XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Azrael's Log

Guest Azrael Strife

- Whoooooooooooooo! Fallen is ALIVE! I've been testing chat and forum with Loki, and he showed me a sample of the tile rendering system, excellent! not bad at all for 9 days of work!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- The Fallen is now hosted in mindstormmaster's servers! we've taken his kind offer and now Loki is setting things up, as soon as the new domain is set he'll start moving things to the new server =b

- Yesterday died, of cancer, Horacio "Corto" Buscaglia, writer, musician, artist.
This is the article about his death from La Republica (The Republic):
[quote]A LOS 62 AÑOS, AYER FALLECIO HORACIO BUSCAGLIA
"Y el Corto agarró y se fue"
* Falleció ayer de madrugada Horacio Buscaglia, a los 62 años de edad. Horacio Buscaglia, compañero del Multimedio Plural, en la actualidad se desempeñaba como asesor en medios de comunicación en la Secretaría de Prensa y Difusión de Presidencia de la República.

"El Corto'' nació el 23 de marzo de 1943, fue director teatral, actor, publicista, músico, además de ser uno de los fundadores de Canciones para no dormir la siesta, grupo que integró entre los años 1975 y 1990.

Durante su carrera participó en el Carnaval como letrista, actividad a la que volvió este año con Diablos Verdes.

Durante años fue columnista del diario LA REPUBLICA, de la columna amarilla de la contratapa.

Multifacético, el "Corto" Buscaglia le dio dura batalla a un cáncer de colon durante varios meses.

Cuando supo que estaba enfermo, lo enfrentó con el arma de su vida: el humor y lo escribió en la Columna Amarilla. No dejó de trabajar hasta el final, no sólo en su labor periodística o en su puesto como asesor en la Secretaría de Prensa y Difusión de la Presidencia, sino también componiendo junto a Rada canciones para niños o escribiendo obras de teatro y colaborando con los murguistas de los Diablos Verdes, con quienes estuvo hasta hace unos días.

El "Corto" Buscaglia fue un referente fundamental de la música y la cultura uruguaya, desde mediados de los años sesenta, compartiendo tareas de composición con Mateo, Pippo Spera, Urbano Moraes y Ruben Rada, entre otros, escribiendo para niños y adultos, comprometiéndose políticamente con su tiempo y su forma de encarar la cultura.

En una entrevista que fuera publicada en el portal Montevideo.com afirmó que "siempre estoy por escribir una obra sobre las cosas que me movilizan y me preocupan de esta sociedad pero siempre termino tirándola a la papelera". Escribía diariamente "La columna amarilla" en el diario LA REPUBLICA, donde "en unas 400 palabras hago pública mi opinión sobre diferentes hechos políticos, sociales y culturales que suelen suceder en el reino de este mundo".

Desde que nació, no paró de crear, incluso cuando la enfermedad lo quería postrar. Su batalla con el cáncer de colon culminó ayer en la madrugada.

"Y bueno... al final se hizo público y ya no puedo hacerme el gil. La cosa es así: en enero me operaron de un cáncer de colon, durante estos meses me he estado haciendo las duras y famosas quimioterapias. Las banqué bastante bien. Uno no sólo es un hueso duro de roer sino que además hace tiempo que tomé la decisión de que me voy a ir cuando yo lo decida y no cuando a cualquier vieja huesuda, venga en la forma en que venga, se le ocurra darme el guadañazo".

Buscaglia fue velado y sepultado ayer en el cementerio del Buceo. A su velatorio asistieron autoridades de gobierno, desde el presidente de la República, Tabaré Vázquez y el vice Rodolfo Nin Novoa, y otros dirigentes políticos y militantes sociales, hasta una pléyade de hombres y mujeres de la cultura uruguaya y amigos varios que tuvieron en el Corto un referente, pero más que eso, un ser humano excepcional.

La redacción de LA REPUBLICA, sus teléfonos, sus faxes y las casillas de correo electrónico no pararon de recibir muestras de dolor y saludos donde se expresa profunda consternación.

La Dirección Nacional de Fucvam, por ejemplo, envió nota que dice: "Podríamos definirlo de muchas maneras, su vida ha sido una permanente muestra de inacabable talento y batalla por causas dignas. Más de tres generaciones de uruguayos aplaudimos sus ocurrencias, sus poesías, sus músicas, sus personajes y sus muestras de compromiso inalterable con el cambio y la esperanza. Los cooperativistas nos sumamos al dolor y la impotencia que hoy los uruguayos sentimos al momento de perder un compañero de tantas jornadas. Hasta siempre "Corto", hasta el último aplauso."

Entre otras autoridades diplomáticas que se unieron al duelo del pueblo uruguayo por la muerte de Horacio Buscaglia, la embajadora de la República Bolivariana de Venezuela, María Urbaneja Durant, firma este testimonio y homenaje: "Animador fundamental de las últimas cuatro décadas en el movimiento cultural uruguayo, Buscaglia cumplió una brillante tarea, alinéandose siempre junto a las causas más justas y combatiendo el imperialismo y la desigualdad. Fue un militante por la vida que demostró con hechos en más de una ocasión su apoyo y solidaridad con procesos de transformación en el continente, y con el bolivariano especialmente, por lo que es considerado un amigo de nuestro pueblo (...), queremos darle el adiós a alguien que ha dejado una huella indeleble en nuestros corazones". *[/quote]

I'll miss reading his column on the paper and his funny and intelligent articles :(

Found a nice article from his "Yellow column", the translation kills it, but still:
[quote]10 more reasons why I don't support the war

1. There is no music in war.

The clamour of bombs, the rattling of machineguns, the noise of houses crumbling, the screams of the wounded, the crying of the children next to their dead parents and other sounds belonging to this sort of event do not tune with Sol major.

2. Because I agree with George W. Bush.

With the Bush from the 60s that cut three-inch rods, that wasn't as handsomeish and warmonger as today, for which his dad put money and influences so that he would stay in USA fighting squirrels.

3. Because neither Bush, nor Powell, nor Cheney, nor Rumsfeld, nor Condoleezza Rice, nor Saddam Hussein, nor Blair, nor Aznar, nor Don Francisco, nor Big Brother, nor Operacion Triunfo or any of those things (and not even the neighbor who lets his dog poo in my front lawn) are going to be in the first wave of combatants and will not smell the gunpowder.

4. Because I have nothing to do with oil. Not even with that "spirit" that would make your hair grow.

5. Because I don't have anything to do with weapon-manufacturing either.

The farthest I got was to make a slingshot and a sword with a broomstick.

6. Because I like people "dying" of love, happyness and laughter, and not of steel, uranium and fire.

7. Because I think that smart people are those that fight against mediocrity and the reactionary and not three thousand bombs thrown from far away by a mediocre reactionary.

8. Because that of making love and not war, that I've been doing since the 60s, seems far more fun to me.

9. Because and because not.

10. Because Camilo, my grandson who is soon to be four, is looking at me with his new eyes.[/quote] Edited by Azrael

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am not having a lot of time lately, reason why I haven't posted anything beyond meaningless stuff, I hope I can get more time after Feb. 9th. Today I went as moral support to my gf's exam, woke up at 5:30 AM to wake her up, then stayed awake as I wouldn't wake up again if I went to sleep again, then went to her faculty at 8:30 AM, got there shortly afterwards, the exam began a bit after 9 AM, I think, we left the faculty at like... 1 PM?, anyway, I met some of her schoolmates so we stayed there and just hanged out for a few hours, she passed her exam with top marks, one point below max. We came back to my place afterwards and hanged out until 8:30 PM. Going to study a bit now before going to bed, hope that studying before bedtime will make my brain assimilate this crap more effectively (well, has worked before...).
Fun day, nonetheless, but I'm real tired, and tomorrow is another hectic day; I have to meet with someone I don't want to ever see again, but I just *have* to, which will not make my day any fun, and later on I have a... something, with some of my gf's friends, maybe we'll go dancing or something. Sunday is study day, no rest, crap, and monday i have a party... then it's all study until thursday, when I have my Economy exam, which I plan to pass (hopefully).
Life's getting pretty busy lately, not only because of the study, I hope I can get back on track after thursday, haven't even had the time to properly work on Fallen's economy system.
Anyway, since I don't want to get too distracted, I don't think I'll be reading many of the posts here, so apologies to all.

edit: this song is great ^_^

[quote] 
Una nueva noche fría
Callejeros.

Voces, sólo voces, como ecos;
como atroces chistes sin gracia.
Hace mucho tiempo escucho voces y ni una palabra.
Y mis ojos maltratados se refugian en la nada
y se cansan de ver un montón de caras y ni una mirada.
Una nueva noche fría en el barrio,
los tranzas se llenan los bolsillos.
Las calles son nuestras, aunque el tiempo diga lo contrario.
Y los sueños no soñados,
ya se amargan la garganta y se callan.
Y eso, casi siempre (o siempre), les encanta.
Van quedando pocas sonrisas,
prisioneros de esta cárcel de tiza.
Se apagó el sentido,
se encendió un silencio de misa.
Menos horas en la vida, más respuestas a una causa perdida:
de porqué los sentimientos, vuelven con el día.
Solo, como un pájaro que vuela en la noche
(libre de vos...pero no de mí)
Vacío, como el sueño de una gorra.
Lleno de nada, sin saber donde ir.
Duro como un muerto en su tumba que murió de miedo,
por el valor de vivir.
Las nubes no son de algodones y las depresiones son maldiciones.
Te va distrayendo, te enrosca,
te lleva y te come.
Te lastima y no perdona y en algún lugar te roba la cara,
la sonrisa, la esperanza, la fé en las personas.[/quote] Edited by Azrael

- [url="http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/games/bitter--a-pint-please"]Read this article, by FullAuto[/url], remember, big boys' language.

- The Fallen now has basic navigation working. [url="http://www.thefallenproject.net"]Click me![/url] Edited by Azrael

[img]http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comics/strips/20030809.gif[/img]
[url="http://www.leasticoulddo.com"]Least I could do[/url] Edited by Azrael

[quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:54 AM']Weird sence of humor... I'll take Dilbert any day...
[right][post="146118"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I was going to say that Dilbert is not online, but [url="http://www.dilbert.com/"]yes it is[/url] :D

- Took the exam yesterday, of course I woke up at 4:30 AM, I can barely sleep when I have a big test. Well, it wasn't as bad as it seemed, 30 questions, topics were Descriptive Economy, Uruguay, Latin America and Globalisation, Macroeconomy and Microeconomy. I think I did very good in Uruguay, Latin America and Macroeconomy, ok in Descriptive and I absolutely sucked at Micro. I studied from different sources and yet I could not grab the stupid concepts, so I didn't really understand anything, I left those questions unanswered (wrong answers substract points <_<).
I hope I passed, I don't want to see Economy ever again...

- I've just finished tweaking the energy tiles for Fallen, I'm now using [url="http://www.gimp.org/"]The Gimp[/url] as my graphic software of choice, I got Photoshop 5.0 and Photoshop CS 9.0 installed as well, but for a complete amateur like me, The Gimp does nicely :)

- My pleas for larger avatar room and several other issues have been ignored, again, I'll take my frustration to Halo...

- Currently looking for [s]victims[/s] players to play StarCraft, if anyone is up to [s]being squashed like a roach[/s] a game, please do PM me ^_^ Edited by Azrael

[quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 11 2006, 12:04 AM']AOE was crap of a game. Second one at least. Haven't seen first and third, but I'm sure they aren't better. StarCraft is really good, yeah. Although I never understood multiplayer... I mean, what the fun, quickly build a big bunch of zerglings and send them wave after a wave?
[right][post="146241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I like Terrans :) But I can't direct connect :( I can't see the option, must be in Brood War. I want SC Ghost!

[quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:04 AM']AOE was crap of a game. Second one at least. Haven't seen first and third, but I'm sure they aren't better. StarCraft is really good, yeah. Although I never understood multiplayer... I mean, what the fun, quickly build a big bunch of zerglings and send them wave after a wave?

You need to be SHOT man, SHOT for your heresay. :)

[quote name='dipstick' date='Feb 11 2006, 07:13 PM'][quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:04 AM']AOE was crap of a game. Second one at least. Haven't seen first and third, but I'm sure they aren't better. StarCraft is really good, yeah. Although I never understood multiplayer... I mean, what the fun, quickly build a big bunch of zerglings and send them wave after a wave?

[right][post="146268"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Why don't you eat sh1t? many flies and roaches would agree with you :P

AOE 1 was a good RTS, granted, but not "the best", also, TA, honestly, sucked :P a lot. Our online gaming proved that the game was severly disbalanced, even more with TAUCP, sheesh :P
AOE 2 was... slightly better than AOE 1.
Me, however, when I think of good RTSs I think of Command & Conquer (The original, not that Generals bull**it), I think of WarCraft 2, of StarCraft, those are great RTSs!

[quote name='SupSuper']And I'm also a reader of LICD.[/quote]
^_^

Hey Sup, what's that new avatar? I can't make out what it is. Edited by Azrael

[quote name='dipstick' date='Feb 11 2006, 02:13 PM'][quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:04 AM']AOE was crap of a game. Second one at least. Haven't seen first and third, but I'm sure they aren't better. StarCraft is really good, yeah. Although I never understood multiplayer... I mean, what the fun, quickly build a big bunch of zerglings and send them wave after a wave?

[/quote]

AOE was like... I don't know... Like soap opera (not a direct analogy mind you). Absolutely devoid of any meaning. Empty and boring (and I played it when I didn't play too many games yet, I was just starting). I spent two hours and I knew what the rest will look like. I spent two days and dumped it. It felt exactly like Empire of Earth (or something like that, forgot exact name) which was based on it I think...

And the main thing: single player for AOE suks greatly! Since I don't play multiplayer, you can imagine what opinion I have on it :P.

(PS, and I haven't played Warcraft 2, ever :)).

[quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 12 2006, 02:01 AM'][quote name='dipstick' date='Feb 11 2006, 02:13 PM'][quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Feb 11 2006, 01:04 AM']AOE was crap of a game. Second one at least. Haven't seen first and third, but I'm sure they aren't better. StarCraft is really good, yeah. Although I never understood multiplayer... I mean, what the fun, quickly build a big bunch of zerglings and send them wave after a wave?

[/quote]

AOE was like... I don't know... Like soap opera (not a direct analogy mind you). Absolutely devoid of any meaning. Empty and boring (and I played it when I didn't play too many games yet, I was just starting). I spent two hours and I knew what the rest will look like. I spent two days and dumped it. It felt exactly like Empire of Earth (or something like that, forgot exact name) which was based on it I think...

And the main thing: single player for AOE suks greatly! Since I don't play multiplayer, you can imagine what opinion I have on it :P.

(PS, and I haven't played Warcraft 2, ever :)).
[right][post="146290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
HOW DARE YOU! EMPIRE EARTH IS SIMPLY AWESOME!!! :Rant:

Just one word, Starcraft... I dont think this is just your log anymore :P... Edited by Shinzon

Empire Earth was based on AOE, and it came out several years after it ;)

AOE is great, and so is TA Az, you have to LEARN the game first!

I admit, I am losing a heck of a lot playing AOE 3 multiplayer, even a 'no rush' game. Within minutes I was on the floor :D BUT I keep going back for more, and that is the trademark of a great game.

C&C, well, never really played that, but thought it was a little....strange.

[quote name='dipstick' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:23 AM']Empire Earth was based on AOE, and it came out several years after it ;)[/quote]
So? it was better nonetheless! Granted, Empire Earth 2 sucked big time...

[quote]AOE is great, and so is TA Az, you have to LEARN the game first![/quote]
Excuse me? says the guy who invariably lost against me in multiplayer? hmmm?

[quote]C&C, well, never really played that, but thought it was a little....strange.
[right][post="146335"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Wait until the First Decade comes out B)

[quote][quote]AOE is great, and so is TA Az, you have to LEARN the game first![/quote]
[/quote]

I would like to underline that learning a game and using rush tactics/nuclear warfare are two entirely different things, and that 3 player free for all rarely ends out in a fair game.

In any case, TAUCP was balanced, but IIRC *someone* was screaming about too many units :naughty:

[quote name='dipstick' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:36 AM'][quote][quote]AOE is great, and so is TA Az, you have to LEARN the game first![/quote]
[/quote]

I would like to underline that learning a game and using rush tactics/nuclear warfare are two entirely different things, and that 3 player free for all rarely ends out in a fair game.

In any case, TAUCP was balanced, but IIRC *someone* was screaming about too many units :naughty:
[right][post="146337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
I beat YOU with too many units.
I also remember saving your butt when the Banzai AI was coming for you :P
And I learnt the game well enough to kick your butt :D more than once.

- My StarCraft CD Key, for no apparent reason, has been disabled, and the funny thing is I can't contact Blizzard, cause they ask me for a battle.net account which I don't have and for some stupid reason I cannot seem to find where to sign up for one, and their support email has been automated so it takes me to their forums, where they ask me for the account number before posting, and I can't direct connect, jackasses!

- I'm progressing with PHP, gone through how it handles variables and conditional statements (besides some other minor stuff), hope I can get into functions soon so I can start reading the code for Fallen.

[quote name='dipstick' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:36 PM']I would like to underline that learning a game and using rush tactics/nuclear warfare are two entirely different things,[/quote]

Now you have my full support here.

To reduce the rush you guys can play on custom map with islands or something. So one can't just march forth :)

[quote name='Azrael' date='Feb 12 2006, 03:13 AM']Hey Sup, what's that new avatar? I can't make out what it is.
[right][post="146285"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
[attachment=8531:attachment]
It's me! :P

Also, C&C is the father of all of today's RTS, so don't you judge it! Well, technically, Dune 2 is, but C&C came soon after. Edited by SupSuper

Oh, it's ... something, I didn't realise it was you on your computer.

- Progressing with PHP, I am beginning to understand Loki's code, going through Arrays and iterations, tomorrow I hope to finish with functions and start reading about interaction with the MySQL database. So far I'm finding this easier than Pascal.

- Made a banner for The Fallen, well, several, actually, lots of tweaking in Photoshop and The Gimp came out with something decent, at least Loki likes it :)

- Apparently the way to register for StarCraft is via the game itself, hadn't seen that option, I registered and I'm waiting... something, an email, a letter, a freaking sign, something that allows me to play the stupid game online.

- Since I got nothing else to share today, here's the evolution of Zero from the X series to the Zero series.

[attachment=8534:attachment][attachment=8533:attachment] Edited by Azrael

- Read about functions in PHP, easy stuff.

- Made my first incursion into the actual code of the game; I changed some mistakes in the Players database concerning ship names, shrunk ship pics from 64x64 to 32x32 so they can show on the Other Ships better and uploaded them into the server, deleted some useless copies, and modified the php files to expect the new file extensions; Loki guided me along the way, I had to look for a new function online though, but was very interesting experience :) but I definitely need to read about MySQL queries with PHP as it still confuses me.

- I got Civilization IV today, great graphics, but I can't help but feel that they are kinda unnecessary for a game of this kidn.

- The Fallen had its first flame war in chat, aphrodite, Loki and me were involved. The issue has made it evident the need for measures against such events in the future. Edited by Azrael

- I've learnt enough PHP to implement my first feature, the hyperspace jump, now ships can jump from one test sector to the second I made yesterday.

- The Da Vinci Code is one of the best books I've read in a while, it's been long since a book got me so bad that I have a hard time stopping reading it. I'm looking forward to reading Angels & Demons afterwards, by the same author, book in which the main character of the Da Vinci Code also appears. It's so fun to see the church saying it's all a lie and saying the book is this and that and don't read it because blah blah blah, they don't seem to realise the more they speak against something, the more people want to read / watch it, looking forward to the movie!

- Now I'm disappointed with Halo, great game, great engine and I'm very impressed with the physics, but once you get to the Flood, the game loses it's charm and becomes boring, too bad, I was having fun.

Sorry to intrude, but I just have to say this...

[quote name='Azrael' date='Feb 22 2006, 04:51 PM']- The Da Vinci Code is one of the best books I've read in a while, it's been long since a book got me so bad that I have a hard time stopping reading it. I'm looking forward to reading Angels & Demons afterwards, by the same author, book in which the main character of the Da Vinci Code also appears. It's so fun to see the church saying it's all a lie and saying the book is this and  that and don't read it because blah blah blah, they don't seem to realise the more they speak against something, the more people want to read / watch it, looking forward to the movie!
[right][post="146911"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I absolutely and totally agree! Is one of my favourite books after all. Read Meteor - by the same author - it's not as good as the Da Vinci Code, but it's fascinating nevertheless. Edited by Mad

1) It's a nice thing you like working on Fallen Az, good job and good luck =b

2) Ok, I really don't want to be mean with you guys, but I just have to express my opinion:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4065895.stm"]French fatigue over Da Vinci Code[/url]

Ok, Dan Brown has some talent, as he was able to write a few books that became best sellers and helped him create a huge fan club. [b]THERE IS NO PROBLEM READING DAN BROWN'S BOOKS IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THEM![/b]

[b]But[/b], involving all that fictional stuff in his books and making people believe they are true, hey, that's bad! Mr. Brown, don't make people more stupid than they already are...

Opus Dei, cryptography, Da Vinci, and many many more... That gets annoying...

All the Dan Brown universe is just the latest trend in "best-sellers"

[url="http://www.the-manifest.org/tm2/22/conspiracy.html"]Conspiracy in Art: A Dan-to-Dan Letter By Dan Schneider[/url]

[url="http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/blog/?p=570"]http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/blog/?p=570[/url]

[quote name='From a blog']I agree with max. I quite enjoyed reading The Da Vinci Code despite it’s factual inaccuracies, predictable plot and paper thin characters. It took me an evening to read and was better than anything that I would otherwise have watched on telly.

Digital Fortress on the other hand just pissed me off. I only finished the book because I was on a train with nothing else to read. It was the point where Brown confuses public key and one time pad crypto whilst attempting to explain how public keys work that really got me.[/quote]

3) An article you may like: [url="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-is-everyone-so-mean-these-days-17895.shtml"]Why Is Everyone So Mean These Days?[/url]

[b]I really don't want to be mean, I'm just a hardcore [url="http://www.skeptic.com/the_magazine/featured_articles/da_vinci_code.html"]skeptic[/url] ^_^[/b]

[quote name='Mad' date='Feb 22 2006, 02:40 PM']Sorry to intrude, but I just have to say this...

[quote name='Azrael' date='Feb 22 2006, 04:51 PM']- The Da Vinci Code is one of the best books I've read in a while, it's been long since a book got me so bad that I have a hard time stopping reading it. I'm looking forward to reading Angels & Demons afterwards, by the same author, book in which the main character of the Da Vinci Code also appears. It's so fun to see the church saying it's all a lie and saying the book is this and  that and don't read it because blah blah blah, they don't seem to realise the more they speak against something, the more people want to read / watch it, looking forward to the movie!
[right][post="146911"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I absolutely and totally agree! Is one of my favourite books after all. Read Meteor - by the same author - it's not as good as the Da Vinci Code, but it's fascinating nevertheless.
[right][post="146916"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Cool, will read it =b

[quote name='kafros' date='Feb 22 2006, 08:06 PM']1) It's a nice thing you like working on Fallen Az, good job and good luck =b

2) Ok, I really don't want to be mean with you guys, but I just have to express my opinion:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4065895.stm"]French fatigue over Da Vinci Code[/url]

Ok, Dan Brown has some talent, as he was able to write a few books that became best sellers and helped him create a huge fan club. [b]THERE IS NO PROBLEM READING DAN BROWN'S BOOKS IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THEM![/b]

[b]But[/b], involving all that fictional stuff in his books and making people believe they are true, hey, that's bad! Mr. Brown, don't make people more stupid than they already are...

Opus Dei, cryptography, Da Vinci, and many many more... That gets annoying...

All the Dan Brown universe is just the latest trend in "best-sellers"

[url="http://www.the-manifest.org/tm2/22/conspiracy.html"]Conspiracy in Art: A Dan-to-Dan Letter By Dan Schneider[/url]

[url="http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/blog/?p=570"]http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/blog/?p=570[/url]

[quote name='From a blog']I agree with max. I quite enjoyed reading The Da Vinci Code despite it’s factual inaccuracies, predictable plot and paper thin characters. It took me an evening to read and was better than anything that I would otherwise have watched on telly.

Digital Fortress on the other hand just pissed me off. I only finished the book because I was on a train with nothing else to read. It was the point where Brown confuses public key and one time pad crypto whilst attempting to explain how public keys work that really got me.[/quote]

3) An article you may like: [url="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-is-everyone-so-mean-these-days-17895.shtml"]Why Is Everyone So Mean These Days?[/url]

[b]I really don't want to be mean, I'm just a hardcore [url="http://www.skeptic.com/the_magazine/featured_articles/da_vinci_code.html"]skeptic[/url] ^_^[/b]
[right][post="146955"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Well, the Da Vinci Code is a fiction novel, whether you want to believe in it or not is your problem, I personally don't have any reasons to believe in it (except for the things that ARE truth, like the catolic church absorbing all those other religions to be more "popular", kinda like the Borg). The problem is that it is so well written that it actually sounds like it's truth in all points, but people have to keep in mind that it's *fiction*, if people are stupid enough to confuse fiction with reality, then that's not Dan Brown's fault.

Guest Azrael
- Finished the Da Vinci Code, I *loved* the book, but I'm somewhat disappointed by the ending, I cannot help but feel that the bad guys won ;)

- Starting this new semester next week :(

- Playing: Call of Duty 2, awesome game, haven't played a war FPS this good in a while!

- Bought Object Oriented Software Construction, by Bertrand Meyer, RK's suggestion, also I'm printing an HTML 4.0 manual as I've finished reading about PHP and MySQL and need to expand my html knowledge :) Edited by Azrael

[quote name='Azrael' date='Mar 1 2006, 07:50 PM']- Finished the Da Vinci Code, I *loved* the book, but I'm somewhat disappointed by the ending, I cannot help but feel that the bad guys won ;)[/quote]

Bad guys won and you are dissapointed? It is unusual, it makes the book special, there are not many books without happy ending nowadays... Mostly all-out happy ending or mostly happy, "but evil still lurks in dark corners" (in case of serials, so there is something to write about in the next book). I guess I should read this book then. Edited by UnFleshed One

Guest Azrael
[quote name='UnFleshed One' date='Mar 2 2006, 01:07 AM'][quote name='Azrael' date='Mar 1 2006, 07:50 PM']- Finished the Da Vinci Code, I *loved* the book, but I'm somewhat disappointed by the ending, I cannot help but feel that the bad guys won ;)[/quote]

Bad guys won and you are dissapointed? It is unusual, it makes the book special, there are not many books without happy ending nowadays... Mostly all-out happy ending or mostly happy, "but evil still lurks in dark corners" (in case of serials, so there is something to write about in the next book). I guess I should read this book then.
[right][post="147568"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Oh, I loved the ending, it's awesome B) but that doesn't mean that on a personal level, I wouldn't have wanted to see the good guys win in this case :)

Guest Azrael
I want to share one of my favourite song lyrics
a translated version :
[quote]From the sea they saw them come
My feathered brothers

They may be the bearded men
From the awaited prophecy

The voice of the monarch was heard
The Gods were here
And we opened the doors to them
Fearing the unknown

They came mounted in beasts
Like an evil demon
They carried fire in their hands
And they were covered in steel...

Only the courage of a few
Opposed to them
And we saw the blood run
We were filled with shame

Because Gods neither eat
Nor enjoy with the stolen
And when we realised
Everything was lost

And in that error we gave away
The greatness of the past
And in that error we remained
Slaves for 300 years

We were damned with the curse
Of giving to the foreigner
Our faith, our culture
Our bread, our money...

And we are still trading
Gold for glass trinkets
And we give them our riches
For their shiny mirrors

Today, in the middle of the 20th Century
We are still getting blondes
And we open our houses
And we call them friends

But if an indian
Arrives tired, from roaming the land
We laugh and look at him
As a stranger in his own land

You, hypocrete that you show yourself
Humble before the foreigner
But you become arrogant
With your brothers

Oh! Curse of Malinche
Nurse of the present
When will you leave my land
When will you make my people free[/quote]

It deals about the spanish and english coming here, slaughtering everyone and stealing everything from us, quite a sad, really sad song.

Guest Azrael
[quote name='dipstick' date='Mar 3 2006, 10:30 AM']That... is really something to brighten up the day.

However, on a lighter note, all I have to say is: [color="red"][b]2-1[/b][/color] :naughty:
[right][post="147621"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
2-1 ? :huh:

edit: oh, I see, I hadn't realised we had played :) haven't been keeping track of matches, or tv in general for that matter. I'm not surprised, I enjoy watching Uruguay play, but even with some great players that are internationally requested, we suck :P
We used to be champions, there went all the glory :laugh: Edited by Azrael

ROFL Well, I only heard the score, didn't know who we were playing, yet when Uruguay were mentioned, I thought I had better drop it in somewhere, very subtly LOL

Guest Azrael
English subtelty... :rolleyes:

- Just finished making the new application for Fallen, now all I have to do is making the interface pretty and we're in business!

- I'm tweaking the whole interface of the site to make it more pretty, right now that purple whirlpool thingy looks bad, IMO.

Guest Azrael
- Still working on improving the interface.

- Loki has put up Combat, it is ready to be tested, I have already killed everyone I found :P

- I finished basic trading with planet, I just added the last line which will allow players without an entry in the database to have one, right now it's just a number, but I will continue to enhance it as we discuss the database layout with Loki and Feline in the forum.

- Today starts my semester :( in fact, in 3 hours :( :( :(

- Well, now that I'm over my initial disappointment in UFO: Aftershock, I'm quite enjoying the game, the resource and track system is still pretty crappy, IMHO, but that aside, the game is enjoyable. Hope they remove that stupid system in Afterlight.

- Galactic Civilizations 2 has been released! Should I get it? hmmm

Guest Azrael
- I'm green again! I've just oficially resigned from the Senior Team, leaving Mad in charge, he makes such pretty red.. ^_^ You can read [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6095&view=findpost&p=135125"] this[/url] old and interesting post regarding Mad.

- Just fixed a bug in the Trade system in Fallen.

- ATeX is now MIA :( hope you have luck in your work and life =b see you around.

Guest Azrael
- Made the database changes in Fallen required to do most of trade, though we now need cronjobs to work on planet ticks, etc. Now I'm working in playertrade.

- My time availability has been dramatically decreased, so my presence in the workshops will be minimal. Two online projects are too much for the kind of time table I have nowadays, and programming Fallen takes quite a bit for an unexperienced guy like me.
I've just posted that I won't be keeping the news anymore. Also posted about outdated forum descriptions, thing I did twice IIRC but the descriptions are still there, obviously, there were more I believe, but I no longer remember.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Azrael
Final post, I hope someone enjoyed this little log of mine, thank you all for your attention during this year-and-so, to be continued somewhere in blogspot.

• 4 months later...
Guest Azrael

Lost my Blogspot password and cannot reset my password, plus I never really used it, I missed this small space of mine, it's been 5 *sob* hard months.

Now.....!

- This semester things are looking up to me, finally, had to happen someday, I did great on Linear Algebra 1, passed it without having to take the exam, took the Calculus 1 exam and passed it, though it was hard, and today I had my physics exam, or should I say 'examS' as I had two, Practical and Theoretical. I got a 10 / 12 in my Practical part, and got a 3 / 12 on my Theoretical part (no judging, it was bloody hard!).

I was scared of the Practical, as if I failed it, I would fail the entire exam no matter what, but I did better on it than I did on Theo, though the practise exams I made I did great on Theo and not that good on Practical, I guess I was lucky!

- The Fallen is finally starting to shape up! Now we have NPCs, combat, combat skills, XP, Missions, Alliances, etc, etc, and we are getting loads of banned Pardus players! recently moop was banned from Pardus, same as the respected Imperius Blackheart, one of the most liked players, falsely accused of Multiaccounting, same as 90% of us, funny thing is that he never did say anything that would have gotten him banned, but I've come to the conclusion that our two Austrian friends from Pardus really need to get lives and some girlfriends.

- Currently playing: Half Life 2 and Quake 4, looking to finish again HL2 so I can buy HL2: Episode 1 and check it out, though I was disappointed by HL2 and still am, I was pleasantly surprised by Quake 4 though, pretty nicely done FPS, nice usage of the Doom 3 engine, and a much better job at it than Doom.

Gotten recently too Heroes of Might and Magic V, though I haven't had the chance to play much.

Tested the demo of Sword of the Stars, as posted in StrategyCore, the game's interface is simply stunning, and music is excellent, but I did not get the feeling that this was my wet dream come true as I had originally imagined, is it possible that no one can beat Master of Orion II??? MOO3 looked like what I was looking for, but too much micromanagement and endless waiting for turns to pass destroyed the game for me, I have been looking for a game like Ascendancy in ages, nothing has come close, except MOO2, but the lack of space lanes hasn't made it as fun...

• 1 month later...
- Leaving for the Pilsen Rock again, can't believe it's passed a whole year after the last time I went (I made a monster post about it), so see you all on Monday, maybe the forum has come back to life by then.