappear.

I'm assuming the new driver is what made this happen since it started doing it after I downloaded it. Whatever happened, it is now good times in my X-COM world!!!

Guest ltn BerryMoore

Hi guys,

Micah: yes I did check out that faq. Only advice it gave to my problem was to override the monitor refresh rate with DxDiag. I tried that with 60Hz resfesh rate as adviced and also with different rates. No help, the monitor stayed black

Phantomenforcer: Was that update from microsoft or where did you get that? I'm also using Nvidia GeForce grapghics card, and maybe that update could help me.

After all it doesn't matter to me if the game shows is in widescreen, quarterscreen or whatever - I wish it displayed me something...

It was on a Windows automatic update. I have a dell machine so it may have been preprogrammed to search for updates for that video card. Try doing a search for it on google or something. The Nvidia site should have the update.

I also use Fodders loader, I don't know if you have tried that.

Edited by phantomenforcer

Guest ltn BerryMoore

IT'S WORKING!

I didn't expect it to depend on a graphics driver, but after I downloaded new drivers for my Nvidia GeForce the game seems to operate perfectly with my lcd screen!

And the best is that it is showing everything perfectly - no parts of the picture left out, not in a widescreen mode, no problems at all!

Of course I'm using the fOdder fix too...

Thanks guys!

I seem to have the same problem with my lcd screen.

(edit, nm figued that part out)

And second, I was just wondering, is there a way to get xcom to just run in a window rather then full screen? would this fix things?

Thanks for putting up with my newbish questions.

Edited by Pork Hocks

I don't think I can be of any help, but here's how I play the game:

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, and I run the patched 1.4 X-Com UFO and 1.2 TFTD on DOSBox. I have no problems at all, and my LCD screen is a UXGA 15 inches, with standard resolution of 1600 x 1200p. I run Windows XP and my video card is a Geforce 2 GO 32Mb DDR card. Video drivers are dated from December 2003 (Dell didn't coe up with other drivers after that).

Actually, the only issues I had is not with X-COM, but with UFO aftermath... but that's another game... ^_^