XCOMUFO & Xenocide

It Has Really Been Too Long Since I've Played This

usafsage

I used to play X-COM on my 386 when it came out. On my days off of school I would play X-COM for a good 10-12 hours a day EASY (I was in like middle school or something back then, so I didn't really have a social life).

Now that I'm 24 years old I've learned of the CE of X-COM and I've been playing it.

I started a game on Experienced level last night and wow... freaking Sectoids invaded my base on January 28th 1999.

I had exactly five soldiers that weren't in the infirmary being treated for horrible plasma burning on 80% of their bodies. :hmmm:

I also had one Rocket HWP and two Laser HWPs.

All I had for equipment was a handful of freaking laser rifles. There was absolutely NO WAY I was going to beat those Cyberdiscs with some stupid laser rifles.

I had to do the unthinkable... something I absolutely hate to do... I reloaded my game.

I purchased a rocket launcher for every man and a full stock of large rockets and all of the transfers arrived minutes before the Sectoid fiends entered my base.

So it began...

I set my men up in kneeling positions so that I had two men watching the northern hangar, two men watching the access lift, both Laser HWPs watching the southwestern hangar, and one man and the Rocket HWP guarding the southeastern hangar.

To make a long story short, the chain-reaction explosions in the hangars caused by rockets colliding with jet fuel absolutely annihilated the invading Sectoid forces and I didn't have a single casualty.

Bottom line: By the end of January in the year of 1999 X-COM was researching Blaster Launchers. :devillaugh:

Sure I had to reload so that I had some weapons, but don't you just love it when things work in your favor like that? :)

1993 - X-COM: UFO Enemy Unknown on a 386DX2

2005- X-COM Collector's Edition on a 3.2GHz laptop 1024 PC2700 DDR RAM and ATi Radeon 9700 video card...

Ah, nostalgia...

I'm surpised how oddly addictive X-COM is for me. Have you ever been playing some other game entirely (good or bad, old or new) and been fantasing about this game? Weirdness I tell you.

And its all kinds of things for me I guess. Mostly, I just really love its look and mood (that music is haunting me man!). I'm glad I have a PC that can still run it quite frankly. Its one of the most refreshing games to come back to after giving it up for a while.

I've only ever played up to Experienced I think, but right now I have an Easy game I've been playing on and off for a couple of months now.

Yo - Same situation here -

I'm 46 y.o., been playing games forever, but lately, getting tired of the same old same old. Heard a haunting tune in my mind, was quite shocked to find that my old 3.5" floppies were still good, fired up XCOM, and am now protecting the earth from fiends near and far.

A hearty hello to the board here! :wave:

Yo - Same situation here -

I'm 46 y.o., been playing games forever, but lately, getting tired of the same old same old. Heard a haunting tune in my mind, was quite shocked to find that my old 3.5" floppies were still good, fired up XCOM, and am now protecting the earth from fiends near and far.

A hearty hello to the board here!  :wave:

Welcome Fred err Mike.

Oh well that now bring the total to four people I know of who are older than me. So much for my bit where I kvetch about being an old fart. <_>

Oh well that now bring the total to four people I know of who are older than me.  So much for my bit where I kvetch about being an old fart. <_<

Haha... np. More people should be gamers.

XCOM was a truly great game - incorporating so many factors.

By any chance, have we had any XCOM programmers or other luminaries around this board lately??

Welcome Red. Its been the same sort of pattern with me and games lately as well. Sometimes what works best for me is from things that have come before in terms of hand/finger dexterity issues to name one of the reasons. I love strategy games like this that let me take my time. On the other hand, I like arcade games that don't require more button combinations than I have fingers :)

I suppose this is why I haven't been much of a console gamer. Speaking of arcade games, there's one by a independent gaming developer Moonpod who'd done a nice shoot'em up akin to Asteroids which I got turned on to called Starscape. One of the things that drew me in was its anime feel to it.

Oddly enough as well, upon finding this gem, I did so through an advert banner and I'd never been drawn into a game that way. But I digress :)

My shameless plug aside, I think you'll enjoy it here. I'd go so far to suggest its one of the better gaming forum sites about turn based strategy games I've seen - especially about X-COM games. I'm also having fun brainstorming things for Xenocide.

Do you use any advanced bace facilites such as a Hyper Wave Decoder or Psi-Lab?

Only hyper wave decoder. I really could care less about psionics since I have conventional, my men could go beserk and not really hurt each other that badly. I am tired of using mind control and panic for my men so I just stopped using Psi-Lab all together. Yeah I will research it though, but to use it...no.

Welcome to xcomufo forums RedKnight! :)

Snakeman: I know what you mean. Classic games seem to be more satisfying than the majority of console games IMO.

We also host the official forums for UFO 2k.

Did my sig remind you? :blink:

Thanks for the kindly welcome, Snake. Was offline a little. And thanks to all the other great folks here - Stewart, NFK, Azrael, Blehm, Kratos, Jenny, many others. I originally tried the name RedKnight, not knowing about the vet named 'red knight', so he kindly changed my name so we could reduce the signal-to-noise ratio. I'll be checking out Project X when I can spare the time - the future's so bright, I've gotta wear shades, laugh.