XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Assault Rifle

Guest drewid

Guest drewid
We'll never keep up with reality. This baby has programmable ammo.

There are some thumbs at the bottom which have some impressive pics at the other end

[url="http://www.secretweapon.com/"]http://www.secretweapon.com/[/url]

Guest drewid
That was what impressed me. I reminded me of the programmable ammo from Judge Dredd.

It's not that far from a blaster launcher if you think about it.
It already judges distance, now all you need is steering.

• 4 weeks later...
Edited to make relevent. This thread is for discussing the pistol and rifle models you start the game with. It would also include the ammo clips for those weapons. This used to be the human guns thread, lots of housecleaning ans splitting of topics has left this. :D Edited by Breunor

Guest drewid
good work.

How big are the textures?

rocket launcher - nice one.

Might be worth lightening the texture on the p90 a bit, make it easier to see the details.

Ok, a standard X-Com rifle. It's is based on the assult version of the HK32 which some of you wanted to see in the game, although I have beefed it up in some places it still looks like an Hk32.

I want your optintion, straight or bent mag?:

I think the latest M16 clip is similar to the nato standard, if not the standard.

Nice stunrod Gambino, though I think we can be a bit more adventerous with the design. Maybe have a large belt mounted battery pack and somethign a bit more form fitting? Maybe use as a reference a Fencing rapier or foil as I'd imagine that's about as close as I'd want to get to an alien :D

Another idea could be something like this [url="http://zzz.com.ru/"]http://zzz.com.ru/[/url] Article 169, second item. Basically its a wireless version of a tazer. Would look very cool in game and you would have to stand right next to the alien for it to work as well. Edited by Deimos

As to clips, IMO the straight one looks better. I agree, it's a very nice rifle. I'll update the assetlist with that last pic. I'd say that's a finished rifle model.

There was talk about a stun rifle as a v1+ item, worked just like a rifle but stunned instead. I like the stun rod, like a huge version of those hand-held personal defense zappers. They used them in Demolition Man too didn't they?

I would render of images of these but I don't currently have MAX installed. If anyonewants to use them and texture them go right ahead, if I rememver right they are a barrett, pump shotgun, and a 747. Only the shotgun is textured and none are scaled.

Here ya go!

I'd like to check them out, but I can't open max files. Sad but true :crying: . Could you edit the previous post with a zip file containing them in 3ds format when possible? 3ds is the supported format. If you can't and someone else can open and convert them, please contact Vaaish about emailing the files back to him. One of things we don't want is for people to open an artist's model, change it, and resubmit it as a second file, even for this purpose. The only time you should be making changes for something other than your own models is when the artist gives you permission to do so. The artist should then be sent the file to resubmit it as the original attachment, replacing the previous one with a note in the post stating this IMO.

As to the list of items gambino, pick whatever you like. Even with the general idea of an item, different artists might design the same thing differently enough that we can say, I like this part of yours, and that part of the other one. What would they look like together?" That type of thing. So pick whatever catches your fancy. :D Edited by Breunor

• 11 months later...
Hey everybody. It's my first post here, so be gentle? ;)

I just wanted to add a little concept art for a rifle here. Inspired by XCOM of course :D One of my better concept art drawings, too :blink: (I draw really tiny, so if it looks somewhat blurry, you know now know why) I just wanted a buff-looking rifle. Personally I'm not a big fan of that HK32. :unsure:

On a further note : The socom gun that has been done looks really cool. But I wonder if we really want to use reallife weapons for this game? Seems more fun to me to take some artistic liberty making this game.

Maybe I'll go ahead and start on a 3D version of this right away. I just like it so much :D

We were using realworld weapons as the base for human tech because this game is set in real world + 10 years or so. Later weapons such as the Laser and Blaster have more of a alien future feel to them because of the alien influence on their designs.

Generally if you look in that thread entitled art list and completed designs you can get a good feel of how the tech should look. Also read the style guide on the art assets page for further info and finally for starters pick a model that isn't assigned so we don't end up with redundant models being made. Later if need be we can go back and redo ones that we haven't received the models for or that we decided to change the look of(there needs to be a REALLY good reason though or we will never finish the models)

incidently where we animating weapons in the field (ala Max Payne)? I.e. the slide looks nice on the pistol, but would we get to see it work?

Perhaps we could include a 'firing animation' button? Like, every time you clicked that button, we would see a high quality firing animation (such as cycling bolt for the pistol, charging up for the plasma guns, etc.)

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='May 17 2004, 09:22 PM']Perhaps we could include a 'firing animation' button? Like, every time you clicked that button, we would see a high quality firing animation (such as cycling bolt for the pistol, charging up for the plasma guns, etc.)[/quote]
As part of the Xnet? I'm all for shooting high quality guns in the Xnet. I'll click that button until the clip runs empty.

...But then I'd need a reload button... I just hope it won't use real ammo. ^_^

[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='May 18 2004, 03:01 AM'][quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='May 17 2004, 09:22 PM']Perhaps we could include a 'firing animation' button? Like, every time you clicked that button, we would see a high quality firing animation (such as cycling bolt for the pistol, charging up for the plasma guns, etc.)[/quote]
As part of the Xnet? I'm all for shooting high quality guns in the Xnet. I'll click that button until the clip runs empty.

...But then I'd need a reload button... I just hope it won't use real ammo. ^_^ [/quote]
Nice, but I think that's something better suited for a post-v1 release (unless there's nothing else to do but well, I don't think we'll reach THAT point any time soon :P )

Heh, and using real ammo from your stores... "I just researched blaster launchers, let's see what that does in x-net" *clicks fire button numorous times until message appears: 'not enough ammo present in stores'* :o :wacko: :devillaugh: Edited by j'ordos

I'd hold off on making weapon animations, we have so many other models to do that this would really be a waste of effort IMO.

Like previously mentioned, we have a high quality OICW model done, around 3500 polys, that needs texturing. The lower poly version will take 5 minutes, using the directX mesh tool in Milkshape to reduce poly count. The 5 minutes is for flipping edges for better smoothing afterwards.

A high quality texture (512x512 or so) can also be reduced in size for the in-game model, so that's what we're really needing at this point.

[quote]Heh, and using real ammo from your stores... "I just researched blaster launchers, let's see what that does in x-net" *clicks fire button numorous times until message appears: 'not enough ammo present in stores'* [/quote]

Followed shortly by the message "The following X-corp bases has been lost..."

• 1 year later...
I'm not quite sure how to create an issue in the tracker or what not, but I was doodling the other day and I came up with an assault rifle design that's kind of cool looking and borrows from a lot of different rifles but is essentially original. I can delete the m203 and put a heat shield or rail with a tactical grip if you would prefer. The alteration would be quite simple. This drawing style permits me to do these in under an hour. I'm so proud of myself for that :) It wouldn't be appropriate for much other than firearms but it really makes this easy.

C_391X.jpg

Edited by fux0r666

it looks pretty good as it is but I think we should take off the 203 since the player wouldn't have the ability to fire it.

My other concern is the sighting sustem. THe carrying handle is pretty large up there and I think it could look alot better if the handle was smaller and had a sighting system built in,

Final concern is the calaber, with the silencer on the front and removing the 203 the barrel is going to look really thin. Maybe make the weapon more snubnosed like the mp5 and attach the silnever directly to the front? or maybe make the barrel handle 7.62mm instead of 5.56?

As far as the time taken, I think it is a very efficient way to do concept art... We will know for sure when we model it if the guys need more detail, but until that I think it is ok...

@Vaaish: Start putting Fux concepts in the SVN for backup storage, if we then decide to change it or they evolve we keep the SVN in sync only.

Greetings

Red Knight

The sites are built in?

The carry handle is like the FAMAS, I suppose. The FAMAS has a flip up, adjustable apperture at the back and a blade at the front. Large carry handles are kind of the fashion right now, what with the FAMAS, xm8, and the g36. Do you want optical sites or something?

Yeah, this concept wasn't purpose built for the project. I was just messing around.

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe, Xm-8. What an ugly duckling.

The LR-300 is kind of cool, though.

Personally, I would have rather had an assault rifle more like the the HK416 enhanced carbine, but I don't think that that extensive RIS would translate well into a low poly model.

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/416-14main.jpg

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/416-10__1main.jpg

It is nice, but yeah I don't know how well that would work for you.. But when I think of a rifle for Xenocide, i think more futuristic then what we have now.. and the XM8 comes to mine with its looks. Even if you don't take anything else from it. The built in sites/range finder make it look more hitech.

Futuristic... Think that back when they were developing the m16 in the '50's that they were thinking that we would be using laserguns in 2005 instead of their half-century old pop-gun? Probably ;) In fact, most of the ARs in use right now, except the g36 (and xm8) and the TAVOR , are developments of weapon systems that were first conceived in the '60s. Maybe the an94, but I think that that is still based on the kalishnokov design. I think that the HK416 is much more representative of the future of weapons than the xm8. I think that developments of the xm8 will look more like the HK 416 than they do that plastic-fantastic mock-up. Trends have been toward modularity, maneoverability and adaptability, not huge plastic shells and racing-car lines. To me, the XM-8 looks like a cheesy fantasy and the HK416 looks like the future :)

edit: bad grammar.

Edited by fux0r666

I actually like that last post you made fux, it has a nice insustrial feel to it and I like the integrated optics... however :)

I think we should remove the forward pistol grip so we don't have issues attaching it to the soldier models, beef up that section a bit to compensate for the loss, and shorten the barrel I would think more like a bullpup(they do alot of urban combat and close quarters action in UFO's) with a silencer or a flash suppressor (we should probably go with flsh suppressor because of the sound effects unlesswe want to have a silenced rifle, Atex?)

If you want it to be a bullpup, it would probably solve a lot of the problems in terms of the perceived lack of volume in the fore-grip. However, it would make the integrated sites reaaaallly weird. I have never seen a bullpup with integrated sites like that. The TAVOR comes close. It would look unlike anything out there.

If you want it to be a bullpup, it would probably solve a lot of the problems in terms of the perceived lack of volume in the fore-grip.  However, it would make the integrated sites reaaaallly weird.  I have never seen a bullpup with integrated sites like that.  The TAVOR comes close.  It would look unlike anything out there.

ok then lets see how it looks w/o integrated sites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...