XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Artwork Department Headquarters

Serge

In 640x480 resolution, which is the minimum supported by UFO2000, and with the tile size of 64x80, it would be the same as playing the original X-Com in 320x200 (or like playing the u2k beta with the 2x scaling algorithm turned on). Yes, you would see less of the battlefield at once than now, but that never was a problem in X-Com. I think the closer view actually makes the game feel more atmospheric and intimate.

I completely agree with your statements concerning the closer view provided the original resolution: it gave more atmosphere to the game and a sense of attachment to it. My original impression regarding UFO2000 was that the original resolution should be used (I think i made a post somewhere...), which the 2x scaling provided.

However, concerning UFO2000 I would say that both views should exist. I haven't really used 2x scaling so far on my beta games for 2 reasons: first, I haven't got used to the smoothing of the surfaces that it makes for the graphics. And second, the larger view is much better for planning your moves and executing them. It really helps if you see the big picture while playing with a human opponent.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Making all sprites both in 32x40 and 64x80 just wouldn't be practical, but perhaps some sort of solution could be reached using scaling... Like having the tiles in 64x80 and adding a zoom feature that would allow the player to zoom in and out smoothly using the mousewheel. I seem to remember Laser Squad Nemesis does this, pretty useful feature too. The question is, whether anyone can be bothered to code it in... ;)

EDIT: Jezulkim, did you take the original photo of the Moon yourself? If so, then no problem, if not, state the source. There could be copyright issues there, if you're using someone else's photo.

Out of the edited versions I like the first one best, even though it kinda makes it look like Moon has an atmosphere :P. I could totally see it used as a background picture for some screen of minor importance, like end of battle maybe. (I'd like something flashier for the more prominent screens tho.)

Edited by nappes

ya know , adding simple 3D models would solve alot of these problems (and create more) since the sprites can be replicated in 3D with no copyright infingement. Scaling would be super easy since the models are all mathematically defined and it would also aid the graphics artists because we wouldnt need to make 72000 (ok so im exaggerating a little) different sprites, we simply add some sort of animation to the models.

Of course its probably not practical at the moment but if it was , you could even make the models move the same as Xcom sprites.

Not saying it "should" be done or that it should be forced on our overworked programmers but it is a thought to consider. but what does eveyone else think?

i could fix this, by reducing the with of the stairs by exactly that amount which is the width of the wall...

stairs and walls would fit together perfectly than, BUT if you place two stairs next to each other, there would be a gap then.

the only way to fix that problem too, is to make an additional tyle type. either we need two different types of stairs with different widths: one for stand-alone use, and one for use next to walls... or we have a stair-shaped piece of wall to fill the gap in the midst of two stairs...

problem.png

The better solution of the two you mention is the first one. That is, make another version of the staircase with a few pixels chopped off from the other side to accommodate for the wall. With the "stair-shaped wall" solution, wide staircases could look weird when partially destroyed.

Actually we could either play with the stairway width, or the wall height

The wall heigth gives us a lot more problems so this is totally out of question.

Stairway width is not looking bad IMHO But since it's mostly copy paste, I think the two stairs width for wall/no wall is by far the best solution.

BTW, I'd like to make everyone notice that in the template, there are two stairs angles not used in the game...

We never have a stair going up towards us in X-com or Ufo original terrains.

I just want to make sure we won't have any bugs with those.

stairs.gif

stairs2.gif

BTW, I'd like to make everyone notice that in the template, there are two stairs angles not used in the game...

We never have a stair going up towards us in X-com or Ufo original terrains.

i did mention the two additional stair types, and i did ask if this is okay...

a new version with fixed walls (absolutely seamless fit guaranteed ^^),

with the smaller stairs and also with stairs looking the other two directions. (not sure about them... you want to use 'em?)

post-3210-1132053737_thumb.png

if they make any trouble or if its just hard to notice that these are stairs, they should of course be removed again.

Edited by Llyr

ya know , adding simple 3D models would solve alot of these problems (and create more) since the sprites can be replicated in 3D with no copyright infingement. Scaling would be super easy since the models are all mathematically defined and it would also aid the graphics artists because we wouldnt need to make 72000 (ok so im exaggerating a little) different sprites, we simply add some sort of animation to the models.

Of course its probably not practical at the moment but if it was , you could even make the models move the same as Xcom sprites.

Yeah, 3D sure would have some very real benefits, besides the obvious "eye candy" factor. Like you said, animation would be less of a chore, we could also relatively easily add stuff like running, crawling, jumping, climbing etc. without having to draw a single animation frame manually. However, it would all require a lot of work to implement, and not just from the coders... someone would need to make the models and textures too. Scaling shouldn't be that difficult in 2D either, since Allegro, the graphics library UFO2000 uses, has built-in scaling features. Dunno if using them would be too much of hit to frame rates though, the ability to use hardware acceleration would also be a benefit of 3D.

I have no idea how people would welcome the shift to 3D graphics. I think it could be cool, on the other hand, old-school 2D graphics certainly have their appeal over poorly done 3D, so if we want to go 3D, we'd better do it right. Still, if Serge and the other coders are willing to do it, I sure would be interested in testing my gmax / blender skillz in some low-poly character modelling... :)

But yes, probably not practical, more developers would be needed.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am interested in helping with the artwork department on this. I am an animator and graphic designer. How can I be of help.

Hi there, why don't you show us something you have done, or tell about your abilities, to get a better idea what kind of tasks would be suitable for you. Are you good in pixel art, or do you work on a larger scale? 2D / 3D? Currently there is most demand for background graphics to be used in the menus, but new units / weapons / terrains / whatever are always welcome too, so there is a variety of stuff you can get yourself into, depending on your skills and interests.

Hi there !!! I know ive been abducted for a while, but IM BACK !!!! :)

Regarding this post, i have the site finished, for ufo 2000 and i am waiting for a reply to put it on line. What have been happening in my absent for me to upgrade it, if necessary ?!? Thanks

Samsam

i did mention the two additional stair types, and i did ask if this is okay...

if they make any trouble or if its just hard to notice that these are stairs, they should of course be removed again.

Sorry I missed that. I tend to keep up with the forums instead of being a regular reader.

So I read fast and don't always notice every detail.

Anyway... thanks for the templates.

I have no idea how people would welcome the shift to 3D graphics. I think it could be cool, on the other hand, old-school 2D graphics certainly have their appeal over poorly done 3D, so if we want to go 3D, we'd better do it right. Still, if Serge and the other coders are willing to do it, I sure would be interested in testing my gmax / blender skillz in some low-poly character modelling... :)

Remember diablo?

Renderings at different angles­.

It would be pretty easy to make simple 3D models with texture, the basic positions and animations.

Then you render each frame at the desired angle with an isometric POV.

I already used this method to make leg references for my units when they walk. Then I pixel-paint em over

I think it's up to every character-designer to make their sprites the way they want.

You want to draw them by hand, scan and color... good for you.

You prefer rendering 3D models... go for it.

You want to draw them from scratch in mspaint then cry for PNG transparency... okay.

If we implemented 3D it would be mostly a start over from scratch. The game engine would be pretty different. But nothing forbids us to make 2D graphics from 3D models.

there are many benefits to 3D, maybe too many to ignore. If its possible, we could decide on some spec for 3D models and texturing and make a full array of models, apart from the obvious (use them in a 3D supporting ufo2k) we can do what the cunning guys who made Doom64 did, create some hi-def models and sinple snap some bmps in different positions (is that what u were saying Nachtwolf? if so ignore this bit). this would work two fold by allowing the graphics team to quickly develop more characters in 2-d but also to allow for future implementation of 3D mesh's. 3D models can also be made to fake 2-d Styles with heavy outlining around a unit and purposefull jerky movement.

some other things this would acheive would be the ability (with some code) to allow players to change thier battlescape POV, thus , the idea about positioning the minimap would no lionger b an issue. it would also allow for a more fluid tactic layer to be added IE its nice to be able to get at eye level behind a unit so you can see exactly what he see's and you can guage his cover /risk a lot better.

Being impractical at the moment, it might be possible to see if we can get a substitue engine in which to model (maybe even a texturing engine to render some cooler maps that although look cool , still retain the Xcom feel (no 3D architecture or slopes but a general 3D feel))

An 3D map would also open new possibliities for map generation sch as an independant battlescape mapping engine and pre-defined tiles (in the form of Xcom style tiles) that can be used in a map editor to allow mappers to make some cool maps easily

What say you graphic team? do you think it wise to pre emptively begin some simple mesh's for future use and if such a time should arise that 3D support is enabled, use them in game?

I think its a good idea (i wanna try some 3D modelling too :P) but only to the point that it doesnt detract from ufo2k's development (we dont all run away to model 3D units etc)

BEFORE ANYTHING LIKE THIS SHOULD EVER HAPPEN WE NEED TO GET THE GUI UP TO SCRATCH!!!!! :)

Edited by Sporb

BEFORE ANYTHING LIKE THIS SHOULD EVER HAPPEN WE NEED TO GET THE GUI UP TO SCRATCH!!!!! :)

I really agree. it's about time we fix this. The GUI works but it's far from functionnal.

@The_animator: Well, maybe you could look at Jezulkim's moon picture posted above, and see if you could make a useable background picture out of it (for the end of battle screen). Perhaps add some HUD-like overlay on it, pointing out bases and other "points of interest", sorta make it look like a strategic display or something. Just an idea, if you have something better in your mind, go ahead and use your artistic license.

Nice Picture. Let me get some details before I start. What size do you want it? When you say to point out bases, you mean bases that might be on the moon correct? I think it might be cool if I make it look like the moon has cities like when you are looking at the dark side of earth from space you see the cities all spread out like spiderwebs. THan add the Hud- overlay like you suggested and make it seem like we are targeting the moon somehow. Let me know the specs and i'll get it done. Also do you want it to look realistic or cartooney.

The exact size doesn't really matter as the picture can be downscaled according to need, but make it at least 800x600. I'm not sure what "cartooney" could mean in this instance... The idea with the HUD overlay was really just to make the picture have a little more "something" to it than just a circular moon in the middle of nothingness. It shouldn't be anything too distracting as it's just a background so I guess "realistic" is closer to my intentions. Edited by nappes

Keep in mind that this is supposed to be a background for one of the most text-intensive screens in the game: The end of battle screen, which lists the statistics for the last battle, including remaining soldiers, heroics worthy of mention etc. Not to mention there may be even more statistics added in the future. So any text in the background, however unreadable gibberish, may distract from the relevant information on the foreground.

So I think it would be best to either remove the text completely and add more of the abstract geometrical stuff, or reduce the contrast between the text and other parts of the image. Also reducing the contrast between the overlay and the photo below as well as adding some bluish or greenish tint on the whole picture could make it more "background-like".

I have no complaints about the particular font used, actually I thought the Chinese(?) writing was a nice touch, at least better than using Aurebesh(which is from Star Wars, FYI ;)

Oh yeah, I also notice there is one of those hateful "lens flares" lurking in one of the corners. I have no particular fondness for that effect. Get rid of it.

The Futhark is runic, which is from Earth and might look funny if used by Aliens :)

About the text being too distracting, maybe reducing the brightness of the text would solve that problem.

Try Korean :P

But I have to agree with Nappes, text on the background is not a very good idea for that screen.

2Llyr: Current sprites dimentions (just the same as in x-com) are 32x40, some more details are here: http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/techinfo.txt

A template for map tiles made for this dimention created by nappes can be found here: http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view.php?id=182

If we are going to use twice that size in the future, sprites dimentions will be 64x80, tile templates still need to be done. But we also need to modify the game engine somewhat and add a setting to use these new map tile dimentions, otherwise testing of the new tiles will be impossible.

2nappes: Thanks for these new sprites. I have been a bit lazy for the last few days and got out of the flow somewhat (partially influenced by the temporarily inaccessibility of the bugtracker, sources repository, etc.). I will try make a new beta release using the new sprites on the next weekend (maybe even sooner, but no promises ;)).

I like the idea of using sprites twice as large, and twice as large map tiles as well.

if the coding is implimented, the old tiles can just be enlarged temporarily so that each pixel is actually made of 4 pixels, the detail could be added at a gradual pace in this way.

I think it would also be nice to add the option of having animation frames for an attack sequence . in case someone wanted to show an arm or tenticle or whatever attacking, instead of just an attack sound.. recoil animations for shooting could also be implimented with this, as well as a toss animation for tossing grenades and stuff.. (of corse if the coding is implimented you could just repeat a still frame for the attack or whatever temporarily until the animation is made) also, the ability to modify the number of animation frames for different things like movement, death, etc. would be helpful too.. and animated map tiles are good also..

I'm interested in making some sprites, and I'd like a template to work with like the one someone made with the green soldier. would it be possible for someone to make the same type of template with an original xcom soldier graphic so it would be easier to match the original movement animation closer?

also, does anyone know if cycling colors are usable in ufo2000, cycling color as in you use one palette color in the sprite, but in the game that color actually flashes or changes colors gradually by virtue of its pallete entry number sort of like how a transparent color would work?

sort of off topic, but you know the intro video of TFTD where the soldier panics and you dont see anything, but you hear his panicing noises? it would be cool if your soldiers would play a panic sound when they panic, instead of just having a text message. it would just be nice to hear them screaming or making scared noises when they drop their weapons and run away, when they go berserk they could have a berserk noise. etc.

I'm interested in making some sprites, and I'd like a template to work with like the one someone made with the green soldier. would it be possible for someone to make the same type of template with an original xcom soldier graphic so it would be easier to match the original movement animation closer? 

I am forced to admit that my attempt at a walking animation in the soldier and lunarsuit skins falls somewhat short from the quality set by the original X-Com graphics...

However, there is a reason why I made a completely new template out of scratch instead of just copying the sprites from X-Com datafiles. The original reason for making these new graphics was to make UFO2000 independent of the copyrighted material from X-Com. If we copied the animation patterns directly from X-Com data, it could be seen as basing our graphics on that very copyrighted material (even if we just used them as artistic reference), so it would somewhat defeat the purpose of what we set out to do in the first place.

Besides, the walking animations weren't exactly perfect in X-Com either, so we might be better off making our own animations anyway, perhaps using the method Nachtwolf described: Using a 3D modelling software to create an animation template, then drawing our stuff on top of that. Or just using 3D modelling to render the whole unit, removing the need for manually drawn pixel art. (But then you'd better do it really well. There are few things I hate more than poorly-done, plastic looking 3D graphics.)

also, does anyone know if cycling colors are usable in ufo2000, cycling color as in you use one palette color in the sprite, but in the game that color actually flashes or changes colors gradually by virtue of its pallete entry number sort of like how a transparent color would work?

I don't think colour cycling works, since UFO2000 operates in true colour mode, so there is no universal palette you could easily manipulate (all colours are stored in RGB format individually for each pixel, instead of using pointers to a palette index). I guess palette cycling functionality could be simulated in the code using some kind of workaround, but why bother? It's not like we need to circumvent any hardware limitations by using a hack effect like this, since nowadays pretty much any animation is do-able just by adding more frames.

Edited by nappes

Nappes , i have some suitably Sci fi looking inventory skins that need sprites drawn , they look extremely sci-fi in fact , like a newage space suit. Perhaps if your willing , you can help me with that so as we can have a single theme , space. (see pic attatched) if we work togeather we can quickly and efficeintly change it to suit and begin to draw it so it fits the theme nicely.

@ hobbes (sorry for the offtopic nature): a story is good but i favour more of a tournament type story IE a squad from each planet is hurled into warp and end up fighting each other in a never ending battle to the death across a wide range of terrains and stuff.This leaves the door open for all kinds of weapons and terrains. like quake3 arena where your men are sent to a far off place to fight and once over , both teams men are revived and sent back to the hub for more. Also explains why your men always come back in each game nicely. The fact that aliens and humans can work togeather seems to destroy the whole "im alien and i hate all humsn" idea. Perhaps a new topic to discuss stories would be a good idea.

I like the idea of allowing more variety also..

I was messing around with some graphics and made these, and I'll probably make some sprites of these also.. though I don't know if something like this would fit in an x-com type storyline, I would still like to be able to customize the atmosphere beyond the scope of aliens and robots.

http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/gobbos.gif

I don't know if something like this would fit in an x-com type storyline, I would still like to be able to customize the atmosphere beyond the scope of aliens and robots.

It doesn't need to. Not everything has to be stuffed into the same mod or storyline.

Nice goblins. A fantasy-themed mod (Lords of Chaos-inspired?) could be interesting.

Edited by nappes

hm. having a setting with mainly close combat weapons (swords, maces, flails, axes, etc.) would create some quite new type of gaming experience...

or you could use distance weapons like bows, crossbows, javelins and maybe even spellbooks?

although spellbooks with autoshot seem funny somehow ROFL

hm. having a setting with mainly close combat weapons (swords, maces, flails, axes, etc.) would create some quite new type of gaming experience...

or you could use distance weapons like bows, crossbows, javelins and maybe even spellbooks?

although spellbooks with autoshot seem funny somehow  ROFL

Maybe interface tags could be changed to accomodate a fantasy-setting? like "Quick-cast" instead of "Auto-Shot".

This latest theme could be cool. Maybe there would be different mutators for the game, so for instance, if you are going to play a fantasy game, you go to options, and switch on "fantasy" mutator. This applies the fantasy interface (with GUI and tags), fantasy skins and fantasy weaponsets, and connects you to the fantasy server.

although spellbooks with autoshot seem funny somehow  ROFL

yeah, thats what I am aiming for, I think that a larger focus on close range weapons would be fun, though a book like the one you mention seems like it could be used like a medikit. you could still use things like exlplosive , incendiary, and smoke potions(grenades), quivers and sling stone pouches instead of ammo clips. if you really wanted to include some sort of "spell" type things, I could see that functioning like with the mind probe, and in single player you would have to enroll in the psionic training or whatever they call it. the main problems I see right now is the lack of animated attack frames, and a more apropriate weapon set. it would be nice if you could choose how to you use some weapons, like a sword that can be used with an aimed pierce, or a slash attack which might affect 2 or 3 squares side by side, or use the blunt end of the weapon for a stun type effect.. auto shot would work with close range weapons too if you changed the name to "attack frenzy" or something., maybe a long spear could have a shishkabob effect where it attacks through 2 squares instead of just one. or have axes that can be used like short range axes or thrown for a ranged attack also. I thought it would be kind of funny to replace the rocket launcher with a baby dragon that you carry, and after you feed it enough, you could squeeze its belly to launch a fireball(rocket).

Ideally I think this type of thing would work well with a single player campaign, having an x-com type team of knights defending kingdoms from bandits and creatures, but it seems like it would work well in multiplayer also. if it needed to fit into an x-com storyline, you could find out at the end that the creatures were created by a bored sectoid that wanted to torment humans. you could call it UFO1000 or something..

chrysallids(however you spell that) could be replaced by the werewolf sprite(or a vampire) and pass on its lycanthropy to its victims(after turning them into zombies of corse).. being able to mount your knights on horses for more movement time units would be nice, but they would have to dismount to go inside a building..

I would really like to be able to break the size limit for sprites, like the tanks and large aliens did.

http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/drag8a.gif

I don't know if something like this would fit in an x-com type storyline, I would still like to be able to customize the atmosphere beyond the scope of aliens and robots.

It doesn't need to. Not everything has to be stuffed into the same mod or storyline.

Nice goblins. A fantasy-themed mod (Lords of Chaos-inspired?) could be interesting.

here's some skeletons I threw together, I would probably make their clothing and armor different from the goblins if I was going to use both ..

http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/skel2.gif

I've never heard of lords of chaos, I was thinking more along the lines of LOTR, warhammer, or warcraft 1&2

Lords of Chaos was an earlier turn-based strategy game by Julian Gollop (the guy behind X-Com). It was about 2-4 wizards battling each other in a fantasy-type environment using deadly spells and summoned creatures. I guess it could be described as a sort of cross between UFO and Magic: The Gathering, although it predated both by a few years. A great game.

Maybe instead of spell books, how about crystals/gems as a new aspect? ie: fire crystal, ice crystal, etc.

But I believe we need to make a new topic for this very nice discussion. :)

Agreed

I like the crystals concept. It would be easier to work with than spells. Spells are too RPG-ish. Remember, It's not a Final Fantasy Tactics spin-off. Although the whole Job Class thing was pretty neat and useful.

UP NEXT: UFO2000 Team Fortress. :party:

...Just kidding.

Why don't you have different team colours? That way you could have 4-6 people on the same map playing against each other.... just an Idea.... also you should set it up so that maps are bigger etc.

Also why don't you make a setting so that one team can only start inside a UFO/Skyranger and hte other team can start at the borders/anywhere and make it so that it is random who goes first....

just a few ideas I came up with....

also, anyone know what is up with UFO 2000? I can't download the beta version.

already a suggestion about that posted in bug tracker, but would require some sort of recolouring routine to avoid re-creating copyright materials in different colours.

EDIT: the ufo2000 server is a little broken it seems. should be ok soon though.

Edited by Sporb

Just thought I'd mention this here too...

I can make the custom textures that you guys need.

this barrel took me less trhan 5 min to make.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/Barrel1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/Barrel2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/Barrel3.jpg

Lamp post is corrected for distortion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/LampPost3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/LampPost2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/LampPost1.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Just thought I'd mention this here too...

I can make the custom textures that you guys need.

this barrel took me less trhan 5 min to make.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/Barrel1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/Barrel2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/Barrel3.jpg

Lamp post is corrected for distortion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/LampPost3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/LampPost2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Greeseman/UFO2000/LampPost1.jpg

Also, I can't make objects that aren't symetrical, ie. The top of the lamppost (I think I can make men though as they would have a central base with equal amounts sticking out on all sides.)

I am forced to admit that my attempt at a walking animation in the soldier and lunarsuit skins falls somewhat short from the quality set by the original X-Com graphics...

I thought they were cute. It's always good to have some kind of relief in games.

I think they just look silly... like they're "sliding" along...

Also, there's no real difference between the Male and Female soldiers...

I thought they were cute. It's always good to have some kind of relief in games.

Well, they are wearing armour.....

I think that if the legs were seperated, so that they weren't touching eachother during movement, it would be a lot better, but its fine for now.. I just wouldn't want to use it as a template for other units..

i suggest that a straght rip of one of the Xcom soldiers who's As$ doesnt bob up and down in such a dodgy manner be used to make a new animation base. Like the personal armour mode, it can be re-coloured to a flat green or somthing like the tile template is

This is not the ministry of silly walks but I think some things can be improved, did anyone calculate how much times the animation rolls when a unit moves one square? 1, 2 or 3 times? then we can simply divide the number of pixels by this value to know exactly how much pixels the foot has to move in one cycle, then you divide again by 8 to know how much pixels the foot on the ground must move each frame.

So for example : 32 pixels is the width of a tile, animation rolls 2 times, that makes 16 pixels for a cycle, cycle is 8 frames so that's 2 pixels per frame.

if we get silly numbers juste make sure the per-frame movement totals out one cycle rounded to nearest value.

Edited by nachtwolf

i suggest that a straght rip of one of the Xcom soldiers who's As$ doesnt bob up and down in such a dodgy manner be used to make a new animation base. Like the personal armour mode, it can be re-coloured to a flat green or somthing like the tile template is

Apparently I still need to instill that if we want to avoid any possible copyright issues involving the use of X-Com graphics, we can't just "rip off" them like that. Making walking animations of our own is preferable to this kind of approach.

Judging from the feedback, I guess I'll have to take another look at the Lunarsuit and see if I could improve the animations. Currently I'm focusing on other stuff, though (like finishing the Moonbase terrain), so it may take a while before I can do anything about it. Meanwhile, if someone with more expertise in the area of "making things move" wants to try making a better animation template, they are welcome to do so.