XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Your Best Gun?

Heat

My best gun by far is definitely the disruptor launcher, i cannot imagine playing against the stronger aliens without it. Lobstermen, n aliens wif MC would be impossible to deal wif without the disruptor.

Often i land in a mission my guys would start getting f*cking MC-ed in the 2nd or 3rd round so i always have to bring 2-3 guys with disruptor launchers n start blowing up holes in the structures n then blow the sh*t outta the aliens b4 they starting MC-ing all my men LOL. Awesome n fun weapon it is!

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Heat' date='Sep 22 2003, 11:59 AM']My best gun by far is definitely the disruptor launcher, i cannot imagine playing against the stronger aliens without it. Lobstermen, n aliens wif MC would be impossible to deal wif without the disruptor.

Often i land in a mission my guys would start getting f*cking MC-ed in the 2nd or 3rd round so i always have to bring 2-3 guys with disruptor launchers n start blowing up holes in the structures n then blow the sh*t outta the aliens b4 they starting MC-ing all my men LOL. Awesome n fun weapon it is![/quote]
aha i see we are the same :D
fav is disruptor launcher too

what i like with this gun are the bases. i attack alien bases lvl1 with disruptor launcher, blow up the area and watch all of them panic one after the other :hammer: then lvl 2 chnage up weapons
at missions i prefere combat with regular guns. so i go with sonic cannons with hvy thermic lance on Close Combat :beer:
yes MC is hard but.. its war ^_^ Edited by Mark0

• 4 weeks later...
My best gun? Most likely the Heavy Gauss with Xcomutil's enhancements. W/O xcomutil, the Sonic Cannon has to take the cake.

Best overall weapon would probably be the thermic lance. It has nice damage, yet it doesn't take too many tus to use! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The only problem with the torpedo is that it destroys all the good stuff that you can package up and sell.

High TU and heavy thermic lance all the way. Four soldiers -- three with high MC, one with high TU and you have yourself a nice little butchership.

I hate the darn stun gun though -- stupid game thinks its better and gives it to troops as their only weapon. Not what I want! I don't run a hotel for lost and lonely aliens!

Gauss pistols are great against low armour aliens, like aquatoids, gill-men and deep-ones. Heck, you can even kill a tasoth with it if you can fire it point-blank. It's also a good weapon to arm your MC-susceptible soldiers with in the event that they get MC'd.

I like all sorts of weapons, so it's hard to say which one is better. So I'll go by category.

Of the sonic weapons, I prefer the pistol. It's better than the original Heavy Gauss (except the HG has better aimed accuracy), does 15 less points than the blasta (no big deal, really), is very fast for a sonic weapon - so you can run about a lot and still get off a shot or two. The sonic cannon, of course, I reserve for for dealing with heavy armour (lobstermen) and for when you absolutely need precision shots. It's the better of the three sonic weapons, I agree.

Of gauss weapons, the pistol is my favourite. Speed and sheer amount of dirt cheap (yes, cheap) ammo you can spit out in a turn is what makes me like it. Granted, it's useless against most terror units and lobstermen, but that's why you must never use them by themselves! :) They're wonderful short range weapons. They are very impractical at long ranges however.
The G. rifle's decent enough. I bring them along to compliment the pistols.

Of the drills, my favourite is the vibroblade. Why? Well, it's twice as fast as the HTL, so you can run about the map and poke holes in lots of things very easily (see a pattern here? :) ). However, it doesn't do the best damage, as it has to deduct armour twice when you spend the same amount of TUs on it as you would for the HTL, which only has to deduct armour once. But against lobstermen, one hit severly cripples it, the last one almost always kills it - if not, it stuns it. I reserve the HTL for the stronger soldiers, and for dealing with terror units with really heavy external armour (like xarquids and hallucinoids).

Of the launchers, I must say the DPL is my favourite precisely because it doesn't work on land. :)
But for combat use, I prefer the thermal shok launchers. Super powerful stuff the shok bombs are... knocks EVERYTHING out except the great sleeper's cryovat/batteries and your SWS units. More importantly, its the only launcher that works properly on land.

For standard weaponry, the Gas Cannon is my absolute favorite. With HE shells, it kills everything but lobstermen easily (yes, even Tasoth are no match against it). If you can score multiple hits, you can actually kill a superhuman lobsterman. The GC also works on land, whereas the more practical hydrojet cannon does not unless you resort to reaction fire (which is very difficult to pull off in TFTD with such a slow weapon). It's also the only method of directly applying incendiaries on land (phosphor rounds are many times more effective on land than they are underwater - love setting fire to alien sniper locations). This choice may be a bit unusual, since my preference generally leans towards the single-handed, fast firing weapons. I don't know, I just like this weapon. It's so versatile.

As for grenades - it's a no brainer. Sonic pulsers. Yay.

My favourite MC tool is the M. C reader. It doesn't imbalance the game as much as the M.C Disrupter does, and it complements the drills very well - though I concede that the disrupter is the more useful tool of the two. At least the reader does not require M.C skill.

If the above list doesn't mark me as a lunatic, I don't know what will. :)

- NKF Edited by NKF

• 1 year later...
Sonic Cannon is my favourite. Heavy Thermic Lance is cool too... especially against Lobstermen. However nothing is better then a few soldiers with well developed psi abilities. Every mission becomes easy when you have them :) Edited by Przemek

Well, i like thermic lance
sonic rifle(its cool looking)
gauss cannon(also cool looking but also excellent with sniping, especially with xcomutil)
sonic cannon(powerful and accurate)
harpoon gun(what can be more fun than shooting enemies with harpoons? I only wish xcom 2 was a bit bloodier and messier)
Gas Cannon is also a good weapons
i must also say sonic grenades and maybe DPL

All these weapons in TFTD look like water guns... :)
I like sonic rifle, because it is the middle one - not too light, not to heavy.
I like gauss rifle, because it is the middle one - not too light, not to heavy.
I like all grenades, and rocket launchers - I am a pyromaniac!!!
I like medi-pacs - they shorten the recovery time.
I hate particle disturbance sensor - it only senses my soldiers, not aliens!!!
I like vibroblades - thermic lances don't look like able to spin, do they?
Spin, spin, spin, spin...
And dart-gun - you equip your soldier with it and even if he doesn't cause any damage - you fell safe inside :NyaNyaNya:
Thermal shock launcher - which side is the front? :hmmm:

I like the sonic pistol, basically because right now it's saving my butt. Though it's not terribly powerful, it has the advantage that you can pack in quite a bit of movement with whatever shot you decide to take. When you have several soldiers packing it, they can quickly pose a threat to aliens with much nastier weaponry, simply because in most cases the aliens have to choose between firing or moving, not both.

The gauss rifle comes in handy in the early game and if you're sniping from shadows, it has more accuracy than the sonic pistol. I guess that on higher difficulty levels though it becomes less useful. I find it useful to also pack a melee weapon for close-up punch, in the cramped quarters of an alien ship that is ideal. Edited by Selmak

• 1 year later...

MC disruptor, definitely. With some trained soldiers it's big fun. Imagine how come a tasoth feels when his own partners start butchering them from behind. Wicked.

Also you can gather some 10 aliens together, leave one apart wathcing and get a disruptor inferno. Then you take out the last alien with the peashooter slowly. You keep MCing it to see how his morale and health drops on each turn ROFL

HTH are fun, slicing lobs is as easy as chopping your dinner in the kitchen. I can't afford live lobster meals in real life.

The peashooter (dartgun) is good, no more elbow/wrist injuries when going with your friends to the pub.

• 2 years later...
My best gun by far is definitely the disruptor launcher, i cannot imagine playing against the stronger aliens without it. Lobstermen, n aliens wif MC would be impossible to deal wif without the disruptor.

EH, *cheesy spoiler*

the best "gun" is always situation dependent...

my early tactics are as follows

assume triton lander

1 SWS - great scout & versus the earliest aliens they can take some punishment

6 Riflemen - probably will use gas cannon next time around based on popular opinion

4 grenaders - prime them up on turn 1 & keep them half a turn behind your rifles (so if they die they don't screw the whole team)

as the tank sweeps the map, the riflemen will take down most threats, if they cannot, lob a grenade in there.

late game tactics follow the same premise

assume leviathan lander 26 - 8 = 18

2 Sonic SWS - floating scouts with awesome armor, quickly sweep the map of all hidden spots

2-4 DPL (grenaders) - these guys never move more than 1/2 a turn away from the lander, they spread out a few squares from each other & sit all game

14-16 Riflemen - Mag. Ion. Armor, these guys for me are typically floating on level 4, until it's time to raid the sub / colony.

They only thing the riflemen have in their hands is a sonic cannon in my opinion. Period.

When the "raid" begins, they all look in their backpack & find their drill of choice, Heavy Thermic Lance.

Now they've got a Son. Can. / HTL in each hand for close quarter combat, the cannon is just there in case it is too dangerous to close in on an enemy.

My equipment list for my leviathan is as follows :

16 Sonic Cannon

16 Sonic Clip 32

16 Heavy Thermic Lance 48

2 Sonic SWS 50

5 Medkit 55

10 Flares 65 (day or night)

3 DPL auncher 68

12 DPL ammo 80

the reason i leave the flares onboard at all times, is sometimes i think a mission will be day & it's pitch black

on the rare occasions i've removed the flares, invariably i forget to put them back next time... always.

nothing sucks more than not being able to see the end of the rifle in your hands, & hearing sonic blasts fly all around, but no idea where it came from :(

PS LOL off topic, saw a fire burning underwater last mission... ROFL, seriously who programmed that??? lmao

PPS as i side note, on a colony raid, i would strongly consider sending a smaller amount of troops & taking in some Thermal shock launchers... they are flippin amazing on lobbies, & if all else fails & your troop cannot hope to escape death??? thermal shock yourself to sleep & they'll ignore you, take a nap & sleep it off until your buddies come to rescue you :P

Edited by Tiruas