XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Environmental Models

Breunor

Keep up the good work J'ordos They're looking good.

I particularly like the single legged bench, very 'designer' :)

As for the bookshelf Maybe model up a simple 'book' with four or five different coloured textures and then we can populate the bookshelfs and keep it random looking.

not only that but we can probably link them if necessary... though haveing model of a longer version will probably save polys.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jim69

Yeah, I've always liked little touches like that, I say do as many as possible with as few poly's as is poss.

Edit: D'oh, someone always disrupts my msg's by postin b4 me, LOL. I was replyin to Dem btw

Edited by Jim69

Guest Jim69
Alien computer, polycount 112

I don't think u will need those bevelled edges, that could be added 2 the texture since u won't c it close enough to tell.

aight im optimizing them all, leaves me stunning.

the lamppost is now 29 polies, the alien computer is 36 and the powersource is 46.

i've put a kind of illusion effect in the powersource, which makes it look more detailed when viewed from above. there are more faces in the bottom layer then the one above it.

lamppost, 29 polies (yes i made them smaller):

post-29-1058623794_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim69
ufo powersource, 46 polies:

Don't mean 2 be a c.nt but I think that the power source could probably be more poly's if u want, since there's only gonna b 1 of em ever on screen. But if ur happy with it, then it don't matter I guess...

but making it look rounder DRASTICALLY increases the polycount and in supply ships for example there are 3 powersources in one room... (I thought it was that one)

Hey j'ordos, what are you making these in? What prog are you using? I didnt know you did modelling.

using 3dsmax 5

Actually, lets just focus on making items, and not so much on the more/less poly issues right not. If you still have the original models you posted Apoc, could you zip them up for us? Remeber guys, a terror site will have around 20 buildings, and they will likely have at least 1000 polys each. So a UFO with 20K isn't an issue. We can always delete faces and weld polys later if it comes to that. For the books, I'd make a 1 book box, 2 book box, and a 3 book box. That should give enough variety as well as conserve polys when we mix and match.

I suggest the following, maybe it will work: after you've posted a zip, when you add another model, just add it to the zip and just edit the original message, putting the new zip file up. Then when you post the pic of the new item, just say the earlier zip has been updated. That should reduce the number of posts needed. But we can always start another thread if this one hits 500 or something.

Once we have some variety of models, we can put together some sample scenes with several, and perhaps then we can talk about more/less polys if we have to. Otherwise a lot of posts and back and forth chat will slow us down IMO.

Glad to see you back Apoc, I haven't seen many posts by you since I started.

Edit: Regarding polys, just make sure you don't make a 40K poly toilet, polys DO matter some... :D

Edited by Breunor

I have been toying with the books, and just made some boxes (3 sizes, each size 4 colors) to put in there. This way each book takes 6 polygons, each one of the cases in the image below is 226 polygons, so I think, if we want full shelves it won't all be separate books...

Oh and I put it in 4 times in different zoom levels (I know the covers stink, it's just a color -_- ), to see what it would give in different zoom levels in the game.

Bookshelf1test1.jpg

do 3 varient loose books( don't wory about size they can be rescaled to vary them more) and then a block of 1/3 shelf, 1/2 shelf and 2/3 shelf Edited by Vaaish

yes thats the idea. the texture map can be used to split the block into individual books. this gives us the option to have a couple of books lying at angles on the shelf as well as filling up the shelves completely.

Don't mean 2 be a c.nt but I think that the power source could probably be more poly's if u want, since there's only gonna b 1 of em ever on screen. But if ur happy with it, then it don't matter I guess...

ever been on a very large ufo? they have like 12 of those powersources on each level of the ship (left side and right side), so low poly is good :)

as mentioned before, looking at the fact that most of the time you will looking from eagle eye perspective i implemented a polygon trick. that way, it looks rounded from the top while it's actually not rounded whole.

Here's the zip in .3ds format, containing the original and low poly models:

Map_Prefabs.zip

Edited by ApOcaLyPSe_1985

ever been on a very large ufo? they have like 12 of those powersources on each level of the ship (left side and right side)

Are you talking about in UFO Defence? Because I only remeber them having 4 power sources total. Is it different in other versions?

Gold

Just made a simple oil/gas tank. One with ladder and one without, without ladder = 106 polies, with ladder = 330 polies :o Maybe better to texture that ladder ^_^

And I think GG's right, those battleships only had 4 power sources IIRC.

Edit: all my meshes here are available in third post on first page (=my second post in this thread).

oiltank1.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Maybe better to texture that ladder

Just in case you meant painting it on the texture, you should use double sided faces, and texture them with usage of a alpha channel. that will surely make it drop in polycount. nice work btw, looks almost like it's bumpmapped ^_^

Edited by ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Guest Jim69

ever been on a very large ufo? they have like 12 of those powersources on each level of the ship (left side and right side), so low poly is good :)

as mentioned before, looking at the fact that most of the time you will looking from eagle eye perspective i implemented a polygon trick. that way, it looks rounded from the top while it's actually not rounded whole.

Here's the zip in .3ds format, containing the original and low poly models:

Oh yeah, I aint played it in a couple of weeks, been too tired from work. u right, ignore me ramblings then :) U could probably still make it a little more rounded tho coz the big UFO's will take up more space that could have been a house or summint, and in the space of the gen rooms there could be a hellava lot, like beds, bookcases, clothes etc.

Then again, noone may notice so its ur call.

Edit: Which UFO is sposed 2 have 12 on each level again? I've never seen that.

Edited by Jim69

Just made a simple oil/gas tank. One with ladder and one without, without ladder = 106 polies, with ladder = 330 polies :o Maybe better to texture that ladder ^_^

And I think GG's right, those battleships only had 4 power sources IIRC.

Edit: all my meshes here are available in third post on first page (=my second post in this thread).

do the ladder as 2 polys with an alpha map for rungs :)

Regarding the smoothness of models from the bird-eye view, I think we'll be safe either way, as we're seeing the flat-shaded view, not smoothed. So even the lower poly versions will look nice. These items are looking great everyone. I'm downloading what I can, and will upload/link them in a regular fashion. I'm in and out, so it might take a day or two sometimes till they're up however. Edited by Breunor

Also, make sure to export models to 3ds format for now, it's our standard file format.

Thanks,

Breunor

Guest Jim69
Well, if u thought they looked great...then these r gonna be terrible :D LOL, my first 2 attempts at 3DSM, thought I might as well post em anyway. At least the desk could be used, its fairly low poly, but I dunno bout the bin...

post-29-1058665762_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim69

Now the usable 1, I still dunno how 2 check poly count :o if someone can tell me ill give u a count

Heres the desk, gotta be under 30 Id tink. Im considering doin a comp tomorrow, sorta more practice since I gotta learn autocad at work soon...

Edit: When I changed files to .3ds format I added a comp, moniter and keyboard. Here is updated pic...

Polycount is now 140

post-29-1058706458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

Jim, they will probably work best as single objects and not primatives placed next to eachother.

Unfortunately telling you exactally how to go about this is beyond the scope of writing ATM. I suggest that you run through some of the learning tutorials if you have any on polygon modeling and subobject modes. Once you get that down it'll be a snap to get you going on the rest. Take heart we all start somewhere.

:D

Nice model Kenshiro, both model and pic are in the assetlist now. That texture looks great!

Here are some tips for Milkshape. To make the model all one group, on the tabbed menu there's a groups tab. Press Ctrl-A to select everything, then click regroup. Then rename that group to something like modelname01. To check the stats on the model, go to the tools menu and click show model statistics. That will give you the total poly count.

Everybody should make sure when exporting items that those items are positioned correctly, try to have them near the origin on the X-Y plane, and 'above ground' on the Z. In Milkshape the Y and Z axes are swapped. Difference between your XY map being on a desk in front of you on on a wall. Z goes up or out respectively. Centering on the origin is most relevent, we can rotate the model 90 degrees either way easily enough. Let me know if you have any other questions about Milkshape, I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by Breunor

A simple fountain. The polycount is a bit high, 418, but I think that it's accepable since it will only be a single of these on screen at the same time, and besides, I think that the water requires some geometry to look nice:

post-29-1058695037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cubik

Can't the water be mapped as a texture? I think it could still look nice, or is that for animation purposes?

Anyway, here's a chair I made just now, one straight version (12 polies) and one a bit rounded (36 polies) It's just an extruded line, so it can be given any wanted length without using additional polies. I don't know if it's still possible to alter those dimensions once it's converted to .3ds, so maybe I should create a few different lengths?

Meshes are updated.

chair1.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69
Jim, they will probably work best as single objects and not primatives placed next to eachother.

Unfortunately telling you exactally how to go about this is beyond the scope of writing ATM. I suggest that you run through some of the learning tutorials if you have any on polygon modeling and subobject modes. Once you get that down it'll be a snap to get you going on the rest. Take heart we all start somewhere.

:D

So they should always be grouped? I know how 2 do this, I was just a little tired :D Should I group items that could be shot off seperatly?

Edit: Have now changed file grouping all primitives 2gether, rotated model and moved it 2 origin. Also moved 2 keep object in the +ive.

BTW, poly count for this is 120. ( with comp moniter etc. it is 140 )

I think I may as well scrap the bin. Its 1628 polys :LOL:

desk.max

Edited by Jim69

Guest drewid

Not wanting to teach anyone how to suck eggs - and I haven't looked at the models, so this coment isn't about any model in particular. :blink:

Bear in mind the viewpoints we will be looking at the models from. So if there are any polys that we will never see then kill them.

Bottom of table or chair legs, under the tank or the bin, underside of ridges. or the underside of shelves are the sort of places they hide.

If you've got a thing with a ridge round it - like an oil barrel - consider moving the centre point of the ridge downwards and killing the underneath polys.

so instead of

|

\

/

|

you have

|

\

|

We won't see the gap from an iso viewpoint. lighting for the ridge and a shadow underneath can be burnt into the texture.

Just a quick last minute check can scrape us back a few poly's per model, and over the course of a scene that could add up to thousands.

I know it's obvious, but I know professionals with years of experience who still haven't got the hang of this. :hammer: