7 replies to this topic

#1 Papa Legba

Papa Legba

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

Playing the CE-Gold edition of UFO Defense, with F0dder's loader under windows XP. I've had this bug with numerous other configs of the CE, though-- every one I've tried, I think.

Whenever the snakemen move, or the Kidney Bean Celatid moves, the slithering sound they make is overlaid by random explosion sounds. Friends report the same thing.

Any known fix for this? I'm not sure, but I think the DOS sound didn't fix it.

Edited by Papa Legba, 28 November 2005 - 06:19 PM.

#2 testarossa

testarossa

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

Yup, don't know about a fix but I was pretty sure this only happened when they were under psionic control? It really doesn't effect the game much, in fact I think its hilarious so I never tried to fix it :D . There is a alien voices patch that might change the slither noise back to the original.

#3 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

Indeed, the explosion sound only happens when you psionically control Snakemen or Celatids. I don't think any other aliens have this peculiar sound effect when under X-COM control except for the Zombie. Still, like testarossa said, itís actually kinda funny. LOL

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#4 Papa Legba

Papa Legba

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:27 PM

I hear the explosion sounds every time I'm in line to see them actually move. Granted, this happens most frequently when they're MC'ed, but if I spy them moving on their own turn, I hear it then too.

Indeed, the explosion sound only happens when you psionically control Snakemen or Celatids. I don't think any other aliens have this peculiar sound effect when under X-COM control except for the Zombie. Still, like testarossa said, itís actually kinda funny.  LOL

- Zombie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

Right you are. During X-COM's reaction period between rounds, your troopers can hear the explosion sounds if the alien is visible. B)

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#6 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:05 AM

That's happening becuase the game's expecting more of the same sound sample than there actually is in the sample file. So it's playing over the move sound, hitting the data in between the sounds, then bleeding into the next sound in the sample file until it thinks it has everything it needs.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#7 Papa Legba

Papa Legba

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

Are these samples in separate files that could be individually manipulated? If so, one could pad out the sample with silence to prevent this.

I suspect that if they're all in one file, not much can be done since padding out one sample with silence would screw up the offsets for everything after it.

That's happening because the game's expecting more of the same sound sample than there actually is in the sample file. So it's playing over the move sound, hitting the data in between the sounds, then bleeding into the next sound in the sample file until it thinks it has everything it needs.

- NKF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by Papa Legba, 02 December 2005 - 04:21 PM.

#8 Uta Heinsch

Uta Heinsch

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:27 AM

Are these samples in separate files that could be individually manipulated?  If so, one could pad out the sample with silence to prevent this.

I suspect that if they're all in one file, not much can be done since padding out one sample with silence would screw up the offsets for everything after it.

That's happening because the game's expecting more of the same sound sample than there actually is in the sample file. So it's playing over the move sound, hitting the data in between the sounds, then bleeding into the next sound in the sample file until it thinks it has everything it needs.

- NKF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm getting the same effect and, while it is not game-impacting, it does take away from the enjoyment as it serves as a constant reminder of a bug. NKF, any idea what can be done about this?

- Uta

Reply to this topic