XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo:eu - Difference Between Ver. 1.2 And 1.4

Ros

Did ver 1.4 fixed some bugs or not really? And are there difference in death screams and music in ver 1.4? Also is someone encoutered problem with running Ufo 1.2 on Win98 with SB Pro clone? Each time i select Adlib/Soundblaster as "Sound Effects" the game hangs. Thanks for every answer.

Ros

Are you referring to the DOS or CE version? To the best of my knowledge, 1.4 is actually the collector's edition version--the one optimized for play with Windows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you shouldn't have to worry about configuring sound with the CE version. But, if it's indeed a dos program, you can always try running it with DOSbox.

Ah, yes--the alien death screams are indeed altered in the CE version. Expect the Sectoids, Floaters, and Reapers to share the same "oooogh" death scream, and the rest of them to have new ones. While the Mutons and Ethereals sound a lot better than they originally did (in my opinion), you might get tired of the standard death moan you'll have for the first half of the game. Apparently, human death screams remain unchanged for the most part.

Edited by The Master Maniac

The really old versions of the games had lower sound sampling rates, and a few less sound drivers. Newer versions of the game introduced a large sound driver set and sound effects with much higher sampling rates, making them sound (the quality, not exactly the sound itself) better.

1.4CE threw away the sound drivers and lets DirectX handle sound playback.

Just one of the possible causes of the problems you're encountering with 1.2. I know when I had 1.2, it sounded absolutely gorgeous on my 8-bit mono imitation sound-blaster. But then I got a new PC with a better 16-bit stereo soundcard, and 1.2 started making horribly scratchy sounds - and would hang the computer if the soundcard wasn't set up right. It was unbearable. 1.4 fixed this, however.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Thanks for all the answers. I was refering to the DOS ver of UFO:EU. Sorry i didn't mentioned that. So in DOS 1.4 patch alien death screams are also changed (just like in CE ver), right? If so, i was thinking to manually copy essential patch files but without new sounds. Is this possible or the game will crash? Of course there is still CE ver but Blaster Bug (missile returning south just like boomerang) is pissing me off. :cussing:

- edited by Ros - stupid try, of course it didn't work <_< Well, looks i'm stuck with stupid death screams. I've another computer, old P75 with SB16 but refering what NKF posted it wouldn't work correctly. Bad luck :cussing:

Ros

Edited by Ros

Thanks for all the answers. I was refering to the DOS ver of UFO:EU. Sorry i didn't mentioned that. So in DOS 1.4 patch alien death screams are also changed (just like in CE ver), right? If so, i was thinking to manually copy essential patch files but without new sounds. Is this possible or the game will crash? Of course there is still CE ver but Blaster Bug (missile returning south just like boomerang) is pissing me off.  :cussing:

- edited by Ros - stupid try, of course it didn't work  :cussing:

Ros

Alien voices patch should also work for DOs version, just only extract the SOUNDS folder (+contents, obviously :) ), not the other files.

Ros:

For the blaster bomb, don't send the bomb up or down on the same tile. Make it move at an angle. Works like a charm then.

- NKF

Ros:

For the blaster bomb, don't send the bomb up or down on the same tile. Make it move at an angle. Works like a charm then.

- NKF

Yeah i know but in this case you can't fire BB's from Xcom craft. Anyway, better this than nothing.

Ros

Wait, wait... how can you not fire it from your ship?

- NKF

- NKF

I mean when you are standing in ship and alien is on the ground level when you will fire missile will turn back and hit shooter and all men/units inside right? Because he's below and you can't order missile to go up or down. That's how i see it.

Ros

- NKF

I mean when you are standing in ship and alien is on the ground level when you will fire missile will turn back and hit shooter and all men/units inside right? Because he's below and you can't order missile to go up or down. That's how i see it.

Ros

you just can't put waypoints directly over/under another one. you can still make paths that go up/down levels by puttting a waypoint on one level and the other one away from it, in a different level (as long as there isn't something in the way).

you just can't put waypoints directly over/under another one. you can still make paths that go up/down levels by puttting a waypoint on one level and the other one away from it, in a different level (as long as there isn't something in the way).

I've had such a situation (see attached file, please don't laugh from my drawings) and as result 7 men dead, 3 heavy wounded. So how should i shoot?

Ros

BL.txt

Again, as I said, fire it downwards at an angle.

As I'm really short of time, I'll whip up a quick MS-Paint diagram...

Red = wrong

Blue = not necessarily the most elegant solution (or solutions), but will work.

-NKF

bbomb.gif

Ok, now i understand, thanks again NKF. :master:

- edited by Ros - From now on i LOVE my old P75 with SB16. Yesterday i launched Dos ver 1.2 of Ufo and it works with full sound and music. I don't need a patch! :happybanana: :happybanana:

And thanks everyone for help. Best regards.

Ros

Edited by Ros