XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Control

I think after a While about the time you are REALLY Causing a problem with the aliens, they Start Converting a contriy, they could be seen by a High Nember of Terror attacks in it, if it gives in and allies wih the Alien, May it be from fear or Bribes, they join there rank, and after that you start seeing UFOs controled by converts, and they armed With alien weapons, and Payment from it stops, And they may even give aliens a location of one of your bases, Maybe you can help me fill in the details of the idea

Guest stewart
I've had terrorist attacks in countries which have joined the aliens. I know countries do come back but here the attack occured when it was NOT sponsoring. Even then if you don't respond it lowers your score.

Yeah, and what about when terrorist attacks are in cities of countries where you can't fund. You know which I mean. That means that we are going to have to include every country to make it more realisitc and where many countries wouldn't pay anything? What do you all think?

Guest stewart

Unanswered Terror missions in "Independant" cities lower your score too. I wonder if infiltration missions in "Independant" cities can endup going randomly to any country in that Region or not at all. I remember losing India once and the Batleships landed in Tehran and Karachi.

Does anyone remember specifically losing Russia. I played a game where I lost every country except Russia. Further infiltration missions were in the other countries but never Russia. Russia stadles several regions maybe because of that somehow that game can't win over Russia? BTW in that game Russias funding went to 8M and would rise after that despite my having good scores.

We do need more countries, though. They picked 16 because of computer reasons and they need to be spread around the world. That's why we don't see Mexico, Argentina, Iran, Indonesia, Korea, etc.

• 3 months later...

Why not ALL countries? All at least some bonus for saving from "bad

stinky" aliens. After terror site in some not-sponsoring and good rating

contry wchich owns this city would pay some extra cash as a "thank you".

From wchich country money comes could be displayed at the monthly rating.

Xcom apocalypse was designed to do just what you're talking about. They even went a step further (and went pretty far in developing it). The organizations that funded were supposed to have individual influential figues that you could interact with (like if you suspected Marsec's CEO of coming under alien control you could kidnap and interrogate him) but they came up against heavy difficulties in implementing it. (they had designed tracking devices for cars, "cells" for captured people, etc)

I think that it is definately a good idea to have more countries, and NOT to have terror missions in allied countries. I do not quite agree with having converted countries pilot alien ships, but it might be fun to have to battle with soldiers that attack your base. (if, for example, i had a base in germany or near germany, and germany signed a pact, they attack my base). That might be fun.

The other interesting thing in Apocalypse was that if your funding reached a certain level, the game checked the funding by saying "we need money for other programs as well" and decreased the funding for a couple weeks. By that point I was selling so much alien tech that it didn't matter, but the idea is valid. If I have 200 million bucks (which i often did in UFO) why are they paying me 14 million a month?

I thought the idea was to let all the countries in the UN fund you. Don't know how many that are, but that's realistic. Every country should be independent looking, but of course in the programming software you could put them in blocks. For example you always loose New-Zealand together with Australia, but they look independent.

Of course if it's possible every contry should be independent, but i think that's to big a problem.

edit: i checked there are about 200 of them in the UN. I'll try to find out what's particular funding to the UN, so that we could base the X-com funding on that. Maybe i'll try to put them in about 32 blocks....

If I put all this information in Access, could Red dragon translate this to the programming code as well?

Xcom apocalypse was designed to do just what you're talking about.  They even went a step further (and went pretty far in developing it).  The organizations that funded were supposed to have individual influential figues that you could interact with (like if you suspected Marsec's CEO of coming under alien control you could kidnap and interrogate him) but they came up against heavy difficulties in implementing it.  (they had designed tracking devices for cars, "cells" for captured people, etc)

I think that it is definately a good idea to have more countries, and NOT to have terror missions in allied countries.  I do not quite agree with having converted countries pilot alien ships, but it might be fun to have to battle with soldiers that attack your base.  (if, for example, i had a base in germany or near germany, and germany signed a pact, they attack my base).  That might be fun.

The other interesting thing in Apocalypse was that if your funding reached a certain level, the game checked the funding by saying "we need money for other programs as well" and decreased the funding for a couple weeks.  By that point I was selling so much alien tech that it didn't matter, but the idea is valid.  If I have 200 million bucks (which i often did in UFO) why are they paying me 14 million a month?

well that thing you don't agree with could be someone's weird mode they added. I'm hoping that the engine should be modifiable enough to allow such thing.. might not be in V 1.0.. but I think you should totally get to change the game around eventually where you could have a base of just say 10 people and each person has skills like research, engineering and so forth.. for the Xenocide x-com game that would be more like scientist have a 0 for fighting and a 0 for engineering but a value in research.. and soldier have 0 for both research and engineering. Then later we can add diplomacy, spying and other things to be character attributes. when we eventually have enough code to support a galaxyscape and planet scape the game should be able to have a space ship instead of basses as where you characters live and you can explore the galaxy. This is all a long way off but basically the way I see Xenocide is as a battlescape launcher. and those x-com battlescape could be used for several types of games from a western (who known why?) to a game where you have a team of 5 space rogues exploring the galaxy. This project should focus in on the X-Com game but the engine itself should be flexible enough to do all this IMO.

If I put all this information in Access, could Red dragon translate this to the programming code as well?

The same i had posted on another thread... all data can be converted from database records to a more suitable (for our purpose) format. The most difficult thing is to find such data in a clean and useful format... A long time ago i was looking for elevation data to create the texture that encodes the mountains in the geoscape, but all the data available was too massive, intended to be used in Geographical Systems. Way out my processing budget, so i couldnt use it not to mention buy it. Result of this, im still using a crap texture that create some little graphic artifacts away from the ecuator.

Greetings

Red Knight

would bumpmap textures of earth help?  (I can get them for 3d studio max use if they will)

The 3D Studio one (i dont know if thats the origin or it) has the same scalling problem.

About the world texture, i have one with far better resolution and coloring... taken from a Nasa Site...

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 year later...
I thought the idea was to let all the countries in the UN fund you. Don't know how many that are, but that's realistic. Every country should be independent looking, but of course in the programming software you could put them in blocks. For example you always loose New-Zealand together with Australia, but they look independent.

Why not have the smaller countries in a region lump their funding together? So for instance you would have the USA, Canada, and maybe South American Countries in America. Then in the pacific you would have Australia, New Zealand, and Pacific Islands. In asia you might have China, Japan, Korea, India, and South East Asia. In terms of the number of countries, I think the EU makes things easier here, as it could easily just be counted as one country to clear things up on the list :) This way geographically relevant countries give you funding, but you get a collective bonus for having good coverage of the somewhat more remote areas.

Why not have the smaller countries in a region lump their funding together? So for instance you would have the USA, Canada, and maybe South American Countries in America. Then in the pacific you would have Australia, New Zealand, and Pacific Islands. In asia you might have China, Japan, Korea, India, and South East Asia. In terms of the number of countries, I think the EU makes things easier here, as it could easily just be counted as one country to clear things up on the list :) This way geographically relevant countries give you funding, but you get a collective bonus for having good coverage of the somewhat more remote areas.

:idea: Hey, I like that lumping Idea, it simplifies things up, and you might still get to see individual countries.

Neat! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry but if your going to put in the effort to show the individual conutries then I see little benefit to lumping them together again. I think the processing requirements for 200+ countries vs 32 blocks is going to be negligible compared to the other game parts. Do you really think that it's realistic to have whole blocks fund at the same rate or convert at the same time. Most of the times it's the neighboring countries that have problems with each other and will do things the opposite way to be contrary. I would seriously doubt that India would convert if Pakistan got taken over. The only reason for lumping I can see is presenting funding and activity info to the user, 200+ graph lines may be hard to follow, but then just look at region data, and go to country data if you need better resolution.

Personally I think it would add flavor to have the aliens take over Luxembourg when their battleship goes a couple miles off course. ;']

Edward