XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - GAIA Defense Array

With the discovery of alien alloys have come a plythora of stronger ships and armor. Now that our understanding of these new compounds is full we can begin studying the alien weapons which utilize them. With the introduction of new, more powerful UFOs actively searching for our bases, it has become imperative we design a more effective method of defending these outposts. Previously, our first line of defense has been the use of missile defenses designed to shoot down attacking craft prior to landing. Unfortunately, time has shown these turrets relatively ineffective against a fully equipped landing craft. Using a hybrid of alien and human materials, our scientists have just now been able to solve this problem.

Based on alien blaster bombs, these new projectiles are capable of penetrating the heaviest armor with ease. Nicknamed fusion balls, these highly advanced missiles are guided by a complex navigation system which controls the warhead with the gunner's own mind. This gives them unmatched accuracy in downing targets, but also fatigues the user to a point where only a couple shots may be fired before passing out. Despite this, our new fusion ball defenses have proven in simulators they can provide far better defense than any previous modules in destroying any threat to our bases.

Armed with incredibly dense warheads, fusion balls can slip through armor easily. Once past this layer of protection, they detonate with the use of a tiny particle wave accelerator, creating a small but deadly amount of anti-matter. The instant this anti-matter comes into contact with any matter, the resulting annihilation will destroy, or at least severely damage the target. The crew members maimed, and their ship all but destroyed at best, any attacking vessal would have no choice but to abort their mission.

How is it? The text in red will have to be renamed to avoid any copyright trouble, but my brain is pooped. I did a lot of homework right before this, and need a brake. Feel free to criticize as you will, as it's probably got a ways to go.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Azrael

Ok, here's my first review.

With the discovery of alien alloys have come a plythora of stronger ships and armor. Now that our understanding of these new compounds is full we can begin studying the alien weapons which utilize them. With the introduction of new, more powerful UFOs actively searching for our bases, it has become imperative we design a more effective method of defending these outposts. Previously, our first line of defense has been the use of missile defenses designed to shoot down attacking craft prior to landing. Unfortunately, time has shown these turrets relatively ineffective against a fully equipped landing craft. Using a hybrid of alien and human materials, our scientists have just now been able to solve this problem.

-- Sorry, I've no idea what a plythora is. You can research Plasma weapons before Fusion Ball Defense, I think it's not correct to say that now we can begin studying alien weapons which use alien alloys, since you probably already have done that with plasma.

"Introduction" seems out of place in that sentence, how about "As the Alien forces have increased their efforts in finding the locations of our bases, defense has become a priority of the highest order, redesign of our defense facilities is now imperative"?

Don't call them "these outposts", it sounds like they are not our outposts, call them "the" or "our", something like that.

Our line of defense has been conformed by missiles, but don't forget about laser and plasma defenses, I'm not sure in what order you can study them, I guess laser then plasma then fusion, mention them at least.

We've to think, also, that a player might have never been attacked by aliens, maybe instead of "... time has shown these turrets relatively ineffective..." something like "Unfortunately, as the alien force seems to have been strenghten, our scientists agree that our defense facilities are no longer capable of an effective counter attack in case of an alien attack. Recent breakthroughs have led us to the solution to this urgent matter". --

Based on alien blaster bombs, these new projectiles are capable of penetrating the heaviest armor with ease. Nicknamed fusion balls, these highly advanced missiles are guided by a complex navigation system which controls the warhead with the gunner's own mind. This gives them unmatched accuracy in downing targets, but also fatigues the user to a point where only a couple shots may be fired before passing out. Despite this, our new fusion ball defenses have proven in simulators they can provide far better defense than any previous modules in destroying any threat to our bases.

-- Interesting, talk more about the warheads, how are they made and what they have inside.

The gunner's mind, eh?, but if the gunner passes out, what prevents a second gunner from taking his place and firing a couple of shots more?, and a third and a fourth?, talk about that, maybe the gunner has to get into some kind of complex machine which would take a lot of time to take the unconscious gunner and replace him?, or removing the gunner abruptly from the machine could kill him?, think about it.--

Armed with incredibly dense warheads, fusion balls can slip through armor easily. Once past this layer of protection, they detonate with the use of a tiny particle wave accelerator, creating a small but deadly amount of anti-matter. The instant this anti-matter comes into contact with any matter, the resulting annihilation will destroy, or at least severely damage the target. The crew members maimed, and their ship all but destroyed at best, any attacking vessal would have no choice but to abort their mission.

Plythora=Many

The player might not have researched plasma/laser defenses yet, though, I don't think you have to to get fusion ball defenses.

Either way, you'd only get to fire once before a ship landed. Same goes for all other defense module. More about the warheads is right under your last comment. Yeah, the part about the particle beam accelerators.

Hm. Maybe to replace the alien alloy 1st used in weapons, something along the lines of "alien alloys first used in large-scale base defense"? I'll think on it.

Does Dipstick approve of you calling him dippy (it is Dipstick, right?), or is this a "he'll never find out" thing? -_-

Dippy is easier to type than "Diptstick" Also, i thought that he had proofed all teh buildings. i guess he accidentally left out fusion ball defences(i guess it was never written, soooo)

Guest Azrael
Plythora=Many

The player might not have researched plasma/laser defenses yet, though, I don't think you have to to get fusion ball defenses.

Either way, you'd only get to fire once before a ship landed.  Same goes for all other defense module.  More about the warheads is right under your last comment.  Yeah, the part about the particle beam accelerators.

Hm.  Maybe to replace the alien alloy 1st used in weapons, something along the lines of "alien alloys first used in large-scale base defense"?  I'll think on it.

Does Dipstick approve of you calling him dippy (it is Dipstick, right?), or is this a "he'll never find out" thing? -_-

So that's a plythora, had to look for it in the dictionary and didn't find it :hammer: .

I know you talk a little about the warhead in the next paragraph, I just think you should say a little bit more about them.

I'd really like to know if dipstick likes being called dippy... ^_^

Either way, you'd only get to fire once before a ship landed.  Same goes for all other defense module.  More about the warheads is right under your last comment.  Yeah, the part about the particle beam accelerators.

That's not how they should be. Because the shield is to hold the aliens back, not stop their troops advancing. Unless this has already been discussed, it should be this way, not after it lands. Also, most of the facilities are haven't been done or they are in poor shape.... If you want, i can give you the report RS just pmed me with

I never said anything about shields, anyway. The player might not have them yet.

I'll PM "dippy" about his nickname in a second. Anyway, back to fusion ball defenses.

With the discovery of alien alloys have come an abundance of stronger ships and armor. Ever since their discovery, our scientists have discussed various ways of using them on a large scale. Now that alien ships are actively searching for our bases, in the effort and destroy them, this topic has become, instead, a search for a more effective base defense against an invasion force. Previously, our first line of defense has been the use of missile defenses designed to shoot down attacking craft prior to landing. Unfortunately, time has shown these turrets relatively ineffective against the larger landing craft which are so commonly seen these days. Using a hybrid of alien and human materials, our scientists have just now found a solution to this enigma.

Based on alien blaster bombs, these new projectiles are capable of penetrating the heaviest armor with ease. Nicknamed fusion balls, these highly advanced missiles are guided by a complex navigation system which controls the warhead with the gunner's own mind. This gives them unmatched accuracy in downing targets, but also fatigues the user to a point where only a couple shots may be fired before passing out. Due to the complexity of the control equiptment, only one gunner may man a single defensive module before the hostile invasion force is deployed and it is too late. Despite this, our new fusion ball defenses have proven in computer simulations they can provide far better defense than any previous modules in destroying any threat to our bases.

The outer shell of a fusion ball is coated with a new substance created from molecularly bonding strips of alien alloys, layered with Teflon. Armed with these incredibly dense warheads, fusion balls can slip through armor easily. Inside this coat of armor lies a minute particle wave accelerator. When activated, this will propel two beams of ionized particles at near lightspeeds in opposite directions. When they collide, a rip in space-time will generate several micrograms of anti-matter, an extremely combustable substance which explodes, or annihilates, the moment it comes into contact with any type of matter. Once past the armor of its target, these missiles detonate, the resulting annihilation destroying all nearby matter. This should destroy, or at least severely damage the target. The crew members maimed, most of them dead, and their ship all but destroyed at best, any attacking vessel would have no choice but to abort their mission, thus preventing an inner battle for control of the base.

Guest Azrael
Much better, won't fully review it now but will soon. For now, don't say "the larger landing craft commonly seen these days", it sounds kinda trivial, as if seen an UFO is like seeing a dog on the street, I know that for the X-corps its a weekly thing to face the aliens, but don't make it sound that common for them.

well i would like to see what Azrael hands you.

But at first glance, i would say maybe further/some explanation as to why computer targeting systems arn't used. Particularly in the case when the "gunner" has become fatigued.

edit.. maybe just add "Can only be controlled by"

Edited by RustedSoul

Guest Azrael

^_^ There, I found some time, here's my review.

With the discovery of alien alloys have come an abundance of stronger ships and armor. Ever since their discovery, our scientists have discussed various ways of using them on a large scale. Now that alien ships are actively searching for our bases, in the effort and destroy them, this topic has become, instead, a search for a more effective base defense against an invasion force. Previously, our first line of defense has been the use of missile defenses designed to shoot down attacking craft prior to landing. Unfortunately, time has shown these turrets relatively ineffective against the larger landing craft which are so commonly seen these days. Using a hybrid of alien and human materials, our scientists have just now found a solution to this enigma.

-- I don't think that "an abundance" is correct, few new aircraft were developed with the new technology, not "abundance".

I still believe that you should *at least* mention laser and plasma defenses, which are developed before fusion defenses, and not to say that missile batteries are "relatively ineffective" against bigger craft, they are ineffective, simply ineffective, they're too weak against the more powerful ships to cause significant damage, and say that laser and plasma, though still relatively useful, are also not effective enough against the new alien vessels.

It's not so much of an *enigma*, actually it's not an *enigma* at all, it is a *problem* or an *interrogant*.

Based on alien blaster bombs, these new projectiles are capable of penetrating the heaviest armor with ease. Nicknamed fusion balls, these highly advanced missiles are guided by a complex navigation system which controls the warhead with the gunner's own mind. This gives them unmatched accuracy in downing targets, but also fatigues the user to a point where only a couple shots may be fired before passing out. Due to the complexity of the control equiptment, only one gunner may man a single defensive module before the hostile invasion force is deployed and it is too late. Despite this, our new fusion ball defenses have proven in computer simulations they can provide far better defense than any previous modules in destroying any threat to our bases.

If you use a mind control system, I strongly suggest that you make a reference to the mind control systems discovered in the Alien Navigation.

The outer shell of a fusion ball is coated with a new substance created from molecularly bonding strips of alien alloys, layered with Teflon. Armed with these incredibly dense warheads, fusion balls can slip through armor easily. Inside this coat of armor lies a minute particle wave accelerator. When activated, this will propel two beams of ionized particles at near lightspeeds in opposite directions. When they collide, a rip in space-time will generate several micrograms of anti-matter, an extremely combustable substance which explodes, or annihilates, the moment it comes into contact with any type of matter. Once past the armor of its target, these missiles detonate, the resulting annihilation destroying all nearby matter. This should destroy, or at least severely damage the target. The crew members maimed, most of them dead, and their ship all but destroyed at best, any attacking vessel would have no choice but to abort their mission, thus preventing an inner battle for control of the base.

Interesting description, just move "Armed with these incredibly dense warheads, fusion balls can slip through armor easily." to another paragraph, it is out of place, you are talking about what's inside the warhead but in the middle is this comment, and then you keep talking about the warhead, just move it to after the explanation of the warhead.

I don't get how it works exactly, if it propels two beamos of ionized particles in opposite directions, how to they collide?, I mean, they are propelling in opposite directions, there is no way they're going to actually collide, you get my point?

And, if the antimatter makes things explode or be destroyed, isn't there a danger of making the missile explode before the impact?

Edited by Azrael

Dude. These two ion beams are racing around a circular track at near light-speed. OF COURSE THEY'RE GOING TO COLLIDE! Anyway, they larger UFO's aren't nearly weekly, nor are they fewer. Let me put it this way. On one of my games, I was fine, shooting down scouts of all sizes, hurrah. . .then came the big ships. Within an hour, a large and two very large ships landed in my backyard (in the game, duh), and all I had were interceptors with Avalanche + Stingray combos! From that point on, I got a large ship every few hours, with large scouts in between.

As another note to this topic, I rarely see dogs in the park.

Missile defenses aren't totally ineffective against large UFO's, it's just that most of us put other module on our bases. I once tried testing this, and armed my only base with an access lift, hanger, living, lab, etc, and. . .15 missile defenses. It was on superhuman, and I was able to keep it up for several months (with help from util), shooting down every ufo in sight. Never went on crash site investigations, took to long, thus defeating the purpose. Anyway, a ship finally tried to land, and my missile defenses took him down with ease (well, I don't know about ease, but they took the bugger down, anyway).

As I said before, they may not have researched laser/plasma defenses yet, so I can't put anything about them in the fusion ball defense X-Net entry. Is the research tree completed, I'm going to have to reference to it to work out the little stuff here. Such as if they've research alien nav yet. S'pose they'd have to, for the rest to work out. I mean, fusion balls are an off-spring of blaster bombs, which require nav. . .don't they? Or is this still a "well, they do now" thing?

Guest Azrael
Dude.  These two ion beams are racing around a circular track at near light-speed.  OF COURSE THEY'RE GOING TO COLLIDE!  Anyway, they larger UFO's aren't nearly weekly, nor are they fewer.  Let me put it this way.  On one of my games, I was fine, shooting down scouts of all sizes, hurrah. . .then came the big ships.  Within an hour, a large and two very large ships landed in my backyard (in the game, duh), and all I had were interceptors with Avalanche + Stingray combos!  From that point on, I got a large ship every few hours, with large scouts in between.

As another note to this topic, I rarely see dogs in the park.

Missile defenses aren't totally ineffective against large UFO's, it's just that most of us put other module on our bases.  I once tried testing this, and armed my only base with an access lift, hanger, living, lab, etc, and. . .15 missile defenses.  It was on superhuman, and I was able to keep it up for several months (with help from util), shooting down every ufo in sight.  Never went on crash site investigations, took to long, thus defeating the purpose.  Anyway, a ship finally tried to land, and my missile defenses took him down with ease (well, I don't know about ease, but they took the bugger down, anyway).

As I said before, they may not have researched laser/plasma defenses yet, so I can't put anything about them in the fusion ball defense X-Net entry.  Is the research tree completed, I'm going to have to reference to it to work out the little stuff here.  Such as if they've research alien nav yet.  S'pose they'd have to, for the rest to work out.  I mean, fusion balls are an off-spring of blaster bombs, which require nav. . .don't they?  Or is this still a "well, they do now" thing?

I don't think you should trivialise UFOs by saying "commonly seen these days", it sounds waay too trivial, and you don't see dogs in the park, dogs are in every park, never seen one without a few dogs around, not even mentioning the street.

Saying weekly was just as saying daily or monthly, i don't care when you detect which craft, I don't know those things, it was to express an idea.

And SORRY but not all of us are science experts, I know what a particle accelerator is, but I didn't even think of how it worked the moment I read your work, please explain that it makes the go around for those players who are not as smart as you.

If you need 15 missile defenses to take down large ufos, I'd call that pretty ineffective :P .

Not sure on that navigation thing, I don't know if you need it to research Fusion, just thought that a player in this stage of the game would have researched navigation already, but i don't know if its necessary, but the whole mind controlled devices and such come from alien navigation, it's all explained there, I'll consult Master Dipstick or Master RustedSoul :master:

edit, please change "gunner" to something like "operative" or "technician". Also, it would be better if psi controlled was replaced by computer targeting with waypoints entered by the "operative/gunner/technician". However, if you want it to be psi controlled, you could say that the operative enters waypoints into the computer as such. But he might as well just use a mouse and keyboard (or move the mouse with his mind ;) ).

edit 2 by RS, The tech tree was from memory, still in development, so if it's still as such it will soon become a priority to hash it out- hopefully soon. Alien guidance systems (I suppose alien navigation) are used by the actual Fusion ball. By using my limited logic, i'd say they will probably be/become a requirement. At this stage I suggest you don't mention anything about other defences or weapons. Have the text completely about fusion.... best to stay safe and don't stray from that.

Edited by RustedSoul

And SORRY but not all of us are science experts, I know what a particle accelerator is, but I didn't even think of how it worked the moment I read your work, please explain that it makes the go around for those players who are not as smart as you.

Sorry if I confused you. A particle accelerator. . .a titanium, hollow "donut" (torus?), circumfrence is usually around several miles (though by the time of the X-Corps, they should have been able to reduce it. Anyway, present-day, these things are like SpaceShipOne, fusion power plants, etc.). At one point in this track, two streams of sub-atomic particles are inserted and propelled at ultra-fast speeds in different directions. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the method of propulsion is some kind of magnetic field. Anyway, they'll be much more advanced by the time of the game's setting (if not, we can say the world got caught up with other things, and was too busy to advance our technology -_- ). So, complicated story short, they collide head-on, bug boom, anti-matter is created. Big Bang in a bottle.

If you need 15 missile defenses to take down large ufos, I'd call that pretty ineffective :P .

My point exactly. Pretty ineffective. A.K.A. relatively ineffective.

I'll consult Master Dipstick or Master RustedSoul :master:

BTW, I PMed dippy on the whole "unofficial nickname" topic. He said he didn't mind, so feel free to do so. The thing that disturbed me was that he also said, quote, "everyone else does". Are you guys talking about me behind my back?

edit, please change "gunner" to something like "operative" or "technician". Also, it would be better if psi controlled was replaced by computer targeting with waypoints entered by the "operative/gunner/technician". However, if you want it to be psi controlled, you could say that the operative enters waypoints into the computer as such. But he might as well just use a mouse and keyboard (or move the mouse with his mind ;) ).

How about the guy mentally uses a mouse/keyboard? But what if he didn't know how to type! Waypoints? Change to operative? Maybe operator instead, but otherwise sure, why not? Can it wait 'til this evening? This computer's on the fritz, probably'll be normal later.

edit 2 by RS, The tech tree was from memory, still in development, so if it's still as such it will soon become a priority to hash it out- hopefully soon. Alien guidance systems (I suppose alien navigation) are used by the actual Fusion ball. By using my limited logic, i'd say they will probably be/become a requirement. At this stage I suggest you don't mention anything about other defences or weapons. Have the text completely about fusion.... best to stay safe and don't stray from that.

Sure, tell me what there was off-topic, and I'll get rid of it.

Guest Azrael

Sorry if I confused you. A particle accelerator. . .a titanium, hollow "donut" (torus?), circumfrence is usually around several miles (though by the time of the X-Corps, they should have been able to reduce it. Anyway, present-day, these things are like SpaceShipOne, fusion power plants, etc.). At one point in this track, two streams of sub-atomic particles are inserted and propelled at ultra-fast speeds in different directions. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the method of propulsion is some kind of magnetic field. Anyway, they'll be much more advanced by the time of the game's setting (if not, we can say the world got caught up with other things, and was too busy to advance our technology -_- ). So, complicated story short, they collide head-on, bug boom, anti-matter is created. Big Bang in a bottle.

I'm well aware of how a particle accelerator works, had to study it, but my point is that not everyone know how it works and won't understand how to beams in opposite directions will ever collide, just make a small reference.

My point exactly. Pretty ineffective. A.K.A. relatively ineffective.

relatively sounds to me like "they are not as powerful as they used to be, but with two or three of them, you can take down anything", 15 is a large number for a facility.

I'll consult Master Dipstick or Master RustedSoul :master:

BTW, I PMed dippy on the whole "unofficial nickname" topic. He said he didn't mind, so feel free to do so. The thing that disturbed me was that he also said, quote, "everyone else does". Are you guys talking about me behind my back?

I don't understand what dipstick has said that disturbed you, please be clear and I may answer if I can. Not getting paranoid, are you? ^_^

How about the guy mentally uses a mouse/keyboard? But what if he didn't know how to type! Waypoints? Change to operative? Maybe operator instead, but otherwise sure, why not? Can it wait 'til this evening? This computer's on the fritz, probably'll be normal later.

Operator sounds fine. I think that there is no real need for the operator to mentally target the ufo if a targeting computer can do an unmatched job, but psi control sounds better in the case the operator creates waypoints, like the blaster launcher (I know the bl doesn't need psi, but with a defense facility it gets a little different).

Sure, tell me what there was off-topic, and I'll get rid of it.

Just remember that psionic control over weapons and ships has a lot (everything, I'd say) to do with Alien Navigation, but as RustedSoul has suggested, maybe you should put it on standby until we get a word on the tech tree. It is my humble opinion that it should be a requirement and that it should be included in this ct, we'll have to wait, however.

Edited by Azrael

Version 3:

Faced with the growing threat of larger and more powerful alien craft designed to locate and destroy our bases, base defense has become one of our primary concerns. Previously, we have used mounted turrets such as missile defensive modules to ward off hostile landing craft, but these relatively primitive defenses have proved to be ineffective against these new UFO's. Now that we have a nearly complete understanding of alien alloys and their uses, both offensive and defensive, our scientists have been able to create a large-scale weapon based on this technology.

Based largely on advanced alien missile systems known as "blaster bombs", these new "fusion balls" are able to pierce through the toughest armor with utmost ease. They are equipped with an alien navigation system which allows the operator to mentally set waypoints for the projectile to follow to its target, resulting in unmatched accuracy. Because this steps are set with the user's mind, they can be placed and the missile launched almost instantly. Even while the fusion ball is in mid-flight, the operator retains limited control over its flight path, enabling the missile to track its target. However, this direct mind-to-missile system has its disadvantages. Due to its complexity, only one person may man a single station before a UFO breaches the base's perimeter, allowing time enough for a single shot to be fired before it is too late.

A fusion ball is created from two main parts: an outer, armor-piercing shell, and the inner, explosive warhead. The outer layer is made from dozens of strips of alien alloys molecularly welded together to form an incredibly dense material. Too add to its armor-piercing abilities, this is then coated with anti-friction Teflon, and shaped for greater aerodynamics. With this dense, yet slippery surface, a fusion ball can almost slide through a UFO's armor.

The internal combustion mechanisms are much more complex than the outer shell. It consists of a minute particle wave accelerator, a hollow torus which inserts two beams of ionized particles and, with the use of electromagnetic fields, propels them in opposite directions at near light-speed. At such high speeds, a collision is inevitable within several nano-seconds. At this point, the immense energy stored at such a small point is spontaneously released, created a minute but deadly amount of anti-matter. Anti-matter's unique property to annihilate itself and all surround matter the instant it comes into contact with any form of matter allows it to utterly disintegrate the portion of hull around it makes this lethal to any craft that falls victim to its annihilation. The magnetic propulsion system used to accelerate the fusion ball's twin particle beams is automatically activated 0.02 seconds after the initial impact, ensuring that the warhead in imbedded deep within a target's hull at the moment of combustion.

The fusion ball's deadly combination of alien alloys and anti-matter will be devastating for any foe, no matter the size. With these new weapons guarding our bases, we are protected from all but the most determined attack, further narrowing the odds against us in this inter-species war.

there appears to be some confliction here.

Based largely on advanced alien missile systems known as "blaster bombs", these new "fusion balls" are able to pierce through the toughest armor with utmost ease

in short, basically "Blaster bomb" (copyrite) inspired fusion ball (Xenocide)

so a suggestion to fix and seperate them to some degree, probably try something like.

Based on the current knowledge of alien fusion technology, scientists have altered the [fusion ball] design for use in these defences. These new designs are specifically catered to combat the toughest UFO armor with utmost ease.

i'm sure you can phrase it better though. :)

edit.... never too late for a smiley

Edited by RustedSoul

Technically, it isn't alien fusion technology. And the alien missiles are called fusion balls, the hand-held ones are call blaster bombs. We'll have to change the name of both of them, obviously. What about. . .

. . .With our knowledge of advanced alien missiles known as s,our scientists have slightly altered and magnified their navigation unit for use in these advanced turrets. These new designs are specifically catered to combat the toughest UFO armor with utmost ease. . .

Maybe call them Annihilator missiles, named for their whole anti-matter thing? Or is that too similar to the X-Com3 craft, the Annihilator?

Technically, it isn't alien fusion technology.  And the alien missiles are called fusion balls, the hand-held ones are call blaster bombs.  We'll have to change the name of both of them, obviously.  What about. . .

. . .With our knowledge of advanced alien missiles known as <whatever whomever did the blaster bomb entry wants it to be called>s,our scientists have slightly altered and magnified their navigation unit for use in these advanced turrets. These new designs are specifically catered to combat the toughest UFO armor with utmost ease. . .

Maybe call them Annihilator missiles, named for their whole anti-matter thing?  Or is that too similar to the X-Com3 craft, the Annihilator?

Names have already been chosen, Tsevere, the name for the blaster launcher/bomb is Fusion launcher/ Fusion bomb. So it is alien fusion technology.

Names have already been chosen, Tsevere, the name for the blaster launcher/bomb is Fusion launcher/ Fusion bomb. So it is alien fusion technology.

Which is something I still don't quite get...

I mean, if anyone reads the CTD I put together for the fusion launcher/ fusion bomb, I'm pretty sure they won't find any indication of a process that could be called fusion... :huh:

So right now, I'm pretty much wondering what to do about it... should I rewrite it to fit with the name(In which case it just feels too boring to me, I mean, come on, we humans can and have designed fusion weapons already...)?

Oh well... In any case, I feel like dropping the fusion bomb and launcehr to whoever feels like taking over at this rate...

Just stating what has already been decided, it's in the top floor. I'm not sure if you should rewrite your ct to make it fit, please consult RustedSoul or dipstick.

Version 3 REVISED

Faced with the growing threat of larger and more powerful alien craft designed to locate and destroy our bases, base defense has become one of our primary concerns. Previously, we have used mounted turrets such as missile defensive modules to ward off hostile landing craft, but these relatively primitive defenses have proved to be ineffective against these new UFOs. Now that we have a nearly complete understanding of alien alloys and their uses, both offensive and defensive, our scientists have been able to create a large-scale weapons system based on this technology.

Based largely on advanced alien missile systems known as "blaster bombs", these new "fusion balls" are able to pierce through the toughest armor with utmost ease. They are equipped with an alien navigation system, which allows the operator to mentally set waypoints for the projectile to follow to its target, resulting in unmatched accuracy. Because these steps are set with the user's mind, they can be placed and the missile launched almost instantly. Even while the fusion ball is in mid-flight, the operator retains limited control over its flight path, enabling the missile to track its target. However, this direct mind-to-missile system has its disadvantages. Due to its complexity, only one person may man a single station before a UFO breaches the base's perimeter, allowing time enough for a single shot to be fired before it is too late.

The mental guidance is for the much smaller blaster bombs (fusion bombs), not the much larger fusion missiles. These missiles have enough space to equip a self-guided missile missile, independent from the time it is launched. This is more realistic because remember these fusion missiles are traveling at speeds so great it would take huge amounts of space for a human to change direction, and it takes a long time to set waypoints aiming for a rapidly landing alien craft.

A fusion ball is created from two main parts: an outer, armor-piercing shell, and the inner, explosive warhead. The outer layer is made from dozens of strips of alien alloys molecularly welded together to form an incredibly dense material. Too add to its armor-piercing abilities, this is then coated with anti-friction Teflon, and shaped for greater aerodynamics. With this dense, yet slippery surface, a fusion ball can almost slide through a UFO's armor.

nothing wrong here

The internal combustion mechanisms are much more complex than the outer shell. It consists of a minute particle wave accelerator, a hollow torus which inserts two beams of ionized particles and, with the use of electromagnetic fields, propels them in opposite directions at near light-speed. At such high speeds, a collision is inevitable within several nano-seconds. At this point, the immense energy stored at such a small point is spontaneously released, created a minute but deadly amount of anti-matter. Anti-matter's unique property to annihilate itself and all surrounding matter the instant it comes into contact with any form of matter allows it to utterly disintegrate the portion of hull around it makes this lethal to any craft that falls victim to its annihilation. The magnetic propulsion system used to accelerate the fusion ball's twin particle beams is automatically activated 0.02 seconds after the initial impact, ensuring that the warhead in imbedded deep within a target's hull at the moment of combustion.

I don’t know enough about this stuff to say anything about it

The fusion ball's deadly combination of alien alloys and anti-matter will be devastating for any foe, no matter the size. With these new weapons guarding our bases, we are protected from all but the most determined attack, further narrowing the odds against us in this inter-species war.

The mental guidance is for the much smaller blaster bombs (fusion bombs), not the much larger fusion missiles.  These missiles have enough space to equip a self-guided missile missile, independent from the time it is launched.  This is more realistic because remember these fusion missiles are traveling at speeds so great it would take huge amounts of space for a human to change direction, and it takes a long time to set waypoints aiming for a rapidly landing alien craft. 

Well, techinically, the waypoints would be set instantaniously, as it is controlled with the user's mind (for now, at any rate). Therefore, commands would travel at the speed of thought, which is instantanious, and I think the reasoning behind this pretty much speaks for itself.

I was thinking the operator sets 2-3 waypoints the moment the alien craft is within range, then sets more as the UFO moves, zeroing in on its target. The missiles may be traveling fast, but the speed of thought is thousands of times (of course, I don't know the exact numbers ^_^, maybe millions, tens, whatever ) faster than even light, so this would be insignificant.

• 2 weeks later...

Because your mind would be directly connected with the missile, you would "see" what it "sees". Plus maybe some 50 degrees to each side.

Your comment on the person's reactions, however, have gotten me thinking. Very interesting problem. I suppose creating an isolated time warp around the operator and the turret is our of the question? Dang.

Wait, my original mind-to-missile idea works, regardless of reactions! Just think about it. When you are, say, working on a math problem, most of the time used is writing down your stuff. And a large portion of the remainder involves your mind searching itself for any and all possible solutions, or threads of solutions. But if you already have a clear, direct path to the answer, it comes instantly. Same goes for this defense. You instinctively know (or are trained to know) that all you have to do is to get thingy(missile) to big thingy(ship). No others thoughts needed. Just the idea of thingy get thingy. Simple. Go on, get this thought in your head. Imagine a bullet and an apple. Now, how long does it take for you to fully envision the idea of bullet getting apple? Instantanious. Voila.

Imagine a bullet and an apple.  Now, how long does it take for you to fully envision the idea of bullet getting apple?  Instantanious.  Voila.

Yeah, but the ufo will be traveling at very high speeds so it could move to avoid the bomb. Ufo's are supposed to be very fast and manuverable, right?

Due to its much small size. Also, the battleship (or whatever is attacking) carries a lot of extra mass cuz it needs to carry a couple dozen troopers, five or so large terror units, a number of power sources, all that alien food, surgery, and other crap. . .

• 1 month later...
Due to its much small size.  Also, the battleship (or whatever is attacking) carries a lot of extra mass cuz it needs to carry a couple dozen troopers, five or so large terror units, a number of power sources, all that alien food, surgery, and other crap. . .

So, is this on hold or something? :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I've read it, and have some comments:

1. Now's the moment to change the old names to the new ones.

2. Fusion missiles aren't entirely based on Alien composites, they are rather based on the fusion bombs technology.

3. Think of a fluff text, or tell me if you want others to think one for you.

4. Alien Composites are already frictionless (read Alien Composites and XC-2 Starfire for references)

pros for computer guidance:

Easy to design and manufacture, Theoretically faster response time

cons:

Can be fooled relatively easily(countermeasures, ecm and such), can't dodge counterfire.

pros for Mind-Missle-Interface:

Harder to trick(provided operator has a eye's view of what's going on), operator can initiate complex manuvers to throw off counterfire or intercept target

cons:

harder to implement, stressful on operator.

Given that the Fusion Missle has high accuracy, I think that the MMI might be an easier way to explain away the discrepencies between basic missle and fusion missle intercept capabilities.

/me pulls out a chainsaw and gets ready to rip the CT into pieces...

First of all, how big is this missle going to be? Judging from the already modeled Fusion Missle Defence Base Module, the missle would, at the most, be five feet in diameter. Current human tech for particle accelerators that can collide particles hard enough to even create antimatter require huge amounts of energy, and relatively huge cyclic accelerators and long acceleration times.

Even with alien tech, we must still stay relatively within the bounds of reality, and developing a missle that uses particle accelerators to generate anti-matter at time of impact is needlessly complicated. Might as well just use anti-matter stored in a magnetic bottle that releases the anti-matter upon impact. Then again, there's the matter of consistancy with the predecessor. The original Fusion Bomb CT that I worte used a xenium generator to create a miniture blackhole, later revisions by someone else turned it into a gravitic molecular squisher... :huh?: I'm still wondering how that works. However, in both cases, it made use of xenium and/or it's reactor to achieve the effect.

pros for computer guidance:

Easy to design and manufacture, Theoretically faster response time

cons:

Can be fooled relatively easily(countermeasures, ecm and such), can't dodge counterfire.

pros for Mind-Missle-Interface:

Harder to trick(provided operator has a eye's view of what's going on), operator can initiate complex manuvers to throw off counterfire or intercept target

cons:

harder to implement, stressful on operator.

Given that the Fusion Missle has high accuracy, I think that the MMI might be an easier way to explain away the discrepencies between basic missle and fusion missle intercept capabilities.

/me pulls out a chainsaw and gets ready to rip the CT into pieces...

First of all, how big is this missle going to be? Judging from the already modeled Fusion Missle Defence Base Module, the missle would, at the most, be five feet in diameter. Current human tech for particle accelerators that can collide particles hard enough to even create antimatter require huge amounts of energy, and relatively huge cyclic accelerators and long acceleration times.

Even with alien tech, we must still stay relatively within the bounds of reality, and developing a missle that uses particle accelerators to generate anti-matter at time of impact is needlessly complicated. Might as well just use anti-matter stored in a magnetic bottle that releases the anti-matter upon impact. Then again, there's the matter of consistancy with the predecessor. The original Fusion Bomb CT that I worte used a xenium generator to create a miniture blackhole, later revisions by someone else turned it into a gravitic molecular squisher...  :huh?: I'm still wondering how that works. However, in both cases, it made use of xenium and/or it's reactor to achieve the effect.

:Coffee: OMFG I just realized that I ate all the second 'i's in 'missiles' throughout the whole post!