XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Kind Of Graphics Card Do You Have

rincewind

What kind of gfx card do you have  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

we are currently developing some materials including shaders for the xnet models, facilities and later on battlescape as well.

As we want to have them look as good as possible, we want to take advantage of at pixel shader 2.0 hardware while still providing fallback solutions for older cards. The globe shaders do this already.

Now in order for this effort to be efficient, please answer this poll to help us see what kind of cards we currently have among members and recruits. This will allow us to prioritize efforts on different rendering paths, etc.

Thanks for participating,

Rincewind

P.S: Yes, I know there is pixel shader 3.0 as well. It doesn't offer much in terms of being able to get better effects, mostly it allows you to write more performant shaders, but we are not hitting performance problems on those cards anyway (and will most likely hit in a completly unrelated place).

Laptop: GeForce 5200

"Main" Computer: GeForce 4600 - but I rarely use it nowadays, so count the Laptop... :)

---Edit---

Was too dumb to vote (null Vote) had a tough day... Sorry... :(

Edited by Mad

Darkhomb how are your SLI video cards running without overheating?

I tried running 2 SLI 6600 or 6800 im not sure... but they ran for five minutes then the motherboard shuts down to prevent heat damage...

You could cook eggs on the video crads...

Mabe they were just deffictive?

or do yours run a little bit hot?

Edited by Shinzon

But don't forget that the 2.0 shaders in the GeForceFx Series (5xxx) are pretty slow. That slow, that they're in fact not really usable. Especially with the 5200... :(

I added your vote, Mad :)

thx a lot! :)

Edited by Mad

But don't forget that the 2.0 shaders in the GeForceFx Series (5xxx) are pretty slow. That slow, that they're in fact not really usable. Especially with the 5200... :(

They are usable enough to me, though I wouldn't mind getting a 5600 :D

I had pretty bad problems when forcing HL2 into DirectX 9 mode... Wasn't a nice sight...

Nevertheless: Of course nvidia is much better than ATI... *goes for cover* :P

Edited by Mad

They are usable enough to me, though I wouldn't mind getting a 5600 :D

I had pretty bad problems when forcing HL2 into DirectX 9 mode... Wasn't a nice sight...

Nevertheless: Of course nvidia is much better than ATI... *goes for cover* :P

Really? I ran HL2 with my 5200 with no problems.

Really? I ran HL2 with my 5200 with no problems.

Yea, but probably in DirectX 8 Mode.(?) HL2 automaticly switches to DirectX 8 if it detects a GeForce 5200 (don't know with other cards). You have to apply a registry hack to force it to use DirectX 9. And then it looked pretty awfull for me. :(

I used to be an nVidia guy, but now I switched to ATI... since my old 9100 I wouldnt spend more money for an nVidia if I can get the same performance and quality with an ATI. I still have an nVidia nForce audio solution though ;) wouldnt change that yet.

Greetings

Red Knight

I used to be an nVidia guy, but now I switched to ATI... since my old 9100 I wouldnt spend more money for an nVidia if I can get the same performance and quality with an ATI. I still have an nVidia nForce audio solution though ;) wouldnt change that yet.

Greetings

Red Knight

You'll come back... you'll come back, on your knees, begging for us to take you back and give you an nVidia... you'll see :devillaugh:

Sorry I've been busy latly bearly come here but I try. What motherboard do you have, I have the A8NSLI- Premium the asus new A8N32X or whatever spreads the cards apart a little farter.. I didn't seem to have to much of a problem i had them over clocked and my system would crash due to heat so i droped the clock down alittle more but still higher then stock. But now I added a watercooling system and they make a block specificly for dual 6800's, its about 250 dollars though but it keeps my cards at a temp of 65C when running full load. around 52 idle.

Darkhomb how are your SLI video cards running without overheating?

I tried running 2 SLI 6600 or 6800 im not sure... but they ran for five minutes then the motherboard shuts down to prevent heat damage...

You could cook eggs on the video crads...

Mabe they were just deffictive?

or do yours run a little bit hot?

Edited by Darkhomb

x800 pro VIVO firmware mod

Is that the crossfire edition? and are you considering going crossfire if it is. I actually am an ATI fan fare from Nvidia, though i went with the 6800 when i upgraded my system because ati was having problems and did not release there competitor at the time. Crossfire seems a much better solution as you do not need special software to run it, while games have to support sli crossfire can be used on anything and is more efficient. I will prob switch on my next upgrade...

Edited by Darkhomb

It's not, but I think I will consider it for my next cards. I had an FX 5900 factory prototype for my last card and I really prefer the ati cards. The unified driver architecture with the detonator drivers for Nvidia is good, but the default drivers (not omega) and the Redline Sapphire tweak utility is better. I've had cream of the crop (for their time) cards for the past two generations, and I really prefer the ATI cards. They're quiter, cooler, and have very high performance that is much easier to access than the Nvidia cards, at least in the timeframe that I was using them.

edit: This talk asside, I think that making this game as accessable as possible would be construed as an excellent gesture to those who do not have the same budget for technology as most of the people here who have voted. I think that it would be worthwhile to make the game as scalable as the programmers have time for, within reason.

* I have no idea how much work this display scalability is in terms of coding, so bare that in mind.

Edited by fux0r666

edit:  This talk asside, I think that making this game as accessable as possible would be construed as an excellent gesture to those who do not have the same budget for technology as most of the people here who have voted.  I think that it would be worthwhile to make the game as scalable as the programmers have time for, within reason.

Good point, mostly this poll was about prioritizing stuff. There will always be a rendering-path for low-end cards. The question is rather how much "magic" we'll put in there, and how many intermediate levels we'll do. There's currently 5 different versions for the globe material (ps 2.0, ps 1.4, ps 1.1, texture_env_combine, plain single-texture. 2 of them are not active right now, because of issues we have).

Another thing is that once we do a real public release, ps 2.0 will be even more common than it is now, so for now I'm doing all materials with ps 2.0 version with all the fancy stuff and a very basic version that runs on all cards above TNT's.

Rincewind

• 9 months later...

Geforce 5600 in my personal machine (no internet nemore :'()

Geforce 6800 in my "house" computer which I will probably steal the card out of or my Dad was sorting out a third machine so I dont know the specs

Edit: Bump!

Edited by Ghost5831