XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Lifting The Battlescape Sky?

FUBAR

I have a bunch of custom maps (will release a map pack soon), and utilities, but I want to make big, tall maps too. I have this "Borg cube" dream, and all I can do is now is a "Borg wafer," yet MapView teases me with it's capability to do taller maps. Is there some way I can hex edit a file, or patch something, or do a few things to make Xcom CE take tall maps? I know this has been done, but no one seems to talk much about overcoming this limitation. I am aware of a possible 10,000 unit max and am not exactly a noob at stuff (XcomUtil, MapView, Etc,) But I want to do like a 20x20x16h (should make a nice cube, 6400 units). Does anyone know how to do this or have a patch (or compatible "merge able" compiled segment) that I can "assimilate" into one of the game files in CE.

Haaaalp!! OMFG

-Fubar

P.S. Also if anyone's interested I wrote an xcuhook1.bat that can swap new .rnd (needs XcomUtil) files into the game in response to changing game conditions (money, date, etc). Lets new maps shuffle into game periodically for variety and increasing difficulty. It does this by analyzing data in various .dat files. It will need to be customized specifically (someday I'll write one that has a full setup, /w selectable options), but the basics are there. It actually could be made to do other stuff to the game too (change weops, stats, etc.), as the game progresses. Let me know and I'll post it. At least it's a good example of how to make the game hack itself.

• 1 month later...