XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How Recent?

a couple weeks ago every one was free to download the full version of the x-com games and now suddenly we can't. I own all the games, this is just something that catches my eye is this because of legal issues? How soon did they get taken off? :alienmad: :aliencool: :( :bash: :cussing:

• 2 weeks later...
'it sucked much goat ballz' Hmm, I haven't played Apoc OR sucked on goat ballz... what's that like, or it in one of the movie scenes in the game? :huh?: Just kidding! Although that would make a funny scene for a peace treaty signing! Hey Saddam, one more thing after you're done with that pen and paper... :o

• 1 month later...
FOOLS! FOOLS! Apocalypse was by far the greatest game in the series. By adding much improved graphics, sounds, REALTIME COMBAT (woo!) and tons more, the game dragged UFO out in the street and beat it silly. Not saying that UFO wasn't great, it just can't stand it's ground compared to Apoc. Time moves on.

Guest drewid

The apoc grahpihs were nowhere near as good as they should have been.

There were some glaring simple errors made there, and a ton of artist/coder miscommunication didn't help.

bit sad really.

:crying:

Guest drewid
Not necessarily. But the graphics in apocalypse -should- have been better than they were. eg, that grating floor which makes your eyes hurt should have been lower contrast. the way the sprites were assembled really didn't help the animation either.

Guest drewid

agree and disagree

I kinda liked the retro thing, but thats a personal thing.

Lots of it was "slicker" looking too, more polished, which was an improvement for sure.

But there bits of it that -really- let it down IMHO.

Gameplay was another issue, it always felt like there was too much "crammed in", which I didn't like personally, but other people like that.... so hey who am I to judge.

Dev wise it was a troubled project, but that's another story... or several actually :D

Guest drewid

*cough*, mortgage , kids, welcome to real life *cough*.

Hey - even Leonardo was a commercial artist working for ca$h.

Sometimes you have to do stuff which isn't cool, just to pay the bills, which also means you can do stuff which IS cool in your own time.

Even working on uncool stuff is still making games and the job is still a challenge and fun anyhow.

:D

Edited by drewid

Guest drewid

The Apocalypse animation we done under ludicrous restrictions, and the artist did a sterling job considering the pain he went through to get there.

I'm sure he would have done an even better job if the sprite system had been a bit saner.

Edited by drewid

• 2 weeks later...

ive played apoc a little bit - enough to know that in real time, having dual auto cannons on your men is mega cool

but ive been told that the AI learnt in apoc, as in after a while it would copy your tactics to use on yourself, or something like that perhaps adapting to how you operate your squad

anyways if this is true, you'd think more games would pick up this feature cos it sounds great

Guest drewid

Alledgedly yes, the AI learnt. At least that was what the coders said IIRC.

What it learnt and how clever it was is a completely different thing though.

"real" ai is still pretty primitive in games because of speed issues, people tend to think the AI is doing more than it really is, and attribute actions that are actually random to intelligence.

• 8 months later...
yea... im glad i DLed apocolypse... it sucked much goat ballz.

horribly paled in comparison to UFO defence...

Blasphemy! Apocalypse is X-coms finest hour! :boxing: :bash: :plasma: :flame: :uzzi: :laser: :uzzi2: :hate: :spank: :yell: :whip: :angry:

Apoc is the worse x-com (If you don't count 4,5,6) But it's still a good game.

Games are about experience. atmosphere is part of that experience

Games without atmosphere of some sort should be taken out back and shot between their dewey doe-like eyes

I have played that game through and have listened the radio a lot but still don't get it. Don't remember it. Maybe because I almost always listen to "hardrock" :D

• 2 months later...
Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Tron, Frogger, and Galaga all on the original standup machines rule. Of course those machines now need to be boosted about a foot higher for ease of reach! :D