XCOMUFO & Xenocide

All Recruits, Please Post Here

Hi,

can all recruits that are still active in the programming department post here including a short summary of their interests and what they are currently working on and what they might be interested in afterwards?

We are planning on assigning each recruit a full member as mentor in order to have you guys more integrated. So if you have already been working together with one of the full members, you might want to post that too.

Greetings,

Rincewind

Hi,

I'm currently working with Beetle and Bosco on the Ogre-style singleton conversion. After that I would like to work on the AI, either on design or development (or both).

I have several years of experience with C/C++ and C#, and a bit with Java, Python, and Lua. Most of my C/C++ experience is on the embedded side, and my C# with support libraries, I don't have much experience with UI in either of them. I have a master's in computer engineering, and did my thesis work on computational intelligence and machine learning (specifically Reinforcement Learning, although I also did some work on neural networks, fuzzy logic, and a few other ML approaches.) I have a couple ideas involving reinforcement learning for battlescape AI that I would like to explore further. I also have way too much experience with Enemy Unknown and TFTD, so that may help a bit.

For now, I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the codebase as much as possible, as I'm fixing the singletons that I've taken on, I am using that as an opportunity to look at the classes I'm editing and every class that they talk to in pretty deep detail.

Well, I can't think of anything else to say, so I guess I'll stop.

I look forward to working with the team on this great project.

Travis

hi, im a student interested in programming, tried a bit of C, C++, C# and lua in my time, im interested mainly in the AI side of things, although im not sure how much I could help

Im not really working on anything at the moment, more lurking and just being interested in whats going on

Hi,

I am a experienced programmer in C/C++ and Java, but i don't have too much knowledge in AI, so, i would be more helpful in others tasks.

I'm working with twhickey on ogre singleton conversion.

JBosco.

JBosco, you can bet that we have plenty of tasks to do even if we take out AI from the set ;).

Greetings

Red Knight

* points finger to this thread: :Whisper: : http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5592 *

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if kalergo reports in (as I talked to him very, very briefly on icq, yesterday) :Poke:

Then we will hopefully find a satisfying solution for everybody concerning the mentor-assignements. So all full members and recruits, if you haven't done so already, you might want to contact me about your preferences (first come, first serve, our selected choice of recruits and full members, only available for a short time. Don't miss this one-time opportunity!!! :P ).

As a sidenote to the recruits: We've always found it very useful to use Instant Messaging like ICQ or MSN to discuss things a little more interactively than in the forums, so for those that haven't already done so, you might want to add contact information about this to your profile (or if you are concerned about the site being spidered, add a little rubbish to the end of it or pm it to the other programming members).

Rincewind

Alright, comes the preliminary assignment (I talked to most of you already, but if there are objections, etc, feel free to contact me, I'm sure we'll find a solution).

In general, I would recommend getting in touch with the mentor/recruit as soon as possible, preferable by Instant Messenger in order to establish some form of approach to finishing tasks.

Again, this should mean that recruits work independently on their tasks, they are not there for the grunt-work :hammer:

The mentor's role is to provide help and advise on the task, discuss design issues in more detail than in the forum or integrate the recruit into the mentor's own tasks.

Basicly, this is what the majority of members has already tried to do in the past, this is just a more formalized approach.

Also, I hope it encourages recruits to ask questions, remember, we all started out without a clue about this project (except red knight, who's been here from the beginning. Now I hope I didn't forgot someone) and learned a lot along the way (both about xenocide and in general about programming and software design).

One last point: the mentors should add a section for their recruits in their roadmap in the wiki (take a look at my roadmap to see what I mean). The recruits should then fill it and keep it updated themselves. Also, recruits should try to keep at least their mentors informed about their progress.

So finally, here are the assignment:

guyver6: JBosco, CrownedWombat

Beetle: kamkazejay

Rincewind: twhickey, P|c

Now, back to work everybody :P

Greetings,

Rincewind

Sorry I'm late, it's the end of semester and I'm quite dead from working. In May I'll have a ton more time and I'll get back to what I was doing, which was making us a decent Xenocide-Look class for CEGUI based on TaharezLook, or completely new. (note: I can't find any code on Falagard in the CEGUI CVS).

My AIM = my username, but I only accept IMs from people on my buddy list, so anyone who needs to message me should PM me and I'll add you. I check my email all the time and get email updates whenever someone PMs me, so even if I'm not currently active on the boards I'll get your message.

Sorry I'm late, it's the end of semester and I'm quite dead from working. In May I'll have a ton more time and I'll get back to what I was doing, which was making us a decent Xenocide-Look class for CEGUI based on TaharezLook, or completely new. (note: I can't find any code on Falagard in the CEGUI CVS).

My AIM = my username, but I only accept IMs from people on my buddy list, so anyone who needs to message me should PM me and I'll add you. I check my email all the time and get email updates whenever someone PMs me, so even if I'm not currently active on the boards I'll get your message.

Sounds good. I send you a pm about the AIM stuff.

Rincewind

OK

arrendek will be assigned to me :)

One note (sorry for repeating):

If you (recruit) have any question or idea about code use forum, if have some other questions (organization / send patch/ etc) use PM :)

Greetings,

Beetle