XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Here's A Strange One.

Trying to figure this one out. I have four bases. Total cost of everything at the end of the month: $6,352,000. Current funding: $7,582,000 (not including the funding bonus I get from the countries at the monthly report screen). However, even though the monthly report screen says all the countries are happy with me, I'm either approximately 7 million in the hole or I haven't defended the world enough and I lose the game. Anyone know the solution for this?

If you get too much debt, your actions will be stopped by funding organizations. So you have to sell a lot of stuff to stay in the game! Sell everything you don't need.

Other big money drains to watch out for:

Staff - If you aimed to go for a 200 scientist team right off, be prepared to pay up to 6 million credits a month. That's a lot of money! Trust me, once you've played the game a few times, you should be much more comfortable with smaller teams - which also means less expenditure. Engineers are in a similar boat, but they approach matters from the other direction. With a 75 to 100 or even up to 240 staff team they can easily pay their own salaries and more.

Base maintenance - Lots of stores, quarters, workshops, labs, base defense modules, hangars, and especially hyperwave decoders tend to build up maintenance costs!

Leased ship - they cost a bit, but I find the cost is well justified and easily recoverable after selling a number of heavy plasmas. The interceptor and Skyranger, though not the best of the best, are the most reliable ships you can own.

Hmm, just a thought: Funding bonuses and reductions may also only apply on the next month. This appears to be true for Apocalypse, though I don't know if it's the same with UFO/TFTD.

- NKF

I took everything into account, actually. Including facilities that were currently being built. As for funding bonuses and reductions, they apply right when they occur for UFO as far as I can remember. I've been at around 20k funds or less on the last day of the month many a time before this. This is the first time I've ever had this happen which is why I decided to post it.

Not to mention, the math makes no sense. If I get funded for approximately 8 million the next month and the previous month's expenses are around 6 million, I should be up 2 million. If anything, if the funds weren't given (due to some odd bug), I should only be down around 6 million, not over 7 million like the game is giving me.

Actually, now that you mention it, funds are indeed odd in UFO/TFTD. Most of the time I pay little attention to it, but if you do decide to get down to exact calculations, digit for digit, the numbers don't quite add up.

There may be additional costs somewhere or there are a lot of numbers being rounded off (integer optimisation perhaps?).

- NKF

If I get funded for approximately 8 million the next month and the previous month's expenses are around 6 million, I should be up 2 million.

The chart does not show your current expenses. Your costs may have risen dramatically in that time. You have to manually add together all the totals from your base maintenance screens.

In the end, X-COM is about managing money. You should be more careful about how you spend your $, and you won't have to worry about being shutdown.

You have to manually add together all the totals from your base maintenance screens.

I did exactly that. I thought I made that clear in my previous post when I said I took everything into account and I even added maintenance costs on facilities still being built. As I said, the math doesn't add up. This definitely appears to be some sort of bug.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest triller

I've never experienced this problem, but there are other funding options.

Deassign all of your scientists and engineers in the last hour of the last day of the month and transfer them to a different base. Since they aren't in the bases on the turnover to the next month, you aren't charged for funding them. 100 scientists and 100 engineers add up to 11 million dollars in salaries, and that ain't hay. They'll only be out of action for 14 to 16 hours. Hope this helps.

Actually, now that you mention it, funds are indeed odd in UFO/TFTD.

Agreed. Start a game and look at the "Dec1998" funding stats for the starting base; they are completely wrong. IIRC there 55k$ error.

I found that since a lot of what the game says is just for looks, i wouldn't be surprised if it hides this too. Because in the score the game has, the battle results are actually off by a lot, as this says that certain things either give the aliens or humans alot more than the thing says

on that matter, i rechecked that big money loss on F.M.I.X. and if the value's the game gives me are correct, it truly doesn't add up.

iirc, my income was about $8M and all my costs were $6M, thus i should get $2M, not -$2M! :wacko:

although according to the graphs my maintenance is indeed higher than the income by $2M, in which case the values on Monthly Costs are truly wrong!