XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Of course. What you heard on there was an unpolished bit of randomness of me in my normal voice. I can raise or lower it, and I'm actually much more comfortable doing serious roles. I'm looking to go pro, and this would be pretty good for a portfolio, but at the same time, I also love the subject matter. With any of the groups I've been mentioning, nobody will ask to be paid unless you charge money for the game, so it should be no problem!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, when submitting audio for the game. It will have to be at the highest quality possible. If you post it at a lower quality thats exactly what we'll have to work with. The higher the quality the more editing we can do with it at a later date. So as close to studio conditions as possible as you can get please. 16bit 44khz CD quality and in mono please.

We can add in any 'effects' later to it when we know what we're going to use.

I don't know a lot about music ( or at least making it without the help of decks ) but isn't the quality it is recorded at determined by the equipment? If it is do you know if you equipment can record at CD quality?

Well, I can't really do any music. But most instruments today can do CD quality. The voice recording software I use can record at/above(?) CD quality as well. That's the great thing about digital music. It may take up a lot of space for high quality, but you can get it very close to sounding real. *real meaning me talking directly to you.*

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, Deimos too I think. CD quality would be fine, what accents do you think they can reproduce accuratly? IE not cheesily, that's not a slight on you but reproducing accents when not done properly can cause offense.

I suggest we find people from each country we want to represent to do their own accents rather than try to impersonate. The radio chatter thread has a couple ideas about what to say if you're looking, I didn't bother, just said what popped into my head. Not exactly the quality we'd want for the game :D , just to get the posts rolling I guess. With a real script I can do some real bass samples, would be easier to do without family members in hearing staring at me... :crying:

voices.zip

The problem with voicing responses is that you either have a heck of a lot of them for each and every response (which will take up a lot of mb's, which as the game is going to be a download, we have to consider our server space and the poor person that wants it) or they get very tiring very quick. Starcraft et al got annoying just for that reason. Constantly hearing "yes sir" or whatver to a click wound me and I'd suspect from the responses of people in the workshops many others too.

I'd rather we kept the voice acting to a minimum as explained in the workshops. Keep it to important information only. Death sounds and so on like the original.

Just an idea, but would it be less annoying if it were more quiet, in my experience I ignore sounds like that after a while if they are repetitive, so maybe 20 respones for 10 countries or regions, if we manage to find a way of compressing them so that the game can still read them that could work.

Those are good sound bits Rhyos, your voice makes a very good medium range. You have my vote when we start making samples. ^_^

Thank you, thank you... I've always been an Arnie fan, used to have it perfect back in high school. Met him once, didn't have the nerve to impersonate him to his face. :D They were just goofy sounds, I left out yoda and Jabba the Hut, unless we want sounds for the Overmind! :D

I've merged the voice acting thread from the workshop with this one, as this is still considered a v1+ idea at this point. As we get closer to completion there might be time to consider this for v1, but that depends on the programmer time available. Just a heads up.

• 10 months later...
Guest alex the greater
i think the voice accting is a bad idea cause you would have to get an acctor for evry accent and sex and you would end up whit evry one of the same gender and nation sounding the same

Yeah, the problem is it's terrificly immersive when well done, but if it's even a tiny bit off the mark, it ruins the whole experience... most game sequels that use voice acting are somewhat less than the original, because they have less budget for the acting... It shows...

When in doubt, just make it plain text and it'll be just fine...

(Just think UFO: Aftermath, it get tiresome after a while)

Well, we obviously don't want C&C-esque "affirm-a-lat-tiff" command acknowledgements making our ears bleed, but the occasional bit of Halo-ish radio chatter wouldn't really hurt. And the issue of multiple nationality/gender combinations isn't a problem--look how many of us hail from so many different backgrounds as it is! I'm thinking that maybe later down the road, we can all stage some kind of "screen-test" (or is that "microphone test?") to see who'd make the most believable voice actors. Something to toy around with later on, I guess.

Looking at some of the suggestions before, I'm intrigued by the idea of having voice play a significant role in the game. Of course, it's a hard balance of emotion versus...well...sounding overly obnoxious, but with concentrated time and effort, I think it would pay off. Just imagine how cool a Cloak could sound when he spots your guys by ProWav-ing someone's speech, then adding a cool, gutteral echo effect. Strange Gray chittering, human radio chatter, and even civilians screaming for help or trying to tell you where they last saw an enemy would fit perfectly into the game. In fact, I wondered why you couldn't at least interact with the civilians in the original X-Com--merely having even the most minimal voice acting for the civilians would add a great extra layer of coolness.

Heck, maybe later, some CTD guys could scribble a rough script to base the lines on, then the "big guys" could check over it to see if it works, then we could go from there.

Ah well--just my two cents.

Ah, and by the way--not to demean the idea of putting voice acting into the game, I can "do" a couple decent "accents," as well.

Edited by The Master Maniac

It would be kind of shortsighted NOT to have at least a couple voice samples in such a modern game, but it's obviously not my call. Still, I can't help thinking how cool it would be to have soldiers with that extra bit of personality.

At lest, we could try to have the soldiers pop up small text messages of screen, such as "Bug spotted", or "Nailed the bastard!!", because if we can make sure it is'nt too cheezy with text, it'll be easier in the voice casting...

then again, add lots of static and it'll sound just perfect... :D

• 1 year later...

Um.. I don't think they are.

SC2 is a game made by a company, the remake simply takes the voices from the old one.

http://uqm.stack.nl/forum/index.php?PHPSES...e9&topic=2739.0

Anyway, voice overs are a really good feature, it is said that voice overs make the game, even if it could be a badly done one.

Edited by Sectopod

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

im new here but i have to reply this.

EVERY time ive played a craft recovery i ende saying things like "Control, i'm seeing smoke, i reapeat, im seeing smoke, the power source is damaged, sorry pals, no elerium" or "i got a prisioner here, some little present for the reserch department", so i think taht an "operator" (probably a woman) that say simple thigs as "alien spoted" "Power sourse found" or things like that

• 2 months later...