XCOMUFO & Xenocide

• 3 months later...
well, aliens NEVER pick their weapons up... and they should.

I agree.

They also should try to pickup other alien corpses, so that XCOM forces cannot research on them.

I do not concur. They should first try to destroy the Xeno soldiers, then try to destroy the corpses. The aliens send units on self destruct missions they wouldn't bother with picking up a corpse.

The 'prevent xcorps from getting tech' has been discussed, and was agreed that they see humans as 'dumb apes' that could never stand a chance.

But yeah. The no-pickup was an AI bug. Bugs will be fixed (or in more correct terms, not be made).

I'm sure some players would like to keep the no-pickup ability, and I think I have a minor solution to that. I'll elaborate in a second. But first, the conditions in which an alien will gladly pick up a dropped weapon.

Don't let the alien just pick stuff up at random or else they'll try to grab everything not bolted down! If you've seen the antics of the building guards in X-Com Apocalypse, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. (unless, of course, the alien's whole role in the game is to go stealing stuff at random for - uh - research! )

Perhaps they'll only pick up the gun they were using (i.e. the one they're carrying or has their DNA imprint (another idea to toss onto the ideas pile), or the next nearest usable weapon if their current weapon is depleted) -- UNTIL they research human tech and know how to handle the primitive weapons the apes use.

Morale. A panicking alien will more likely run away than pick up the weapon. A near death alien with superhuman morale set on fighting to the death would gladly pick up fallen comrades and start swinging them like bats (imagine a 10 foot tall and equally as wide muton on steroids)

And finally, to bring back the ability to stop aliens picking up weapons - some means of disabling their hands. Handcuffs, rope, or whatever they use these days - assuming of course it's strong enough to hold the alien and will not break.

Or heck, just shooting their arms off if you're a bloodthirsty lunatic who only wants to pick at its brains and have absolutely no regard for the rest of its body (with heavy penalties of course - perhaps with a more costlier(anesthetics) and longer interrogation time). ;)

No, no, that last one was a joke. I'm serious, don't even think of considering that option. Gore doesn't make a good game.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I like NKFs ideas. Also, the aliens race and rank might also prove usefull for the AI to figure out what to pick up.

Grays can NOT pick up heavy weapons. Satyrians can pick up everything but Gravity Distortion Launcher. Vipers and Murlocks can pick up all weapons. And Cloaks never technically pick up weapons in the first place, so of course they can also pick up weapons.

Normal soldiers can pick up what I said above. Engineers and Navigators can only go up to rifles (Including Grays). Medics can only carry pistols and stun launchers (Grays can't cary stun launchers?) but are the only rank that can carry psionic probes (can navigators do this as well?). Leaders and Commanders can use everything regardless of race.

On superhuman, every rank and race will be able to carry everything, and that by start of the game.

In order to be able to pick up human weaponry, you must leave behind said weaponry in battle, and then flee (not in crash sites) or lose your craft. You might even see the aliens carry them into battle! LOL! However, the aliens will use their xenium efficiency to boost up every single stat 10-50% (except weight)´depending on difficulty.

Also, aliens can't use psionic amplifiers, will never pick up corpses, and will not use the inferrior human grenade. They won't carry (AKA, will drop or not pick up) all ammo if they don't have the weapon for it (and it's not within 10 square equivilant inside known territory).

• 7 months later...
And finally, to bring back the ability to stop aliens picking up weapons - some means of disabling their hands. Handcuffs, rope, or whatever they use these days - assuming of course it's strong enough to hold the alien and will not break.

I was always ancy in X-COM games when I incapacitated an alien and didn't know if he'd wake up again. I'd stand over him and wish my soldiers had invented that sophisticated rope technology so they could keep him from running away again before I'd finished the mission. For the aliens that had built in weapons, this could be a real problem.

This time around, a way to more permanently secure them would be greatly appreciated.

As an idea, if sitting over the alien and tying him up takes so long that it sacrifices gameplay, perhaps you could just tape a little motion sensitive taser to him. Your soldier walks over, drops his little sticky package, and if the alien gets up he gets shocked back onto his donkey.

Perhaps they'll only pick up the gun they were using (i.e. the one they're carrying or has their DNA imprint (another idea to toss onto the ideas pile),

This is a good idea. "Smart guns" that recognize the hand that uses them are being proposed for human use, so why shouldn't aliens have mastered this technology? It would explain why you can't use alien weapons until you've researched them, which in the past never made sense to me.

Edited by MirariNefas

• 6 months later...
This is a good idea. "Smart guns" that recognize the hand that uses them are being proposed for human use, so why shouldn't aliens have mastered this technology? It would explain why you can't use alien weapons until you've researched them, which in the past never made sense to me.

This is becos your troopers dont now how to use it even if it is as simple as point and pull trigger they dont know that. Their not a scientist with unlimited time and equipment.

when they pick up ther like: WTF

Edited by kashyyk

I was never satisfied with that explanation. I have never used an AR-15 or M-270, but I am pretty sure I could push some switches to unlock the safety and eventually fire a round. Unless they fire these things with their minds("skul gun"), a soldier might be tempted in a dire situation to just press buttons and hope he didn't kill himself.

Perhaps they'll only pick up the gun they were using (i.e. the one they're carrying or has their DNA imprint (another idea to toss onto the ideas pile)

hmmm... the aliens are clones, aren't they? DNA imprint wouldn't work, as they are genetically identical (within each race, that is).

it would, however, be a possibility for the X-Corps soldiers. perhaps if the aliens would pick up human weapons and use them against you, this might be prevented by making human weapons human-only via DNA imprinting (even fingerprint scanners would work).

That's a good point Moriarty. A DNA imprinting technology for humans would seem more logical for them to have than a cloned race of aliens.

However, I do recall recently the entry for the alien breeding/cloning ufopedia thing. It states (while you can't do anything about it during the game) that the techniques used for cloning could be easily adapted for us to use (I suspect this is the key to the aliens' sucsess at infiltration).

What I'm getting to is that what you've said and that is after a point, when your dealing with different clone 'sects' (alien or human), the DNA imprinting technology goes back to working with a wider group of clones as opposed to individuals (not that you wouldn't have any left, just saying if you clone Joe, Joe 1-10 can use what Joe can which means things have to be made to equip all Joes).

Anyway, I'd propose that such a tech advancement fall between finding out about cloning technology through research, and actually being able to put it to some kind of use. What this also means is that every so often, research will be required to uncover each new faction of DNA imprinting that comes along. (another good reason to hold onto scientists and pay their exorbitant fees to boot).

All that is needed to discover the new offshoot DNA imprint is a corpse of the relevant alien (or if playing as aliens who need to research stuff too) or humans.

This can also mean that aliens can pick up and use your weapons longer than you could have with theirs. That is if they want to go to the trouble which I think any warrior might.

• 4 months later...

Hee hee.. skul gun..

Is it bad if I get that reference?

But anyway, I think that all these ideas are great, especially the rope. Managed to stun that cryssalid? Tie it up in some alien-alloy rope and just leave it there. No more formerly unconcious aliens zombifying your crew.