XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Couldn't Get To T'leth - A Common Bug?

Rainier

It's been a few years since I played TFTD the last time, and it was on my previous computer which was a bit problem-prone.

I struggled through the game two times on a row, by sheer luck avoiding the research problems (I think). But in the end

both games ended because I couldn't go to T'leth. The mission button appeared on the screen, but when I pressed it the

game crashed.

Returning to earlier saves didn't help. Neither did beginning the game all over again.

Has this happened to others? Is this common? And most of all, is there a version around that one can play without fearing such a downer?

If you got the T'Leth launch button, then things were going right. However it sounds like the game itself must not have been set up properly, or perhaps something's corrupted the map files for T'Leth, and the game crashed on trying to load them.

You might want to try it again on your current computer with Dosbox or locate a copy of the Collectors Edition.

- NKF

If I remember correctly, I was using Collector's Edition with the Windows Patch.

In the early 90's I played TFTD a lot one summer, but in the end I couldn't complete it because I couldn't research one

of the more powerful craft weapons (I forget which one), and I couldn't shoot the bigger ufo-subs down. They pretty much swamped me.

A few years later I tried again, but this time T'leth never appeared... no button, nothing... I've had a pretty bad luck with this game. And at that time one didn't have access to all those nifty bug guides.

But: I guess I could try the game again, as soon as I finish my current EU game: superhuman ironman, with heavy restrictions on my abilities (no plasma whatsoever, limits on science & engineering, no psi amps etc.) It's actually your fault... I thought I was done with the game, but then I ran into this site. My wife is sooo happy.

Can you point me to a good bug guide and research tree for TFTD? I really really really don't want to run into any more annoying bugs.

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I recommend having a look at my TFTD Research Tree Bug Avoidance Guide - Wiki edition. This one's a bit rough around the edges, might have one minor mistake involving the Manta/Hammer, is needlessly wordy, but it should give you the general gist of it.

The Incredibly Condensed and Abridged Version™:

• Live Deep one AFTER Ion Beam Accelerator and Plastic Aqua Armor
  • M.C. Reader and Sub Construction in storage at all times until researched
  • Tasoth commander (should not show up in v2.0 + beta and v2.0ce) - avoid at all costs until you have the Leviathan and the 'T'Leth' launch button
  • T'Leth button enabled by: Any live alien, alien origins, lobsterman navigator/commander/leader, the ultimate threat, lobsterman commander, T'Leth the alien's city

It actually covers all the trickier research branches. Everything else that you find is pretty straightforward to obtain, with the possible exception of the drills, which need a Calcinite corpse to enable, and a gill-man to upgrade to the last model in the line.

- NKF