XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ship Upgrades

Kloreep

Is it just me, or is the Firestar in most respects superior to the Super Avenger?

The Super Avenger gives you an extra special system, an extra missile slot, and the nova bomb slot. I guess it probably has a stronger hull too. But it's quite slothful compared to the Firestar; in order to run at 100% weapon recharge and 50% shield recharge in a Super Avenger while maintaining a decent turn rate, I find I have to slow down a lot.

In a Firestar, on the other hand, I can run at 100/100 weapon/shield recharge, have good maneuverability, and maintain a decent speed of about 150 all at the same time. That for the price of a nova bomb, third special system, and one of four missile launchers.

And yes, I'm using the third level engine - Graviton Pulse IIRC - in both cases.

The Lighting to the Firestar is an obvious choice; four beam weapons instead of two. But I don't see much gain with Firestar to Super Avenger, and I do see some definite loss.

Am I missing something, or am I correct in thinking I shouldn't worry about tossing my Firestars for Avengers in the future?

Which armor type are you using? Tri-titanium is the second strongest, but it's also the heaviest. Trans-dermal, however, is the lightest yet the strongest. You obviously need the Super Avenger for the last mission, what with the Nova Bombs, but it definately has other uses. No offense, but if you always need to up your shield/weapon powers to max, you must not be that great at interceptor. I can usually get by with shield=50, weapons=75. When facing a Shade, or multiple Phantasms, I up shields to 75. I've beaten the game like that on Veteran, so. . .
Anyway, near the end, that extra special systems slot comes in handy. I like having a damage control computer, vector control thrusters, a cloaker, and an advanced ecm on each ship. You can't do that with a Firestar. Still, Firestars are great for dogfights. When facing heavy fighting(base attack/defend, alien/pirate/arms dealer base, alien outpost/opp, anything with shade), go with the avenger. When facing a simple opp/outpost defense mission against spectres (maybe a phantasm), stick to the firestar. But don't underestimate the use of the Super Avenger! Get used to its handling before the last mission, or you'll regret it. . .

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Sep 6 2004, 11:39 AM']Which armor type are you using?  Tri-titanium is the second strongest, but it's also the heaviest.  Trans-dermal, however, is the lightest yet the strongest.[/quote]

I was using Trans-dermal in both cases.

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Sep 6 2004, 11:39 AM']You obviously need the Super Avenger for the last mission, what with the Nova Bombs, but it definately has other uses.  No offense, but if you always need to up your shield/weapon powers to max, you must not be that great at interceptor. I can usually get by with shield=50, weapons=75.[/quote]

I'll be the first to admit I'm not that good. :)

However, how do you get by with 75% weapons later in the game? I can imagine not needing shield recharge against non-cloaked enemies if I get better at dodging, but once I get tracking tracer cannons, I usually never have enough ammo to shoot at everything that I can; I'll take down a UFO or maybe two and then find I have to switch back to missiles while the cannons charge up again.

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Sep 6 2004, 11:39 AM']Anyway, near the end, that extra special systems slot comes in handy.  I like having a damage control computer, vector control thrusters, a cloaker, and an advanced ecm on each ship. You can't do that with a Firestar.[/quote]

Isn't that one more than what an Avenger can handle anyway? But yeah, I like having that minus the cloaker as well. I still need to practice more in the combat simulator to figure out cloak use.

To be honest, while starting to play the game I tried frantically to upgrade all my ships to Super Avengers, but Firestars should be the bulk of your fleet. SAs should provide the heavy firepower required for offensive missions, so a squadron of 2 SAs and 3Fs should do the job.

I have barely used the vector control as I could never use them really - I only use the damage control and maybe ECM, but again never really used that either. Cloaking Devices, while ocassionally are nice, I feel drain too much power, so it is a matter of personal choice. But, then decloaking and firing a barrage of Permeator missiles at anything is quite a thrill :D