XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - NEUDARs (Short and Large Range)

SupSuper

No offense at all. So, the fish detects/emitts which frequency band(s)?

If you use radar technology, then why can't everybody detect UFOs?

I prefer x-ray

To detect X-ray over these distances would require very high doses of X-rays, so this might be a bit of a problem... But then again, if one only uses it as additional tracing mathod and not as screening method, this might work. I wonder what's with the background if the UFO flies in front of the sun...

And not everyone can detect UFOs with a radar, because the reflection is so faint, that you can't use this method for screening, since everyone will just discard the faint signal as noise. But for tracking it might just work...

@asty: well, it doesn't have to be, but I think it would be a bit oversized for a viewscreen... :)

Edited by Mad

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looking at the awd models again now, I have to amend my judgement. they do have receivers. unfortunately they are mounted so that they will only receive rays hitting the dish from angles below the horizon. duh. perhaps we could convince vaaish to at least flip them upside down before starting to texture the models?

I agree with mad, the most convincing explanation would be to say that the dishes are used to receive some kind of characteristic conventional radiation emitted by the UFOs (x-rays for example, or perhaps they detect the cosmic background radiation "shadow" caused by the UFO?). But because the dish can only scan a small area of the sky, the neutrino detectors tell the computers where to look.

Just a fast reply:

I agree with mad, the most convincing explanation would be to say that the dishes are used to receive some kind of characteristic conventional radiation emitted by the UFOs (x-rays for example)
Which band should be used then?? I don't have any ideas right now, but if I come up with something I'll post it. What do you propose?

or perhaps they detect the cosmic background radiation "shadow" caused by the UFO?).
That just doesn't work, it would be very bad sci-fi, I'll elaborate on that later.

But because the dish can only scan a small area of the sky, the neutrino detectors tell the computers where to look.
So, the tanks determine the approximate position of the UFO in the sky, and the dish pinpoints the moving UFO and tracks it. Nice

So, the tanks determine the approximate position of the UFO in the sky, and the dish pinpoints the moving UFO and tracks it. Nice

You can say that again. I was thinking of a solution to this but it looks like we have our answer. Sweet deal! :)

- Zombie

You can say that again. I was thinking of a solution to this but it looks like we have our answer. Sweet deal! :)

- Zombie

Indeed. The dish can only check a tiny portion of the sky. The tanks work 24/7, "looking" 360o, but "due to triangulation blah blah", they can't offer the exact position.

Now, something else... The smal radar is supposed to have ~10(15?)% chance of detecting an UFO per some minutes. Normally, this should be ~100%, because our tank seems to be very efficient.

Or, due to the tiny volume occupied, it's a bit more difficult to catch neutrinos... But eventually, some will enter. So, they will be caught...

In addition, it isn't very probable that they will enter at the same time! So, if we detect one now and another in 3 minutes, triangulation won't give us the right answer, because the UFO will have moved further.

Then, the dish does a "fast scan" and locates the UFO. From that point, it is pinpointed and followed, until lost...

Problem: What happens when there are 2, 3, or even 4(!) UFOs in the globe? Fast-switching between those targets (something like a hard disk does: Read and Write both at the same time in our time-frame, but when looking at a ms scale, it isn't really that way ;) ). But, how fast would that be? In addition, in a base assault you probably will never see the dish moving...

Possible solution: It takes the dish ~2 seconds to change target. That way, if a UFO moves at 2Km per second, by the time the dish returns to it, the UFO could be 10km away... I guess the dish can easily check that far... Anyone of you with experience in such systems?.......

Possible solution/feature: Whenever there are more that 2 UFOs, on the globe, you can see the firstl moving peacefully and the other wiggling inside a small circle (non-visible one). Some seconds later (game-time), the opposite! The wiggling UFO may even make a small "jump" on the globe, because it steered before we could track it.

In case UFOs aren't that fast (or even faster), this could be an accepted error. Anyway, whenever the Interceptor gets there, it will be able to track the UFO (d'uh!)

Edit: Just logging my thoughts, brainstorm style xD. You input?

Edited by kafros

or perhaps they detect the cosmic background radiation "shadow" caused by the UFO?).
That just doesn't work, it would be very bad sci-fi, I'll elaborate on that later.

:huh?:

please do. why shouldn't it be possible to detect something this way? cosmic background radiation is almost evenly distributed and comes at us from all sides. if you look in one direction, and there's a point where no radiation comes from, something must be blocking it, causing a "shadow". where's the problem?

Edited by Moriarty

please do. why shouldn't it be possible to detect something this way? cosmic background radiation is almost evenly distributed and comes at us from all sides. if you look in one direction, and there's a point where no radiation comes from, something must be blocking it, causing a "shadow". where's the problem?

The CMB is highly isotropy, uniform to better than 1 part in 100,000. Any deviations from uniformity are measuring the fluctuations that grew by gravitational instability into galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

Images of the CMB are a full sky image, meaning that it looks like a map of the Earth unfolded from a globe. In this case, the globe is the celestial sphere and we are looking at a flat map of the sphere.

In addition, the latest visualization of the Cosmic Microwave Background was created by satellite observation. I mean that they used a satellite. The original CMB map was created by "from-the-surface" observations, and it totally sucks. So, X-Corps can't have such a fine technology which will easily detect in no time the TINY flactuations a UFO would produce. Scientists have been collecting data and cleaning it up for MONTHS, so no crappy machinery can do the same process automatically in every 15 minutes or so.

It is just overwhelming.

But, the main point of your idea ("shadow") is very interesting, and actually gave me an idea... UFOs could be perfect black bodies. The wikipedian entry on this matter isn't perfect, but at least gives you a nice idea of the concept.

1)If UFOs have a surface temperature lower than ~500 degrees Celcius (they have means of lowering atmospheric friction and drag), then they would absorb most (if not all) wavelengths. That way, the only means of detecting UFOs is by detecting/manipulating any particle except from photons.

2)Or, have it the other way: UFOs are moving very fast, so due to extreme friction with the air, their surface temperature is very high, so they emmit some radiation. We will have to choose the peak in that wavelength spectrum (in CMB it's ofcourse Microwaves, in our case it could be X-Rays or something else), and that small "peak-band" will be exploited by the Neudar Dish.

Edited by kafros

The problem is, that in theory you are right, but in fact cosmic radiation is not LASER like focused, but spreads. So if a relatively tiny object like an UFO blocks some radiation in let's say 10000 ft height, the disturbance wouldn't be bigger than a pinhead. And I'm talking of the pins with the small heads... :)

Nice point :). Nevertheless, there are a lot other sources that could "block" that kind of radiation, but that doesn't happen.

So, before I prepare the next draft, I would like to listen to your final opinion on the matter.

Nice point :). Nevertheless, there are a lot other sources that could "block" that kind of radiation, but that doesn't happen.

So, before I prepare the next draft, I would like to listen to your final opinion on the matter.

I think you should go with radar detection. As for the wobbling... let's keep that for v1+ maybe.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I gave it a quick look and it seems I have much work to do... I'll leave it for 15+ Sep when I'll be almost free, I'll try to work on other CTs for now

Btw Mad, which ones are highest priority?

Those which are in viewable at the begining of the game should be all perfectly done by the end of October if somehow possible.

• 2 months later...
Those which are in viewable at the begining of the game should be all perfectly done by the end of October if somehow possible.

:rolleyes: ^_^

I'll have to do some research from scratch on this matter, to check for any RL progress

For start I think I'll finish the SR Neudar and then I'll work on the LR one accordingly

• 6 months later...

Ok, This has gone long enough, Kafros, please make this texts TOP priority now.

Edit: at least give me something I can work on, nobody but you now has any idea how to finish this CT graciously

Edited by Mad

Posting the latest draft to make our lives easier, I'll add helpful information at the end of the post. I'll work on this later today

SHORT RANGE NEUDAR FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Short Range NEUDAR

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently depend on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement NEUDAR technology, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and eventually counter the Alien vessels.

"We have neutrino-eye / looking at the sky!"

- Dr. Steven "Rhymester" Rosenberg

Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. We speculate that the reason behind this is the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop effective means to detect them.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of an accurate neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to detect and track Alien vessels.

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. The blueprint provided to X-Corps tactical command features the latest in technical and technological innovation, as it has a compact, cheap, and easily maintainable design and provides us with a powerful and accurate detection component. It consists of two means for UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. The boosted signals are digitally encoded and multiplexed with time stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

The second device also detects the presence of neutrinos. It is a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, codenamed "Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish". When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinction between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300 Km, as triangulation does not produce precise measurements above that range.

As soon as a target is identified as an Alien vessel, the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console's hardware. The console computer processes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, including UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The system's administrator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines, and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the network, as well as improve detection speeds. Additional tanks increase the chances of detecting a neutrino burst and provide additional directional data that can be used for data verification and further triangulation. Unfortunately, due to the close proximity of the individual components, no increase in range can be achieved. Moreover, we were not able to create a system allowing us to analyze data from NEUDARs around the globe due to synchronization errors and overwhelmingly large data packets.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground and based on passive detection methods, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detectrion...detaction... detraction... d'oh!"

- Tongue-tied scientist during Xenocide Technical Briefing

Reference:

SR Neudar

LR Neudar

useful posts:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=143629

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=143705

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=145241 haha silly old times ^_^

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=145444

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=155127 not entirely valid, but has some nice info

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry157225 Many good points in a row

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=157235

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...st&p=157310

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KM3NeT

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13...ark-matter.html

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u75r647x7446v526/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniBooNE

comments:

1.a) The major problem with the neutrino detectors is that RL detectors have a very low detection rate, and are enormous in volume, usually at long depths underground. We have to use 2 rather small tanks and to add insult to injury, we have to use a DISH while underground :D

1.B) A large tank of "detection fluid" below the facility would be much more rational to choose

1.c) So, I had a wild idea... Let's suppose that the tanks are used as the input method for that biiiiig tank below the facility!! Well, why 2 when you can have 1? That's something I'm not sure about :D, maybe X-Corps use 2 different kinds of liquids because the NEUDAR was experimental and they want to check if one is more effective than the other.

2) So, we've got 2 super-duper detection fluids, the UFOs produce neutrinos like crazy, real close to our detectors. That way, the detection rate is high enough to be of value to us. Once they check the presence of a UFO, the dish checks in that specific area in the skyglobe and tracks the UFO. The dish alone would have extremely low chances of catching the agile UFOs.

3) I haven't read the latest draft, but make sure that neutrinos aren't mentioned as radiation. They are particles and should be treated like that.

4) Now that I've read more posts, it seems that most of the issues described in the linked posts are already solved. So, the only problem remaining is "What is that dish detecting?".

5) Neutrinos, antineutrinos, we'll see what fits our needs best.

6) I have to read the Alien Compound CT again. According to the nature of the materials used, we'll choose the nature of the dish accordingly.

7) Concerning the detection liquid, we can use a very dense liquid compound based on the latest RL developments. That should do the trick. Together with the right dish detector, the SR Neudar is ready!

Edited by kafros

comments:

1.a) The major problem with the neutrino detectors is that RL detectors have a very low detection rate, and are enormous in volume, usually at long depths underground. We have to use 2 rather small tanks and to add insult to injury, we have to use a DISH while underground :D

1.B) A large tank of "detection fluid" below the facility would be much more rational to choose

1.c) So, I had a wild idea... Let's suppose that the tanks are used as the input method for that biiiiig tank below the facility!! Well, why 2 when you can have 1? That's something I'm not sure about :D, maybe X-Corps use 2 different kinds of liquids because the NEUDAR was experimental and they want to check if one is more effective than the other.

2) So, we've got 2 super-duper detection fluids, the UFOs produce neutrinos like crazy, real close to our detectors. That way, the detection rate is high enough to be of value to us. Once they check the presence of a UFO, the dish checks in that specific area in the skyglobe and tracks the UFO. The dish alone would have extremely low chances of catching the agile UFOs.

3) I haven't read the latest draft, but make sure that neutrinos aren't mentioned as radiation. They are particles and should be treated like that.

4) Now that I've read more posts, it seems that most of the issues described in the linked posts are already solved. So, the only problem remaining is "What is that dish detecting?".

5) Neutrinos, antineutrinos, we'll see what fits our needs best.

6) I have to read the Alien Compound CT again. According to the nature of the materials used, we'll choose the nature of the dish accordingly.

7) Concerning the detection liquid, we can use a very dense liquid compound based on the latest RL developments. That should do the trick. Together with the right dish detector, the SR Neudar is ready!

I think, we should not change the concept too much anymore. Just let's stick to what we got. Ok, maybe it will not be 100% plausible, but then again, it still is scifi. So I would say, stay with the two tanks, no underground tank, good idea in 2); Let's go with neutrinos, anti neutrinos would be even more difficult to detect, since they might collide with neutrinos prior to hitting the tank. 7) is a good idea, but don't exceed the necessary. Let's get this done. I know this is your baby, but we should now set priority on finishing this.

* You'll see some rephrases to make it sound more... "serious".

* http://ptp.ipap.jp/link?PTP/107/957/ -> We can suppose that our detectors will have more than 8 degrees accuracy, which is very good.

My way of thinking: From the small angle approximation, we can expect that the error in the distance calculation will be small. For example, let's suppose that neutrino triangulation has shown that the UFO is moving on a line approx. 300KM form the detector. Let's suppose that we're off by 2 degrees. 300 * π/90 is aprox. 10.5 KM. If the UFO moves at 2000 KM/h, that's aproximately half a kilometer per second. Together with the 1 in 60 rule, we can safely suppose that the UFO is located in an arc length of 20 kilometers, that is: 300km * θ/180 = 20 -> θ=12 degrees.

Concerning the sweeping speed, check this link for radar speeds. If we presume that the fastests radars scan at 6rpm, that is 360*6 / 60 = 36 degrees per minute. So, no problem with our fast UFOs :)

All these calculations may be wrong (that is, based of faulty logic xD) but I think they're rational. Conclusion: The NEUDAR CAN detect fast moving UFOs, but the further they are located the harder for the dish to pinpoint them and track them. The 10-20% detection percentage seems cool, and we'll simplify things for game mechanics and suppose that it remains the same whatever the distance. Phew...

* The Iridium Dish part has some hardcore sci-fi techno-babble, but it's not a bad read at all. Ok, I won't research it any further :P

* Won't try any further XD, let's see if someone else wants to have a read and tell us his opinion. If no1 comments, give it the finishing touches and let's move to the LR Neudar ;)

The Short Range Neutrino Detection Array is the only reliable UFO detection system we can currently depend on. X-Corps is the first military force to implement NEUDAR technology, and as such, is the only combat force with the ability to effectively detect and eventually counter the Alien vessels.

"We have a neutrino-eye / looking at the sky!"

Records have shown that Alien crafts are capable of evading detection by conventional radars. We speculate that the reason behind this is the very nature of the Alien construction materials and power sources. As a result, when the Alien ship incursions increased in both hostility as well as frequency, it proved vital to develop effective means to detect them.

During a documented UFO sighting in Japan, the Super-Kamiokande neutrino detector recorded an unprecedented increase in neutrino levels. The scientists were amazed to discover that the neutrino source coincided with the position of the Alien sighting. Further research into this phenomenon revealed that other neutrino detectors recorded congruent increases in neutrino detection rates during reported UFO sightings. This immediately triggered a renewed interest in the development of an accurate neutrino detection array, this time specifically designed to detect and track Alien vessels.

The SR-NEUDAR is the harvest of hard research and testing. The blueprint provided to X-Corps tactical command features the latest in technical and technological innovation, as it has a compact, cheap, and easily maintainable design and provides us with a powerful and accurate detection component. It consists of two means for UFO detection: two RICH (Ring Imaging of Cherenkov radiation) sensors and an Iridium dish.

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and transformed into electric signals, which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers. The boosted signals are digitally encoded and multiplexed with time stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections. The light bursts are analyzed and the produced signals are multiplexed with accurate time-stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

"...which pass in low noise transistor amplifiers", it sounds so silly to my ears nowadays xD. The rephrase sounds better to someone who has even basic knowledge of the subject.

The second device also detects the presence of neutrinos. It is a platinum dish covered with iridium oxide, codenamed "Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish". When a neutrino successfully hits the iridium atoms, electric charge is created. The electrons are then multiplied in a chevron micro-channel plate (MCP) and then encoded into electric signals. Finally, signals from both sources are multiplexed and streamed to the central console for further processing.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinction between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300 Km, as triangulation should we stick to triangulation? does not produce precise measurements above that range.

As soon as a target is identified as an Alien vessel, the system automatically marks it to be tracked by the console's hardware. The console computer processes the data in real-time and provides a user-friendly visual output, including UFO positions on the globe map simulation. The system's administrator is able to do operational checks, execute maintenance routines, and change setup parameters through the console.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the network, as well as improve detection speeds. Additional tanks increase the chances of detecting a neutrino burst and provide additional directional data that can be used for data verification and further triangulation. Unfortunately, due to the close proximity of the individual components, no increase in range can be achieved. Moreover, we were not able to create a system allowing us to analyze data from NEUDARs around the globe due to synchronization errors and overwhelmingly large data packets.

Due to the fact that NEUDARs are located underground and based on passive detection methods, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"That many neutrino detectors detected increased rates of neutrino detectrion...detaction... detraction... d'oh!"

Improvements in detector technology:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/1w02787665436mt2/

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v45/i10/p3361_1

Concerning the detection methods, I couldn't find anything specific. I found triangulation mentioned twice, so I presume it's fine (although the tanks are hundreds of kilometers away from each other, but we won't have an issue with NEUDAR as it's designed to work in small distances)

Interesting links.

So now the texts looks like this:

"We have a neutrino-eye / looking at the sky!"

The RICH sensor model used by X-Corps is a real scientific revolution. A spherical tank, which has its interior covered with extremely sensitive Photomultiplier Tubes (PMT), is filled with a thallium doped sodium iodide and gallium solution (NEUDAR gel). As highly charged neutrinos enter the individual tanks, Cherenkov radiation bursts out in light cones, which are detected by the PMTs. The light bursts are analyzed and the produced signals are multiplexed with accurate time-stamps and technical sensor information used to calculate the possibility of wrong detections.

After a precise calibration, the system can guarantee successful distinction between noise, natural and artificial neutrino sources in close range. While there is no maximum range from which neutrinos can be detected, the SR model has an approximate maximum UFO detection range of 300 Km, as triangulation does not produce precise measurements above that range.

I guess that's it. Very impressive work kafros! Go for the large range NEUDAR then! You want to work in here or should I create a new thread?

I guess it would be better to work on the same thread, as you can easily find the interesting posts that way.

It's nice to have the SR finished, good job to the whole team, this one was a tough cookie ^_^

Mad would you like to like to work on the next version of the NEUDAR first? Or, would you like to read it once and tell me the basic points that don't work well and should be worked on? :)

Mad would you like to like to work on the next version of the NEUDAR first? Or, would you like to read it once and tell me the basic points that don't work well and should be worked on? :)

I'm not sure where you are going with this question...? Don't think there are many points that could be entirely wrong. Don't have an idea of the artwork, but I guess we are on the safe side if you just make everything a bit bigger. Bigger tanks allow for more detectors, increase sensitivity; bigger dish allows to spot UFOs on a greater distance, enhanced electronics provide a higher SNR... you name it.

Don't have an idea of the artwork

SR Neudar

LR Neudar

I don't know about the tanks, they seem smaller to my eye xD. In addition, watch the double dish... That was a point we should correct (remember my question? ;))

but I guess we are on the safe side if you just make everything a bit bigger.
As you can see from the artwork above, it's not that simple... At least not so fast :)

Bigger tanks allow for more detectors, increase sensitivity; bigger dish allows to spot UFOs on a greater distance, enhanced electronics provide a higher SNR... you name it.
Why would a bigger dish help? We'll miss neutrinos that pass 20cm further from the smaller dish model? :P

In addition, why don't we apply the better electronics to the SR model? Are they sooo expensive? :O

So, here's the latest corrected draft (spelling errors and wrong characters). I haven't removed or added anything.

In addition, I'll colour some points that we should work on, I'm in a hurry so I can't deeply comment on them right now (or at all). Any comments are greatly appreciated of course, food for thought is always welcome ^_^

LONG RANGE NEUDAR FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Long Range NEUDAR

The Long Range Neutrino Detection Array is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the SR-NEUDAR that has both better detection range and detection rate by using Ultra Sensitive PMTs and an advanced supercomputer. Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR should be built at every base.

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encounter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that many of the false readings were caused by the background radiation. While an algorithm was immediately developed to filter out the noise, there was still enough static to limit the range of the NEUDAR system. In an effort to increase detection range, development of a long-range neutrino detection array was initiated.

Comment: Background radiation... That's where we have another problem, incompatibilities. Remember the range limit explanation in the SR model?

The result of the project, the LR-NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had a faster rate of detection why? :O. However, because the LR-NEUDAR required an extremely long time to setup compared to the SR-NEUDAR, it was deemed policy to firstly build SR-NEUDARs in order to provide new bases with the UFO detection ability while the long-range version is under construction.

The NEUDAR, unlike the Short Range version, consists of only one heavy water tank. However, this tank is twenty percent larger than silly its counterparts in the smaller NEUDAR are. Moreover, it uses a double-layer of extremely sensitive PMTs (PhotoMultiplier Tubes) that enable the large NEUDAR to collect very precise data regarding the neutrinos that it detects. This, combined with the use of the new HELIX III supercomputer and advanced filtering algorithms, provides the Long Range NEUDAR the ability to reduce the effects of background radiation interference, enabling the detection of UFOs outside the range of the Short Range NEUDAR. The processing power of the HELIX III supercomputer, combined with the recently developed Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish? which uses a grand variety of wavelengths to detect and identify targets, also reduces the time required to triangulate a neutrino source, increasing the rate at which these sources can be pinpointed and verified.

Unfortunately, the new sensory tanks are not only much more expensive than the light sensors used in the smaller NEUDAR, but they also have a tendency to burn out. As such, they have to be replaced regularly, resulting in higher maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the Long Range NEUDAR system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the detection of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data which, besides being used for the calculation of the source, is also a source of data verification.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"Neutrino, Tarantino, Babylino... There must be some connection between these! It's the Aliens' work, I'm telling ya!"?

- Sacked Rookie Sam Gordon, during an application test

Bigger tanks allow for more detectors, increase sensitivity; bigger dish allows to spot UFOs on a greater distance, enhanced electronics provide a higher SNR... you name it.
Why would a bigger dish help? We'll miss neutrinos that pass 20cm further from the smaller dish model? :P

In addition, why don't we apply the better electronics to the SR model? Are they sooo expensive? :O

Hm, yes, actually. You see, the area of an ellipse grows (almost) quadratically with it's radius (almost, since there is no "one" radius, you have two: A=pi*ab). So increasing the radius has a quadratic impact on the amount of the detected neutrinos, which in turn will allow you to use the dish in a sweeping mode (when idle) rather than in a "pinpoint"-mode only (when following a UFO), thus explaining the need for two dishes, since with this technique they can essentially double the rpms (not really, but since you have two dishes, you have two sweeps per full 360? turn) and thus double the chances of detecting a UFO.

This requires better electronics that would have no use in the small NEUDAR. Plus it always is a question of funds. The SR NEUDAR does it's job and is "cheap", the LR NEUDAR is the luxury version, costing quite a bunch, so adding a few better electronics is not a big deal.

I don't know about the tanks, they seem smaller to my eye xD. In addition, watch the double dish... That was a point we should correct (remember my question? ;))

If you have problems figuring the tanks bigger, ok, now is your chance to go for an additional underground tank... :) - as for the dish - see above.

Ok, since this is a more or less unchanged draft, I only will comment on contents, rather than on formulations.

The Long Range Neutrino Detection Array is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the SR-NEUDAR that has both better detection range and detection rate by using Ultra Sensitive PMTs and an advanced supercomputer. What's an advanced Supercomputer? Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR should be built at every base.

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encounter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that many of the false readings were caused by the background radiation. While an algorithm was immediately developed to filter out the noise, there was still enough static to limit the range of the NEUDAR system. In an effort to increase detection range, development of a long-range neutrino detection array was initiated.

Comment: Background radiation... That's where we have another problem, incompatibilities. Remember the range limit explanation in the SR model?

That indeed is a problem. I wonder if we can somehow find a plausible explanation why the triangulation works better on the LR... If not, we have to change the SR to have a limited range because of the background, which would definitly be much easier to explain in both cases.

The result of the project, the LR-NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had a faster rate of detection why? :O. Because it has two raotatin gdishes that are used in sweep mode - see above. However, because the LR-NEUDAR required an extremely long time to setup compared to the SR-NEUDAR, it was deemed policy to firstly build SR-NEUDARs in order to provide new bases with the UFO detection ability while the long-range version is under construction. That would be the case because of the necessary excavation for the huge underground tank...

The NEUDAR, unlike the Short Range version, consists of only one heavy water tank. I see two tanks - plus the invisible underground tank... ;) However, this tank is twenty percent larger than silly its counterparts in the smaller NEUDAR are. Moreover, it uses a double-layer how would that help? Doesn't the first layer already block the light to the second layer? of extremely sensitive PMTs (PhotoMultiplier Tubes) that enable the large NEUDAR to collect very precise data regarding the neutrinos that it detects. This, combined with the use of the new HELIX III supercomputer and advanced filtering algorithms, provides the Long Range NEUDAR the ability to reduce the effects of background radiation interference, enabling the detection of UFOs outside the range of the Short Range NEUDAR. The processing power of the HELIX III supercomputer, combined with the recently developed Eagle-Eye Sensory Dish? which uses a grand variety of wavelengths what wavelenghts? to detect and identify targets, also reduces the time required to triangulate a neutrino source, increasing the rate at which these sources can be pinpointed and verified.

Unfortunately, the new sensory tanks are not only much more expensive than the light sensors used in the smaller NEUDAR, but they also have a tendency to burn out. As such, they have to be replaced regularly, resulting in higher maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the Long Range NEUDAR system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.

The construction of additional NEUDARs can increase the sensitivity of the entire NEUDAR network as a whole as well as speed up the detection of the source. This is because the addition of tanks not only increases the chances of detecting a neutrino burst, but also provides additional directional data which, besides being used for the calculation of the source, is also a source of data verification.

Because NEUDARs are located underground and are based on passive detection, they prove to be undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. A design for large NEUDARs has been completed recently and has both improved detection rates as well as increased detection range.

"Neutrino, Tarantino, Babylino... There must be some connection between these! It's the Aliens' work, I'm telling ya!"?

Student strikes ftw, some more time for me between university projects xD

Nevertheless, free time tightens significantly, so I'll save my power for NSIS scripting

edit: btw, seraphim didn't even bother to say goodbye ^_^. This time they stole the whole cookie pack, lamers :P

The Long Range Neutrino Detection Array is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the SR-NEUDAR that has both better detection range and detection rate by using improved PMTs and a better supercomputer. Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR should be built at every base.

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encounter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that all the false readings were the product of wrong calibration and the unit's sensitivity. While an algorithm was immediately developed to filter out the noise, there was still a limit in detection range due to triangulation errors. In an effort to increase detection range, development of a long-range neutrino detection array was initiated.

The Long Range model, except to the two tanks of the short version, has an additional 2m underground tank. This permits faster discovery of new UFOs and more precise detection of their location. Once detected, the new "Eagle-Eyes Sensory Dishes" double-dish unit sweeps the horizon at 10rpm to constantly track the detected vessel. These, combined with HELIX III supercomputer's processing power, provide the LR-NEUDAR the ability to detect UFOs outside the range of the SR prototype. Unfortunately, the new dish model and the larger volume of needed NEUDAR-gel greatly increase the initial and maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.

The result of the project, the LR-NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had a faster rate of detection, as a second dish could be supported by the computer unit. However, because the LR-NEUDAR required an longer time to setup compared to the SR-NEUDAR, it was deemed policy to firstly build SR-NEUDARs in order to provide new bases with the UFO detection ability while the long-range version is under construction. Just like the SR model, this unit is based on passive detection and therefore is undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease. (Moved the 3rd paragraph here, works much better)

"Neutrino, Tarantino, Babylino... There must be some connection between these! It's the Aliens' work, I'm telling ya!!"

Edited by kafros

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay, I kind of had my hands full. How is the NSIS coming? would be nice to have a cleaned up version of the installer, I'm getting more complains about the Windows installer / .net issue every day.

The Long Range Neutrino Detection Array is a recently developed larger and more advanced version of the SR-NEUDAR that has both better detection range and detection rate by using improved PMTs and a better (better sounds a bit too obvious. Maybe "advanced"? or "a doubled/ trippled / whatever number of nodes...) supercomputer. Multiple NEUDARs can improve the detection rate of UFOs that are within range. We recommend that at least one Long Range NEUDAR should be built at every base.

When the prototype NEUDAR system was first activated, it immediately detected dozens of UFOs in the surrounding areas. However, scrambled fighters from nearby airbases did not encounter any unidentified crafts at any of the reported locations. Upon investigation, it was discovered that all the false readings were the product of wrong calibration and the unit's sensitivity. While an algorithm was immediately developed to filter out the noise, there was still a limit in detection range due to triangulation errors. In an effort to increase detection range, development of a long-range neutrino detection array was initiated.

The Long Range model, except to the two tanks of the short version, has an additional 2m (? 2m what? deep, wide 2sqm 2 cubic meters, mark 2...?) underground tank. This permits faster (does it? probability is increased, but faster?) discovery of new UFOs and more precise detection of their location. Once detected, the new "Eagle-Eyes Sensory Dishes" double-dish unit sweeps the horizon at 10rpm to constantly track the detected vessel (if it sweeps, it's not tracking). These, combined with the? HELIX III supercomputer's processing power, provide the LR-NEUDAR the ability to detect UFOs outside the range of the SR prototype. Maybe go a bit into the triangulaion, since you clearly described it as the prime reason for the limited range of the SR. Unfortunately, the new dish model and the larger volume of needed NEUDAR-gel greatly increase the initial and maintenance costs. The use of a HELIX III supercomputer also adds considerably to the expense of the system. Nevertheless, the detection rates and range of the larger system means that it is well worth the extra cost and time required to build it.[/color]

The result of the project, the LR-NEUDAR, not only fulfilled the requirement of better detection range, but also had a faster rate of detection, as a second dish could be supported by the computer unit. However, because the LR-NEUDAR required an longer time to setup compared to the SR-NEUDAR, it was deemed policy to firstly build SR-NEUDARs in order to provide new bases with the UFO detection ability while the long-range version is under construction. Just like the SR model, this unit is based on passive detection and therefore is undetectable to external sources. This is a valuable asset, as it will prevent the Alien invaders from locating our bases with ease.

"Neutrino, Tarantino, Babylino... There must be some connection between these! It's the Aliens' work, I'm telling ya!!"