XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Design

Deimos

Cool FPS view there! I'll load the textured ufo to the viewer when I get home and can use Milkshape, thanks for the textures.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've uploaded the terrorship to the viewer, but there wasn't any texturing assigned, and the model groupings and texture names aren't intuitive so I didn't try guessing. The medium scout appears to have gotten worse when viewed in Milkshape, but putting it in the web viewer it looked fine, so who knows there.

this looks like to be the equivilant of a big seaship IMO. Nice and bulky, looks really like a cargo carrier.

The only real thing that could be adressed are the wings. Thats an awfull lot of weight that is not used for cargo. If it went down into the ground so it would be a new porting of the ufo, it might seem more bulky.

And where are the entrences supposed to be?

ladies and gentlemen may I present.... the Space Cow!!!!

actually looks quite nice not too agine and has the appearance of being pretty big.

I like to imagine that those "wings" are actually holding "thingies" that can be lowered to position a large container between them. Thus the freight volume could be much higher than the ship's own volume.

Nice work Himmler. Ok to the actual sizing of the thing, would it be possible to have some scale references in there. I mean at the moment the only reference I can see is what I think is the door on the front of the craft. Pop the scale block in there so we can tell how big the thing is.

If its as large as I imagine it'll be a pretty impressive site in game.

If you're not seeing the new models, clear your cache and refresh the page, as the models use the same name in the code. That should make it show up.

Perhaps some discussion as to what purpose the wings serve would be good, these ufos don't use conventional lift, so IMO they would mainly put such large pieces on for some function. As to holding another container underneath, I think they'd use something thinner, sort of like spider legs that could either fold up or retract into the ufo when not in use.

The ship might actually be modular. In the current configuration it is the larges containership around. Arriving at its destination the three pieces can break up and we have two smaller crafts and a large one.

Tell me if I'm wrong on that :blink:

Or... or...

The wings are actually holding propulsion systems and fuel as nowaday planes do. Thing is: the cargo is more safe if the propulsion is exterior and there is lots of space for fuel so this ship can go for long voyages. Plus this allows redundant systems and a more precise steering.

Edited by FabGuy

I like Fab guy's second idea. Makes sense from a techincal point of view and would explain why the craft always has lots of xenium on board.

The other thing is, won't it be fun if the xenium reactors get blown up. The sides of the ship get wasted but it leaves the cargo intact.

I'm not crazy about this one. I think it looks awkward. It doesn't really look sleek or polished, and although you might expect that from a cargo ship, I think it's a little bit too blocky.

It is my opinion that this design should be made smoother, rounder and floor/ceiling/wall in constuction. I would blend the outriggers into the main body or perhaps extend them on arms or something to make them look a little more intentional and less at odds with the shape of the ufo. I would also round out all the blunt ends, and increase the level of fine detail to hint at the hugeness of the ship. It reminds me of the Ur Quan Dreadnought in Star Control and that ship always looked kind of unrefined to me... their alien creatures were awesome, tho.

This is my opinion, such as it is, and it is not to be taken personally. It is intended with much respect.

Remember i said its still very "ROUGH" ..........

It reminds me of the Ur Quan Dreadnought in Star Control and that ship always looked kind of unrefined to me... their alien creatures were awesome, tho.

I actually liked the Ur Quan the most, just my opinion. I got a different idea in mind fo the ship, so dont tread, im going to post it sometime this week. I think the next design is more in line to what i want anyway :P

I must disagree with fuxor, I think supply ship should look a bit bulkier and "dull". Bare in mind though that I don't have experience in art as fuxor does and if you check fuxors concepts and models, you see he knows what he's talking about so listen to him :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so maybe you could try something like having the wings fold out with ramps for the enterence, or you have the back of the cargo hold open into like 4 flaps-1 goes up-2 go to the side-1 goes down as a ramp. Anyway, they're just ideas for you mess around with.

Bountythunter2211

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello people. Didn't think you'll ever hear from me again did you :)

It's been 2 years since i registered, and boy have i learned a lot about modelling and 3d game making in this time. I'm back for now and would like to contribute once more to this brilliant Project.

First off is a remodelling of my medium scout UFO (to drop the huge amount of poly's) and making a texture map template for this craft.

You guys have done some great work year so far.

"So like what happened to you...."

1. New job.

2. New location.

3. New ideas..... Started an Indie Game company. (Welcome to check it out, got some free games to download. www.apfstudios.com)

4. Finishing my Engineering Degree.

5. World of Warcraft - LOL.