XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Most Hated Alien

Guest eksk

Which alien do you hate most?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is true Biodrones are pure and simple evil, even worse than cyberdisks since they squeeze in thight doors...
You gotta be carefull on where you shoot the bastads Biodrones, but sometimes if you hit them hard enough they won't explode... sometimes... :explode:

Then again, at least they don't REPRODUCE like the dreaded tentaculats... We are SO lucky those can't show up on terror sites... However, they do to love the dark corners of alien bases... Purest evil there is, I'm telling ya...

• 3 weeks later...
Nowhere near as strong? Have you ever compared their stats?

On higher difficulty levels, biodrones cannot miss with their snapshots. At least cyberdiscs are a little more lenient in that respect. And the reactions! Biodrones just aren't playing fair. High reactions + high accuracy + a sonic weapon is a lethal combination if you aren't wearing ion armour.

Also, cyberdiscs are easier to hit because they have a much larger surface. They also take just that much more from area effect weapons.

The only thing wrong with the biodrone is that it leaves a burnt trail wherever it goes. Kind of gives itself away if it moves across an area you've already explored. Silly biodrones. This ability however does destroy lifts.

You could say they're just that tiny bit more evil than the cyberdiscs.

- NKF Edited by NKF

Hmmm... I hate... Tentaculats. There's nothing more annoying than losing two of your best men (they were here from the start... though all my men/women were!) die to ONE tentaculat just because it went back to where it was hiding.

Biodrones are a pain in the donkey for shipping missions, but honestly, when your men can drop one in one shot and take the damage without flinching, no need to worry.

Admittedly, the armour values were 500-1000-2500-5000 for the respective armour levels ("skin", plastic, ion, mag-ion) but hey, I was fed up with those ****ing aliens beating me. So I beat them back.

If it moves, I shoot it. Apart from civvies. If it's in a diving suit that isn't blue, it's an enemy. Or grey clothes. Or really skimpy clothes. (I tell my 'nauts to stop drooling)

Most hated terrain?

Cargo Ship lower deck. Those are a pain in the donkey to clear out. You never know when an alien could be hiding in a crate.

Most stupid thing?

The fact your men take their helmets off when going on land. Hello? HELMET = PROTECTION. ¬_¬

Funniest thing?

Tasoth are supposed to have infinite morale and never panic. So how come I see "Tasoth Squad Leader Has Panicked" sometimes?

Best tip?

There's always at least four Tentaculats camping above the room which has the lift leading to the Synonium Device. There are 8 alcoves in the room, on the 3rd or 2nd floors. Tentaculats hide in them. Shoot them before they can leave them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Toss-up between Tentaculats and Lobstermen.

To this day, I still particularly enjoy eating Lobster because of TFTD.

And as much as I hate dealing with Tentaculats, I also respect 'em, and they look kind of cool.

Not like dinner platters that are too big for their britches.

Yeah...Lobstermen = HATE.

• 3 weeks later...
Tasoth, its the one alien that I hate, I loath the Tasoth.

He comes with his Tentaculats, and Bio Drones, comes with insane Psi, he is at least one of the foot soldiers of the aliens that can withstand a Sonic Cannon shot, argh they make me so angry. Tentaculats can be killed with a well placed Cannon shot but Tasoths just shrug off the blow, react and your aquanaut is sleeping with the fishes, but thats not all, after that turn "John Schmo is now under Molecular Control" *Bang Bang Bang* *Aghhh!* :( Edited by Chmmr

• 1 year later...

I would have to say lobsterman for one very simple reason:

Ammo

When I have MC it's no problem, i can draw them to me and kill them with vibroblade, up till then their a struggle, espacilly if you thrown away your inferior weaponary (ie: harpoons) and relied solely on sonic cannon. Their the only race that forces me to use the hit and run tactic and at the end of the mission I'm forced to use zarbite to make new cannon rounds.

Lobstermen are a pain on terror missions for you had to kill aliens asap to save civillians and lobstermen take quite a while longer to die.

Tentacults aren't so bad, it's a matter of drawing them out and killing them with your weapons. Why I hated the chryssids so much in the first Xcom was becaus they were on terror missions and could turn the whole population against you. If the Tentaculats were in terror missions then i would fear them more.

The Bio drone I don't bother shooting at sight, I place some bombs nearby and blow up some space to shoot afterwards. Though I did learn the hard way of their blast range.

Triscenes (aka, when Barney goes evil) are nasty, unlike hullacnids and deep ones I'm not too worried about range but this thing is both tough, intimidating and can fire long.

Because of the way lobstermen are set up, what with their ridiculously powerful damage modifiers, they almost always needs 2 - 3 sonic cannon hits. There's almost no such thing as a one-hit lobsterman takedown with the sonic cannon. The sonic blasta rifle and sonic pistol take anywhere between 5 - 6 hits, making these otherwise great weapons somewhat impractical.

Thermal shok bombs and DPLs on the other hand... They're far too expensive to manufacture but they're brilliant anti-lobsterman weapons. They did a interesting job of game balancing there, I guess. Until you start harvesting them of colonies or somesuch.

- NKF

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i reserve a special spot in my heart for biodrones...

my GOD these things are annoying, if you've ever had 3 or 4 floating (with nowhere near to plant explosives on them)

nearby, you'll know what a true "terror" these units can be...

not to mention if you DO plan on trying to melee them, you cannot tell which direction they are facing, therefore, you might try to charge right up to his face...

not going to happen.

and their accuracy is INSANE, i had a dude crouched, in between to crates, basically firing through a arrow slit window (off old castle walls)

it hits this drone, who returns fire perfectly and kills the dude... ridiculous!!!

also their reactions are just off the charts, with perfect accuracy, i hate them

Bio-Drones aren't too bad on beginner as their FA is only 36%. But for each skill level you go up, the Bio-Drone will gain approximately 30 points more. On Veteran, they are already 100% accurate and on Superhuman it's a whopping 146%. OMFG A Bio-Drone's Reactions are nothing to write home about though: on Superhuman its only 54.

I had trouble deciding what alien I'd vote for in this topic. The Bio-Drone is tough and so is the Tentaculat for obvious reasons. Triscenes are tough creatures as well. In the end though, I voted for the Lobster Man due to the damage modifiers. ^_^

- Zombie

Triscene are pretty tough, but their under-armour is a little disappointing. Was rather surprised when I first wiped one out easily with a GC-HE and later a Magna Blast (this being well into the game where Gauss and Sonic was a mainstay).

Bio Drones, can be thought of as Cyberdisc Lite™, without the 4 tile area-effect disadvantage. Their snapshot accuracy on superhuman is to die for - in both meanings of the word. One rough way to guess which way they are facing is to just base it on the burn marks on the ground. It's not a perfect solution as they can turn in place, but it's a reasonable enough guess.

It's a pity that the MC. Reader has such silly and steep requirements in this game, but it's a great way to gauge the remaining TUs to determine whether or not it's safe to approach a Bio Drone. Not sure why they made it so hard to get. Ah well.

- NKF

• 2 months later...

Has to be the lobsterman! maybe on lower difficulty levels they become more managable, but I only play on hardest ;-)

BioDrone is a fearsome opponent, but there are only a few of them at most, and they can be taken down with 2 shots on average. Plus, when your MC gets high enough, they make great pets :D they're my pick for second hardest opponent.

Triscene, is tough to shoot at, but doesn't seem to do much but stand around. Very easily killed by grenades too.

Tasoth is a hard but not unfairly hard opponent, actually the balance is just perfect IMO.

Tentaculat, are only encountered on certain missions, and while 'scary' can be planned for and die in 1-2 hits. Tanks are also immune to them.

Lobstermen on the other hand, are total BS :cussing: there's a full squad's worth of them unlike drones, tenticles, or triscene, they have huge TU's, good accuracy, and HtH attack. Their armour is IMMENSE, it takes endless bullseye shots to take one down (and then there's a more than 50% chance it is only KO'd, clogging up your containment with 'lobsterman soldiers') guaranteeing mass casualties if you try to shoot out with them. They're also the only alien to easily survive PWT hits and shrug off explosives. The only 'sure' way is H2H, but that's not safe either, unless you have a squad of great MC'ers to take over and 'neutralise' the Lobsters while your squad can get close enough. For that reason, I avoid them until I have strong MC. Even then, I avoid them because it's just not worth the time :P. Lobsterman Boat Terror missions = instant bail out as well.

my pick for #3 hardest is actually the Xarquid, it's dangerous to men and tanks alike since it can survive hits and has an auto-shot ability (? i think) which can be annoying on the 'rebound'. It also moves about and is more agressive than the Triscene.

Edited by xtro