ART - Combat Armor

Guest drewid

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ol I bulked up the armor and edited the elbow guards to lock and mold the armor as well as plled out the sides on the lower leg, I also changed the shoulder pads but because of the arm position right now you can;t really see them. I'll move the arm and post another shot later. I also included a comparison shot

farmor.zip

ok had to nearly rig the whole blasted thing just to get the arm to move right. didn't like the skin weights setup when only the arm was boned. anyway here is the shoulder pad.

farmor5.jpg

Just a question here: if that armor is fully closed, how would stun bombs/rods work? :huh?: If they're not fully atmosphere shielded, OK then, those stun bombs should work. But for the end mission on Mars, those suits should be completely sealed from the environment, so how would stun bombs work on those? Would you be impervious to stun weapons while wearing one of those suits? So if one of your men starts shooting your men 'cause a Sectoid tells him to, you wouldn't be able to stun him but would have to kill him? :o

How about if the stun bombs worked on a hydrostatic shock principle. The elerium base in the bomb sends out an enormous localised pressure wave and its that which causes the damage. Sort of a high power flashbang.

To the reason for my post. An update on the T-shirt armour. Though I like the WW2 styling of the old one I posted I don't feel its in keeping with the style guide so without further ado, here's the new concept.

Its based on both the US Army Rangers and Airforce Delta designs with a healthly pinch of SWAT trooper thrown into the mix. There's also a bit of SAS trooper in there as well.

post-29-1055316706_thumb.jpg

Ok...

I took Vaaish's power armor model...

A high-detail version is on the way. ^_^

Here the helmet.

Helm.jpg

I like both the t-shirt armor and the helmet texturing, very nice work.

Hey -

A high-detail version is on the way.

Your telling me thats the LOW poly version?!! Wow, I gotta say, the graphics are really coming along, I'v very impressed with Vaaish and Chrix to say the least!

Gold

Hey -

A high-detail version is on the way.

Your telling me thats the LOW poly version?!! Wow, I gotta say, the graphics are really coming along, I'v very impressed with Vaaish and Chrix to say the least!

Gold

Arrrr... No

It's the high-detail version of the helmet...

But it's not finished yet...

I will add more details later...

Crix.... before you get too far on the high poly version. I have the armor before I cut about 200 polys. It has better detail in the arms and around the waist area. let me post it for you. also has a few more polys in the helmet.

ifyou are talking about hte attachement it should be a higher poly version. specifically look at the waist as the armor there now has thickness also look on the front underside of the helm as there is a little more detail there as well and on the wrists.

Guest drewid

Cinema 4d has some really nice shader building stuff IIRC.

Hey Crix could you post me the delta "firestorm" you did in .3ds or .obj (don't know what cinema4D exports.) along with the textures.

Crix you have some serious skills. Kudos goes to you. I like the variation on the helm with the face visible. Very cool stuff. Do I remember rightly that you use cinema 4d for your modelling?

Yes...

Cinema 4D 8.0

I can't ATM, I have a fairly large contract coming though at work and it will take all my doing to keep up on the modules and finish it too.

Note on the armors I posted.

I think I might have accidentally posted a version before I scaled the armor down to proper size.

The model should be 2 meters in height if it is not let me know and I will repost it, in the mean time if you are working with it please scale it to 2 meters in HEIGHT.

I came across this, which has tips on converting nurbs-meshes if anybody is interested. I don't know what level it's at since I'm a connect the dots kind of modeler. :D

It is kida nice, but seems a little TOO assymetrical and medieval. not really something that a modern day or near future soldier would seem ot wear.

It is kida nice, but seems a little TOO assymetrical and medieval. not really something that a modern day or near future soldier would seem ot wear.

assymetrical is the whole point cos the keyword is LIGHT meaning that recruits use the least amount of armor possible to minimize dexterity penalties. eg kevlar as close-fitting uniform with short sleeves and titanium or whuteva strong metal plates on srategic places ... well anyways it was just an idea :D

Hey -

I actually think Fatal Errors design is quite good. Its very creative, and VERY distinctive. If we used something like that for either the BDU's or Personal Armor, I think whevever some sees it, they will immediately think "Xenocide"! Which is what we want.

If we keep it to BDU's then its easy to explain the Personal Armor with a completely different design theme, such as the one we currently have. So it wouldn't really mess up the scheme of things. Also, it would be easy to incorporate the sshoulder thingy into all the other armors...if we did wish to keep a theme.

I really like it!

Gold

Hmm it looks like snake skin... it can be skined from Snakeman :devillaugh:

technology tree ;)

reserch snakeman corpse -> snakeman corpse + alien alloys = very flexible personal armor :]. To produce it you will need Snakeman corpse (or other alien corpse) and you will have to skin him :). The armor's quality will depend on alien's corpse. The best personal armors can be made from, for example, mutons.

And about design like it becuse it's looks mostly human and shows that this is very "primitive" and it keeps the feeling that this is first step in combining alien and human technology.

Hi guys....

Look all very nice so far :)

There will be exactly the armors that were used in XCom, right? So basic Armor, personal Armor, energy armor and flight armor. The Model Vaaish has made is the energy armor, correct? Nothing about the flight armor yet?

The flight and power aromors have been modeled. They are similar to each other except for the forearm piece, knee guards and the flight armor being generally more chunky. Check earier in this thread for pics of the two.

@fatal: How is it a first attempt at blending Alien and Human tech. I was under the impression that the personal armor was created before retrieval of alien tech and should be a only human based tech. Light armor today does not mean assymetrical it would be more the differance of a ballistic tshirt and having ceramic plates. Based on your doctrine to use the least amount of armor for the most dexterity it would not follow that an assymetrical armor would be chosen. the reason for this is that if one side works well whay design a completely different and less protective opposite side?

your idea has promise but I feel it can be refined even more to fit with modern armor techs.

@fatal: How is it a first attempt at blending Alien and Human tech.

now i did NOT say anything like that

but as for the rest of your remarks. yeah its a bit too asymetrical when it comes to arms but the legs are totally balanced as right leg has upper armour and left leg has knee and lower armour (this kind of arrangement offers max amount of protection when shooting from a knee)

blah ...im explaining too much again ....it was just an idea :D

I personally like it a lot as a starting point. Sure, it looks a little medieval, and could probably be updated in that respect, but I definitely think it captures the distinctive, grungy quality that a lot of fantasty/science fiction armor lacks. In fact, I've seen a lot of pictures of bulging muscle-armor and other Power Rangers like designs and frankly, that looks badass, but totally unoriginal. As for asymmetry, fatal makes an excellent point. Believe it or not, people are asymmetrical. So is armor. Especially when you're kneeling. :D Of course, you can overdo that, too. I've seen armor with one huge (higher than head :rolleyes:) shoulder guard made of a thick slab of metal. Yeah right. Wear that for an hour and your spine would look like a slinky.

Come to think of it, even your armor has those muscle bulges. Not as bad as some, but still :rolleyes: Come on. Look at the orignal X-com power armor if you think bulging muscles are how you make armor look badass. That thing looked fit for a wino, and yet it was quite impressive. For that matter, look at the power armor in the second Matrix movie - those ogre things shuffling around in the background of Zion just about gave me a heart attack of artistic appreciation. ^_^

Firstly I'm gonna say to anyone wanting to design concept sketches please, please read the style guide. :)

We are aiming for an ultramodern theme to the human tech and if we break the style guide we are going to end up with a patchwork look to the game, which I am trying to avoid I know we're only fans but the aim is to release a commercial quality game so I'll apologise if I'm a little harsh with keeping things on target).

This is why the base level human armour (T-shirt) should be along the lines the kind of ballistic armour worn by today's special forces.

The next level of armour is the Personal armour which is available to be researched and built after the player has researched alien alloys. So the design of the personal armour should take the first step into the alien style guide. It should still be reckognisable as human tech but with a hint of the flowing lines of the alien technology. There is a response further up where I've described how the personal armour material works.

As we have already got the power and Flight armour modelled up the personal armour must follow the design stylings of these designs and still remain a precursor to it. The design of the power armour was inspired by the personal armour concept that Drewid posted so if anyone does want to post concepts of the personal armour please bear in mind that it's not just a case of throwing together a cool looking concept. There has been a lot of work put in to keep the human tech looking a certain way. Please bear that in mind when designing concept art.

There are lots of areas of concept design that still need doing so lets not waste our energies by going over and over the same topics. We've got concepts and models for the armour so lets concentrate on the areas of the game that need work. Thanks :)

Hey -

Just wanted to let you armor people know that Fred the Goat has sent in a write-up for the Xenocide Standard Issue Battle Dress Uniform. It can be viewed on the CTD Asset List, and I figure you all may want to take a look.

If annyone has comments, feel free to start a thread in the workshop UFOpedia category.

Thanks,

Gold

@fatal: How is it a first attempt at blending Alien and Human tech.

now i did NOT say anything like that

but as for the rest of your remarks. yeah its a bit too asymetrical when it comes to arms but the legs are totally balanced as right leg has upper armour and left leg has knee and lower armour (this kind of arrangement offers max amount of protection when shooting from a knee)

blah ...im explaining too much again ....it was just an idea :D

Good, explaining is good! gets the ideas rolling :D I never meant the post to sound as if I was putting words in your moth, just putting out questions to answer about how the armor works eg. for what reasons it would be deisgned that way and does it make sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Since the various designs for uniforms/armors seem to go here, I propose this for the "no armor"/plain combat uniform. I think it's kind of true to the original while updated enough to be uniquely X-Corps. Of course, we'd need some kind of load bearing harness, but this is the basics. Thoughts?

Sergeant.jpg

Hey -

Just curious, but would it be too much trouble for the engine to handle perhaps the same uniform design with three or four different camoflogue "skins"? So that if you have a tundra mission, your wearing the distinctive uniform, but with tundra markings? Same for jungle, desert, etc. Now the unifrom itself would be the same, just the colorings wouldnt stick out like a sore thumb.

Now to Kenshiro's design. I like the idea, but I question its practality in the field. I suggest reading the BDU entry on the CTD Asset List to see what I mean, that might give some graphical inspiration. Now, perhaps as a Dress Uniform it could work, for the X-Net, or something like that. Otherwise, I question how its helping the operative thats wearing it in battle. Perhaps if I see a version with the Alice Pack (or its equivelant) it would make more sense. I also always envision more head gear, something like the current LandWarrior System. I do like the Beret for a Dress Uniform as well though.

Anyone, just my opinions. I guess my biggest concern with this draft is that its too... not meant for war, and more meant for looking good (which is perfect for X-Net, etc). More actual battle influence would be good to see.

Also, the small gripe I've sorta had with every entry is this: look at the current LandWarrior System. Look at what we are proposing now for Xenocide. Think LandWarrior now. What will we be using in 10 years? Something more advanced for sure, and everything proposed seems like it would fit into WWII, not WWIII - which is what we want.

Hehe, ok, sorta bitchy, but my girlfriend just left, so I'm in a bitchy mood. Sorry all. Like I said, just my opinions.

Gold

Guest Jim69

Hmm, over 10 years ago was the Gulf War, and they were pretty much using the same type of armour, and pretty much the same kit. I'd say that if the vest was prehaps a light kevlar design, and with a standard helmet, would be pretty much perfect 4 the "T-Shirt" armour, as it would look military, yet distinctive.

BTW, one thing that worries me is that a lot of SF batallions do not carry any idetifying insignia, 4 the simple reason that they don't want to be seen as SF, but as regular army in the event of capture, so to remain the grey man ( no pun intended ) in interrogations. But then this is a game not a sim, so I guess it don't matter.

Perhaps the system we should be looking to emulate is known as Objective Force Warrior. This is the "Army after next" look the US is going for, and a number of First World nations are also developing something similar. Here is the link:

Natick Labs - Objective Force Warrior

I tend to agree with Gold on the use of the above for the X-Net instead, now that I think it through some more. I also like the idea of using multiple skins based on the deployment terrain - we should look at the new camouflage designs they're developing in coming up with our patterns. Here's another link:

Army Times Poll on Experimental New Camoflage Patterns

Just some ideas.