13 replies to this topic

#1 jclloydy

jclloydy

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:18 AM

Hello. I'm using the CE version of UFO Defense and latest XcomUtil.

Whenever I enter a battlescape or leave one (i.e ended a mission) the game drops back to desktop with only the RunXcomW file running.
However, I can press 'ctrl+c' and the game pops back up.
I love the features XcomUtil has, but this can get mildy irritating.

Any solutions?

It happens with or without the F0dder loader. I usually use the Geocape Time patch.
Any help much appreciated (please don't 'refer to this thread' as they all seem broken.)

#2 codeman05

codeman05

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:56 AM

I'm actually having this same issue. Worked fine for a few games and now I'm getting the above problem.

Any help would be great

#3 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

I'm getting this issue too, doesn't bother me too much though. I didn't know about that CTRL+C thing fixing it, but if you do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and go to the Processes tab, end the process called xcopy.exe and the game will pop right up.
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.

#4 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

There was a message posted somewhere that Xcopy was actually waiting for confirmation. Since it wasn't getting it, it wasn't ending. The way to fix this was to open up runxcom.bat (or runxcomw.bat) and modify each and every line that has XCOPY in it. *.bat files are just plain text files. You can open them in a plain text editor like MS-Edit or MS-Notepad, or even Word (just remember to save as plain text).

All you needed to do was add /Y on each line with XCOPY in it to skip the confirmation. Or, actually, you could override all of the XCOPY's by adding SET COPYCMD = /Y to the very start of the batch file, before anything else.

If anyone with this problem would kindly test this out and report back if it's working, that'd be great.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 26 November 2006 - 05:08 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#5 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Well, I opened up the .bat files in Notepad, and tested out a few of your suggestions, and here're the results:

Test: Added set copycmd = /y at the top of runxcom.bat
Result: Problem remains

Test: Added set copycmd = /y at the top of RunXcomW.bat

Test: Added set copycmd = /y at the top of both runxcom.bat and RunXcomW.bat

Test: Added /y to the end of every line containing xcopy in runxcom.bat

Test: Added /y to the end of every line containing xcopy in RunXcomW.bat

On a hunch:

Test: Added set xcopycmd = /y at the top of runxcom.bat

Test: Added set xcopycmd = /y at the top of RunXcomW.bat

Test: Added set xcopycmd = /y at the top of both runxcom.bat and RunXcomW.bat

Sorry NKF, your fix doesn't appear to be working for me...although I'm testing it on saved files which are already in Tactical mode, might this alter things?
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.

#6 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

It was probably to solve some other similar problem then. Hmm. Or I might be suggesting the wrong command switch? You can check the various switches by running XCOPY /? at the command prompt.

- NKF

#7 Ghworg

Ghworg

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

I had a similar problem running the DOS version in dosemu, which I solved thanks to the hints given here :D . In addition to sticking /Y on the end of each xcopy command in runxcom.bat I had to delete the >nul that was there to get things to work though. Maybe that will work for you too.

#8 Vagabond

Vagabond

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

It was probably to solve some other similar problem then. Hmm. Or I might be suggesting the wrong command switch? You can check the various switches by running XCOPY /? at the command prompt.

- NKF

Yer a genius!

It works beautifully.

#9 Shooter

Shooter

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Yer a genius!

It works beautifully.

First of all let me apologize for my miserable school-english, but this thread here helped me pretty much in solving my problems with this game under WinXP SP II. The trick is not simply to add /Y behind all command lines in which xcopy is mentioned, but to add the /Y tag right before the >nul part in these lines. Otherwise the game copies about 38 files each and every time you skip from the battlefield to the geoscape or the other way round. So finally you've got probably four lines like this:

xcopy missdat xcubef /Y >nul

And that rocks! :D

#10 zeruel_angel

zeruel_angel

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

Yer a genius!

It works beautifully.

First of all let me apologize for my miserable school-english, but this thread here helped me pretty much in solving my problems with this game under WinXP SP II. The trick is not simply to add /Y behind all command lines in which xcopy is mentioned, but to add the /Y tag right before the >nul part in these lines. Otherwise the game copies about 38 files each and every time you skip from the battlefield to the geoscape or the other way round. So finally you've got probably four lines like this:

xcopy missdat xcubef /Y >nul

And that rocks! :D

ROFL WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! IT WORKED!!!!

THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Thanks you very much!

Now I can continue playing! BTW this game modification ROCKS! Thanks Scott T Jones and BladeFireLight for this INCREDIBLE AWESOME GAME MODIFICATION!

I'm so happy! thank you all of you!

#11 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Captain

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

Does any one know what version of windows have xcopy that require the /y and what versions that don't?

I believe XP, 2000, 2003, and vista do. I'm not sure about ME, but I'm sure DOS 95 and 98 don't.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Blade FireLight

Edited by BladeFireLight, 16 December 2007 - 07:56 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.

#12 zaimoni

zaimoni

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

Does any one know what version of windows have xcopy that require the /y and what versions that don't?

I believe XP, 2000, 2003, and vista do. I'm not sure about ME, but I'm sure DOS 95 and 98 don't.

That sounds right for unmodded installs (have verified: DOS, Win95, W2K).

The COPYCMD variable can override the defaults, however. There should be no harm to explicitly specifying /Y regardless, although there does seem to be some dissent on where the best place for it is. [I've put /Y at the front, but there's at least one configuration out there that needs it right before the > nul ]

#13 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

The >Nul is just there to pipe the text output of the program to another source. In this case, nowhere, so no text is displayed on the console. It should be at the very end of any line, so I'd recommend putting the /Y before it, or else XCOPY won't even see the switch.

- NKF

#14 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Captain

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

actualy you can skip the whole issue by adding

set copycmd=/y

to the top of the file.
Then every xcopy command is asumed to have /y included.

-Blade FireLight
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.