XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Talk...

GDD

Actually one thing I have always wondered is why can't the x-com talk to civilians, tell them to stay out of harms way etc in a battle scape.

Ie just being able to talk to people in light of sight, or next to you.

Edited by GDD

Interaction with NPCs is sometimes interesting to me and its been awhile since I've played a game where thats been done well. In the context of X-COM though, I think if used it all it should be pretty basic, I mean, you are in a rush and that civ is in your way :)

It would be nice to give them an order to wait in a certain area of the map you'd just explored though, to keep them out of harms way. Kinda like if you directed them under MC, you just designate a waypoint and its pathfinding thing takes him there the best way it can after you spoke to them -"Help, Help, where can I hide?" ok, I suck at writing dialogue :)

Some might be scared, others might have information..."Saw something with tentacles sligthering that way. Good luck with that, I'd like to stay, but I got a thing..." *looks at wrist watch abesent mindedly but there's no watch on his wrist, then leaves whistling to himself*

Well, hopefully they'd move in the opposite direction then where he told you to go so you wouldn't have to plot his waypoint for him :)

Yeah, the language barrier would mean we'd have to take care of the languages each soldier talks (hence, an "Translator" carreer? ^_^), and the Civie telling us where he saw something would be nice, but the BARE MINIMUM would be for us to tell them to "Get down" on the floor...

Anyone will answer to such a gesture when it's done by a heavy plasma guy in power armor...

Yeah, well, no armor or personnal armors are less likely to be taken as hostile, but Power armors should.., Then again, as specified in another forum, the new power armors will have a transparent full-face, so at least the civies will see our guys are human...

But they should start running the other way screaming if there's an alien in front of them...

• 2 months later...
Also, don't you think aliens would figure out human language and listen to radio transmission between guys? I knoe 128 bit encryption is nearly impossible for humans to hack, but aliens should not have a problem. This would increase the usefulness of psychic skills, sinc eyou could now communicate psionically.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, while being able to issue instructions to non player characters is an excellent idea, I wouldn't like to see the game being filled with actual dialogue. I mean, I'm sure we'd all want to spend most of our time on the action rather than reading reams and reams of dialogue!

Well, more to the point, let's make the dialogue abstract.

Let's say you can issue comands by broadcasting the command or directing it to one particular individual. The broadcast command is easy enough, it gets everyone in the area who hears the command to do whatever it is you want them to do (the default command, shouldn't require a click to activate). Issueing a command to a particular indivual will of course be for those occasions where you want a specific unit, say a guard to defend an area or a specific alien to surrender (assuming it is willing and it can understand you).

The commands would be simple. Something like "Move to" (to send people to a safe area or to simply flee), "Attack", "Shout" (for distracting), "Help!", "Intimidate" (lowering morale of the more timid aliens), "Surrender!", "I surrender" and etc, etc, just to name few examples.

Targeted orders would need several clicks. First to select the person to order and then the target of the order. Some commands would bring up a yes/no dialogue such as if the aliens demand that you surrender.

Of course, the success of quite a number of the commands should also have a check to see whether or not it's successful. You can't just automatically expect an alien to surrender when asked, or else the game would be too easy! :) Various factors, like the unit's knowledge of languages (maybe a simple percentage) and translation tools, the target's mental state and perhaps hostility.

- NKF

Actually I meant communication between soldiers. This would be a setting on 'radio' chatter. For example, open chatter means you instantly transmit siteings and such over the radio and positions. Listeners know what you know about them.

Priority chatter means that only info asked for is given. Still can be compromising.

Silence means that all info is by hand signal. Good for when the aliens are listening.