XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Poppers

Captain B

Greetings!

Yesterday one of my soldiers got killed by a popper. Well, I am used to this happening from time to time, especially when they explode near UFO entrances, where there are usually loads of explosives from the Skeletoids and Anthropodes I gunned down there... but yesterday it happened without secundary explosions, to a soldier equipped with a shield, in Megapol armor, and about 50-60 health. I never seen a popper-explosion cutting through an undamaged shield before, let alone killing the carrying soldier.

So my questions:

How many damage does a popper explosion do? Is it fixed damage or is there a roll involved?

Thanks for your help!

Captain B

even a popper explosion right in the face (ground-zero) shouldn't have been able to chew through an entire shield, armor AND then through the HP - since the last point of shielding (before it malfunctions) eats up all the damage and you end up without shield and undamaged health.

if there were any secondary explosions, well, then that is entirely possible :D

Well, here are some thoughts: Were there any other explosives nearby - like boomeroids or vortex mines? Or was there a second popper that struck you at the same time from your blind side?

The only thing I can positively say about the blast strength of a popper is that it is no where near as powerful as the vortex mine.

- NKF

Nope - Nothing of the sort.

My agent was crouched at a T-junction in an UFO. She was at one of the "upper-line T" corridors, so she had free view into the other "upper line T" corridor, with perhaps two squares away from the "lower line T" corridor. The popper ran out of the lower line corridor and blew into her face. There were definitively no secundary explosions, no poppers behind me (cause there were other agents, far enough away so they didn't get hit by the blast)... it is a mystery to me... The only explanation I have (which isn't a good one) is that there possibly were two or even three poppers stacked at the same location (i.e. a bug), because this one was the only popper I encountered in the whole UFO. But since I haven't encountered something like that before, I really don't believe it myself...

That is -exactly- well possible.

Clipping errors ensue -all- the time for me, and in-frame (this is, completely synchronized) aliens too - today I blew apart a skeletoid with a dimlauncher only to find A SECOND ONE standing there - also with a dimlauncher (which, of course, poofed against double shields. but still)

It has happened to me with every alien type except for megaspawn, psimorphs and micronoids aggregates.

:c