XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Morlock

NOTICE!

As a general informal announcement, we're asking that the various concept threads for the aliens focus more on posting concepts right now, rather than requesting tweaks to other artist's concepts. Rather than taking each concept and tweaking it as it comes in, let's leave it up to the artist to present their idea, and if you'd prefer a change to it, either modify the posted image to show what you mean (and that becomes another concept), or PM the artist about getting the files if that would make it easier to do. Some threads have lots of posts with tiny tweaks to essentially the same concept pic, which makes the contect very cyclic.

Thanks!

Also, please read:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=2355

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I whipped this up while I was supposed to be doing math. Not bad from such a quick doodle. I wanted to accentuate the predatory nature since the concept with all its racial identity surgically removed didnt go over so well..

note that this concept has no mechanical parts or hint at surgical invasion, nor is it wearing anything (as all my aliens start out). I'll go further later on.

Mutonconcept3.jpg

Hmm...

The first pic looks neat. Throw in some cyborg enchancements, heavy armor and weapons and he'll prolly give the player a case of the shakes when they first appear.

The second pic tho, will make we wonder how I went from fighting the aliens to fighting Terminators...

Your predatory concept is great fux! It looks very mean, reminds me a little of the LOTR Uruk'hai!

I think the green colour should span over his neck and back of head as the original. On Deimos' pics it looks more like a green suit now than it's own skin.

I think tzuchan meant the Terminator endoskeleton look to the second pic fux.

I also like the first pic a lot more. I wonder if something like cables coming out of the back of the head or neck like some kind of feeding tube would look cyborg enough? I think a minimalist cyborg would look better than having lots of implants.

I agree with everybody here. The first pic is excellent. I like how you have drawn him keeping human up in the air from the head :D

I think he doesn't have to be green. And it should definitely have some armour plates and stuff. Maybe cyborg eye or something.

I love that new muton! He looks really cool! Kudos to you fux!

That being said, it would be nice if he could have some armor. Not much, kind of like strapped on plates of alien alloys or something.

Also, I am opposed to having any cyborg features in mutons. That is what we have floaters for. And, I feel that mechanical parts would take away from the fear factor. The muton should be raw, primal fury, with internal control impants or something imo.

For the colour I was thinking purple but a purply/blue offwhite colour like an oxygen starved corpse.

I got the terminator reference but I'm not sure I understand the likeness. Oh well, everyone has their own life's experiences, I guess.

Edited by fux0r666

I don't know, the Muton has such thick skin that it really doesn't need any armour to make it less mobile IMO.

I got the terminator reference but I'm not sure I understand the likeness.  Oh well, everyone has their own life's experiences, I guess.

I think he meant the last pic. The robot version of it.

Your predatory concept is great fux! It looks very mean, reminds me a little of the LOTR Uruk'hai!

I just realized how much the Muton actually is like an Orc and came to think how much I percieved the Mutons like Orcs...

Oh, and Fux, superb work.

Edited by Aosar

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a muton that just shows augmentation to it's major muscle groups. I just shortened the legs a bit because they were dramatically longer than the first pic I posted... so it looks like his centre of gravity is quite narrow, consequently. I'm just looking for comments as to the look of the metal bits. I tried to stay away from something that looks too rigidly mechanical.

Ah.. so that's a baraka.

mutonborg.jpg

I was playing with some armour for him but during the development he came out looking a little too much like the protoss from starcraft because of the birdlegged humanoid thing going on with smooth, pointy armour plates. I think that he should have some sort of clothing so as to appear as a sensient being. I'll take another crack at it later.

For some reason I don't think it really needs the extra joint on the legs.

Having both a normal and a reversed kneecap in a normal length leg makes it seem a little strange to me.

The upper body is great though. I really like the primal look to it.

Nice concept Fux0r.

PS: I'm really surprised you don't know Baraka. Haven't you ever played MK2 man? It R0xx0rz :D

For some reason I don't think it really needs the extra joint on the legs.

Having both a normal and a reversed kneecap in a normal length leg makes it seem a little strange to me.

It should be looking like something else than human. If there's life somewhere, I don't think it's anatomy is that similar to humans.

Well, most of the other aliens are different.

I dunno, it seems kind of funny, having the "reversed" joint so high up. Maybe if it were lower...

i thisk may be a silly idea but, as you said, make his skin green and have the purple on his face as war paint... and also we do have to put it across his face in the game, or in purple.

No offense boxershorts, but I think that your bodysuit looks rather like a gymnast's outfit or a ballerina's uniform. (Can't remember its proper name.) Couldn't we have a full body suit? Or even better, a full body suit with small bits of alloy armor?

Fux, that's a very cool concept! I'm partial to no outfit on top, if there's no genitalia to cover up what's the point? If these guys have reinforced cables coming out of their bodies, I doubt a small breeze is going to make them put on a sweater or suddenly feel modest. But war paint would look very cool, and effectively have the same look. They would paint themselves in such a way to act as cammo too, so that could look cool.

Your latest design gets my vote for the short list, great work!

Edit: Facehugger, you're thinking of unitard I believe, that's the 1 piece full body suit. Reminds me too much of superhero suits...

Edited by Breunor

Green color works well I think. Maybe a bit darker though. I'm not too fond to the idea about the pink face though, might look stupid AND would be too close to the original.

Hmm... That's begining to give me ideas for the colors...

Dark green, and I mean REALLY dark green for skin tone, silver with black accents for the visible borg parts, and blood red markings, try to make it look like it was slapped on using the Muton's hands, something like what we sa in LOTR Uruk Hais...

I would offer that the aliens wouldn't be forced to use alien alloys for 100% of their metal items. I think it would look odd as part of an alien's body, or it might be the ever-present nature of the alloys that makes me say pass on it here. Perhaps the alloy doesn't do well inside the body? I don't know, maybe it would look fine.

For paint, I meant something like this, where they have a neutral tone or even a lighter base, with darker swatches to break up the overall biped shape the way cammo should do. Or they could have a naturally dark skin tone, and use lighter lines to break it up.

A suggestion, if the Mutons paint themselfs, shouldn't they paint themselfs with the blood of fallen foes?

yeah, but they've just gotten here in their ships so they haven't got any human blood to paint themselves with and alien blood is green so it wouldn't be much use

Except if they kill one of their own every time before landing :D

I think should just have some signs painted to their skin something like we have tattoos, they have some of their own. Like Teal'c in SG1 has in his forehead.

For paint, I meant something like this, where they have a neutral tone or even a lighter base, with darker swatches to break up the overall biped shape the way cammo should do. Or they could have a naturally dark skin tone, and use lighter lines to break it up.

The example you pointed us to doesn't exactly clear things up... I was thinking that the Mutons would use red paint(In lieu of blood of fallen enemies) as a sort of tribal intimidation thing, not as cammo...

That's fine. The whole point was that the painting isn't for the entire body, just parts of it. Whether it's tattoo or blood, whatever color, doesn't really matter to me. In fact, it's all a model texturing issue for later on rather than a fundamental design characteristic at this point.

At this point, the big question would be does everybody like this latest muton concept enough to call it our official concept? I'd say yes to such a question, including the extra leg joints. I think it makes the alien stand out more from a typical biped, and such a bone structure IMO gives it a more predatory, spring at your target, look. I'd be happy with just the single joint version of the legs fux made earlier as well, but like this "mechanically enhanced" version better than the pure beast version's body.

A suggestion, if the Mutons paint themselfs, shouldn't they paint themselfs with the blood of fallen foes?

To absorb the life force of their enemies.

We could do an animation where a Muton plunges his hand through a fallen troopers chest and rips his heart out and paints himself with it.