XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Server Suggestion

Brick-To-Face

• 9 months later...

Another thing, about the down-time problem of the main-server.

My question is, what exactly iss the problem with the server (WHY is it offline so oft/long)? Do you have problems with the domain-host, is the server it self unstable, or what is it?

In case of a domain-problem, isn't there any way of using the source-forge for a kind of "master-server"? I mean some kind of server, that is contacted by ufo-2k-servers, that just have startet anywhere, to tell the master-server "I'm on, an my IP iss...", who from now on is checking, if the server is existing any longer in apropsiate time-intervals. So if you start ufo2k, for playing, the game contacts the master-server at source-forge, to obtain a list of currently online servers, of which the user can choose (maybe with some stats, like, how many players currently logged on, how many waiting for a game, etc...).

The Elite-Force-community knows this as the masterserver, who recieves the a heart-beat-signal (if not turned of by the server-starter, to keep it unknown) of the actual game-server. I don't know, if this would be possible to hava a master-server at source-forge, but the traffic is probably much less, than that one of the downloads of the installers, an so on. But it is a really stable domain, so the problem if the main server is failing again iss minimal, because you can choose another one, that is currently available.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it would be great if we had some daemon/service modules, which could bu run to connect to a server when we are willing to play. It would sit there as a chat module, watching for othwer users to connect and alarming the master. This way we could be on-line at he server, making kind of signal "i'm here! i want to fight!", but we won't need to launch the game itself only tosit and wait for other (some.. at least any!) players to connect. And There's no need to remove the chat option from the game, but only to add the optional daemon module.

And it would be a good idea to make some kind of list of registered players with their stats and (attention!) little mailboxes, so players could leave some messages to other players even if the are offline. Of course there should be some limit on those mailboxes - or there's a spam hazard...

Perhaps we should code in a feature to search for active servers? I've seen many online games do this. Although, we do have other larger priorities that need to be solved, such as getting a stable release for 0.8x build. And that takes developer time...which seems to be somewhat "dead" at this time. Hopefully we can look at taking interest in looking for more programmers (AndyS could be a good candidate. Although, not sure if anyone checked his work). Anyway, until then, the thought for such features will have to be put on hold, sorry.