Exo2000

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, is there any way you guys can code it so that the wall is

"transparent" to the projectile? that might work (i still think that being able to shoot the wall down is enough though)

actually, it would seriously unbalance the game

if it can shoot through walls, then what is to stop it from shooting through contents of cells.

there is also, as i said, the fact that both plasmas, lasers, mezons, and phazers can break down a wall and kill something on the other side, so why shoot through it too?

As Kratos says, it does look a bit like the rifle was chewed on. As for the pistol, it's not too bad, but it's too cartoony looking. Doesn't have the typical X-COM Look/Feel to it.

Nice, but not the right level of detail, and some of those weapons are already done. See the conversion of Munkeylord's weapons back on about page 5, there's already a LOT of custom stuff there. ;)

Also, I believe some of the weapons you did there are already in aforementioned conversion pack.

Say dark monkey - those two handguns in your first sheet look awefull familiar ... as if they had already been posted ... BY ME. Please dont use my weapon concepts in future or at least say so *walks off looking pissed* :NoNo:

Let's try not to grab each others' throats now. ;)

Well anyway, Sporb...we still need other handobject stuff made :) ...now you can use the light phaser as a example for a pistol, and the pulse phaser as an example as a rifle. :)

Particle accelerators are very large and complex, think mass driver and you'll see what i mean... those particle accelerators at universities are over a mile long, and even in the future they need to be very heavy anyway

however, a very large and heavy single shot particle cannon would be niec :)

can u guyes give me some guide to apply new weapon sets....i unpacked it to the ufo beta directory but when i start the game no new weapons are there. what am i doing wrong, tell me  :Hyper:

You need the latest beta. You place the weapons folder in the extensions directory. :)

Kratos: i was sitting ther playing games yesterday and thinkin of your choice of weapon names - you mentioned that you ran out of names to call em so may i suggest some?

Meson = some sort of subatomic partacle right , so why not call them Particle accelerator weapons? IE Light particle accelerator , particle accelerator and heavy etc

or how bout Anti matter weapons = if im not mistaken , antimatter cannot exist with matter , therefore one would cease to exist and stuff might happen (like explosions *evil grin*)

Zap weapons = since they stun stuff now , how bout calling them Tasers or somthing more exotic like Thermal Shock rifle (

just suggestions though

Everything seems to be finely named except for a couple. :)

Edited by Kratos

Particle accelerators are very large and complex, think mass driver and you'll see what i mean... those particle accelerators at universities are over a mile long, and even in the future they need to be very heavy anyway

however, a very large and heavy single shot particle cannon would be niec :)

well technically , the accelerators are quite simple - just a whole bunch of magnets in a giant circle - its the instruments and construction thats the complex stuff

as for antimatter , since both types of matter cant exist , how would you catch it in a magnetic feild?

LOL - im just pedantic , carry on

Neutron weapons?

Neutrons are pretty deadly. They kill people (and perhaps even vaporise any organic matter) and leave everything else untouched. Neutron bombs = teh scary. 'Nuff said.

neutron radiation goes through just about everything

thats why it is very hard to stop, even radiation suits have trouble stopping it

Evenin' all. Hi Sporb.

I was thinking, maybe a beam weapon that erupted with flames on impact? Like the incendiary rocket, but it has a laser animation on firing and only burns a 3x3 area? Call it the Thermal Gun? Maybe a whole set: Thermal pistol, Thermal rifle, Thermal Cannon.

Phaser. As in Star Trek phaser. Takes up a 1x2 space vertically, can be loaded with Stun ammo, Kill ammo or Incendiary ammo. Short range.

Tractor beam: reduced enemy energy to 0 for a turn?

Stun Grenade? Or has it been done?

Oh, and for the idea of a gun that can go through walls? Maybe have it firing 2 beams with the same accuracy very quickly? So 1 destroys the wall and the other goes through the other end. Notice only 2, so it can only destroy a maximum of 2 walls.

Well, you could set it so it can only go through walls, but it hits object and content as normal... but i do not think that is a good idea anyway

Thatd be a neat idea BA , a laser beam that causes the target to combust. at the very least , i can make some concepts that fit into your ideas.\

As for making a laser that sets stuff on fire , it shouldnt be that hard - i might even be able to code stuff like that myself if i learned the ufo2000 architecture - another neat i dea would be a hedgehod rocket , upod impact fires heaps of rifle rounds in any direction. Like a shrapnell bomb only cooler

-as for guns going thru walls - if you realy wanted to do it thru code , all youd have to do is define some sort of flags structure whereby everything on the map is assigned an tag , a wall would have a wall tag , a unit would have a unit tag and so on. then you could make a special routine whereby anything with a wall or object tag assigned to them is 'ignored' by the bullet. just speculation though , ive never looked at ufo2000's code so i cant rightly suggest stuff - but i did so there :P

Edited by Sporb

I got bored , so i animated some stuff :Drool:

Anyone got ne graphics they want re touched ... re moddled ... anyone?

PS - the medal type things were based on the ufo rank platters given to your men in game once they gain a rank. I made heaps from scratch ... Say , you guys dont need any medals or crests do you?

Edited by Sporb

I haven't tested the machineguns yet, and maybe they already do, but I'd find it cool if it would really SPRAY many weak bullets, like 15 on an auotshot. (unklike that so-called autocannon...)

The aimed and snap shots would be bursts of 3-5 then, but the magazine not too large to keep it realistic (30-50).

And make that time 10 for the minigun. :)

Another thing that crossed my mind:

Grenade Thrower - Propels any type of grenade over a larger distance.

Is slow and heavy, though, and not too accurate (so Grenadiers dont become obsolete).

And to Sporb:

antimatter cannot exist with matter, therefore one would cease to exist and stuff might happen (like explosions *evil grin*)

In fact, as soon as the anti-matter came in contact with ANY matter (like the air in the barrel) there would be a complete mass-energy conversion like in a nuclear bomb. Only with twice the mass of the entire "bullet" instad of a tiny fraction of it.

In short: BOOOM! - Match over. :D

Edited by Violazr

I thought as much - one thing i'd like to see would be an option to have all avaliable weapons up for use , IE the plasma guns , the meson guns and all the others , kinda like the ultimate pack. Now that would be neat Edited by Sporb

Hence the invention of the amazing scroll bar , or paging system

a wepon type per page IE Sci-fi guns on one page , projectiles on anutha

i think its a good idea ,Scroll bar, simple and effective

you could even set the inventory up into different catagories , Heavy , Grenades , hand to hand. and just scroll down to what your after , grab it and keep on scrolling. Then weapon sets wouldnt need to be seperated , they could just be added into each catagory as they are installed. EG you start out with skeleton gear (Xcom guns) and when you add the galactic weapons all the old guns are still there , but next to them go the new ones (Heavy plasma , heavy Meson , heavy Phaser etc). This would add heaps of flexibility too , and to force a game with just cetain weapons , you could just add more rules (like no explosives etc) like classic Xcom etc

There must have been a valid reason for leaving a scroll bar out though (and the ability to mix and match weapon sets)

I would love the ability to use all guns , imagine Waging war against aliens with plasma weapons when your men are equipped with the human equivalent , meson guns (they are human rite) Then players could really customise their squads , depending on their character choice (i would use laser rifles all the time if they didnt suck but if the meson rifle was there , i would gladly hang up my plasma guns for em.)

Edited by Sporb

Here's my pretty stupid idea, but I'm bored at work, and think it'd be funny:

Pellet Gun, causes enemy unit to go berzerk, from annoyance or something.

(just read the "before posting in weapon concepts" thread, which should probably be above this one, so people read it first... so if this is currently impossible, sorry.)

Edited by albertmdh

Maybe a 40k weapon set. We have:

Bolt pistol: autoshot of 3, weak high explosive ammo by default (basically just like the pistol, but with autoshot and slightly explosive impact [2x2, for example] and 1 turn of smoke/flames)

Bolter/boltgun, autoshot of 3, semi-weak high explosive ammo. just like the rifle, but different sprite and slightly explosive ammo (see above.)

Heavy Bolter: Autoshot of 3, medium-strength high explosive ammo. Ever so slightly bigger explosion than above.

Laspistol: Like laser pistol, different sprite, slightly weaker

Lasgun: like laser rifle, different sprite, slightly weaker

Multilaser: like heavy laser, but inaccurate and with an autoshot. Not quite as heavy as laser minigun, but not as powerful either.

Lascannon: heavy weapon, fires a very powerful beam, AP only, must be reloaded after every shot, no autofire.

Missile launcher: Rocket launcher, but no incendiary fire.

Meltagun: Very inaccurate at long range, but very powerful

Multi-melta: like a toned-down lascannon, inaccurate at long range, but magazine of 6. No autofire.

Shuriken pistol: No ammo required, autofire of 4, no aimfire, but weak

Shuriken Catapult, No ammo, autofires 5, no aimfire, weak

Shuriken cannon: No ammo, autofire 3, aimfire, quite strong

Frag grenade: standard hand grenade

Krak grenade: Smaller blast, but more powerful than frag grenade

What about a microwave gun, it takes 100% of TUs but when you use it you can deploy a microwave field around your soldier.. say, 6 sqares, and it goes through walls, and it injures every soldier(but the user) a certain amount each turn

I know you guys are trying to make up good ideas but please don't post items that cannot be done atm.

Request new features in our bugtracker

I need to say Sporb that the hand objects need to be complete for the melee weapons. Just a reminder Sporb. ;)

After that I need you to make Ground objects that look like they are laying on the ground...then this set can be added into the next beta. :)

Edited by Kratos

I hope that the making of a new AI will in the future, allow a new single player episode. I would love to remake xcom in that. My sugestion of an Oblivion Gun, a gun that erases everything within its radius of blast, destroying man and gun, would be a total fun. The aliens would be tired of humans and develop guns that wipe out whole citys. Or even a Oblivion Rad, an upgrade of the previous, but in is radious it would leave a lethal radiactive field that would kill humans as well ... Or have new enemies with lethal zones that can only be killed if aimed right ( head, torso, legs or arms ? ) your choise...

Call me crazy, its possible ???

also, beam blade has plasma blade ground picture

I have asked sporb to make a Microwave Gun from a very sad looking prototype(my first one in paint, so i didn't expect much)

What it would do is if fires a beam(i think the sound of a Mag Ion suit flying around from TFTD would be the best) which, until it hits a wall that covers the entire level, will light everything in its path on fire. It would fire in maybe a 10-20 degree cone(the more narrow the beam the more concentrated it is, so it makes fires burn better and more easily)

If it just lights its target on fire it would have to light a 10x10 area in solid flames, and you wouldn't be able to see where it lands. But i think that the cone would be cooler, if harder to code

It would have to decrease in its ability to make things burn rather quickly, 20 degrees can get rather large after it has crossed a 6x6 map

Or it could light the area it hits on fire

Blehms Fantastical Acoustic Microwave Weapon. Makes cooking Sectoids seem like less of a chore

BA's Hand phaser inventory , you'll have to wait for the hand sprites

Edited by Sporb

Kratos, what kind of a weapon set could microwave weapons be based on? I don't think it would fit in with the other sets(not the same generic layout, so you won't have the projectile, laser, plasma set i don't think, but maybe microwave guns could go with the Tachyon prototypes from long before)

Kratos, what kind of a weapon set could microwave weapons be based on?  I don't think it would fit in with the other sets(not the same generic layout, so you won't have the projectile, laser, plasma set i don't think, but maybe microwave guns could go with the Tachyon prototypes from long before)

Whatever you feel it should. You don't have to make it too much like the lasers and plasmas. Be creative. ;)

Edited by Kratos

By the way, 0.7.905 http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.7.905-beta.exe

It has improved support for weaponsets and we are ready to add new weaponsets to the distributive of the game. One of the tasks still is a weaponset which does not rely on any data files from x-com at all. Of all listed here, none of them conforms to this requirement yet.

If you make anything using only free graphics, please submit it here: http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view.php?id=283

And just checked the links from http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net, seems like microprose ftp is up again, but it does not contain x-com demo anymore. So I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to distribute it now. That's why finishing our own set of graphics has very high priority. We are almost ready for that, this work consists of several (still unfinished) parts: unit skin, new free tileset, new weapons and a few icons, buttons, background pictures. And we already have a new control panel, explosion animation and a replacement for x-com fonts.

After that we can make a selfcontained installer, drop automatic downloading of x-com demo and provide support for full versions of x-com and tftd but getting them would be up to the user. And we can also make automatic searching for x-com and tftd data files built into the game instead of the installer. It will store path to these games in ufo2000.ini and use standalone copies of these games. Once the path in ufo2000.ini gets invalid (original x-com got uninstalled or moved), the user gets a warning and the search can be repeated again any time at the user's request.

Thatd be cool , thnx Abyssion. Speaking of which , now would be a good time to post my versions of the Xcom laser and a plasma gun of some sort (thats the brown one)

Can I use these for a weapon set of my own? I was thinking the brown one could be the "Excel rifle" and the others could be "Pulse rifle, pulse pistol, pulse sniper, pulse cannon"

© Blood Angel 2005

Well, I would also like a pistol and cannon version of the Excel rifle, Clips for the Excel weapons (You see the thing that looks like a canister at the end of the Excel Rifle? Like that) and also weapon sprites for Small Cutter (Pistol), Laser Cutter (rifle) and Heavy Cutter (Cannon) with clips for these weapons. Don't bother with the pulse clips, I'm hoping they can be infinite-ammo type things.

Edited by Blood Angel

OK, time for the Future weaponset (I can't think of a better name)

Cutting Weapons (Small cutter, laser cutter, heavy cutter)

These are powerful, accurate and deadly, but take up a lot of TU to use. Fair battery size. Fires a cutting beam.

Excel weapons (Excel pistol, Excel launcher, Excel Cannon)

These are quite powerful, quite accurate, pretty good all-round weapons. They use magnetic acceleration to launch a ring of depleted uranium very fast. They have a medium magazine size, but these are quite heavy.

Pulse Weapons (Hand Pulser, Pulse Rifle, Pulse Sniper, Pulse Cannon)

These are weak, accurate, and cheap. They fire a concentrated laser beam, but only for about a nanosecond, saving battery power. They have built-in batteries with a very long life, so no need for reloads.

Missile Launcher: These fire missiles in cradles of varying type

- Standard Cradle: 4 shots in a cradle, fired one after the other. Medium strength.

- Phosphor cradle: 2 shots in a cradle, combust whatever they hit.

- Rotary Cradle: 8 shots in a cradle, but weak.