XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Turbo Program Questions

I am curious as to how this program installs to your computer (before I consider doing it) ... the download doesn't answer these questions:

It slows your computer, but is it a program that is game specific? Or if I install it does it slow everything down and suddenly your fast computer becomes a 486ish computer?? And if so, is it something that you can easily turn on and off, such as a program that you can turn the thing on/off and reboot your computer and the computer runs at normal again?

Whats the name of the program?

Is it "Turbo" then you can't install it

If you want to use it just ran it and you can choose how much it should slow down everything..

If you close the program or reboot everything is normal

Edited by Ufo_Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Longshot

Hi everybody, obviously I'm new to this forum, and I am trying to play X-Com on my laptop. Has Mobile P4, 1.7g geforce 9000 video card. At first the picture was completely garbeled so I turned off the 3D acceleration and all well there however, The scrolling and weapon firing speeds are insane, I've read through most of these threads and determined I must need this "turbo" program but I cant figure out how to get it, Did a google search for it, but that word had over 4 million hits...uuuugh... Even if no one responds to this for weeks I'll get an answer sooner than if I look through all of those...

Anyway I came here from the Jagged Alliance forum website and have advertised for you there, though the thread is old now. Anyway, I'm knee deep in JA MOD at the moment but am eyeballing the work going on here. Keep it up, LONG LIVE X-COM!

I have used a program called mo slo if I remember correctly. There are others out there I'm sure. What the app does, it takes a percentage of your CPU cycles, leaving fewer for other apps to run. When I ran xcom I set the app to eat about 75% of the CPU, and the game worked OK. The only side effect I noticed was a slight pause when the music cycled in the battlescape. The app can be turned on and off with a mouse click, and you can change the percentage on the fly. It's just a little window with a percentage listed. I'm not sure if I used mo slo or another one similar, but again I expect they work about the same. Without it, the slowest time setting in xcom was so fast I couldn't do anything unless I puased the game. UFOs were too fast on the globe to intercept.

I found slowing the speed in options worked fine for the most part. The arrow over your selected soldiers moved so fast it was a blur and muton terror aliens quivered so fast like they were having a seizure. Mo Slo is one of them. I think I have it but the slowing the other options was good enough for game play for me.

Too fast to intercept, wow.

Guest Longshot

Yes, I have tried setting all in-game options to "1" which is the slowest setting available. I had been playing on a P3 1g. and it was fast but playable. Now on my new set up the world screen is fine except for trying to turn the globe, which seems to be a scrolling issue. In the tactical maps the scrolling is rediculously fast, as well as the firing speeds. Movement seems to be fine, or at least I can deal with it. Problem with scrolling is when I need to move an inch or so the whole picture flys by til I find myself at the edge of the map screen. I can use the overhead map to pin point where I want to go but this gets tedious when I just need to aim at one of those little aliens whose just off screen, or when I need to jump to a nearby soldier so he can take his turn.

I've played this game for quite a long time so I'm familer with most of the in-game features, I'm sure this has to do with the program being older than my set up. Again I'm using a P4, w/ winXP, and a nividia geforce9000 64mb video card.

Where can I find mo slo or this turbo program? can I find mo slo through google? Is it freeware or do you have to pay?

thanks again for any help you can offer.

LONG LIVE X-COM!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Dang, no one answered you? Sorry. You should have checked the download section of this site many months ago (in the top menu bar). You can also get it here:

http://www.xcomufo.com/turbo.zip

If this program doesn't work well enough for you, try disabling the internal and external caches in your CMOS, in conjunction with using turbo.

´the only too fast thing is the rotation in the geoscape. all other things goes great, without turbo. Is there a way to slow down that globe rotation speed, and ignore the other stuff?

Also, there is no sounds, and i do not know what too do with the soundfix.dll.

I agree with ufo_enforcer on the sound bit. Also, here's an excerpt from the recently-updated faq:

Click-pause sound error

I don't know what causes this problem, but I do know how to fix it. Download this file: musfix.dll and place it in the main UFO Defense folder. Now run the game, and the click-pauses should be eliminated.

So, mikker, the file will do you now good if you can't hear anything at all, anyway. Make sure nothing is muted in your volume controller. Play will all the volume settings to see if you hear anything, and make sure you're using the collector's edition.

Guest Longshot
Hey thanks again, just got done slaying some of the little buggars with my cousin. Turbo is working GREAT! I had to slow my cpu down to just 15% to get it to work ok. I did experience one bug, flaw whatever that might be this "click-pause" thing you'r talking about... About once every 45 seconds to a minute the game just stops for 4-5 seconds, I don't have any sound problems at all, though the music isn't all that great (sounds like the noise a catfish makes when you scratch it's belly) it works as far as I can tell...So is this problem the "click-pause" thing then do ya think?

No, that shouldn't be the same problem. If you want to go ahead and see if the musfix.dll file does anything for you, though, place it in the main UFO Defense folder and run the game via the fix. It's as simple as that.

The error it is meant to fix is one that presents itself on some systems. When some people click on a menu item, it pauses for half a second, then slams you to the next menu, with no transition. I had this trouble back when I was running WinXP, and the musfix.dll corrected it nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
you are all very very silly... who rotates the map? its very stupid, just right click on the map to move it, if you want to move in large incraments then just click farther, you'll see what i r be meaning. for mo'slo, i tried it once, but it started up and gave m all this dos crap so i decied i would just keep turbo. i dont even use it anymore... i just put all my settings to one, and it runs ok. but thats probly because im on my 799 mhz ^_^