XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcomutil Bug

Guest Guest

I re-downloaded X-com UFO, patched it to 1.4, then unzipped XcomUtil9.50 and used the XcuSetup file. Problem is it aborts right after detecting the version saying "ship information not found. Error executing Xcomutil, XcuSetup aborted"

This was with a clean copy of X-com from the pinned topic here, no idea why its not wroking. Also a friend of mines having problems with using the utility on XP, he might be by later to tell you more.

Thanks for the help.

If only they'd rerelease the X-Com games (again), add some tweaks to the game code, make a few bugfixes, give the game better sounds and an improved resolution...ah, man--I'd be the first in line to buy it.

I guess you'll just have to improvise. If your downloaded copy doesn't want to work correctly, your best bet would be to check the major online retailers for used CE editions, or DOS versions if you have a PC fast enough to run DOSbox at an acceptable speed. Hey, I managed to find the ultra-rare Return Fire: Maps O' Death online, so that means that there's some hope! The X-Com games are definitely worth the money at any rate--in fact, UFO Defense is one of the only games I've played that's still fun to pick up and play years after I first completed the game. A bit tough to find, but worth the effort. I wish I could find the original box set...

Perhaps if you PM or e-mail me, I can ascertain where you recieved your copy from and we can work from there.

If only they'd rerelease the X-Com games (again), add some tweaks to the game code, make a few bugfixes, give the game better sounds and an improved resolution...ah, man--I'd be the first in line to buy it.

I seriously believe there's a market for revamped titles, especially with regard to the ever changing specs of the PC market.

I mean, with games like X-COM, even dispite what flaws it had, was still a remarkable game (see *cough* re-marketable *cough* :))

I'd be right in line behind you dude :)

About the versions. I agree, start with making sure they're consistant with what you've got. Before downloading the CE version, I wanted to be sure it worked with the editor I got here and that they worked on my PC. I don't have a techy answer for you, that's best left for others, but I guess it helps too that the editor and game doesn't require I buy a new machine at least ^_^

Plus I'm generally slow to upgrade anything. Still using 'ol 98 SE here

Well, judging from the crazy security issues of XP, I don't think you've made a bad move. Ah, I miss my Win 95 Pheonix laptop. That thing would play anything. Er, anything old, that is. *sigh* Clumsy friend of mine broke it by tripping over the power adaptor cord. ...sheesh--what a way to go.

If you're referring to Doom 3, by the way, don't even bother. Just bought the game myself (only occasionally glanced at it over at my friend's place), struggled to get it to work correctly, only to find out that it plays just like Quake II did back in the day. And, quite frankly, I like Quake II better. As...er...somebody once put it: "Welcome to the new age, same as the old age." You're basically paying 5x what you should to play games that are essentially copies (or in Doom 3's case, ripoffs) of 4-6 year-old games. <_>

Ahem, back on topic. I did some browsing at eBay, only to find that there are a couple (steeply priced) CE editions of X-Com up for sale. The only guaranteed way to get everything you need to play a game is to--surprise, surprise--buy it. I stopped shopping online ages ago, but it's worth looking into.