XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How Many Completed Games

Sergio

I have been playing on and off I guess 10 years almost. I have completed the game maybe 15 times mostly on Superhuman and I have been defeated twice.

A game takes anywhere between six and 100 hours depending on how many missions I go on and how anal I am about killing them all.

How many times have I completed the game? Hmm.... It's gotta be over 20 times. I'd have to say around 30. I remember losing 3 games, so that's a 10% loss rate. Not bad, considering that those times I lost happened when I first started playing.

Another question should be how many Cydonia missions you completed. Since I frequently test things out, I'd have to say well over 100. Lost maybe ten or so times (half were on purpose because I like to see blood). :)

Officially? (as in no cheating or just running random tests or reloading an almost finished save and doing it over and over again)

Well, I'd say 2 or 3 times (on differing difficulty levels). That's right, in over .. oh a long time. 8 years? I start many more games than I finish, see. Since the final battle is just like every other battle, except for the mixed crew and two-parter bit and the easier mission objective (no evactuation or complete base extermination required), it just doesn't feel all that significant (well, except for the first time I did it). I just find it a lot more fun to start a game than finish it.

- NKF

P. S: As it's more of a general conversation, I'm moving it to the X-Com: general-general section.

Blast, I left a link again. Let's see... prune link wasn't it? I think I'll just toss the move link into containment. Safer that way in case I mess up. Moral of story: Never let someone that's currently mentally and physically weary push dangerous buttons.

Edited by NKF

With saving and loading after each step: once on beginner, once on <whatever is next> and then I started on the third difficulty level, whatever that is called, and I think I finished it... but I'm not certain :unsure:

And once on beginner without ever loading (damn cyberdiscs!). Then I got my computer back from warranty and didn't have to use an old P2 so I could play newer games on it :P

Edited by Torgulf

0 times. I never played higher than Beginner.
Judge, same as me, never have I finished.  I have tried just about every level, but to no avail :(
Same here, it's so sad :boohoo:

I'm slightly better off: I managed I've beaten it twice on beginner, but I recently worked up the guts to try Veteran, thinking, "I'm good enough to beat it at that level!"

Boy, that was one mighty tasty piece of humble pie.

On another note, the reason why I don't often finish my games is because heavy plasmas appear too early- I like my guys being outgunned but somehow emerging victorious with their rifles and heavy cannons. Because of that, the mid-game is pretty boring for me.

-Asty

On another note, the reason why I don't often finish my games is because heavy plasmas appear too early- I like my guys being outgunned but somehow emerging victorious with their rifles and heavy cannons.  Because of that, the mid-game is pretty boring for me.

-Asty

Astyanax, try what I did:

Install XComUtil with these settings:

default starting base and ships

improved/new tanks, weapons and lasers (so you need elerium to build laser cannon)

research help from captured aliens

And use this "house rule": lasers cannot be researched until _after_ elerium has been successfully researched (the rationale being that powerful laser weapons that small would require an elerium based power source)

Or... a mini backpack nuclear reactor... Or i guess 10 car batteries... or maybe 50,000 Lithium or alkaline batteries... but maybe that would be a little bit heavy...

Astyanax, try what I did:

Install XComUtil with these settings:

default starting base and ships

improved/new tanks, weapons and lasers (so you need elerium to build laser cannon)

research help from captured aliens

And use this "house rule": lasers cannot be researched until _after_ elerium has been successfully researched (the rationale being that powerful laser weapons that small would require an elerium based power source)

Thanks for the tip, teukros. I'll try that the next time I fire up X-Com 1, though I fear that might make the game unwinnable for me. ^_^

But I'm currently trying (again!) to beat TFTD for the first time, so it might be a while before I experiment with XComUtil.

Or...  a mini backpack nuclear reactor...  Or i guess 10 car batteries...  or maybe 50,000 Lithium or alkaline batteries...  but maybe that would be a little bit heavy...

:OffTopic:

Yeah laser weapons require enormous power... they can't even figure out how to power lasers mounted inside 747s...

Back during the Cold War, I read about a Russian project (which I doubt ever made it to the prototype stage, assuming it ever existed at all) to power a battlefield (antitank?) laser gun using a rather unique, single-use power generator - it would have used a rocket to spin its turbine blades! :blink2: After being used once it would then have been discarded.

I wonder if something like that would work in a 747? :Hyper: