XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - UFO Construction

tzuchan

If I can keep this rate of CTD output up, we'd have drafts for all the CTDs by the end of next months...

Anyway, here's the UFO Construction CTD I threw together... Please read and review... Criticism can only help me make it better.

UFO Construction

UFOs have consistently outperformed all fighter planes currently available to X-Corps. This even includes next generation prototype fighters that are still on the drawing board. Several factors contribute to the UFO's edge over conventional fighters, that is the materials used in the construction of UFOs, the intricate zero lag-time pilot-craft interface, and the craft's powerplant. X-Corps Research and Developement have managed to not only understand the principles behind all of those factors, but to also replicate the necessary components for us to develop fighter planes with the attributes of UFOs. As such, we recommend that priority be given to developing the new interceptor.

<Fluffie?>

Aircrafts can generally be divided into three main components, the airframe, the control system, and the powerplant. Similarly, UFOs can be broken down into the [Alien Alloy] hull, the [UFO Navigation] control system, and the [Xenium Reactor].

UFOs can withstand the extreme forces caused by the outlandish manuevers that they commonly exhibit due to the use of [Alien Alloy]s in the construction. The hulls of UFOs is entirely made of one peice of [Alien Alloy], with no evidence of any sort of cutting, welding or even the use of physical connectors such as bolts and nuts. This provides support to the theory that the hull of an UFO is made by inducing [Alien Alloy] to grow into the needed shape, internal compartments and all. This manufacturing process leads to a hull capable of taking an impressive amount of stresses before losing structural integrity, but unfortunately, our scientist have yet to be able to manipulate the growth of [Alien Alloy]s on the scale required to duplicate this manufacturing process.

The [UFO Navigation] provided UFOs is a true zero lag-time pilot-craft interface that provides responsiveness unmatched even by the A-Wave Control System used in the [Interceptor]. The mind/machine interface that bypasses the body enables the pilot to control a aircraft like it was part of the pilot's body, resulting in a aircraft responsive enough for a skilled pilot to evade missiles midair with ease.

However, the heart of a aircraft lies in the power plant that it uses, and the same is true even for UFOs. Unlike human aircrafts, UFOs generally have at least one [Xenium reactor] to generate gravity waves that provides both lift and thrust. Due to the fact that the gravity waves can easily be manipulated through controlling the magnetic fields within the reactor, the reactor proves to be capable of providing the necessary multi-vector thrust required for the impossible manueveurs that UFOs execute routinely.

All of this factors combined result in a class of aircrafts that can rule the skies with ease. As such, if we plan on defeating the alien threat, we have no choice but to adapt their technology and develop our own aircrafts with similar attributes.

<Fluffie!!>

This text looks very good, it's really smooth for a "rough draft".

Most of the alien hull textures have included a patchwork pattern, which will likely have a bump-map applied to make it look like fine seams in the surface. So I would say the alien alloy hull consists of a series of panels which were originally seperate pieces, but through special processes are made to fuse together into a single surface.

Other than that and minor grammar points, it looks very nice!

Perhaps, Himmler used it on his UFO concepts but maybe it was just a placeholder texture. It does add more variety to the look of the shell.

You might also want to mention that UFOs were designed for use in outer space, hence the non-aerodynamic shape. In addition, you could say that the alien alloys also act as radiation shielding. In response to cartesians comment, you could also list the fact that it is a 0 gravity environment as an advantage of using the UFO power source. I'll give you a second chance to fix the grammar problems in the piece, since I need to move on to other ctds

aerodynamic= "wing shaped" to get lift, and reduce drag. geometric objects with symmetry around the horizontal plane dont generate lift, and may generate turbulance.

However, the UFOs should be aerodynic to some degree, in that they will want a low profile to minimise drag when used as an atmospheric vehicle. Edited by Cartesian

No dude,
Aerodynamic = DRAG reduction; it has nothing to do with lift. Airfoil-type profiles generate lift. And yes, they have to be asymmetric w.r.t the velocity vector; this is usually accomplished by either camber or increased angle of attack.

[quote name='Foozball' date='Feb 15 2004, 03:45 AM']No dude,
Aerodynamic = DRAG reduction; it has nothing to do with lift. Airfoil-type profiles generate lift. And yes, they have to be asymmetric w.r.t the velocity vector; this is usually accomplished by either camber or increased angle of attack.[/quote]
i learn something new each day. guess I can go home now! :D ;)

[quote name='Foozball' date='Feb 13 2004, 07:22 PM']But round and/or disc-shaped IS aerodynamic...[/quote]
does this look aerodynamic to you?
Although I guess we have to see the new ufo models before we decide on whether they actually are aerodynamic.

[img]http://www.xcomufo.com/ufopaedia/pics/big/shot0111.png[/img] Edited by Ancalagon

[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='Feb 15 2004, 08:29 PM']If you ask anyone in tilespace, they'll tell you that is a perfect circle.[/quote]
:alienlol:
I think that's the quote of the day right there.

The discussion Imperial/SI has already been made, check the thread [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1656"]here[/url].
Let's just keep this thread on the UFO construction CTD, if you feel you have something to contribute to the units discussion do it in the thread I linked to, please

edit: moved those posts about it here to the right discussion anyway :) Edited by j'ordos

• 2 weeks later...
Regarding any references to the UFO looks, just realise changes might be needed later to match differences in the 3D model. So you can use whatever description you like, I'd just avoid putting too much focus on it.

Don't forget to make suggestions in the Images/Artwork forum about how you'd like this UFO to look, anybody can start the thread to begin discussion, we don't need a picture or model to start things. In fact, text descriptions are the first step according to the submission guidelines. Internal layout of the floor plan and external look is not directly related, although it obviously can have some effect.

• 6 months later...
Cartesian:
Yeah, I know that with the funky gravity/space-warping/whatever drive the aliens have, we could throw aerodynamics out the window and a brick shaped UFO will still fly. However, despite the fact that we are using funky grav drives and the UFO is essentially "falling" around, they still have to contend with the forces apllied onto it by the surround matter when they are inside atmosphere. More so when they are doing intensive manuevers. I doubt that something with the surface area of a medium or larger UFO can zip around at high speed without some sort of stresses.

Also, are we going with the "grown whole" or "plates grown together" for ufos?
And does anyone think that there's stuff that I have to clarify, left out, or remove from the CTD?

• 4 months later...
Bwah... This fella has really fallen by the wayside...

UFO Construction

UFOs have consistently outperformed all fighter planes currently available to X-Corps. This even includes next generation prototype fighters that are still on the drawing board. Several factors contribute to the UFO's edge over conventional fighters, that is the materials used in the construction of UFOs, the intricate zero lag-time pilot-craft interface, and the craft's powerplant. X-Corps Research and Developement have managed to not only understand the principles behind all of those factors, but to also replicate the necessary components for us to develop fighter planes with the attributes of UFOs. As such, we recommend that priority be given to developing the new interceptor.

<Fluffie?>

Aircrafts can generally be divided into three main components, the airframe, the control system, and the powerplant. Similarly, UFOs can be broken down into the Alien Composite hull, the Alien Navigation system, and the Xenium Reactor.

UFOs can withstand the extreme forces caused by the outlandish manuevers that they commonly exhibit due to the use of Alien Composites in the construction. The hulls of UFOs is entirely made of the composite, with no evidence of any sort of cutting, welding or even the use of physical connectors such as bolts and nuts. This provides support to the theory that the hull of an UFO is made by inducing Alien Composites to grow into the needed shape, internal compartments and all. This manufacturing process leads to a hull capable of taking an impressive amount of stresses before losing structural integrity, but unfortunately, our scientist have yet to be able to manipulate the growth of Alien Composites on the scale required to duplicate this manufacturing process.

The Alien Navigation system provided UFOs is a true zero lag-time pilot-craft interface that provides responsiveness unmatched even by the A-Wave Control System used in the Gryphon. The mind/machine interface that bypasses the body enables the pilot to control the aircraft like it was part of the pilot's body, resulting in a aircraft responsive enough for a skilled pilot to evade missiles midair with ease.

However, the heart of any aircraft lies in its power plant, and the same is true even for UFOs. Unlike human aircrafts, which rely on lifting surfaces and expelling air to generate thrust, UFOs rely on Xenium-Reactors to generate gravity waves that provides both lift and thrust. Due to the fact that the gravity waves can easily be manipulated through controlling the magnetic fields within the reactor, the reactor proves to be capable of providing the necessary multi-vector thrust required for the impossible manueveurs that UFOs execute routinely. Also, mastery in controlling gravity waves allow the aliens to nullify the effects of inertia, protecting the crew from the effects of G-force.

All of this factors combined result in a class of aircrafts that can rule the skies with ease. As such, if we plan on defeating the alien threat, we have no choice but to adapt their technology and develop our own aircrafts with similar attributes.

<Fluffie!!>

Mostly just replacing old names with new, and a couple of reworked sentences... If not one has anything that they need me to clarify, other than some grammer/spelling mistakes, I might as well ask Azzy to ship it for proofing...

Again, are there there's stuff that I have to clarify, left out, or remove from the CTD?

just a bit on the aurodynamic side - maybe the aliens don't really grasp the same understanding of aurodynamics as we humans do. Why?

1) They've got the power, they don't really need to investigate air resistance.

2) They mostly fly in space...

that could also be added to this CTD, how human understand of aurodynamics can easily be applied to the UFOs to create crafts even better the the UFOs. :hmmm:

fluff?

"After the first test flights in small prototype crafts, it became clear that we had to adjust the scanning devices on our radars. We made those things a bit too good." ~ Some sci guy

okay, a bit on the far side of humor, i know :rolleyes:

1 problem:

Won't X-Corps Gryphons be fighting...and winning against some, possibly most, of these amazing crafts??? I don't think the player is gonna buy into all the talking up of the UFOs ruling the skies when they have been shooting them down the whole game thus far. Don't know what you could do to fix this though because you DO want them to sound impressive. : \

I dunno about you, but I have some pretty nasty memories of ufos out running my interceptors...

True, small to large scouts can be downed by inties with twin long range missile launchers, but that's because they outrange 'em...

[quote]just a bit on the aurodynamic side - maybe the aliens don't really grasp the same understanding of aurodynamics as we humans do. Why?

1) They've got the power, they don't really need to investigate air resistance.

2) They mostly fly in space...[/quote]I dunno... Remember that eventhough they no are from other planets, other planets also have atmosphere, in some cases atmosphere even thicker than the soup we have. However, not needing lifting surfaces, or maintaining a minimum speed to stay in the air does affect their aerodynamics some... I think most of the ufo designs(By himmler at least) exhibit reduced aerodynamics, but it's still there...

[color="red"]Red text[/color] indicates additions, [color="orange"]orange text[/color] indicates deletions, and [color="blue"][i]blue text[/i][/color] indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets] and capitalizations of the word "Alien" are not denoted.

[quote name='tzuchan' date='Feb 10 2005, 11:36 AM']UFO Construction

UFOs have consistently outperformed all fighter planes currently available to X-Corps. This even includes next generation prototype fighters that are still on the drawing board. Several factors contribute to the UFO's edge over conventional fighters[color="red"]:[/color][color="orange"], that is[/color] the materials used in the construction of UFOs, the intricate zero lag-time pilot-craft interface, and the craft's powerplant. X-Corps Research and Develop[color="orange"]e[/color]ment have managed to not only understand the principles behind all of those factors, but to also replicate the necessary components for us to develop [color="blue"][i]advanced, new?[/i][/color] fighter planes with the attributes of UFOs. As such, we recommend that priority be given to developing the new interceptor.

<Fluffie?>

Aircraft[color="orange"]s[/color] can generally be divided into three main components[color="red"]:[/color][color="orange"],[/color] the airframe, the control system, and the powerplant. Similarly, UFOs can be broken down into the Alien Composite hull, the Alien Navigation system, and the Xenium Reactor.

UFOs can withstand the extreme forces caused by the outlandish [color="blue"][i]incredible?[/i][/color] manuevers that they commonly exhibit due to the [color="orange"]use of[/color] Alien Composites [color="red"]used[/color] in the[color="red"]ir[/color] construction. The hulls of UFOs [color="orange"]is[/color] [color="red"]are[/color] entirely made [color="blue"][i]composed, constructed?[/i][/color] of the composite [color="blue"][i]material?[/i][/color], with [color="blue"][i]showing, exhibiting, displaying?[/i][/color] no evidence [color="blue"][i]signs?[/i][/color] of [color="blue"][i]physical alteration such as; mechanical manipulation such as?[/i][/color] any sort of cutting, welding or even the use of physical connectors such as bolts and [color="orange"]nuts[/color] [color="red"]rivets[/color] [color="blue"][i]Trust me, "rivets" sounds much better than "nuts"[/i][/color]. This provides support [color="blue"][i]lends credence?[/i][/color] to the [color="red"]"Hull Growth"[/color] theory [color="red"]of Alien UFO construction:[/color] that the hull of an UFO is made by [color="red"]somehow[/color] inducing Alien Composites to grow into the needed shape, internal compartments and all. This manufacturing process leads to [color="blue"][i]This unusual/unearthly/artificial process results in?[/i][/color] a hull capable of taking an impressive amount of stress[color="orange"]es[/color] before losing structural integrity, but unfortunately, our scientist[color="red"]s[/color] have yet [color="orange"]to be[/color] [color="red"]been un[/color]able to manipulate the growth of Alien Composites on the scale required to duplicate this manufacturing process [color="blue"][i]feat?[/i][/color].

The Alien Navigation system [color="orange"]provided[/color] [color="red"]provides[/color] UFOs [color="orange"]is a[/color] [color="red"]the[/color] true zero lag-time pilot-craft interface that [color="orange"]provides responsiveness[/color] [color="red"]is[/color] unmatched even by the A-Wave Control System used in the Gryphon. [color="orange"]The[/color] [color="red"]A[/color] mind/machine interface that bypasses the body [color="orange"]enables the[/color] [color="red"]would enable[/color] pilot[color="red"]s[/color] to control [color="orange"]the[/color] aircraft like [color="orange"]it was part[/color] [color="red"]extensions[/color] of the[color="red"]ir[/color] [color="orange"]pilot's[/color] body, resulting in [color="orange"]a aircraft responsive enough for[/color] [color="red"]unparalleled responsiveness, such that[/color] a skilled pilot [color="orange"]to[/color] [color="red"]could[/color] evade missiles [color="orange"]midair[/color] with ease.

[color="blue"][i]"Provides" was used very frequently in the first half of this paragraph, hence some of the changes.  The last sentence was weird; the original subject was the "mind-machine interface" resulting in a "responsive aircraft"- changed it so the "MMI" results in "responsiveness".  Also changed it to account for the fact that research hasn't been fully completed, so the speaker should be speaking theoretically.[/i][/color]

However, [color="red"]at[/color] the heart of any aircraft lies [color="orange"]in[/color] its power plant, and the same is true even for UFOs. Unlike human aircraft[color="orange"]s,[/color] which rely on lifting surfaces and expelling air [color="blue"][i]propellant?[/i][/color] to generate thrust, UFOs rely on Xenium[color="orange"]-[/color]Reactors to generate [color="red"]the[/color] gravity waves that provide[color="orange"]s[/color] both lift and thrust. Due to the fact that [color="orange"]the[/color] gravity waves can easily be manipulated [color="red"]by[/color] [color="orange"]through controlling the[/color] magnetic fields within the reactor, [color="orange"]the reactor proves to be[/color] [color="red"]it is[/color] capable of providing the necessary multi-vector thrust required for the impossible [color="orange"]manueveurs[/color] [color="red"]maneuvers[/color] that UFOs [color="orange"]execute[/color] routinely [color="red"]execute[/color]. Also, [color="red"]their[/color] mastery [color="orange"]in controlling[/color] [color="red"]of[/color] gravity waves allow[color="red"]s[/color] the Aliens to nullify the effects of inertia, protecting the crew from the [color="red"]deleterious[/color] effects of [color="red"]excessive[/color] G-force[color="red"]s[/color].

[color="orange"]All of this[/color] [color="red"]These[/color] factors combined result in a class of aircraft[color="orange"]s[/color] that can [color="orange"]rule[/color] [color="red"]easily dominate[/color] the skies [color="orange"]with ease[/color]. As such, [color="orange"]if we plan on defeating[/color] [color="red"]should we intend to defeat[/color] the Alien threat, we have no [color="blue"][i]little?[/i][/color] choice but to adapt [color="blue"][i]incorporate, embrace?[/i][/color] their technology [color="orange"]and[/color] [color="red"]to[/color] develop [color="orange"]our own[/color] aircraft[color="orange"]s[/color] with similar [color="blue"][i]competitive, comparable?[/i][/color] [color="orange"]attributes[/color] [color="red"]specifications[/color].

<Fluffie!!>[/quote]

Nice work, tzuchan- it looks pretty close to being done! Edited by Astyanax

A small point, and something I'm not sure is still used in Xenocide:

The internal walls to the UFO, according to this, are the same construction and design as the outer shell, yet, in actual combat (at least in UFO itself), the internal walls to the UFO could be melted down with one or two shots from a heavy plasma, the outer shell, noticably thicker, sturdier stuff, took High Explosives to put a one square hole in it.

If this is maintained in Xenocide (and I recall the M.O. was to keep gameplay and tactics similar to Enemy Unknown), then some mention as to the difference in integrity might fit well here in this CTD.

Apart from that, looks good to me.

Oh yes, and of course a circle is aerodynamic. That's why frisbees work. :P

• 7 months later...

minor changes, mostly integration of Astyanax's suggestions. funny - some parts of this fit my new Xenium Reactor text perfectly, although I never wrote a word of the UFO Construction text until now.

:)

UFO Construction

UFOs have consistently outperformed all fighter planes currently available to X-Corps. This even includes next generation prototype fighters that are still on the drawing board. Several factors contribute to the UFO's edge over conventional fighters: the materials used in the construction of UFOs, the intricate zero lag-time pilot-craft interface, and the craft's powerplant. X-Corps Research and Development have managed to not only understand the principles behind all of those factors and replicate the necessary components, but also to modify them to our needs. We have now gained enough knowledge about these technologies to develop advanced craft with the attributes and capabilities of UFOs. As such, we recommend that priority be given to developing a new interceptor type craft.

UFOs can withstand the extreme forces caused by the incredible manuevers that they commonly exhibit due to the Alien Composites used in their construction. The hulls and internal structures of UFOs are entirely constructed of the composite material, displaying no signs of mechanical manipulation such as any sort of cutting, welding or even the use of physical connectors such as bolts and rivets. This absence of weak points in the structure gives the UFOs' structure amazing resilience. It also lends credence to the "Hull Growth" theory of Alien UFO manufacturing - that the hull of an UFO is made by somehow growing Alien Composites into the needed shape, internal compartments and all. This unusual process results in a hull capable of taking an impressive amount of stress before losing structural integrity, but unfortunately, our scientists have yet been unable to induce growth of Alien Composites in order to duplicate this feat.

The Alien Navigation system gives UFOs the true zero lag-time pilot-craft interface that is unmatched even by the A-Wave Control System used in the Gryphon. A mind/machine interface that bypasses the body enables the pilot to control the aircraft like it was an extension of his or her body, resulting in unparalleled responsiveness, such that a skilled pilot could evade missiles with ease.

However, the heart of any aircraft lies in its power plant, and the same is true even for UFOs. Unlike human aircraft which rely on lifting surfaces and/or jet engines to generate thrust, UFOs rely on Xenium-powered reactors to generate gravity waves that provide both lift and thrust. Due to the fact that gravity waves can easily be manipulated by the reactor, it is capable of providing the necessary multi-vector thrust required for the impossible maneuvers that UFOs routinely execute. Also, their mastery of gravity waves allows the Aliens to nullify the effects of inertia, protecting the crew from the deleterious effects of excessive G-forces.

These factors combined result in a class of craft that can easily dominate the skies, and even perform outside of atmospheres. As such, since we intend to defeat the Aliens, we have little choice but to incorporate their technology to develop craft with comparable specifications.

How about for fluffies:

1) 'Would all members of the Research Division please return the plans for new UFOs, thank you.'

2) '...and all you have to do is apply a welding torch to these sixteen different spots, simultaneously whilst the UFO is in motion, and it should collapse like a pack of cards...' ~ The chief aeronautical engineer explaining the future anti -UFO plans of the X-corps to Alpha Squad

Yay? Nay? =b =p ??

• 4 weeks later...
Moriarty, what do you want to do? fluff now or do you want to ask for suggestions later in the Fluffs suggestion? The only thing this needs to be completed is a fluff, your choice ;)

• 1 year later...

Corrected headline, added fluff - what do you think? ^_^

UFO CONSTRUCTION

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/UFO Construction

UFOs have consistently outperformed all fighter planes currently available to X-Corps. This even includes next generation prototype fighters that are still on the drawing board. Several factors contribute to the UFO's edge over conventional fighters: the materials used in the construction of UFOs, the intricate zero lag-time pilot-craft interface, and the craft's powerplant. X-Corps Research and Development have managed to not only understand the principles behind all of those factors and replicate the necessary components, but also to modify them to our needs. We have now gained enough knowledge about these technologies to develop advanced craft with the attributes and capabilities of UFOs. As such, we recommend that priority be given to developing a new interceptor type craft.

UFOs can withstand the extreme forces caused by the incredible manuevers that they commonly exhibit due to the Alien Composites used in their construction. The hulls and internal structures of UFOs are entirely constructed of the composite material, displaying no signs of mechanical manipulation such as any sort of cutting, welding or even the use of physical connectors such as bolts and rivets. This absence of weak points in the structure gives the UFOs' structure amazing resilience. It also lends credence to the "Hull Growth" theory of Alien UFO manufacturing - that the hull of an UFO is made by somehow growing Alien Composites into the needed shape, internal compartments and all. This unusual process results in a hull capable of taking an impressive amount of stress before losing structural integrity, but unfortunately, our scientists have yet been unable to induce growth of Alien Composites in order to duplicate this feat.

The Alien Navigation system gives UFOs the true zero lag-time pilot-craft interface that is unmatched even by the A-Wave Control System used in the Gryphon. A mind/machine interface that bypasses the body enables the pilot to control the aircraft like it was an extension of his or her body, resulting in unparalleled responsiveness, such that a skilled pilot could evade missiles with ease.

However, the heart of any aircraft lies in its power plant, and the same is true even for UFOs. Unlike human aircraft which rely on lifting surfaces and/or jet engines to generate thrust, UFOs rely on Xenium-powered reactors to generate gravity waves that provide both lift and thrust. Due to the fact that gravity waves can easily be manipulated by the reactor, it is capable of providing the necessary multi-vector thrust required for the impossible maneuvers that UFOs routinely execute. Also, their mastery of gravity waves allows the Aliens to nullify the effects of inertia, protecting the crew from the deleterious effects of excessive G-forces.

These factors combined result in a class of craft that can easily dominate the skies, and even perform outside of atmospheres. As such, since we intend to defeat the Aliens, we have little choice but to incorporate their technology to develop craft with comparable specifications.

"And all the kings horses, and all the kings men couldn't put Humptie together again..."