XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Only Beta's Are Playable Now?

n-TOX!C

Hi

What does that mean ? "Please upgrade to a more recent version, I mean, I have the non Beta version. 1 year ago it works fine and suddenly it does not work with the non Beta?

Do I have to use the Beta version now, because I prefere the original version.

What went wrong?

I use the UFO Enemy Unknown CE in combination with the last non-beta 0.6.627.

Server: < UFO2000.XCOMUFO.COM >

Please help me. Want to play Ufo2000 again :(

n-TOX!C aka JackRabbit

"Please upgrade to a more recent version

I "GUESS" it means you played with someone that had a beta which version number was higher than your version. If you find someone who has the same non=beta version as you, you should be okay.

If I guessed wrong, please, give more details.

The problem is, that UFO2000 does not connect to the server, before I would be able to play with someone.

When I connect to the server I don't even see screen with the list of player's to challenge.

This error message appears at the same moment like the error that UFO2000 was not able to connect to a server. I remember the time you had the choise of playing the beta version, which doesn't have to do anything anymore with the original UFO - Enemy unknown or the non-beta version instead. My non-Beta version is the most recent. Aprox. 1 year ago, I was able to play with this non-beta version and since this time there was no new release of a non-beta version. So what's the problem?

n-TOX!C

@ Kratos

I think you misunderstud my problem.

I tried now every stable version of UFO 2000 and when I'm saying i have testen them all I mean i HAVE TESTED EVERY VERSION! :Rant:

It doesnt matter if it is the beta or the original one. I'm not able to play any version of UFO 2000.

Dont see a screen to challenge, dont even see the chat, NOT EVEN THE CHATROOM , NOTHING and I mean nothing. And please dont tell me now that is a problem of all recent available versions :huh?:

:devillaugh:

Have made a hopefully understandable videoclip,

I will upload it next time

Edited by n-TOX!C

sounds like you havent changed the server. The old stables still use LXNT as far as i know. The address for the new server is around here somwhere ...

The old stables still use LXNT as far as i know.

Sorry but thats not the case. It isn't in use. There is only one active server

< UFO2000.XCOMUFO.COM >

I've tested the LXNT server. It doesn't exist anymore

I believe you're misinterpreting Sporb; I think he meant that the stable release has the lxnt server as the default one selected and that you need to switch to the xcomufo one, not that you need to connect to the lxnt one.

:(

I have the feeling that nobody understands me.

I successfully connect to the < UFO2000.XCOMUFO.COM > but before I can do some thing I get this error msg. When Ufo2000 wasn't able to connect to a server you get the msg <Failed connect to server>. So what role plays a server which does not exist anymore and which one i never would try to connect again, because there is no server?

Since the lxnt server went down I played with a lot of friends via this server < UFO2000.XCOMUFO.COM >.

So what do you mean with switching, when there is only the possibility than to connect or not connect to a server which the user has to type in. There are no options which allow me to change any settings for the server.

Just type in which server to connect, which login and which password you want to use.

There is only one server online, so no switching.

My version is the last stable non-beta, so how could I update to a more recent version?

Even the most stable beta didnt work.

Is it so difficult to understand what I mean and what my problem is? OMFG

Edited by n-TOX!C

Yes, Yes it is.

Sounds like A Firewall problem or somthing. Does it fail to connect multiple times in a row? i recall a time when my firewall began to block ufo2k on startup for no reason and it took a second go to connect.

if youve a firewall, turn it off and try to connect. If that doesnt work, try a Fresh install.

Will the game just Refuse to connect or can you connect but cannot play with anyone?

I have a firewall and the firewall but turned off and nothing changed.

I tried a fresh install, nothing changed.

I tried another X-com game source, nothing changed.

I does not fail to connect.

I uploaded a picture this is the only screen I see after connecting to the server.

After pressing OK I'm back in main menu.

post-9458-1170325549_thumb.jpg

Mhh it's very confusing. This one you mentioned runs fine, I was sure that i've tested this version, but it is never the less the beta version. What about the non-Beta version?

Is anyone able to connect to a Server with the recent non-Beta?

There is no 'Recent' Non beta. To be honest, the Betas arent really that Beta'ry since most function fine with almost all features working and such. Just use 1064

I know what the features are and I don't like them.

The only improvement is the graphic.

I loved this game, because it was the only one which makes me feel playing really X-com in multiplayer except for the geoscape.

There were the original weapons, the original tactical screen everything was fine.

A bit off topic:

I don't understand the reasons for the creation of a UFO2000 version, with so much differences between X-Com tactical battles and UFO2000 itself. To tell the truth, I thought it was the aim to recreate a part of X-Com. So many firms and publishers attempted to clone the style of X-Com to tie up to the success of X-Com 1,2,3 ... and perhaps part 4. They all made one mistake I think, they tried to improve the game with features which influenced the whole game. It would have been successful to 'recover' and combine the ideas of the 3 first parts of X-Com I think.

So my problem I 'solved' because there seems to be no chance to play the non-Betas anymore. :Cry:

When you ask me, you can close this topic.

Edited by n-TOX!C

A bit off topic:

I don't understand the reasons for the creation of a UFO2000 version, with so much differences between X-Com tactical battles and UFO2000 itself.

The problem is balance. Humans will naturally exploit any imbalance in any weaponset to get the advantage over the opponent. Another problem is using the original game data, copyright and all that.

So just don't use these new features if you don't like them. The changes are incremental and we did not sacrifice or drop anything (without some really good reason). The game is highly configurable.

I loved this game, because it was the only one which makes me feel playing really X-com in multiplayer except for the geoscape.

There were the original weapons, the original tactical screen everything was fine.

There *are* original x-com weapons, x-com maps, x-com units, etc. They are only not distributed in the ufo2000 installer by default (the previous stable version did not contain them too). The only difference is that you were not able to start the game without x-com data files before. But now you can play using only free data files without any problems. If you are too lazy to install x-com data files, the game will have to use the new free graphics you don't like that much :)

A bit off topic:

I don't understand the reasons for the creation of a UFO2000 version, with so much differences between X-Com tactical battles and UFO2000 itself. To tell the truth, I thought it was the aim to recreate a part of X-Com. So many firms and publishers attempted to clone the style of X-Com to tie up to the success of X-Com 1,2,3 ... and perhaps part 4. They all made one mistake I think, they tried to improve the game with features which influenced the whole game. It would have been successful to 'recover' and combine the ideas of the 3 first parts of X-Com I think.

What is the point in making only exact x-com clone (let alone copyright issues)? Right now ufo2000 can be configured to behave as close to x-com as possible, but it can be also used to implement some other new nice features as well.

So my problem I 'solved' because there seems to be no chance to play the non-Betas anymore. :Cry:

The only reason for removing the previous 'stable' version from downloads (and not allowing it to connect to the server) was that it had some potential security issues and we did not have enough resources to backport the fixes to it from beta. Current beta is the best ufo2000 version right now and you are recommended to upgrade to it. I see no reasons not to do that.

A bit off topic:

I dont get it, there arent that many 'new' features added that cant be turned off (PGup for the old weaponsets and Xcom weapons!). Besides which UFO2K Never felt like the original Xcom games to begin with, It felt like a whole new breed of creature entirely. Sure ,it looked similar and handled in a similar manner but it isnt just an Xcom clone. Its so much more than that and you see it in the way the game plays.

Everything is still there and if you ask me, the Betas do Xcom more closely than the stable does. There are new Aliens from Xcom, same weapons from Xcom that have been ballanced and left in their original states, Better Night-time lighting implementation, More stability, more maps from Xcom and better implementation of Xcom physics and things. If you turn off all the 'new' features, all you will get is an older version of Ufo2000, not an Xcom based game. Turn them on and you will get one of the closest Xcom looking and feeling games avaliable, but it will never be Xcom.

Sounds to me more like you are just grasping at straws and if you dont like the current Beta, your not gonna like the New Stable when its ready ;)

Edited by Sporb