XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Revenge Of The Cyberdisc

Selmak

This is one terror mission where you thank your stars if you brought mostly laser weapons. I faced off against no fewer than EIGHT Cyberdiscs, there was maybe half a dozen Sectoids with them as well. Unsurprisingly, I managed to save only three civvies out of a (im)possible twelve.

I'll have to remember and start saving these sorts of freaky missions ;)

Recently, I was playing a Terror mission on Superhuman to test my abilities against Sectoids and Cyberdiscs. Everything started out okay as I killed 8 Sectoids in the first round. The next round all heck broke loose. :cussing:

Multiple civilian deaths were recorded simply because Cyberdiscs were everywhere. Luckily, I had some super-soldiers along who could shoot with a Laser Rifle like nobody’s business. After polishing off those discs, I continued on killing Sectoids. No more civies were killed after that second round (strangely quiet).

Just before the mission ended, my troops counted the casualties:

10 Cyberdiscs,

14 Sectoids, and

12 Civilians all dead.

But wait, it gets better. I determined that the 10 Cyberdiscs were the reason for all the civilian deaths in the second round. Any remaining Sectoids were too far away to have killed the civies. Since the end-of-mission report stated that there were only 12 civilians present, all of them died in one round via Cyberdiscs. I gotta hand it to those discs, they are tough! :P

Hold on, here is the best part. I looked up in the Official Strategy Guide (OSG, by David Ellis) to see how many aliens could potentially be found in a Sectoid Terror Mission: 14 Sectoids and 10 Cyberdiscs. Wait, I had just played the worst possible scenario and lost every civilian to the aliens! Still, I had an overall positive score and I considered the mission a total success since all my troops survived the onslaught. Without the Laser Rifles and the impressive shooting from my soldiers, things could have turned out a lot worse! :hmmm:

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
Not that this is nearly as difficult as cyberdiscs, I just found it kinda odd. A floater terror mission (one of the best, easiest kind!) Pulled the tank out of the skyranger. There was 4 reapers to the left, and 4 reapers to the right. Well 1 rocket, and 2 high explosives later, there was nothing but a hole in the ground, alot of smoke, and the smell of burnt reaper hair (ewwwwww). The rest of the mission was easy easy easy.

Not that this is really related, but does anyone use the cyberdisk explosion to their adavantage? I remember that once there was a cyberdisk in a gas station, and I didn't have a really good gun (I had brought laser rifles, but the guy who saw it had panicked the turn before. But had got a few shots the turn before.) So I threw the alien grenade at it (Prime 0). This caused the CyberDisk to explode, blowing up the gas tanks next to it, plus the alien grenade destroyed the entire gas station and most of the buildings next to it. Unfortunately at the debriefing, aliens killed 2 civies, and I killed 5. :P

I try and avoid levelling the town to get to the aliens when possible, but Cyberdiscs seems to blow up almost every time when they're taken down by a laser rifle. Heavy laser seems to knock them down without an explosions sometimes though. Could be the higher damage rating I guess. Edited by Selmak

I've had cyberdisks not explode. I don't know why, but i think the higher damage might do have something to do with it - perhaps Zombie or NKF should look into this

The reason why Cyberdiscs sometimes do not explode is because of one thing: Stun Damage. "But wait, I wasn't even using a stun weapon." I can hear you saying. True, but all weapon types in the game produce some level of stun (possibly due to impact since the levels are usually rather low).

So, as an example: say you shoot at a beginner level Cyberdisc with a Heavy Plasma using the snap shot. Just for giggles, let's assume the weapon does 130 for damage (it could do a max of 230). The game first subtracts the armor rating from the total initial damage dealt (for the Cyberdisc it's 17 everywhere on Beginner). So 130 - 17 = 113. The 113 points of damage is then applied to the units health of 120. 120 - 113 = 7. This is the current health of the Cyberdisc. But there may be as much as 10 or 15 points of stun inflicted along with the damage. All the game would need to do is roll a 8 for stun damage and the Cyberdisc falls to the ground harmlessly (without the explosion) due to the fact that stun > health.

As a side note, has anyone tried stunning a Cyberdisc (or Sectopod) with Stun Rods? I have. Since the Stun Rods only produce stun (not damage)all you need is an average of 3 pokes and the Cyberdisc falls down. NO explosion is formed when this unit is stunned. This is what leads me to believe that stun is the culprit, not just good luck! :)

- Zombie

Not that this is really related, but does anyone use the cyberdisk explosion to their adavantage?  I remember that once there was a cyberdisk in a gas station, and I didn't have a really good gun (I had brought laser rifles, but the guy who saw it had panicked the turn before.  But had got a few shots the turn before.)  So I threw the alien grenade at it (Prime 0). This caused the CyberDisk to explode, blowing up the gas tanks next to it, plus the alien grenade destroyed the entire gas station and most of the buildings next to it.  Unfortunately at the debriefing, aliens killed 2 civies, and I killed 5. :P

I did better;

Sectoid base raid.

I send a squaddie down with a Heavy Plasma, there's a Cyberdisk waiting a little way outside. He kills it. BOOM!

The resulting explosion takes out the cyberdisk, him...

And the OTHER Cyberdisk, hiding a little way behind the first!

It was a classic tale of self sacrifice... :boohoo:

Surprisingly, I don't think the second one exploded.

Edited by Exo2000

As a side note, has anyone tried stunning a Cyberdisc (or Sectopod) with Stun Rods? I have. Since the Stun Rods only produce stun (not damage)all you need is an average of 3 pokes and the Cyberdisc falls down. NO explosion is formed when this unit is stunned. This is what leads me to believe that stun is the culprit, not just good luck!

Interesting, I had a man weilding a stun rod on my last mission and a man with a small launcher and I was pondering this exact action but chickened out :)

I ended up blasting them to bits with the small launcher, it was more than they could bear and I didn't get to research a live one unfortunately :)

Zombie, i figured the cyberdisk was stunned, but then i didn't want to say something wrong, since everyone says that you cannot capture a living cyberdisk...

Zombie, i figured the cyberdisk was stunned, but then i didn't want to say something wrong, since everyone says that you cannot capture a living cyberdisk...

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1ufopaedia/pics/big/shot0086.png

If you can't capture a live Disk... why's there a UFOPedia entry? :D

You get that information from medics. Tattletales.

- NKF

You know, when I first started playing X-COM, I intentionally stunned a Cyberdisc on a mission just to see what my scientists had to say about it. Darn it! When I got back to base the only thing in the stores were dead Cyberdiscs. In the mean time, I researched everything else I could.

Later, on one mission I sunned 2 Sectoid Medics and on a whim, decided to research them. Low and behold, one gave info on the Sectopod and the other tattled about the Cyberdisc. Ah-ha! Now I knew how to get that info. :)

I think the four spaces of a cyberdisk have something to do with not being able to research them - i remember a conversation about it a while ago but don't remember where it was

I think it would be cool if the medics would point out any weaknesses in cyberdisks since they are the sectoid terror unit... like, right here it is weak, so hit here and it goes down fast... which gives you plus 50% damage :P then it would be easy, but fun to destroy them

oh you're right - i forgot about that

I'm thinking that the explosions not going off just means they are stunned, but they have failsafes not to get stunned so they just die silently. You can tell this by the fact that they don't get up after being stunned

It's possible that they have no stun regeneration (unlike humans or aliens) so they don't recover from any stun damage they take.

As I said, the second Cyberdisk, behind the first, didn't explode. I think, possibly, it was actually so close to the explosion from the first it was vaporised. :huh:

(I know there was one behind it - I killed two ingame, and the aftergame report showed 3 Cyberdisks, as did the XCUtil aftergame report.)

Edited by Exo2000

I've seen a stunned reaper get up - once. It took 2 Hover/Plasma Cannon shots and dropped without a scream, then got up a few turns later. Not like that helped it much against the floating tanks though. :D

just wait, one day, you'll have a reaper get behind you and maul like thee soldiers to death

It is very rare, but the one time it happened to me i got the crap scared out of me by the roaring... wasn't even expecting it

• 2 years later...