XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Can't Get Other Util Features

Tsereve

I have an XP, Util, EU, and TFTD (both CE). I've gotten thru XcomSetupU (whatever its called), and all those "use improved base/tanks", "get research help", etc. stuff. From what I've seen people post here, however, leads me to think there's a lot more than that to Util. My problem is, I can't access any of that stuff. When I run Util, a dos box appears, and then one of two things happens, depending on where the file is located (tfd/eu directory vs. savegame directory). Sometimes, it is blank for .3 seconds, then disappears. Other times, a bunch of text appears on it, then it disappears. When the latter occurs, the dos box vanishes too quickly to read the text. Can anyone here provide a "util for absolute dummies" guide? (e.g. where to install, what to do next, after that, how to access other features, etc.) if the y/n things in the setup are all to util, then nevermind.

XcomUtil is a command-line program. if you just run it you won't see anything because windows automatically closes the "dos box" when the program ends.

you've got to open a command prompt (what you call a dos box) by typing cmd in the Start > Run window and then use it to run xcomutil.

more info on the xcomutil documentation ;)

I have an XP, Util, EU, and TFTD (both CE).  I've gotten thru XcomSetupU (whatever its called), and all those "use improved base/tanks", "get research help", etc. stuff.  From what I've seen people post here, however, leads me to think there's a lot more than that to Util.  My problem is, I can't access any of that stuff.  When I run Util, a dos box appears, and then one of two things happens, depending on where the file is located (tfd/eu directory vs. savegame directory).  Sometimes, it is blank for .3 seconds, then disappears.  Other times, a bunch of text appears on it, then it disappears.  When the latter occurs, the dos box vanishes too quickly to read the text.  Can anyone here provide a "util for absolute dummies" guide?  (e.g. where to install, what to do next, after that, how to access other features, etc.)  if the y/n things in the setup are all to util, then nevermind.

All of your questions SHOULD be answered by reading XcomUtil.txt in the package. If you feel that you really messed up running XcuSetup (the XcomUtil install script), you can always delete all of the *.XCF files in the game directory and try again. As a Windows user, you will want to follow the instructions displayed by XcuSetup for creating a desktop shortcut. They are only shown the first time XcuSetup is executed OR the first time after you delete the *.XCF files. The shortcut is the easiest way to run the game with XcomUtil.

• 1 year later...