XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tftd Alternative Soundtracks

MannPower

As a general thing, I like to find other music that 'fits' the mood of a game to play while I'm in a session, just to see what matches up nicely and what doesn't... Sort of like a video game 'Dark Side of the Moon' thing.

At any rate, I found that the BioShock soundtrack (the one you can download for free from 2K's BioShock site) works extremely well with Terror From The Deep. The themes are so close together (underwater horror) that it almost acts as a replacement for the original midi music.

Give it a try!

Anyone else have other music combinations that are cool?

Um, Ultima 7 and 7.5's Sea Shanty? The very definition of a horror nautical theme!

*ducks*

One song I've been mentioning for years is Metallica's Call of Ktulu. Quite a good song to play during a terror site, plus the Ktulu refers to Cthulu, which in turn is what TFTD's Great Sleeper is aspiring to be. I haven't got the original, but a Mod version fills the gap just nicely.

They don't fit TFTD's nautical horror theme, but I also quite like a couple of tracks from the very first Unreal. I can't remember their actual titles, but they go under the filenames Digsh, Found99 and Journey. These usually feature in my custom playing-other-games song playlist that includes songs from other titles like Crusader: No Regret/Remorse, Command Adventures Starship, some Final Fantasy I through VII tunes, etc.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Heh, your first 'suggestion' is forgiven on that grounds that it was an Ultima 7 reference, which is always OK.

Speaking of Unreal, a few select tracks from Deus Ex work pretty well for UFO Defense. Not so much TFTD, though. As for Cthulhu, the entire original midi soundtrack is pretty much an homage to old fashioned horror movies, which are - withen themselves - Lovecraft inspired.

Admittedly, I haven't tried anything other than BioShock's soundtrack for TFTD. I'll have to just make an enormous play-list and see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by MannPower

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...