XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The All Department Newsletter

Mad

There is a new version of the "all department newsletter" on the Wiki! [url="http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/General:newsletter#The_all_department_newsletter"]Check it out![/url] :) Edited by Mad

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jan 23 2006, 06:54 PM']The skyranger model isn't exactly complete... the modelling part is mostly done.
[right][post="144804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Sorry, that's what I was told by Vaaish...

---Edit---
typo... Edited by Mad

Well, as I understand it (and as I've been posting in the news), the model is the model, no textures involved. When we say that "x has completed texturing y model", means that both model and textures are complete. And animations... well... besides Vaaish's Collector animation, which is just a rotating camera, I don't think anyone is going to confuse a model with an animation.

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jan 23 2006, 09:35 PM']What I was saying is that 'the model is complete' is vague in that it could mean that the geometry is complete or the textures are also complete or that everything including the animations are complete.
[right][post="144830"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
If the model is complete, can someone post a render? We should show our progress on the news, and new models are always appealing.

I think I meant to say that Skyranger MODELING was complete. I'm well aware that the texture are not done for this mesh.

I apologize for the confusion.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jan 25 2006, 01:38 PM']I think I meant to say that Skyranger MODELING was complete. I'm well aware that the texture are not done for this mesh.

I apologize for the confusion.
[right][post="144937"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
No problem at all. :)

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jan 25 2006, 10:17 AM']It looks pretty much the same as it did last time.  It just has a hole in the donkey now.
[right][post="144936"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Is it alright if I use those older pics for news, then?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Azrael' date='Jan 25 2006, 12:15 PM'][quote name='fux0r666' date='Jan 25 2006, 10:17 AM']It looks pretty much the same as it did last time.  It just has a hole in the donkey now.
[right][post="144936"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Is it alright if I use those older pics for news, then?
[right][post="144941"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
I'll take that as a "do whatever you want".

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Feb 5 2006, 07:58 AM']I don't actually really check this thread.

I, personally, wouldn't show anything until it's done- but the media is there.  I can't stop you from using it.
[right][post="145819"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I personally wouldn't use anything until it's done, but if you say that the model is done, it would be [i]nice[/i] to post a render so:
1) The rest of us can see, as many (including myself) enjoy seeing progress, whatever department it is. PX is about fun (for most of us), and watching new models, new programming, new whatever is [i]fun[/i], maybe new concept for some people.
2) I post news, news attract people, people attract other people, one of those people might be an artist, artist might want to join PX, PX might want to recruit artist, I get to see yet more progress, I am happy. Edited by Azrael

This is sort of the ambiguity of language with regards to this model again. I mean, when it is skinned and looks like an airplane, I would post pictures of it.

There is some geometry on there that's pretty broken, especially one the tail-boom. It looks like crumpled paper that was re-flattened... like it has a cellulite problem.. or whatever. It's bad (rough) worksmanship on my part, and I don't know what kind of artist that that would attract.

I mean, as the person who is in charge of this sort of thing, would you rather post "Xenocide: Slightly better than a near-sighted, homeless wino could scrape into the side of a ditch with a stick," or maybe something a little more attention grabbing?

As for *MY* progress, I'm afraid you won't be seeing anything from me this month. I have much too much on my plate to worry about this for now. Edited by fux0r666

Same here, exam and RL take too much time from me atm..

Nevertheless, it's a completed model, and people like seeing that PX is not dead and has something new, no mean to offend, but I think the only person that is bothered by a non-skinned model is you, I love to see the renders of every change (I enjoy seeing Darkhomb posting his Raptor renders, for instance). And I'm not sure what you mean by bad worksmanship, even if it's not your best work, it does look very good.

And no, I'm not the person in charge, in fact I wish there was someone in charge.

I apologise if I sound upset or anything, I'm not, it's just that I know many of us enjoy seeing art / music / programming progress, and when you guys just take all on IM and don't show renders to anyone, it does bother me a bit, but that's just me (it's not as if taking a render and posting it is such a hard job anyway...) (btw, I'm not mentioning Creative Text as we post all of our progress since our main work site is the forums ^_^)

[color="grey"] Anyone interested in posting the news, please let me know, I have no time to do it properly lately [/color]

• 1 month later...
Aaalright, I think it is time for a little advertising... :)
There is (as every two weeks in the last four months or so) a new version of the newsletter available on the Wiki.
In a related matter, I would like to ask everyone to PM me if you think you are doing something which should go in the next edition of the newsletter. And by this, I mean not only in the next two weeks, but [i]always[/i]. This way, your work will not be missed - something which can happen very quick, especailly if you are not documenting your progress in the forums.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The latest copy of the [url="http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/General:newsletter"]All Departments Newsletter[/url] is now online and ready to be read.
Since there were no objections to my last effort, I decided to try my hand at it again. Better late than never. :wink1:

Mad, you may want to clean it up a bit. I threw it together in a haste. :blush1:

- Zombie Edited by Zombie

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
When is the next issue due? :)

:) You got me. Ok. This hasn't been updated quite a while. I'm not a saint. ;) Thing is, this always takes around two hours to make, and kafros is in the middle of his exams, so am I. So I thought the time might be better invested in working on CTs, than releasing several issues with "nothing happened". Ok, but I will try to release a mega-issue covering the whole time since the last issue as soon as I'm done with my exam. Maybe kafros is faster. we'll see.

Edit: You know, it's quite tricky to keep the pace. Every two weeks can be tricky to keep up to alone.

Edited by Mad

• 6 months later...

I'm stoked. One of the recruits (taz0k) has made a patch to the XNA Xenocide code, then filmed it and uploaded the video to YouTube.

This gives people who can't run XNA a chance to see how the project is going.

You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s47cnHjr2so

I wonder if someone might like to do another one, showing all the features we've got so far.

Edited by dteviot
typo