ART - Issue #104 - Raptor Model

Vaaish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its kinda of cool to be able to put something together like that so I might try and texture this myself. With the pics from above and the pic I attached from a week ago, (included in this post to) which do you like better, with color and the actual texture of the skin. The old one I actually put time into making it look like metal the other one is just gray for now cuz it wasn't for texturing. But I want to get ideas, are we going with the color in the concept picture? Is it supposed to be smooth; I figured it would be rough.

Render.jpg

Its kinda of cool to be able to put something together like that so I might try and texture this myself.  With the pics from above and the pic I attached from a week ago, (included in this post to) which do you like better, with color and the actual texture of the skin. The old one I actually put time into making it look like metal the other one is just gray for now cuz it wasn't for texturing. But I want to get ideas, are we going with the color in the concept picture? Is it supposed to be smooth; I figured it would be rough.

Hmm, the pic you posted a week ago and the one you posted now look exactly the same, I suppose the changes you've been doing are not noticeable for us non-modellers :) I really like that rough texture.

I have some ideas for the texture that I would like to discuss with you.

edit: but I don't have much time right now, so I'll write back when I can :)

If you have any ideas for the texture, share 'em :)

Edited by fux0r666

I'm not sure, looking at the concept its smooth I take, but I don't like that, don't know if those are the colors either. I think a rough texture, brownish kinda dinosaurish skin. The metal, clean and sleak or rough like as its been put through some use? Edited by Darkhomb

I see it as being either reptilian or amphibian. The concept leaves some room to play with the actual texture. I think the purple brown you have on your recent variation is good for a base color. Adding colorful markings like hte poision dart frogs of South America would be a good way to go. We do want it to appear alien and right now we have a very alien form... coloring it too terrestrially would hurt that.

I see it as being either reptilian or amphibian. The concept leaves some room to play with the actual texture. I think the purple brown you have on your recent variation is good for a base color. Adding colorful markings like hte poision dart frogs of South America would be a good way to go. We do want it to appear alien and right now we have a very alien form... coloring it too terrestrially would hurt that.

I actually envisioned the texture to be a dark, purplish colour with fiery red streaks starting from the head and running backwards, fanning out over the sides. For the metal headgear I thought of either alien alloy or a shiny, polished black. I can try and whip something up to show you if you like.

edit: furry, of course ;)

Edited by j'ordos

Fur will be a nightmare. Your markings fall in pretty good with the poision dart frog idea too. I'm interested in what Fux is cooking up too :)

I was thinking a sandy colour with blue stripes. I'll draw something to show you what I mean. It will be open for debate, of course.

That mottled skin texture is a noise material applied to the bump channel, right? You should increase the size of it, I think. I think it would be better to try to have some definition at medium camera ranges.

Yup, told you I wasnt going to do anything until i get some comments.. Though if someone wants to give it ashot i can up the model.

this alittle better, added lot more noise but it got very rough, then blured it then added noise on top

How much yellow you talking about for sandy?

Edit I'm bored. Hows the stripes?

far.jpg

far2.jpg

sandy.jpg

stripes.jpg

Edited by Darkhomb

By larger for the bump map, I meant larger as in larger bumps, btw. More definition... a larger number of pixels per map tile.. do you know what I'm saying? Zoom in the the bump map channel, so to speak. Those options are accessible in the noise texture controls. You can scale them along the xyz/uvw planes.

Your talking about the noice channel in max itself? If I remember the options theres Scale, Tile and Amount? Plus there is use real world scare or not. angle and uv xy etc... Not really sure how to use it, Tweaked with it for awhile but I got undesired results. Or do I then have to change the bump map with it. Plus does ogre itself render these effects as well? Or is it just model, bump spec etc.

Or do you mean the number next to the bump map? It is already at 100. It was at 30 when I moved to 100 it was very rough and then i blurred the bump map a little.

Take in mind, I am still new to this. Normally just played around with these tools til I would get what i like

Edit again. I have some good ideas now and I'm going to completly re do some things and bump map is going to have a huge change. First I am going to re weld a couple places were the seams need to change. and I am going to make the skin scally with harder "armor" in certin places. I'll work on it tonight.

Edited by Darkhomb

I like the idea on the back but the last varient of the leg and thigh area doesn't work very well.

If you can revert to the previous verion and tone down the bump a little I think that will work better. Another thing to think about would be to add fold lines around the joints like how an elephants skin creases.

Ok, I'l work on that tonight. Anything else to try and throw in to atleast see diffrent ideas as well as colors.

making the underside a lighter color and less bumpped perhaps. I still want to see what Fux has in mind with the striping but that van be added after the rest is taken care of.

Just for the record "I love what you are doing to this model"

and I wonder what it would look like if the "scaled" areas were darker than the under skin... sort of like they were thicker... just a thought.

-Eamon

Thanks guys appreciate your comments

and I wonder what it would look like if the "scaled" areas were darker than the under skin... sort of like they were thicker... just a thought.

Can you explain a little more. As in the bumped area is darker and the lines inbetween is lighter?

Like this?

daken.jpg

Edited by Darkhomb

looks pretty good. that is waht I meant about the folds. now go in and make some finer creases to go with the larger folds to add more detail to it. Also keep in mind adding a contour to show mscle beneath the skin niot just skin wrapped aroud nothing.

Yes! that is what I was thinking... I love the darker color. It adds depth to the texture. now for the skin part try something like this...

it is elephant skin... but focus on the horizontal folds in the skin and the crack patterns in the smaller picture... again just my opinion. also I was looking a bird leg pictures and found this...

-Eamon

elephant_safari.jpg

30070_03003.jpg

bird_legs.jpg

Edited by eamon

somehow, that skin makes me think of the bullsquid in half-life. Nice job, it looks excelent, including the colour scheme. I really can't see anything bad in it :(

I'll see what I can do, so this is supposed to be a smooth skin? I want to see if people like this option better cuz I lost the other bump map because I installed deep paint and was seeing what it could do but I went past the allowable amount of undo's so I will have to redraw it and my attempt last night wasn't as nice. Edited by Darkhomb

My fear is that this critter will end up looking too raptorish and not alien enough in its appearance form not withstanding.

I really liked what you did with that aligator like texture and where the legs were going. If we keep what you had there along the spine and smooth it out as it goes farther down to the more folded elephant skin feel of the legs and add the stripes to the legs and sides of the back I think we will end up with a critter that has a kind of predatory but agile feel wile retaining the idea that it did have some naturally thik armor that was enhansed by the aliens when they added the mind control components.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Also keep in mind adding a contour to show mscle beneath the skin niot just skin wrapped aroud nothing.

So how would I go about this, Make a plain bump and add muscle definition and then make the skin details on top of that?

looks pretty good on teh back but its way too bumppy on teh sides... I think it would look better if the plates transitioned more smoothly to the skin on the sides instead of the abrupt transition.

Looks great =b Cant wait too see this fully textured Edited by Shinzon