XCOMUFO & Xenocide

? ART- VIPER: Merged Topics

I think the body on that last one is pretty good but the hands and head need to be reworked.

IMO the head could be a little flatter and broader, if you can get some referance from real snakes. (pictures will work so no need to get bit up over it :)) and maybe trunicate the tail a little

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about experimenting with the Lizardman crossing it with this model... I am worried about the movement of this creature, biped character looks like more easier to animate and make them look right..

Drew whats your opinion?

On the other hand, the snakeman is pretty heavy armored, this model looks a little weak.

Greetings

Red Knight

I'd say not necessarily, It's scaly hide could be some natural tougher-then-Kevlar armor, or maybe it's grafted with alien alloy... Something like that can be made up with some text, and I don't think we want to make it too big/heavy looking. Of course, that's just me...

Guest Jim69
The head of the pic RK posted would look great IMO, I also agree that movement is gonna be dodgy, but the peeps seemed to like it that way so I shut up :) It could work I spose with just the tail pulling it along the floor, but how it stands up like that and walks is beyond me. It is an alien tho :P

Ok, but what does 'trunicate' mean? :huh?:

Edit: also, I wanted it to look like a snake, but not like any earth snake...

trunicate means cut off in the basic sense. Just means shorten the tail somewhat.

That would be 'truncate' Vaaish. :D

And jordos, you original snake thing looked like its neck had been run over by a car. :LOL:

New versions are much better.

I like the idea of it slithering along like a snake. Makes it more alien. Otherwise all our aliens are going to be bipedal human shaped creatures.

That would be 'truncate' Vaaish. :D

And jordos, you original snake thing looked like its neck had been run over by a car. :LOL:

New versions are much better.

I like the idea of it slithering along like a snake. Makes it more alien. Otherwise all our aliens are going to be bipedal human shaped creatures.

I guess I did slip in an extra "I" sorry. :D

Here's the new Snakeman, I've redone the head to be lower, but it doesn't really show as it's mouth is opened wider, and I've redrawn the claws, still not happy with them, but getting better. The tail is shorter too, but I haven't gotten round yet in creating a heavier, stronger looking version.

snakeman.jpg

Guest Jim69
Same way as a real snake does. Presumably it would have to lower itself down a bit to move, but it could do that and then stand up again when it stopped.

Snakes have 2 wriggle their whole body 2 move, it simply wouldn't work 4 them 2 just wriggle the part on the ground, they would have 2 lie down 2 move and take up 2 squares in front of itself, then stand 2 fire, which is why someone tried having the arm as long as the body in a concept ( can't remember who, check last page ) so that it could drag itself by it's knuckles. Unless u can think of a better way of movement I just don't think it is possible 4 it 2 move stood up like that.

Edit: It does look good tho.

Edited by Jim69

It does look good tho.

Exactly. This is the biggest point. It looks good. Its nice to have a non bipedal alien, and we can stretch the rules of movement a little.

Also, it could move by having two points of contact (poc) on the ground. Not sure how to explain this.... Will attempt a diagram.

Imagine the following 'V's as curves in its body.

...VV - starts like this.

..V.V - moves its first poc forward

..VV. - then moves its second one forward

.V.V. - then first ...

etc etc

EDIT: Damn, not only did Cpt Boxershorts beat me to it, he explained it better too. <_<

Edited by miceless

Guest Jim69
In the original, it used the lower body as a single foot, sort of like a snail.  We don't have to worry about being super realistic (no one complained in the orginal, after all).  As long as the movement animation looks okay, no one will question it.

-The Captain

Hmm, the animation is gonna be the tricky part tho. So, how IS it gonna move?

If it does move like a snail then it's gonna be VERY slow coz snails use some dodgy slime sh!t as lube and sorta give little wriggles to move along the slime. Noone complained in the original coz the graphics were so bad that u couldn't tell HOW it moved. In 3D it's a different issue.

If there is a good way of doing movement that doesn't involve it hopping along or just floating along the ground then I would be more than happy as I like the current design. I just can't c a decent way of doin it.

I was thinking it could move like a rattlesnake, more or less. They move sideways by curling their body and then stretching it. So our Snakemen could stand up, and curl their tail up, so it's next to it's body (somewhat like in the pic). Then they press down on the tip of their tail (so no lubricant, they would need friction... hmmm, maybe they should stay clear of ice battlescapes ^_^ ), and stretch their tail again, but at the same time rotating their support point. If what I'm sayig here makes any sense :wacko:

Those teeth are for swallowing their prey, after it's paralysed by the injected poison. And after snakemen and medikits are researched there's a new option on the medikit available: cure posion ^_^ Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69
I think it should *strange shudder* slither like a *another shudder* snake...

After all, it is a snakeman...

So, on the floor then?I was thiniking that it's gonna cause some major headaches when goin thru doors and near a wall coz it will just go straight thru it. But I think I've said enough, I really will shut up now. Whoever modells it is gonna have 2 work out how it's gonna move, and good luck 2 ya son :LOL:

I was thiniking that it's gonna cause some major headaches when goin thru doors and near a wall coz it will just go straight thru it.

? :huh: What do you mean?

If it stays within "the box," there should be no trouble...

Here's another version, a bit more armored, and a bit bigger. But maybe this is beginning to go over the top, 'cause in my opinion it doesn't really improve. Oh well...

ubersnake.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69
I was thiniking that it's gonna cause some major headaches when goin thru doors and near a wall coz it will just go straight thru it.

Really, after this post I will shut up, honest :)

I mean this. If it moves like a snake, then it needs 2 lie down 2 do that, it can't do it on a little bit of tail It needs to spread it's body weight evenly throughout it's body and do that slither thing along the floor snakes do. When it lies down there is no way in heck it's gonna be under 1m long. The only other options are hopping on it's tail, or using that slug idea. I don't like any of the above. How is the animator gonna do any of these 3 without it looking lame? I don't think it's possible. In X-Com 1 it just moved, like it hovered across the screen, but noone noticed coz of the poor graphics of the day. They will in 3D.

Well, I recon I said plenty on the matter, so I'll let others decide what they think.

Here's another version, a bit more armored, and a bit bigger. But maybe this is beginning to go over the top, 'cause in my opinion it doesn't really improve. Oh well...

Hmmm.. It overall looks pretty good but I'm a little concerned with that head. He looks more like hes been scared half to death than he looks scary.

try basing the head off of a cobra or rattlesnake. maybe even through in characteristics of an aligator or croc.

Really, after this post I will shut up, honest :)

I mean this. If it moves like a snake, then it needs 2 lie down 2 do that, it can't do it on a little bit of tail It needs to spread it's body weight evenly throughout it's body and do that slither thing along the floor snakes do. When it lies down there is no way in heck it's gonna be under 1m long. The only other options are hopping on it's tail, or using that slug idea. I don't like any of the above. How is the animator gonna do any of these 3 without it looking lame? I don't think it's possible. In X-Com 1 it just moved, like it hovered across the screen, but noone noticed coz of the poor graphics of the day. They will in 3D.

Well, I recon I said plenty on the matter, so I'll let others decide what they think.

When it moves we can have it lean forward so the weight is dispursed evenly, then when it stops moving or attacks it rears up like a cobra.

snakeman was much fatter in the original.. You know, give that a lot more meat and let's see what it looks like? Also he needs some alien alloy armor a little bit, looks cooler.

EDIT:

And btw, the last one is the best so far..

Edited by Nyyperoid

Much better head, but can you close its jaw a bit. I get the impression it has permanently dislocated it.

Perhaps also consider making its mouth go back less far? Or maybe not.

Also, i think its front armor should stop at the same place as the rear one as it may encounter a bit of chaffing when it tries to move along with the armor on. :D

from the side it looks alit better with that head, but can we ge a quick top view sketch of the head since that is where most of the form will be?

An inherent snake characteristic is it's ability to dislocate it's jaw, so it can open up it's mouth very wide to swallow prey larger than itself.

Edit: well maybe not all snakes, but I'm sure there are some with this ability.

but here, I made it a bit smaller, and dropped the lower part of the armor.

As for the top view of the head, made a quicky of what I imagined as well.

ubersnake_top2.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

I realise they can do that, but can you give us a shot where it doesnt look like its trying to eat its hand?

Also, would it stand so hunched? Would the head be lower than the top of its neck? Dunno about that.

As for the top down view, can you round it off at the front? I think its too square. I suppose that could just be the armor, but I think it should be rounded. Maybe also make it a bit wider at the front?

And the tail armor looks better.

Guest Jim69
I realise they can do that, but can you give us a shot where it doesnt look like its trying to eat its hand?

Also, would it stand so hunched? Would the head be lower than the top of its neck? Dunno about that.

As for the top down view, can you round it off at the front? I think its too square. I suppose that could just be the armor, but I think it should be rounded. Maybe also make it a bit wider at the front?

And the tail armor looks better.

Dunno, what does a cobra look like when it rears it's head? I remember it look sh!t scary if u the 1 standing in front of it, so it should be like that. I think what is pictured is almost like what they do but I can't remember

As far as a normal pose goes, the jaw looks better to me. As for the higher neck, im not sure. It looks better in some way, but still wrong. :huh?:

Lets see what some other people think.

Guest Jim69
Me thinks that it look good. I like the sleek look of the head, it actually does look better with the head raised like that. Dunno what miceless is on about tho