XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Battle Tactics And Tips

Hobbes

Tell You what guys... I played against a guy with all Heavy Cannons. It's easy to take enough ammo for the whole game (3-4 sets) and like 12 Heavy Cannons.

I had one conclusion: didn't know what to do :/

It was His 2nd game and He won it quite easily, after that He lost against Hobbes (AFAIR), I'd like to hear how did the game look like. Hobbes?

Besides, I realised that the more I play the weaker I am, that's why I don't play anymore :D

Edited by dzi

Keeping initiative is the key to win and that is why it is so hard to defeat an opponent by only playing defensive (you have to react to his attacks, like nachtwolf described).

To defeat 12 HCs you need a lot of cold blood. HCs can really ruin your day if you are behind cover since a near miss will hit the cover and injure your soldiers. The trick is to deny him a target to fire (usually by deploying smoke to block his view), to keep your soldiers away from any cover (to prevent near misses from injurying your soldiers) and to advance as close as you can before you take out the HCs. The HC is great for long range shooting but it is terrible for close quarters fighting. It is also easy for it to completely miss a target in the open and if it fires 3 shots in a single turn then the gunner won't have any TUs left to move.

Hmmm....I think i am going to create an all HC team...

I tend to prefer autocannons over heavy cannons for destruction because AC can fire more rounds. And since both shouldn't be used on short range anyway you can equip a desert eagle for that. :)

And accuracy isn't a biggie if you're simply interested in leveling all your opponent's cover. :)

Edited by Citral

I tend to prefer autocannons over heavy cannons for destruction because AC can fire more rounds. And since both shouldn't be used on short range anyway you can equip a desert eagle for that. :)

And accuracy isn't a biggie if you're simply interested in leveling all your opponent's cover. :)

Ehehehe. Levelling their cover? My favourite! :devillaugh:

Keeping initiative is the key to win and that is why it is so hard to defeat an opponent by only playing defensive (you have to react to his attacks, like nachtwolf described).

To defeat 12 HCs you need a lot of cold blood. HCs can really ruin your day if you are behind cover since a near miss will hit the cover and injure your soldiers. The trick is to deny him a target to fire (usually by deploying smoke to block his view), to keep your soldiers away from any cover (to prevent near misses from injurying your soldiers) and to advance as close as you can before you take out the HCs. The HC is great for long range shooting but it is terrible for close quarters fighting. It is also easy for it to completely miss a target in the open and if it fires 3 shots in a single turn then the gunner won't have any TUs left to move.

Hmmm....I think i am going to create an all HC team...

What map were You playing at? I was playing in city and it was definitelly an offensive play. I tried to move as far as possible from any walls and objects but it wasn't easy. I got with like 3 soldiers up that close to see His first line soldiers because He was moving few of them too. So when He saw me He just had to hit me while having like over 30 shots. Anyway, I didn't menaget to get to Him up that close to make a sensible attack. I used only plasmas BTW, no heavy weapons at all.

So basicaly, I didn't think that fighting agains such tactic is so hard, taught it's going to be easier.

If it's the game I am thinking of it was City, 5x5 but with a lot of buildings. I moved first but I refrained from shooting (to prevent him from knowing where my units where). The buildings really made things harder for him because he lost all of his scouts on my second turn and afterwards he had a lot of problems concentrating his fire.

• 4 weeks later...

If you like leveling terrain and having only AC for all of your men, but afraid of running out of ammo...then look no further. Have a combination of a plasma pistol and an AC. 25 strength is all that is required (if you don't carry anything extra like extra clips, grenades, etc.). Simply have your man have 80 accuracy, 70 reactions so when you smog the whole area, you will be able to blow away your opponent when they come through the smoke. Or if they are close by, you simply wipe them out (especially when their whole team is close together and you can spot most of them). Then simlply smog the area with some men in the back after you get as much men as possible. If some of your men have timed units leftover, then try to smog those men first for reaction fire.

"What if I run out of AC ammo?" - Simple, drop your AC and take the enemy's weapons (try for a plasma rifle for sniping, but if you find a loaded rocket launcher...put it to good use B) ).

"What if I run out of plasma pistol ammo?" - You got to be kidding me if you ask this question...when you have a whole squad with the AC and plasma pistol combo without extra clips, you just drop your plasma pistol and take your own dead men's plasma pistol (enemy works too). Try not to do auto shot all the time, wasting ammo.

"Why is he still alive after i shot him (power suit or flying suit) several times with a plasma pistol?" - First, think about this...when you shoot a guy in the front side...you damaged his front armor (not his side or back armor). He may have high health to keep him alive enough to change to his side armor for protection (this works really good against bullet weapons)

Any comments, or confused please post...I will clarify any misunderstandings. :)

• 2 months later...

I found that the fire AC I use to clear cover is no use for killing things except for autoshot at close range. - Unless maybe one final snap shot at an already weak target.

What's the advantage of HE over IN ammo btw? Better splash damage?

And how much damage does the fire do to soldiers walking through? Is that armour dependant? It seems really harmless, even to T-Shirts.

About an earlier Question - To make pictures in any format simply do this:

Press "print screen"

Alt+Tab to any graphics program (eg Paintshop)

Paste

Save as format X

Edited by Violazr

I found that the fire AC I use to clear cover is no use for killing things except for autoshot at close range. - Unless maybe one final snap shot at an already weak target.

What's the advantage of HE over IN ammo btw? Better splash damage?

And how much damage does the fire do to soldiers walking through? Is that armour dependant? It seems really harmless, even to T-Shirts.

In my perspective, this is what AC use is for:

- short range for AP ammo

- clearing walls for IN and HE

- smogging the area HE (IN too, but seems to be wasteful on cost points)

I use IN for clearing (destroying buildings), smogging, and wiping out units. (mostly clearing and smogging though)

Fire has no affect whatsoever to units atm

Hmm thanks, didn't know that about the fire.

Next time I'll 'hide' my units right in it. ;)

And what's the difference between HE and IN now? Regarding explosive radius, I mean.

Is it easier to kill by near-missing with HE, or is IN just like HE with fire?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm. What's the best way to fight flying suits? I've been sucking bigtime since the introduction of flying suits. They should be double their price imho.

Blow away the buildings they are using for cover/concealment. If a fly suit is left hovering on the open then it is a very nice target (since you're shooting upwards the shots won't hit fences, trash cans, et.c). And keep yourself inside buildings to prevent being spotted by fly suits.

Kratos, that is the one problem with having armor take damage normally instead of the xcom way

In the original Xcom, enemies could take double or triple damage depending on where they are in the fire and if they catch on fire

however, because armor takes damage, the soldiers just take the damage to there armor, and fire never did much damage, so it is useless now where it was useful in xcom